Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-21-2013, 09:29 AM   #661
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewarp View Post
My original S3 gets this all the time. Rebooting eventually leads to a hard error, but works for a year or so. Rerunning the setup clears things out and fixes this temporarily too. From what I have researched, my problem is due to the guide info taking to long to process. So Tivo connects, processes but does not complete before next connection. Next connection resets the process etc etc. Tivo suggests pulling the network cable to let it complete. My solution is to activate parental controls on the router and block Tivo one day a week. Been working like this for couple years.

-jim
Disconnecting the USB cable to the TA for a few hours works for many people. Have you tried that? What is the GC (Garbage Collection) date saying during all this?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 PM   #662
pbakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
Does anyone have a copy of the S03 fix posted at the above link (texasblindjack.com)? The link is down, I just get a "404 Page Not Found" message. Or at least a basic summary of the fix posted there? Thanks.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:38 PM   #663
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbakers View Post
Does anyone have a copy of the S03 fix posted at the above link (texasblindjack.com)? The link is down, I just get a "404 Page Not Found" message. Or at least a basic summary of the fix posted there? Thanks.
The Wayback Machine is your friend: http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://...rom-your-tivo/
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:57 AM   #664
steffen707

I got the S03 error about a year ago, and after doing a guided setup, got stuck in the loop. I cleared everything and started over. I was lazy and waited a year to get a timer for my tuning adapter.

I have never had my tivo freeze on me before. After putting the timer on the TA last week, i have woken up 2 out of 6 days to have my tivo frozen, and unresponsive to any button pushing on the remote. I have to unplug its power and replug it back in.

After doing so it seems to run fine.

Has anybody else experienced this freezing of their tivo with using the timer on the tuning adapter? So frustrating as its hard to explain the hows and whys to my wife.
steffen707 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:58 PM   #665
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by steffen707 View Post
Has anybody else experienced this freezing of their tivo with using the timer on the tuning adapter?
No.
But, this could be an indication of the power supply starting to fail, from faulty capacitors.
Many reports of this:

Time to check the power supply
http://www.google.com/search?client=...hannel=suggest

Last edited by Teeps : 08-13-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #666
steffen707

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
Jeez, $99 for a new power supply? I probably should just pay $350 for a new TiVo Premiere XL4.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #667
Teeps

Quote:
Jeez, $99 for a new power supply? I probably should just pay $350 for a new TiVo Premiere XL4.
If your TiVo has a lifetime subscription, it's worth fixing the power supply.
They can be fixed for about $15 in parts if you can run a soldering pencil.
If you have to pay a local electrical repairman add another $20~30 to the parts bill.
I can help if you are in the L.A. area.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #668
steffen707

Quote:
If you have to pay a local electrical repairman add another $20~30 to the parts bill.
Very true about the lifetime subscription deal. I'm month to month though.

I have done some soldering, probably could de-solder and resolder it back with the new parts. I'm not convinced its the capacitors yet. I'll have to take the box apart and check them.

After using the timer for a week, i checked the GC info in settings and all the dates look correct now. Since it took about a year for the issue to start acting up, does this mean you only need to switch off the TA once a year? Or can you even get by turning the TA off for a few hours every 2 weeks?
Old 08-13-2013, 11:15 AM   #669
buscuitboy

Wink

Quote:
I have had two lifetimed Series 3 (OLED) with capacitor issues. While I may have been able to fix them myself, I didn't feel real comfortable soldering it & possibly messing something up so I just had a local repair shop do it for me. Pulled the power supply from each on my own and took it to them directly. Cost was about $18 each time to fix the bad caps. All has been working good since.
buscuitboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:14 PM   #670
DougJohnson

Quote:
After using the timer for a week, i checked the GC info in settings and all the dates look correct now. Since it took about a year for the issue to start acting up, does this mean you only need to switch off the TA once a year? Or can you even get by turning the TA off for a few hours every 2 weeks?
I had this problem in October of 2011 and put my TA on a timer. After about a month, everything was going well, so I took it off the timer. Things continued to go well with GC occurring every few days. Then the problem reoccurred once, maybe 9 months later. I turned off the TA for about 4 hours, GC did its thing, and I haven't had a problem since.

So, at least for me, the problem is rare, and I don't need to use a timer. You might want to stop using the timer and just check GC about once a week. If it has been more than a week since GC, turn off the TA until GC completes, 4 hours or so. If this happens regularly, return to using a timer.

-- Doug

OLED S3, Time Warner TA, 1 TB internal drive.
DougJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:31 PM   #671
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

OTOH, I tried leaving mine off the timer...and was having to pull the plug weekly. So mine is now on a daily automated regimen.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:57 PM   #672
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougJohnson View Post
I had this problem in October of 2011 and put my TA on a timer. After about a month, everything was going well, so I took it off the timer. Things continued to go well with GC occurring every few days. Then the problem reoccurred once, maybe 9 months later. I turned off the TA for about 4 hours, GC did its thing, and I haven't had a problem since.

So, at least for me, the problem is rare, and I don't need to use a timer. You might want to stop using the timer and just check GC about once a week. If it has been more than a week since GC, turn off the TA until GC completes, 4 hours or so. If this happens regularly, return to using a timer.

-- Doug

OLED S3, Time Warner TA, 1 TB internal drive.
I think I may have the same situation. My TiVo HD is four years old and the one and only time I had the GC problem was in early April this year. I didn't even power down the TA -- just disconnected the USB cable for 3 hours. Haven't had the GC problem since then although I've noticed the interval between the last 3 GC dates was 5 days, whereas 2 to 3 days had been normal before that. I wonder if the GC interval slowly grows until it reaches a week, and causes the program-data-will-run out message?

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #673
substance12

Do the newer tivos have this same problem? I did the update channels trick but it wasn't obvious to me that that method was forcing a GC on my unit.
substance12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 01:24 AM   #674
Eccles
Mostly harmless

Quote:
Originally Posted by substance12 View Post
Do the newer tivos have this same problem?
No. I eventually gave up and used this BS as an excuse to upgrade to a Premiere, and haven't had a moment's trouble since. Come to think of it, perhaps there's a reason why TiVo don't appear to be in any hurry to fix it.
150-hour Premiere XL (Lifetime)
Eccles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 10:21 AM   #675
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by buscuitboy View Post
I have had two lifetimed Series 3 (OLED) with capacitor issues. While I may have been able to fix them myself, I didn't feel real comfortable soldering it & possibly messing something up so I just had a local repair shop do it for me. Pulled the power supply from each on my own and took it to them directly. Cost was about $18 each time to fix the bad caps. All has been working good since.
Well there you go... another happy TiVo owner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccles View Post
No. I eventually gave up and used this BS as an excuse to upgrade to a Premiere, and haven't had a moment's trouble since. Come to think of it, perhaps there's a reason why TiVo don't appear to be in any hurry to fix it.
What ever it takes; I used the "need more tuners" excuse to get an XL4.
Old 11-17-2013, 01:43 AM   #676
joelkfla

So ...

The error message says "Connect to the TiVo service," but the fix is NOT to connect to the TiVo service for 2 days!

As I recall Superman saying in the comic books 50 years ago, "What irony!"
joelkfla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 05:32 PM   #677
ravingfans

Guided Setup Loop S03 fix

I'm posting this in all the threads related to Guided Setup loops as I have not seen this advice anywhere on the nets:

How to get out of Guided Setup:
1. Prerequisite--have to have either a serial cable connection to get a shell or a telnet connection to get a shell on the TiVo--there are plenty of resources to show how to do these options elsewhere.
2. disconnect the Tuning Adapter and unplug all cable cards
3. let the TiVo boot up to the Guided Setup entry page, but don't click select with the remote
4. telnet in to the TiVo (or access through the serial link
5. type (without quotes):
dbgc-mcp -fg-gc
this initiates a garbage collection, and since the Tuning Adapter and CableCards are not connected, it does not distract the TiVo from completing GC

6. WAIT for this command to complete. Took mine several hours
7. once dbgc-mcp has completed, go through Guided Setup and it should now complete

Notes: I was having trouble getting fakecall.tcl to work in rc.sysinit.author (although a couple years ago I used it successfully)--it ran fine from the command prompt, but did not bypass the guided setup for me, so perhaps I wasn't doing something right there. Nevertheless, fakecall.tcl is still called from my rc.sysinit.author file, but it was having no effect, so I don't think it played any role in the solution above.

I welcome comments back. This fix does not correct the S03 problem itself, just gets you past the Guided Setup loop. It has been 3.5 years since I had the S03 problem, so now am retracing my steps. My solution at that time was to increase swap space to 2GB, so I think that fended off the problem for a long time.
ravingfans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #678
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

I thought just for sheetz and gigglez that I'd take my TA off the lamp timer to see if things had changed. Nope. It took about a month, but as of today, my GC date was January 6. It goes back on the timer tonight.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:21 AM   #679
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by sushikitten View Post
I thought just for sheetz and gigglez that I'd take my TA off the lamp timer to see if things had changed. Nope. It took about a month, but as of today, my GC date was January 6. It goes back on the timer tonight.
Like to dance with the devil heh?

Even with the lamp timer my S3 648 gets GC constipated occasionally.
At the point I have to leave the TA off for a few hours longer 5 instead of 2.5 hrs.

And, just to answer the original question: when will tivo fix "program info will runout on 7-18-2011 connect to tivo" problem?

NEVER!
Old 02-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #680
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

Quote:
Like to dance with the devil heh?
LOL!

At least it fixed itself with four hours back on the timer.