TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #1
JHawk

What's involved with using a non-subscribed premier as a cablebox

Been thinking about what to do with my new unsubscribed Premier now that I don't need (or can use) the hard drive in my series 3 HD.
I'd like to add another tv to my man cave in an area that does not have cable access (no outlet nearby). Can I hook the Premier wirelessly to my home network and with a cablecard get cable? I realize that I lose the Tivo functions but I don't care I basically just want a tuner. The local cable company is a monopoly so I don't want their STB plus I doubt if it has a wireless option.
I looked around a bit on the forums and got the impression that once the Premier connected to the "mothership" that Tivo has a software update that will make it a brick without a subscription. Is that the case?
These seem like kind of dumb questions...but my Tivos are so old I haven't kept up with what's new.
TIA,
JHawk
JHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:23 AM   #2
steve614
what ru lookin at?

The Premiere would just be a replacement for a cable box. You will need a cable outlet wherever you put it. It will not pick up the cable channels through the network.
As far as functionality, unsubscribed you get two tuners, each with a 30 minute buffer. That's it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:32 PM   #3
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
The Premiere would just be a replacement for a cable box. You will need a cable outlet wherever you put it. It will not pick up the cable channels through the network.
As far as functionality, unsubscribed you get two tuners, each with a 30 minute buffer. That's it.
Unless they've recently given back what they've taken away, there is no buffer on non-subscribed Premieres. All you get is live tv with no ability to pause rw or ff.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:09 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Unless they've recently given back what they've taken away, there is no buffer on non-subscribed Premieres. All you get is live tv with no ability to pause rw or ff.
The newest software did put the buffer back in, I do use an un-sub TP with a cable card in a guest room, works great as a tuner and I only pay $1/month for the cable card (now).

Old 08-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Yep. I've got a Premiere I bought cheap way back when, hoping TiVo would offer some kind of lifetime transfer deal (S2 upgrade). Hopes dashed, I still power it up sometimes and let it update the software.

F*CK CANCER!
Old 08-06-2013, 09:42 PM   #6
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yep. I've got a Premiere I bought cheap way back when, hoping TiVo would offer some kind of lifetime transfer deal (S2 upgrade). Hopes dashed, I still power it up sometimes and let it update the software.
They send SW updates to unsubscribed units?
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 PM   #7
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
They send SW updates to unsubscribed units?
Yes, and they always have.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
murgatroyd
Don't stop believin'

I'm not following your logic here -- IMHO you're looking at this backwards.

Couldn't you sub the Premiere and transfer shows to it from your TiVoHD over the network? Then you'd still have stuff to watch in your man cave.

Yes, you'd have to pay TiVo, but your TiVo fee might be discounted with the MSD (not sure of what qualifies under the current rules). You'd save some money by not paying your cable co for a cable card or extra outlet fee.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #9
True Colors

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
I do use an un-sub TP with a cable card in a guest room, works great as a tuner and I only pay $1/month for the cable card (now).
Seriously? Is this true?

So let me get this straight. If I have a room where I only need to watch shows(e.g, do not need to record anything, do not need to transfer content, etc), then I can use a Tivo premiere without any subscription on it? Just need to pop an active cable card into it and thats it? That seems too good to be true.

What about guide information and updates? Are you able to see those things without a subscription?

TC
True Colors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #10
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by True Colors View Post
Seriously? Is this true?

So let me get this straight. If I have a room where I only need to watch shows(e.g, do not need to record anything, do not need to transfer content, etc), then I can use a Tivo premiere without any subscription on it? Just need to pop an active cable card into it and thats it? That seems too good to be true.
Correct. You still have to call the cable company to get the cable card paired to the Tivo (IIRC).

Quote:
What about guide information and updates? Are you able to see those things without a subscription?

TC
The unit will call in to the TiVo servers about every two weeks instead of the usual daily call, and it will update the software when a new version is available.
Guide info is blocked.
I suspect it is still downloaded to the unit in the off chance that if it is ever subscribed, the info will be there waiting ready for use
(I could be wrong about that though).
You can only change channels by using the UP/DOWN button on the remote, or manually entering the direct channel number.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 08-07-2013 at 01:36 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
lessd

Quote:
Seriously? Is this true?

TC
YES works great for my guest bedroom, I don't even connect the unit to the internet, no reason as I don't need time on the unit as it will not record, you get the channel names but no data on what on the channel, but it still great for a short term guest in your home. You do have to pair the cable card but the Comcast cable card number works for this (877-405-2298). I do unplug the TiVo when I have no guest in the bedroom, after a month or so it may take a few days to get the cable card to get all the channels or you can just call Comcast and have them hit that card by SN.
Note on the first setup the TiVo will update to the newest software, and I guess if the channel lineup changed to much I would have to have the unit call home again, but if the unit is working with the buffer and pause, no reason to ever upgrade the software.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #12
heyted

Quote:
What about guide information and updates?
Some ways to have an interactive guide without TiVo service on a Premiere:

...Using a phone or tablet -- Install the BuddyTV app on your Android phone,
...iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch. I have tested this method using Android only.

...Using a GoogleTV box -- Multiple apps are available, including an app that
...overlays the guide on live tv.

...Using a laptop -- If the laptop is being used with a GoogleTV box connected
...to a TiVo, install the Chrome browser, and install the Chromeote extension. If
...the laptop is not being used with a GoogleTV box, install the virtual remote from
...http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...21#post9291421. I have tested the
...latter method using the Ubuntu operating system only.

I have tested these methods on my Premiere with software version 14.8c only.

Last edited by heyted : 08-11-2013 at 10:07 AM.
heyted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:04 PM   #13
JHawk

One more follow up question....the tv I want to set up is about 30 feet from my cable outlet. I currently have a series 3 HD with lifetime connected to the cable outlet. The series 3 is connected to a HK AVR 1700 which is connected to an Epson projector. Can I use a splitter on the coax and connect the Premier and then use a long run HDMI cable (I've got a 50 ft one I can use) and connect it to TV that I want to wall mount?
I know this seems like a lot of work for a tv when I have a projector but there are times when some guests would rather watch golf than football. I hate to be so cheap but I don't want to pay for a Tivo sub for the Premier when I wouldn't need to use it all that often.
TIA,
JHawk
JHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 06:22 AM   #14
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHawk View Post
Can I use a splitter on the coax and connect the Premier and then use a long run HDMI cable (I've got a 50 ft one I can use) and connect it to TV that I want to wall mount?
And have the Premiere share the cable outlet with the S3?

Yes, that will work.

F*CK CANCER!