TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
DrLightning

How do I use cable TiVo video inputs?

I have an old [cable] TiVo that I bought around 2002, but that I haven't used in many years.
Manufacturer: Philips
Software: 3.0-01-1-000
TiVo Account Status: 5: Product Lifetime Service
Copyright notice: (C) 1999-2002 by TiVo Inc.
I finally got the phone call working and it's ready to use... once I have an input to it.

I would like to connect to a new digital TV adapter that has composite video out and channel 3 RF out. I would rather use the composite video out rather than the channel 3 RF out.

On the back of the TiVo, I see composite video inputs, but I have no clue on how to select them. Is it just a special channel number? Is it some configuration somewhere?
DrLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:43 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

There is one composite input. You'll have to go through guided setup to tell it what's connected where.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #3
Davelnlr_

Yes, those old Tivo's work great in the guest room. I have a Sony Tivo hooked up with a Comcast DTA box. You will need the IR blaster to change the channels on the DTA box. Luckily I found a codeset that worked with it. Mine didnt have anything except RF channel 3/4, so that is what I used. The quality is quite acceptable on a small (under 32") screen.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:12 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davelnlr_ View Post
Yes, those old Tivo's work great in the guest room. I have a Sony Tivo hooked up with a Comcast DTA box. You will need the IR blaster to change the channels on the DTA box. Luckily I found a codeset that worked with it. Mine didnt have anything except RF channel 3/4, so that is what I used. The quality is quite acceptable on a small (under 32") screen.
He won't necessarily need an IR blaster, the Philips Tivos have a built in IR emitter on the front bezel.
Old 07-29-2013, 06:50 AM   #5
DrLightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
There is one composite input. You'll have to go through guided setup to tell it what's connected where.
How do I cause the TiVo to go through guided setup again?
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrLightning View Post
How do I cause the TiVo to go through guided setup again?
TiVo button, Messages and Settings, Restart or Reset System, Repeat Guided Setup.

Have the DTA already on and tuned to a channel that comes in well so that it's feeding video to the yellow jack on the back of the TiVo (the dual set of yellow, white, and red jacks are outputs, the single set is the sole line level input set), because the TiVo has to be detecting a signal on that input when you tell it there's something on that input, or it'll never finish GS.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:35 AM   #7
DrLightning

..whew! Almost bricked my TiVo. Once you start Guided Setup, it seems it will never do anything else but try to finish. Had unreliable modem behavior, but finally completed first call.

NOW AT FORK IN ROAD: I intend to use my over-the-air digital TV converter box (APEX DT504) and I don't know what answer to give for service provider. Do I select "Over the Air Only - Antenna" or "None of the Above"?
Old 08-14-2013, 02:15 PM   #8
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I got some bad news for you. It's not going to work. The series 1 Tivo's are not compatible with digital OTA TV. But I think there are ways to get some limited channels (no sub-channels) by using a converter box that uses the same ir code as an old DISH receiver.
Old 08-14-2013, 07:31 PM   #9
DrLightning

scandia101, that's not unexpected news at all. In order to get to that compromise point, which selection might work best for me, "Over the Air Only - Antenna" or "None of the Above"?

I have no clue what "None of the Above" is going to do. Is it going to send me back to an earlier step, or let me do something custom, or at least let me move forward in some manner?

In the end, if I must do all my recording by channel/date/time without season's passes, then I can deal with that. I just need for it to think I have channels, and send IR codes hopefully to change the Apex DT504 channels (or other if I must spend the money).
Old 08-14-2013, 07:35 PM   #10
DrLightning

...I forgot to say thank you. Thank you, scandia101. Next, can you or someone else please suggest a path on which I can hobble forward?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:08 AM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The Apex DT504 isn't on the list of compatible converters
http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/310
so going further into the setup would be pointless at this time. You'll need a different converter
If you pull the plug on the Tivo in the middle of the guided setup, it will start over from the beginning when it is plugged back in and restarts.

try this
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=467966
Old 08-15-2013, 03:08 AM   #12
replaytv
I <3 Wintergreen

You can tell the box that you are using Dish and then use a Dish Network DTVPal or DTVpal plus converter box for antenna TV. The IR codes will control the box OK, but only some of the stations will be correct on the TV guide, and the TiVo can't tune the dash stations like 9-3. You can also use this method to have a dual tuner Series 2 work for Antenna TV. If you live in Denver I have a DTV box you can borrow to test it out if you like. I myself would just get a Series 2 single tuner or HD model with lifetime if you have the money. Life is too short to be messing with stuff like that. I only mess with it because I am unemployable, although I do have all HD TiVos now that I use in my house. Although I have a basement full of Series 1 and 2 lifetime boxes of all sorts.
replaytv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 05:37 AM   #13
DrLightning

replaytv: I hear you about time spent. I haven't spent much yet, and you remind me that I shouldn't spend much more.

scandia101: Thanks for the additional advice. Since I had such difficulty getting the first phone call to work, I don't want to risk starting guided setup from the beginning again, just in case I can never get past the phone call again, thus "bricking" the TiVo for good. That's why I'm being very careful about this fork in the road.

So, PLEASE at this point, rather than advising me on all the problems, can you or anyone tell me what will happen next after I select "None of the Above"? Will the TiVo tend to move backward in the process, or does it have a path forward? Alternatively, if I select "Over the Air Only - Antenna", what will it do in my context?

If I end up having to only ever do on-demand recording by changing channels manually and hitting record, then that's acceptable as well.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:03 AM   #14
MScottC

As is Davelnlr_, I too am using an original Phillips Series 1 in my guest room along with a Comcast DTA (Digital Tuning Adapter) which is provided for free by Comcast. I don't think I could get one now for no charge, but they provided them when they decided to drop all the analog channels. I am also using an infrared blaster, which I had sitting around. While channel changing is a bit sluggish, it definitely works.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:21 AM   #15
ggieseke

I don't know what happens on a Series 1 if you choose None of the Above. My advice would be to choose satellite, then DirecTV because their local channels are usually on the same channel as the OTA equivalents. You can change the IR codeset it's using later on without going back through the entire Guided Setup.

If you pick Over the Air Only - Antenna it will never try to use the IR blaster to change channels.

Edit: That Apex box will probably work. Most of them use the same IR code (10020) as a Hughes satellite box.

Last edited by ggieseke : 08-15-2013 at 06:27 AM.
ggieseke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:05 PM   #16
unitron

Warning to new S1 users--the internal modems are fragile and the least spike on the phone line can put them out of service, forcing you to use an external modem connected to the serial port, or to install an aftermarket TiVo-specific Ethernet card inside the TiVo (if you can find one for sale somewhere).

Suggest tying a knot in both ends of the phone cord near the ends at the very least.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote