TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Roamio DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 16 votes, 5.00 average.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:06 AM   #691
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I just did a TiVo survey where they asked about some Stream related features. There were questions about various potential features, most relating to platforms and out of home streaming. However one I found interesting was it asked if I'd be interesting in being able to transfer protected shows to my iPad if it meant the show would be deleted fome the source TiVo after the transfer completed. So essentially they would be "moving" rather then "copying" to get around the copy once restriction. That would be a pretty cool feature.

The other cool one mentioned the possibility of a website where you could access your shows rather then having to use a specific app. That would be pretty cool too and should open up streaming to more devices.
Both those features sound awesome! It appears that a lot of items are converging that could allow TiVo to leapfrog some of the competition. It will be interesting to see if they are able to execute this transition without a raft of bugs. I'm also curious whether or not they'll mess with the service costs or keep the status quo. I'm also noticing and hearing from sources that TiVo's back-end servers / data center(s) have been having some issues with scalability as they rapidly add cable-partner customers and continue to add retail customers at a rate of about 8,000 per month (my estimate). I expect that the gross subscriber adds we will see in q3 and q4 could be double that number.
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 AM   #692
tomhorsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneagle View Post
My guess is that any cloud based feature would involve fees. While the idea sounds great, I doubt I would pay for it.
My guess is the cloud based feature would also involve preventing you from skipping commercials and probably have control latency so awful that it would make the HDUI look snappy by comparison.
tomhorsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:23 AM   #693
moyekj

Quote:
The other cool one mentioned the possibility of a website where you could access your shows rather then having to use a specific app. That would be pretty cool too and should open up streaming to more devices.
I already get pretty close to my ISP data limit of 250GB/month (with help of Netflix & Amazon downloads), so any significant addition would put me over the top consistently. I've never actually received a warning for going over even though it's happened a few times, but ISP data limits eventually are going to be a problem forcing one to pay more, especially as transition to IPTV materializes. Also if TiVo solution means uploading your own recorded shows to cloud (transcoded) I wouldn't like that at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 10:16 AM   #694
wco81

Quote:
I just did a TiVo survey where they asked about some Stream related features. There were questions about various potential features, most relating to platforms and out of home streaming. However one I found interesting was it asked if I'd be interesting in being able to transfer protected shows to my iPad if it meant the show would be deleted fome the source TiVo after the transfer completed. So essentially they would be "moving" rather then "copying" to get around the copy once restriction. That would be a pretty cool feature.

Moving content would only make sense if you can play it back on the big screen through AirPlay or something similar that lets you stream from the mobile device to the big screen.

But for HBO content, it's moot because HBO Go for iPad supports AirPlay. Showtime Anytime app. does not though.

Which shows are protected other than those from premium channels? Does FX or AMC protect their shows?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #695
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by wco81 View Post
Which shows are protected other than those from premium channels? Does FX or AMC protect their shows?
Tme Warner copy protects EVERYTHING except local broadcast channels which effectively cripples features like this.
Old 08-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #696
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Depends on yur cable prvider. Some cable providers protect everything except the local channels.

I agree that there would need to be some way to move it back to your TiVo or play it on your TV if a move feature was offered.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:57 AM   #697
sbiller

Quote:
Depends on yur cable prvider. Some cable providers protect everything except the local channels.

I agree that there would need to be some way to move it back to your TiVo or play it on your TV if a move feature was offered.
Could they circumvent the flags if they delete the video on the source DVR?
Old 08-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #698
b_scott
TiVo Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Tme Warner copy protects EVERYTHING except local broadcast channels which effectively cripples features like this.
everything I've read about TW makes them seem like they are terrible. I feel sorry for anyone who has no other option.
b_scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #699
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by b_scott View Post
everything I've read about TW makes them seem like they are terrible. I feel sorry for anyone who has no other option.
When it comes to SDV and copy flags, yeah... but their mobile and Roku (!) apps are notable.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #700
wco81

Amazon has a sale on current models apparently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._email_1p_0_ti

Clearing inventory ahead of the launch of the new products?
wco81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:46 PM   #701
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Could they circumvent the flags if they delete the video on the source DVR?
"Copy Once" does allow you to move a recording from one device to another provided it does not exist on both devices simultaneously.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #702
sbiller

Quote:
"Copy Once" does allow you to move a recording from one device to another provided it does not exist on both devices simultaneously.
I hope TiVo chooses to exploit that provision.
Old 08-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #703
moyekj

Quote:
If I recall correctly it also means once moved to another device the CCI byte should then be changed to "Copy Never" so it can't be moved again.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:48 PM   #704
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
If I recall correctly it also means once moved to another device the CCI byte should then be changed to "Copy Never" so it can't be moved again.
That's my understanding of it as well. Once means once, not just that it can't exist on more than one device at a time. I could be wrong. It does happen...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #705
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that's not correct as any program tagged "copy never" can only be stored for 90 minutes before being deleted. Also by moving the program, it's not being copied, which is what gets around the whole "copy once" restriction in the first place. Remember the first "copy" in "copy once" is the recording, which is why no other copies are allowed.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #706
Dan203
Super Moderator

Morac is right. "Copy once" means that the original recording is the "copy" and it already can't be copied again. The loophole is that it's not being copied it's being moved. So you're not technically creating another copy, you're simply moving the copy you already have. This is sort of a gray area so while it can technically be done now, CableLabs could choose to clarify the rules and shut this feature down.

Streaming outside the home is another gray area that we may see accepted or shut down, we'll have to wait and see how they respond if the feature is implemented.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:39 AM   #707
HarperVision

Quote:
Amazon has a sale on current models apparently.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00..._email_1p_0_ti

Clearing inventory ahead of the launch of the new products?
Best Buy is even cheaper at $248.99 for an XL4.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:39 AM   #708
moyekj

I used wrong state name. "copy once" is promoted to "copy no more" (CCI=0x01) I believe. I used to have a link to the original 5C copy protection document but no longer.

Old 08-12-2013, 01:50 AM   #709
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Best Buy is even cheaper at $248.99 for an XL4.
Where are you seeing that price. an in-store clearance?

Best Buy appears to be out of stock online.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Premiere...der/3438692.p?

CoxInPHX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:41 AM   #710
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Morac is right. "Copy once" means that the original recording is the "copy" and it already can't be copied again. The loophole is that it's not being copied it's being moved. So you're not technically creating another copy, you're simply moving the copy you already have. This is sort of a gray area so while it can technically be done now, CableLabs could choose to clarify the rules and shut this feature down.

Streaming outside the home is another gray area that we may see accepted or shut down, we'll have to wait and see how they respond if the feature is implemented.
Agreed. It *might be* better for this to be clarified by CableLabs, the FCC, or whoever it is that needs to make it more ironclad, and less subject to interpretation.

While that may shut down some things that are working right now, if it's working due to loose wording, and not what was intended, it *might be* better to clear it up now, and find ways to make it work as intended, or work within a new, clearer/cleaner wording (IMHO).

I also foggily recall something about the recording being the "one copy", being said some time ago, now that it was brought up that way, again.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-12-2013 at 03:28 AM. Reason: changed wording to make sure this is interpreted as my *opinion*
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 03:13 AM   #711
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
I used wrong state name. "copy once" is promoted to "copy no more" (CCI=0x01) I believe. I used to have a link to the original 5C copy protection document but no longer.
I'm pretty sure that already happens when TiVo makes the original recording. The trick here is that it's not being copied, it's being moved. It's been a while since I read it, but I'm pretty sure there is nothing in the spec that specificly prevents a "copy no more" recording to be moved to another device. As lo as it's not accessible from both devices simultaniously.

If TiVo wanted to completely protect themselves then they could do a bit by bit delete of the original as it was being transfered to the new device. That way they could truly say it was being moved and not copied. But really this all boils down to what cable labs lets them get away with.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:36 AM   #712
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Good question. They could support a consumers own Cloud storage but I'm guessing this might be hosted in TiVo's data center(s). Perhaps they'll provide a certain amount of storage and offer additional storage for a fee.

That would at least help justify the high monthly fees we pay.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:27 PM   #713
HarperVision

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

When I logged on it showed in store clearance and online shipped.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #714
aaronwt
HD Addict

At this rate I might need to put up one of my Elites for sale this month. I should be able to temporarily cover some of teh broadcast network recordings from my OTA only Premiere. Or maybe it will just be better to wait until the S5 is released?
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:17 PM   #715
innocentfreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post

You can shop their in store clearance.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/TiVo%26%...62&strClr=true

If you repleace the strId= with your local store numbers you can see if they have any instock.

Both Brandon and Citrus have them in stock in Tampa.

innocentfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #716
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
At this rate I might need to put up one of my Elites for sale this month. I should be able to temporarily cover some of teh broadcast network recordings from my OTA only Premiere. Or maybe it will just be better to wait until the S5 is released?
Hard to know where the price of used Premieres is going to go. Depends on how much the Series 5 units end up costing and how fast TiVo clears out old inventory. Once the Premiere inventory is cleared out the used market will be based on the Series 5 costs so maybe it is good they are clearing out know.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #717
herbman

Quote:
If TiVo wanted to completely protect themselves then they could do a bit by bit delete of the original as it was being transfered to the new device. That way they could truly say it was being moved and not copied. But really this all boils down to what cable labs lets them get away with.
As programmers we think like that, but "Accessible" is very easy for TiVo to just drape an access layer over. Then it's immediately inaccessible, they do the proper "move" pattern (crc, copy, check crc on dest, delete local) and if any of that fails just show an error and make it visible again.

Safer.
herbman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:23 PM   #718
astrohip
Stuart F

We've drifted a long way from discussing the actual next-gen product. Nonetheless... a cloud solution is a no-go for many of us. It's one thing to access Netflix, it's another to actually have your DVR data in the cloud. Not only does this dramatically add to your bandwidth usage, you lose the instantaneous response of a local DVR. I have -zero- interest in cloud storage for my day-to-day DVR usage.
astrohip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:34 PM   #719
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by astrohip View Post
We've drifted a long way from discussing the actual next-gen product. Nonetheless... a cloud solution is a no-go for many of us. It's one thing to access Netflix, it's another to actually have your DVR data in the cloud. Not only does this dramatically add to your bandwidth usage, you lose the instantaneous response of a local DVR. I have -zero- interest in cloud storage for my day-to-day DVR usage.
I would't mind having that option so that you could choose which recordings or SPs would use cloud storage. So for someone with no bandwidth caps I could see that as a possible option to keeps costs down. Then you get a TiVo with a smaller hard drive for a lower cost and store some of your recordings in the cloud. Of course it would also depend on what they want to charge for cloud storage and if there is some kind of limit on how long the recordings can be stored.

It can certainly be done since BoxeeTV had cloud storage in their beta. But they also converted the recrodings to a lower quality and also lowered the audio quality to stereo. But it did work.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #720
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I wouldn't sell anything just yet. We don't have an official release date yet and TiVo has a history of missing deadlines. What if it slips to next year then you're stuck without a TiVo for 3-4 months or forced to rebuy the one you just sold.