TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
View Poll Results: Do you use standby mode on your Tivo(s) on a regular basis?
Yes 21 21.88%
No 72 75.00%
Other 0 0%
Poll Fail 3 3.13%
Voters: 96. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump

Old 08-18-2013, 11:46 AM   #31
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

nooneuknow, I'm conducting a poll here, please stop pooping on it. If you want to know different information, by all means, go ahead and start your own poll.
Old 08-18-2013, 11:56 AM   #32
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
nooneuknow, I'm conducting a poll here, please stop pooping on it. If you want to know different information, by all means, go ahead and start your own poll.
Hey, I was just offering perspective on something YOU said, just like dianebrat did.

I'm not breaking any rules, so you don't get to tell me what to do.

You've tried before, but you can't control free speech. Especially when it's a relevant response to something YOU posted.

As expected, you didn't tell dianebrat to shut up, or however you want to word it, when she quoted and replied to the same thing. Yet, you don't like what I said, and think you have some power to stop me from commenting on the same thing, which you posted.

Again, the poll was MY idea. So, I'll comment all I like! (as long as it is relevant to standby, the poll, and anything else you, or anybody else, posts).

As I've said already, I'll give THIS poll, time to run it's course, and then run my own. You know exactly what would happen if I started my own when this one has already started, and is still early in getting replies.

You also said this:
Quote:
There is nothing scientific about the poll (or any poll here on tcf) and any results have virtually no meaning.
So, if it has no science or meaning, what am I hurting about something YOU just described in such a manner? True answer: NOTHING (based on your own words).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-18-2013 at 12:09 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I'm not telling you what to do, I'm asking (not telling) you to stop pooping on my poll by claiming it's flawed simply because it's not the poll you wanted dianebrat to create.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #34
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Sorry, I had forgotten about the ignore list option.
The problem has been taken care of.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #35
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Sorry, I had forgotten about the ignore list option.
The problem has been taken care of.
Awesome. The feeling is completely mutual. Now you won't see this, or my other posts, and I don't have to deal with you always telling me to shut up, go away, or otherwise tell me what to do, or not do. Excellent!

Happy, Happy, Joy, Joy Joy!!!
Old 08-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #36
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Other TiVo Standby mode poll running concurrently

It may be of interest that scandia101 has started TWO polls on standby, now concurrently.

No surprise to me that this has not been mentioned in this thread.

Here's the other one:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507535
Old 08-18-2013, 02:44 PM   #37
lpwcomp

nooneuknow,

Was it really necessary for you to resurrect a thread that had been dead for more than a year with this post?

Plus nobody gives a rodent's posterior that it was you who first suggested that someone else set up a poll on the subject of standby mode. If you felt so strongly about, why didn't you set it up yourself?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 02:53 PM   #38
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
nooneuknow,

Was it really necessary for you to resurrect a thread that had been dead for more than a year with this post?

Plus nobody gives a rodent's posterior that it was you who first suggested that someone else set up a poll on the subject of standby mode. If you felt so strongly about, why didn't you set it up yourself?
It's kind of baffling about his claim that it was his idea when what he did was tell someone else to do it and that person hasn't given any indication that she gives a rodent's posterior about me doing it.
Old 08-18-2013, 02:54 PM   #39
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
nooneuknow,

Was it really necessary for you to resurrect a thread that had been dead for more than a year with<snip>?

I deleted that post. Sorry, I'm still thinking it's 2012 every now and then, or just missed that somehow. I was looking for RECENT threads that had "standby" in the title, and made a mistake. Geez... How do you think I even found the second poll?

I don't yet know how to set up a poll, wanted to do it right, and was sleep deprived at the time I suggested it to dianebrat. I woke up to find scandia101 did it. I don't have a time machine or a DeLorean, so that's how it came to be. If you're going to b***h at somebody about this, why not the one who set up concurrently running polls...

I wanted to set up a better poll, but I felt running one concurrently was a bad idea, no matter how I looked at it. So, what happens? sacandia101 does a concurrent poll, and doesn't even link the two... I posted I was going to wait, and not do a concurrent poll until the existing one ran it's course and time passed. Kinda smells like something done out of spite.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-18-2013 at 03:02 PM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #40
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
It's kind of baffling about his claim that it was his idea when what he did was tell someone else to do it and that person hasn't given any indication that she gives a rodent's posterior about me doing it.
I indeed do not give a rodents behind on the inner details of standby mode what I know is that it's a useful but niche feature and the majority of users don't need/want/care about it, yet some believe it's vital to Tivo usage and intend to beat the topic until it's turned in to glue.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:16 PM   #41
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
I deleted that post. Sorry, I'm still thinking it's 2012 every now and then, or just missed that somehow. I was looking for RECENT threads that had "standby" in the title, and made a mistake. Geez...

I don't yet know how to set up a poll, wanted to do it right, and was sleep deprived at the time I suggested it to dianebrat. I woke up to find scandia101 did it. I don't have a time machine or a DeLorean, so that's how it came to be. If you're going to b***h at somebody about this, why not the one who set up concurrently running polls...
The only thing I'm "b***h"ing about is your constant whining and cross posting. Stop taking every disagreement with your opinions as personal attacks worthy of a counter attack.

Finally, if you can't be bothered to learn how to set up a poll, don't complain about the one(s) that have been set up.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #42
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Had you stuck to whether, or not, anybody uses it, without adding "on a regular basis", I think the numbers would be different. That simple variable you added adds complexities, and a slant in what I know you want to see.

More people use it on just their bedroom TiVo, than on their Living Room ones. How do I know? It's been posted by others, besides myself, that a TiVo in Standby, in your bedroom, creates a darker, cooler, and quieter room, more conducive to being able to fall asleep. Yes, I know some people can fall asleep with a WWII movie on at full volume, but not all can. Some NEED dark, quiet, and a comfortable temperature.
For what little it's worth even removing the modifier doesn't change my answer. I think I've used standby one, in over a decade, and that was double checking it's behavior on (series 1) DirecTV-TiVos. [That test confirmed that it stopped them buffering LiveTV, but didn't clear the buffer. A minute after you woke it back up you'd have a buffer with 29 minutes worth of pre-standby material plus 1 minute of post-standby material with just a visual glitch at the transition point]

Even when I had a TiVo in the bedroom I didn't put it in standby. But then I like white noise while I sleep and the TiVo wasn't audible over the room fan that was already running. Now I've just got the one livingroom TiVo unit so light/noise is even less of an issue.

In that same decade or so of TiVo usage I can only think of once an EMS test interupted a scheduled recording.

That said, if there was a one time configuration that slaved my TiVo's standby setting to the TV's power state (using HMDI CEC) I'd probably enable that just for the miniscule power savings. But as it is I can't be bothered to switch to an otherwise unneeded universal remote, or go through the menus, just to put the TiVo in standby when I'm done watching TV.
Old 08-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #43
mattack

I used to do it VERY religiously, then I think after I got my P4, stopped doing it as often.. but very recently (last week or two) started doing it more often again.

EAS is one reason (I guess I'm on a different sub-node of Comcast since I'm in a different city, an we get, as mentioned by someone else, "required tests" it seems like a couple times a month, at midnight.. and they sometimes show several 'pages' of info)..

Also, I still have a TivoHD connected too, and it has no capacity gauge (yes, I'm one of those people who DOES care about how full it is), so if it happens to not have recently deleted or suggestions, I'm not sure how empty it really is... so I put it in standby to hopefully start recording suggestions again sooner.. (Not after X minutes of inactivity.)

P4 seems to be more willing to just record suggestions while I'm using it (though if I go to On Demand, then it often stops the suggestion, even if there are enough tuners available).
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote