TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 AM   #151
logic88

I thought Oliver did a very poor job with the RAnd Paul interview tonight. He just served up a bunch of softballs to Paul and didn't debate any of the talking points that Paul brought up.
logic88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:01 AM   #152
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
I thought Oliver did a very poor job with the RAnd Paul interview tonight. He just served up a bunch of softballs to Paul and didn't debate any of the talking points that Paul brought up.
He did talk about how he felt that the Health is one place that he felt the government should be involved in, and that if he got sick he'd fly back to the UK because they would take care of him. So there's that. Otherwise, he didn't push back.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:42 PM   #153
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

The Act Of Killing looks like one of those documentaries I'd love to watch but I'm not sure I could survive it.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:12 AM   #154
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I thought Oliver and Regis were fun together last night. Regis tried to act as if he knew about Oliver, but it seemed pretty obvious he didn't. But they played off each other well. And dayim....Reigs looks great for 82 years old!! I doubt I'll watch his show though.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:58 AM   #155
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
the interview has been john's weakest segment while subbing for stewart, but he's done a great job overall. jon should have no problem transitioning right back into the show, just like he never left.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #156
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I was always wondering how John would handle the political interviews. It seemed like the first week or two had very few such guests - mostly stars and authors. The political guests came later after he was a bit more comfortable. But I, at least, wasn't expecting Jon Stewart's standard. He's done well enough.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 11:28 AM   #157
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

Quote:
Yesterday's interview with Gillebrand was interesting. His initial question about Gillebrand's ties to Wall Street was a zinger but it's a shame that he let her off the hook by not following up.

(Or maybe he did in the extended segment but I didn't "go to the web".)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
She did the politician dance around that question very nicely, didn't she?

It's a comedy show, but it was a tiny bit sad that we didn't go farther there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
the interview has been john's weakest segment while subbing for stewart, but he's done a great job overall. jon should have no problem transitioning right back into the show, just like he never left.
Oliver was on Charlie Rose this week -- the episode should be available for viewing online:

http://www.charlierose.com/schedule

One of the things they talked about a lot was the interview segments.

Oliver was on for the full hour. Highly recommended. It was fascinating to get the peek behind the scenes. (Disclaimer: I don't watch The Daily Show, but it was still interesting to hear what it was like to have someone guest-hosting someone else's show.)
Old 08-15-2013, 12:48 PM   #158
YCantAngieRead
Not Entirely Current

So if Oliver is having his last week hosting, when is Stewart back?
Old 08-15-2013, 01:02 PM   #159
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCantAngieRead View Post
So if Oliver is having his last week hosting, when is Stewart back?
the hollywood reporter says september 3rd:
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/liv...p-daily-607290

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
Old 08-15-2013, 01:27 PM   #160
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

They are taking a break for the remainder of the summer.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:53 PM   #161
DeDondeEs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
They are taking a break for the remainder of the summer.
Man, must be nice.
DeDondeEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #162
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Man, must be nice.
Given all the research they do especially for the contradictory history. I am sure they appreciate some time off.

They probably work just as much as the 5 day a week people.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:02 PM   #163
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeDondeEs View Post
Man, must be nice.
That would be a break from broadcasting. I'm sure they are still working.

Last edited by waynomo : 08-16-2013 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Damn smartphone autocorrect!!!
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:39 AM   #164
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I think they take a few weeks off every summer. It is USUALLY the slowest time for news and ratings, and well, don't a lot of us take our vacations in the summer?

I have to say, I'm looking forward to JS coming back, but I think I'll miss JO subbing too. I fully expected to bail on the show after awhile until JS comes back, but JO did a great job.

It fun having current and former cast come in and give JO a "sendoff" last night. Really funny.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #165
lambertman
I'm a man, I'm 40

I'd be surprised if part of the time off wasn't put to use in producing field pieces.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and elsewhere
Play-by-play announcer at .... let me get back to you
lambertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:48 AM   #166
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

i hope they turn off all the lights and equipment, and go far away for two weeks. they deserve it!

Old 08-16-2013, 08:59 AM   #167
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
i hope they turn off all the lights and equipment, and go far away for two weeks. they deserve it!
So you want to force them all to take two weeks of their precious vacation time now and not when they want it?

Nazi!

I figure since this thread was winding down with JS's return someone needed to keep this thread in line with Godwin's law.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #168
Ereth

So, Piers Morgan called John Oliver out on the $10k reward for the video of him falling off a Segway and was rather pissy about it, saying that if he hadn't received it by the end of the business day he'd make sure Jon Stewart "takes it out of your measly salary". I'm rather surprised Oliver didn't respond to that last night.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:33 AM   #169
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
So, Piers Morgan called John Oliver out on the $10k reward for the video of him falling off a Segway and was rather pissy about it, saying that if he hadn't received it by the end of the business day he'd make sure Jon Stewart "takes it out of your measly salary". I'm rather surprised Oliver didn't respond to that last night.
All I want to say to Piers Morgan is "Lighten up Francis!!"
Old 08-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #170
eddyj

When he fell, did they call the whaaaaaaambulance?
eddyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:35 PM   #171
busyba
The Funcooker

If you watch the Piers Morgan clip itself, rather than just read the transcript, I think it becomes clear that Piers is being tongue in cheek about it. His appears to be a very dry British wit that doesn't always translate well, especially in written form. That was the vibe that I got, anyway.

And I also had first read what he had said in an article and thought that he was being a huge dick, but when I then saw the video, I came to view it differently.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #172
busyba
The Funcooker

That isn't to say that there wasn't probably a tinge of ill-will underlying the whole piece, but I don't think he was being serious overall.

Old 08-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #173
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
So Piers did produce a video of him falling off the Segway? Where is it? I'm sure given the circumstances, TDS would gladly pay the $10k to Morgan to be able to pay off that joke on the air.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:01 PM   #174
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
So Piers did produce a video of him falling off the Segway? Where is it? I'm sure given the circumstances, TDS would gladly pay the $10k to Morgan to be able to pay off that joke on the air.
Yes. It had gone up on youtube long before John Oliver talked about it.

(skip to about 40 seconds in)

Old 08-16-2013, 02:05 PM   #175
busyba
The Funcooker

Here's Piers' response to John Oliver:

Old 08-16-2013, 02:38 PM   #176
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

whew, good thing john oliver works on a comedy show, someone might expect him to pay up! piers morgan can be such an a$$ at times, i miss larry king.

Old 08-16-2013, 02:47 PM   #177
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Lame video. How do we even know that was Piers who fell? All we see is someone falling in the distance and we never see that person's face either before or after. Why didn't the person filming then rush up to the person who fell?
Old 08-16-2013, 04:15 PM   #178
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
If you watch the Piers Morgan clip itself, rather than just read the transcript, I think it becomes clear that Piers is being tongue in cheek about it. His appears to be a very dry British wit that doesn't always translate well, especially in written form. That was the vibe that I got, anyway.

And I also had first read what he had said in an article and thought that he was being a huge dick, but when I then saw the video, I came to view it differently.
I haven't seen the transcript, only the video, and he seems very upset, especially as he goes on to list his injuries and then mention the "measly little salary" Oliver makes. It doesn't seem tongue-in-cheek to me at all. Obviously it's always possible I misread it, of course, but it sure seemed like he was a bit annoyed about the whole thing.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 04:55 PM   #179
busyba
The Funcooker

The subtext is annoyance, certainly, but I don't think he genuinely believes that he is entitled to or expects to be given $10,000.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:06 PM   #180
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I think they take a few weeks off every summer.
And other times throughout the year also.