TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #1
ELEVO

Power Down Option

Does the S3 Have a Power down Button on Remote? Will theS3 Record My shows while iit's Powered Down "Not Unplugged' ?

I Manage to add a POWER Button to my Logitec Harmony One Remote. It does power the S3 On and Off but not sure if it is recording the Shows /I haven't shut off the S3 because of the Season Pass I have Scheduled on it with OTA Channels.

If I am not Mistaken I remember my Sony SAT-T60 having a power down button on the remote for both, TV and SAT

Thanks again for all your reposnes and Help )

Last edited by ELEVO : 08-12-2013 at 05:01 PM.
ELEVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

A tivo does not turn off. You can put it into standby, where it does record.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:57 PM   #3
unitron

If a TiVo is plugged in, it is on, but if it's in standby (and there are circumstances where you can plug it in and it goes into standby after it boots), then you'll only see a blank screen, but if it's scheduled to record something, and it's plugged in, then it will record it, and I think if you bring it out of standby it'll have the 30 minute cache per tuner available as well for whatever channel the tuner(s) was(were) left on.

Standby is basically just video output disabled.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
ELEVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
A tivo does not turn off. You can put it into standby, where it does record.
So Power of on a Remote is Realy Stand by ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
If a TiVo is plugged in, it is on, but if it's in standby (and there are circumstances where you can plug it in and it goes into standby after it boots), then you'll only see a blank screen, but if it's scheduled to record something, and it's plugged in, then it will record it, and I think if you bring it out of standby it'll have the 30 minute cache per tuner available as well for whatever channel the tuner(s) was(were) left on.

Standby is basically just video output disabled.
Awesome Got it. But what is strange is that my Remote doesnt have the Off Power Option or Stand By :/
Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 PM   #5
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELEVO View Post
Awesome Got it. But what is strange is that my Remote doesnt have the Off Power Option or Stand By :/
Why would the remote need an off button if you can't turn it off? Nothing so strange about that.

The computer in my car doesn't have a mouse but it's never bothered me.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
unitron

Quote:

In order to be turned on by a remote control, a device, any device, has to be drawing at least as much power as needed to have active the circuitry that notices that you've sent it a signal from the remote control and does something in response to that signal.

The TiVo brand "peanut" remote controls have power buttons, but those are for turning on and off other devices, like the TV or the A/V receiver, that you use in conjunction with the TiVo.

Old 08-13-2013, 08:15 AM   #7
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Yes, as far as the Tivo is concerned.

Quote:
But what is strange is that my Remote doesnt have the Off Power Option or Stand By :/
Not really. There are some older Tivo model remotes that do have the stand by button, but I guess TiVo decided that not many people were using the function and reassigned the button to something else.

When you programed your harmony and told it to power down the Tivo, all it is doing is sending the stand by remote code command.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:22 AM   #8
ELEVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Yes, as far as the Tivo is concerned.

Not really. There are some older Tivo model remotes that do have the stand by button, but I guess TiVo decided that not many people were using the function and reassigned the button to something else.

When you programed your harmony and told it to power down the Tivo, all it is doing is sending the stand by remote code command.
Yes that is what the Logitec Harmony Remote does, It puts it in Standby Mode, And the fan shirts down, but today I checked and while it was Supposed to be off which is really standby mode, it recorded My Programs. I am glad it goes on standby mode with the Logitec Remote, and this shuts the fan off that is making a noise, Looks like I am going to have to replace that fan with a more powerful and quite fan
Old 08-14-2013, 02:40 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Yes that is what the Logitec Harmony Remote does, It puts it in Standby Mode, And the fan shirts down, but today I checked and while it was Supposed to be off which is really standby mode, it recorded My Programs. I am glad it goes on standby mode with the Logitec Remote, and this shuts the fan off that is making a noise, Looks like I am going to have to replace that fan with a more powerful and quite fan
Standby turns off the video outputs and the front lights, it does not turn off the fan, the hard drive and everything else is still running and generating heat that needs to be dissipated, so the fan needs to run.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:21 PM   #10
unitron

Quote:
Probably what happened is being in standby meant it generated a little less heat and the fan could run at a lower speed and made enough less noise that you thought it wasn't running at all.

Old 08-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
ELEVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Probably what happened is being in standby meant it generated a little less heat and the fan could run at a lower speed and made enough less noise that you thought it wasn't running at all.
Thanks i Kinda and Sort of Figured that out, kinda like a PC ? Hard Drive only Kicks up when its time to Record a Show or Take some kind of Action. I did speak to a Tivo Rep Yesterday and S3 Does have a Standby Option in its Menu a few Menus Below System Info. But the Tivo S3 Remote Doesn't have the Standby Option or Power Off Button like my old Sony SAT Had. And he was Surprised to hear that i was able to add a Power off/Standby Mode Button onto my Logitech Harmony One Remote. So i am pretty happy with the option of adding a Power Off/Standby Button on my Logitech Remote. It its working i'm Happy )

Thanks for your Help and Input )
Old 08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #12
ELEVO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Standby turns off the video outputs and the front lights, it does not turn off the fan, the hard drive and everything else is still running and generating heat that needs to be dissipated, so the fan needs to run.
Thanks for your input, It appears to be working in that manner )
Old 08-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #13
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I've owned TiVos for over a decade, and I still don't understand the need for standby on a device that is always running. The hard drive doesn't ever idle, because it is always recording buffers. The only thing standby causes is the need to press an extra button all the time. When I want to watch TV, I just turn on the TV.

Am I missing something?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 03:13 AM   #14
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I've owned TiVos for over a decade, and I still don't understand the need for standby on a device that is always running. The hard drive doesn't ever idle, because it is always recording buffers. The only thing standby causes is the need to press an extra button all the time. When I want to watch TV, I just turn on the TV.

Am I missing something?
Yes, the MANY threads debating why people use it, or why TiVos even have it (whether or not that is what the thread topic is), the tiny (but measurable) amount of power it saves, the fact that it stops EAS messages from getting recorded into your programs, and about a dozen other reasons SOME people like it, and actually use it.

It all depends on the TiVo's owner, the TiVo's location (in the house), and many other factors, if it is something you may ever have a use for.

There's people that will go as far as to actually buy special power strips that shut down their whole entertainment center (except any DVR, which they have always-on outlets for), just to save energy, save the planet (not on my list), or hope to save any little bit they can on the electric bill.

From a post of mine in such a thread titled "Standby Mode Schedule?":
Quote:
I, too, am a frequent, at least 1x/day(or night) "Standby Mode" user.

I ALWAYS get heckled/hassled when bringing up this TiVo feature, which has been available for generations of TiVos.

If it had no purpose, no use, no benefits, or no users, WHY WOULD TIVO KEEP IT AROUND?

Here a few reasons, some of which have already been brought up:

1: It DOES save a minute amount of electricity, by shutting down, or lowering power, to components/circuits not necessary if you aren't viewing, leaving only what is required for the base DVR functions fully-operational.

2: It shuts off all the front LEDs on the front of the unit, for those of use who like (or need) pitch-dark when sleeping (and have a TiVo in the bedroom), without having to turn them all off, all of the time, in the settings menu. I like them on, when USING it. I hate it when people tell me to shut them off at all times, as opposed to using standby.

3: It stops EAS from changing the actively tuned channels.

4: It stops EAS from recording the banner into your programs. This situation only happens if your EAS system is one of two types, when you are a digital subscriber. If you are an analog subscriber, I *think* it always gets recorded, as opposed to overlaid, and not recorded (but this won't happen, at all, in Standby).

5: Besides the power saving, it reduces the heat generated, and can result in savings on your air conditioning costs. It also can lower the RPM speed of the cooling fan, due to the lower operating temps, giving you a quieter bedroom, also good for those who want/need a dark & quiet room to sleep in.

I'm sure there is more. I take it a step further, by telling my Guided Setup that I have both Cable & Antenna, even though I have no antenna. I then program in a manual, repeating, 1 minute, recording, for each tuner, to record an antenna channel (this is often called "Tuner Parking", by those who use it), which frees up processing power, minimizes hard drive activity, results in further power savings, less heat, and less hard drive wear/tear/seeking noises. I make sure the resulting Season Pass entries are at the very bottom of my list, and I decided on 4AM for them to start. I also park the tuners, when I see no reason to have my units buffering Live TV, like when I am watching recordings. Parked tuners also speed up other things that rely on the limited processing power of the CPU. DVRs must always give the highest priority to the base DVR functions, as well as giving the highest priority to buffering, or recording, the A/V data to the hard drive. One place you can see the difference, greatly, is when you re-organize your Season Pass list. It's no small difference in the length of time it takes to update a long list of SPs. When "parked", using a non-existent antenna channel, the recording won't show up in your Now Playing List, because it aborts, detecting that there is no signal. No signal equals nothing for the hot-running tuner/decoding/encoding components to process

I, too, would like to see the Standby feature become more easily activated, and customizable.
Then I added (in same thread) :
Quote:
One thing I posted in another thread, which I left out of my standby mode benefit list was: It speeds up network transfers (apparently it frees up enough processor cycles to give the networking performance a boost). Combined with "tuner parking", it can make a bigger difference.
While the gov't has been strong-arming consumer electronics manufacturers to reduce the energy any device consumes while "turned off", the reality is that if you want a remote to be able to turn it back on, without having to go back to the days of remotes with wires attached to the device, all remote-controlled devices are in a "standby" state. Some (more like a few), have a power button that puts them into standby, but holding it down for ten seconds will turn it off, leaving ONLY the remote sensing circuit active.

Another way of looking at things is the computer industry. Intel enhanced speed-step, and turbo-boost, are ways that try to reduce energy consumption, by only ramping up the speed and power consumption of the CPU to what is needed at the time, as opposed to it running full-throttle at all times. Comparing this directly to TiVo would upset some people, so here's my semi-comparison: While standby doesn't reduce the speed of the TiVo processor, it shuts off all light, audio, and video outputs (except the network LEDs on the back). It shuts down anything it can, without affecting the base/core DVR functions. Every part, circuit, processing chip, or portion of processing chip, that gets shut down is less energy consumed, less heat generated, and even frees up enough processing cycles to increase how fast the network can transfer a program from the standby unit to one you are transferring to. Why? TiVo has a bad habit of producing products in which the processing power is underwhelming, and if it were any less, they probably wouldn't even work properly at it's base/core DVR levels. The Premiere line should have used the next gen chip for the job, but it's my understanding that they couldn't get enough of the faster ones, fast enough, to meet their launch date. Now we get stuck with a product that doesn't even meet the minimum requirements, set by Adobe, for the user interface. Maybe the next gen TiVo will change this. I wouldn't hold my breath, though... They didn't learn from the S3/HD, so only time will tell...

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-16-2013 at 05:03 AM. Reason: added quotes from a relavent thread
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #15
Thom

When TiVos first came out, some owners had problems with the TiVo video output always being on. People who used auto-switching video switches to connect their multiple various devices to a TV input, found that the always-on video of the TiVo caused the video switch to "hang" on the TiVo input to the exclusion of the other inputs. These switches were intended to automatically connect whichever video input was active to the TV. This enabled the owner to not have to select the input to use; they simply powered on the single device they wanted to use at the moment and it was automatically connected to the TV. When changing to another device, they just turned off the first device, then turned the second one on. Adding a TiVo to this setup screwed everything up.
Thom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #16
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom View Post
When TiVos first came out, some owners had problems with the TiVo video output always being on. People who used auto-switching video switches to connect their multiple various devices to a TV input, found that the always-on video of the TiVo caused the video switch to "hang" on the TiVo input to the exclusion of the other inputs. These switches were intended to automatically connect whichever video input was active to the TV. This enabled the owner to not have to select the input to use; they simply powered on the single device they wanted to use at the moment and it was automatically connected to the TV. When changing to another device, they just turned off the first device, then turned the second one on. Adding a TiVo to this setup screwed everything up.
That's a good point! I'll make sure to add it to my list, the next time somebody says the whole function should just be removed, claims it doesn't do anything, or otherwise states it has no purpose.

Most (newer) switches come with a remote to force the switch to the desired input. But, remotes get lost, there are usually more involved than people would like to be, and then auto-switching still retains it's value, for both those with old and new switches.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
That's a good point! I'll make sure to add it to my list, the next time somebody says the whole function should just be removed, claims it doesn't do anything, or otherwise states it has no purpose
It's still a niche audience, a vocal minority for sure, but not a "must have" feature for most users.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:35 AM   #18
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
It's still a niche audience, a vocal minority for sure, but not a "must have" feature for most users.
Maybe you should set up a poll and see what the numbers say, before you go speaking for the TCF roster, as a whole. No harm in that, right?
Old 08-17-2013, 03:00 PM   #19
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Maybe you should set up a poll and see what the numbers say, before you go speaking for the TCF roster, as a whole. No harm in that, right?
Considering the number of people that come here to ask clueless questions that they could easily resolve themselves if they only bothered to try, I would guess that the vast majority of people using a Tivo have no idea that standby mode even exists. Of course this is speculation, but it's based on what I've seen here at tcf and other forums over the years.

FWIW, your idea of a poll is as wrong as you think dianebrat's statement is. The generally tech savvy people of tcf are not indicative of the general public, but let's try it anyway.

Poll:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=507509
So far, 100% 78% of voters do not use standby mode

Last edited by scandia101 : 08-17-2013 at 08:08 PM.
scandia101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
steve614
what ru lookin at?

You should have made it where you could see who voted what.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:36 PM   #21
unitron

Quote:
Considering the number of people that come here to ask clueless questions that they could easily resolve themselves if they only bothered to try...
But if one does it that way, one doesn't get to interact with anyone but one's self, thus cruelly depriving one's self of the pleasure of our company.

Old 08-17-2013, 11:16 PM   #22
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
You should have made it where you could see who voted what.
I also, shortly after putting my laptop to rest for the night, thought this:

I should've asked that any poll include the list of things Standby can do for you, with a question like: If you knew all this, would you now use (or try) standby? (for those who don't, and/or don't know the potential benefits and don't)

I guess I should've posted that desired prerequisite then, instead of now. Now we have a poll that doesn't get the answers I'd like to know...

I'd bet that if some people that never used it, and were clueless on all it can offer, knew all of that info, they'd reconsider, or try it. I don't know how many converts it may make, but I'd like to know, if people know and choose not to use it, versus not knowing and not using just because they don't know what it has to offer.

Polls are always slanted by exactly what is asked, what isn't, and the wording. I see a rebuttal poll coming in the future...

It does *seem* that there's a vast majority of non-users that have no clue why the option is even there.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:17 AM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:

It does *seem* that there's a vast majority of non-users that have no clue why the option is even there.
It's interesting how you can deduce what people know or don't know about an option simply because they say they don't use it.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:20 AM   #24
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
It's interesting how you can deduce what people know or don't know about an option simply because they say they don't use it.
I won't even dignify that with a response.