TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #5521
L David Matheny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Thanks for the quick response. As I suspected. My brother bought a used replacement Tivo via eBay instead of repairing a misbehaving Tivo, and now wants me to get some of his old recording off the deactivated Tivo. I've got to decide if I want to spend $12.95 on activation for about 30 GB of recordings. I'm going to call Tivo on Monday and see if they will have pity on me and let me activate it for a few hours.
A one-time payment of $12.95 might be reasonable, but TiVo may want a one-year subscription commitment.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #5522
LynnL999

Weird problem.

I've been transferring and burning to DVD "Cedar Cove" on the Hallmark channel for my mom who doesn't get the channel. It went fine until last night's episode. kmttg showed the program length was 1 hour, and the .tivo file shows it as 1 hour. But after kmttg decoded it, it was 53:10. I thought it might be a glitch in the recording, so I re-recorded a later airing, but the same error -- 53:10. This is version v0p94r. I was able to decrypt in VideoReDo, but I just wondered if something I did created this error.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:23 PM   #5523
moyekj

What program is showing it as 53 minutes? Did you run QS Fix on it to fix timestamp errors?
(Also you should really upgrade to more recent kmttg version where it is now much easier to update to latest version).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #5524
LynnL999

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
What program is showing it as 53 minutes?
Windows Explorer, VR Player, VideoRedo. In VideoRedo it cuts off in the final act.

Quote:
Did you run QS Fix on it to fix timestamp errors?
Yes, but I also looked at the file pre-QS Fix, and it's the same either way.

Quote:
(Also you should really upgrade to more recent kmttg version where it is now much easier to update to latest version).
I will.
LynnL999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #5525
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
Thanks for the quick response. As I suspected. My brother bought a used replacement Tivo via eBay instead of repairing a misbehaving Tivo, and now wants me to get some of his old recording off the deactivated Tivo. I've got to decide if I want to spend $12.95 on activation for about 30 GB of recordings. I'm going to call Tivo on Monday and see if they will have pity on me and let me activate it for a few hours.
If added to an account with an active TiVo in good standing, it should qualify for MSD and thus get a $9.95/mo rate.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:01 PM   #5526
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynnL999 View Post
Windows Explorer, VR Player, VideoRedo. In VideoRedo it cuts off in the final act.

Yes, but I also looked at the file pre-QS Fix, and it's the same either way.

I will.
One more thing to try if you are downloading from a series 4 unit is toggle the "Download TiVo Files in Transport Stream format" config->Program Options setting and try download again.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:49 PM   #5527
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
A one-time payment of $12.95 might be reasonable, but TiVo may want a one-year subscription commitment.
But you can cancel if you're not satisfied.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #5528
elprice7345

The Windows command to select everything in a list is Ctrl-A. Unfortunately, this is also the keyboard shortcut to clear the message window in kmttg.

moyekj - Any chance you can change the keyboard shortcut to clear the message window or maybe add a "right-click-select-all" shortcut?

I use Ctrl-A regularly when selecting files in the files window and I inadvertently clear the message window.
Old 08-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #5529
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by elprice7345 View Post
I use Ctrl-A regularly when selecting files in the files window and I inadvertently clear the message window.
I use Ctrl-A to select all files as well and now that is not working for me as well. An alternative is to use shift-End to select from the current to the end.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #5530
moyekj

I'll change to Ctrl-L for next release. But yes the one I use is the shift+click to select multiple contiguous entries, or ctrl+click for non-contiguous entries.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:25 PM   #5531
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I'll change to Ctrl-L for next release. But yes the one I use is the shift+click to select multiple contiguous entries, or ctrl+click for non-contiguous entries.
Ctrl-Shift + click will select/unselect items without clearing the current selections.
Shift-Home is reverse of Shift-End, to select from current to the top.
Shift-PgUp/PgDn for window lengths-worth selecting.

Just to name a few shortcuts.

~~~~~

Old 08-13-2013, 03:06 AM   #5532
mattack

Couple of things:
I only found out about the keyboard shortcuts recently (when I figured out that you could delete shows with kmttg too).

But the help says delete, whereas it's really ^H that deletes a file. The delete key on a Mac (which is ASCII 127 IIRC) doesn't actually delete a file.

Also, maybe I'm missing something simple, but with the advanced naming, is there a way I can use originalAirDate if it exists, but if not, use the record date (i.e. month, day year)?

I can conditionalize originalAirDate, but I don't want TWO dates to end up in the name.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 01:23 PM   #5533
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Couple of things:
I only found out about the keyboard shortcuts recently (when I figured out that you could delete shows with kmttg too).

But the help says delete, whereas it's really ^H that deletes a file. The delete key on a Mac (which is ASCII 127 IIRC) doesn't actually delete a file.

Also, maybe I'm missing something simple, but with the advanced naming, is there a way I can use originalAirDate if it exists, but if not, use the record date (i.e. month, day year)?

I can conditionalize originalAirDate, but I don't want TWO dates to end up in the name.
Delete key (not backspace key which is different) works for me on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and linux CentOS 5.4, so as usual MacOS must have decided to do things differently.

For your naming question no I can't think of a way to do it since it would need "else" logic implementation in addition to the current "if" logic.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #5534
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

I just tried to see if I could Drag-and-Drop files into the Files tab of KMTTG, can't.

~~~~~

Old 08-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #5535
michaelor

Question Can't get program to launch

OK, so I am new here.

I am trying to install kmttg with no luck. I've been reading through the posts for a while and I am at a lost, so I thought I would ask.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded and extracted the program to C driver, installed Java 7 32 bit, associated the kmttg.jar file to the 32 bit javaaw.exe

I click and nothing happens. I made java run as admin and still nothing.

Any suggestions?
michaelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #5536
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelor View Post
OK, so I am new here.

I am trying to install kmttg with no luck. I've been reading through the posts for a while and I am at a lost, so I thought I would ask.

I am running Windows 7 64 bit. I downloaded and extracted the program to C driver, installed Java 7 32 bit, associated the kmttg.jar file to the 32 bit javaaw.exe

I click and nothing happens. I made java run as admin and still nothing.

Any suggestions?
See post starting here for a user that was having similar troubles:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...92#post9749092

(For proper/expected Java installation Windows automatically adds java to PATH and associates .jar with javaw.exe so double click on kmttg.jar is all that is needed.)

Old 08-13-2013, 09:24 PM   #5537
mattack

Quote:
Delete key (not backspace key which is different) works for me on Windows XP, Vista, 7 and linux CentOS 5.4, so as usual MacOS must have decided to do things differently.

For your naming question no I can't think of a way to do it since it would need "else" logic implementation in addition to the current "if" logic.
Then maybe I'm wrong, maybe it really IS sending backspace. Could you work with both, and then I could see if that's the issue?

As for the other -- can you take that as an enhancement request? Would a few bucks make it more likely to be implemented?
Old 08-13-2013, 10:32 PM   #5538
lpwcomp

Quote:
Then maybe I'm wrong, maybe it really IS sending backspace. Could you work with both, and then I could see if that's the issue?

As for the other -- can you take that as an enhancement request? Would a few bucks make it more likely to be implemented?
it appears that the Apple keyboard has no separate "DEL key. Fn+backspace supposedly works as DEL.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #5539
moyekj

I've added Backspace key support for next release. The other request is a lot more complicated and will have to look into it down the road.

Old 08-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #5540
theeric

Quote:
VideoRedo (with TiVoDirectShowFilter installed) can properly decrypt TS .TiVo files (including H.264). Plus with VideoRedo you get better QS Fix than ProjectX that also preserves captions, and you get a better visual editor for reviewing commercial cut points than the comskip editor.
A quick update and a thank you.
I installed the full version of VideoRedo and just enabling the QSfix was enough to fix the glitches we were getting.

So thank you for your fine and continuing effort. If you have PayPal or something similar I'll gladly send some money your way.

Thanks again.
theeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:48 PM   #5541
alexofindy

burning captions

I have many archived .TiVo files on a fileserver, that don't show captions when I transfer them back to my Tivo. They are in .ps containers. I'm trying to come up with a one-step process to add the captions back in. I can use kmttg to decrypt the files (by invoking tivodecode), and extract the captions to an .srt file (by invoking ccextractor); I'd like to also have it encode the files with the captions burnt in (hardcoded) so they'll display when I transfer the files back to my Tivo.

I've tried making an encoding profile for both handbrake and ffmpeg that will burn the captions back, but the syntax is driving me bonkers - I keep getting error messages.

Are there any example profiles out there that illustrate burning captions with either ffmpeg or handbrake?

Thanks!
alexofindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM   #5542
mattack

Seems to me that's a lot of work. Based upon what *others* have said, if you upload the files back to the Tivo in "Transport Stream format", then they will still have the captions that they had originally.

I realize that's different from having open (burned in) captions, but maybe that will solve your issue?

I've wondered about trying that too (download things in transport stream, DON'T decode, and then find out how to set the GUI pytivo front end I use to use transport stream).
Old 08-16-2013, 09:42 PM   #5543
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

alexofindy: Since in this case the files were already downloaded as program streams, you should decrypt them, then just allow pyTivo to send them back as transport streams, using the ts = on option. (It won't remux .TiVo files, so you'll have to decrypt them first.)

mattack: pyTivo will send transport-stream-mode .TiVo files back in their original format regardless of the ts setting.

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #5544
mattack

OK, so then my GUI PyTivo will probably "just work"? I should try turning ON transport mode and turning OFF decrypt in kmttg, just so I can send a show back to the Tivo... for experimentation. For shows that I'm downloading to "offload", that's better.

(Because tivodecode doesn't work for most TS shows.. I should try the patch mentioned earlier in this thread.. I think it was an earlier version I tried once, that would just crash for me.)
Old 08-16-2013, 09:54 PM   #5545
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexofindy View Post
I have many archived .TiVo files on a fileserver, that don't show captions when I transfer them back to my Tivo. They are in .ps containers. I'm trying to come up with a one-step process to add the captions back in. I can use kmttg to decrypt the files (by invoking tivodecode), and extract the captions to an .srt file (by invoking ccextractor); I'd like to also have it encode the files with the captions burnt in (hardcoded) so they'll display when I transfer the files back to my Tivo.

I've tried making an encoding profile for both handbrake and ffmpeg that will burn the captions back, but the syntax is driving me bonkers - I keep getting error messages.

Are there any example profiles out there that illustrate burning captions with either ffmpeg or handbrake?

Thanks!
To add hardcoded subs from srt file:

handbrake: add following to an existing kmttg profile:
-vf subtitles=SRTFILE

ffmpeg: add following to existing kmttg profile:
-i SRTFILE -scodec mov_text

If your goal is to send back to TiVo, a better option if you have VideoRedo is you can save as transport stream mpeg2 file and they send back to TiVo using pyTivo with "ts=on" option in video section of config. There is a bug with series 4 software where mpeg2 program stream container kills captions, but transport stream container does not.

(I'm not sure if simply using ts=on with pyTivo to pull existing mpeg2 program stream container file will work as ffmpeg may throw out the captions when remuxing. I know that VideoRedo does preserve captions when remuxing, hence the above suggestion).

Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 PM   #5546
mattack

Quote:
If your goal is to send back to TiVo, a better option if you have VideoRedo is you can save as transport stream mpeg2 file and they send back to TiVo using pyTivo with "ts=on" option in video section of config. There is a bug with series 4 software where mpeg2 program stream container kills captions, but transport stream container does not.
You're repeating what I said!
Old 08-16-2013, 10:06 PM   #5547
moyekj

Quote:
You're repeating what I said!
You didn't mention specifically how to remux from mpeg2 program stream format to mpeg2 transport stream format in a way that preserves the captions in format TiVo likes. It's possible ffmpeg via pyTivo with ts=on can do it directly, but I KNOW that going VideoRedo route works for sure.
(Also it took me a while to post since I had to look up and try up the ffmpeg hard sub option, so I sat on my response a long while before posting and didn't yet see your post).

Old 08-16-2013, 10:12 PM   #5548
mattack

OK, then I apologize.

So I *can't* just keep the .Tivo file and have it never decoded? I thought I could do that.
i.e. decode in TS and leave it that way.

But are you claiming that *without* tivodecode for TS, I could download (in non-TS), and still have the program then re-uploaded in TS so I *would* still have captions?
Old 08-16-2013, 10:34 PM   #5549
moyekj

Quote:
OK, then I apologize.

So I *can't* just keep the .Tivo file and have it never decoded? I thought I could do that.
i.e. decode in TS and leave it that way.

But are you claiming that *without* tivodecode for TS, I could download (in non-TS), and still have the program then re-uploaded in TS so I *would* still have captions?
No, if your .TiVo files are PS container then you have a problem since you need to convert to TS container in a way that preserves captions before sending back to series 4 TiVo.

If you are just using your computer for long term storage with goal of going back to a series 4 TiVo then just download in TS format and keep it as TS .TiVo. Then as wmcbrine mentioned you can then send it back using pyTivo (with or without ts=on) and captions will work fine. Problem with TS .TiVo files is that without VideoRedo there is really nothing further you can do with them as there isn't a tivodecode version that works reliably to decrypt them. Some people apparently have some success decrypting TS .TiVo files with tivodecode 0.4.4, but I never had any luck with it - it either fails right away or if it doesn't fail then typically there will be sections with heavy macroblocking that weren't decrypted properly.

So problem only really comes about if you already have PS .TiVo files or want to encode to some other format with captions to send back to a TiVo series 4 unit. Using VideoRedo is really only good option for that.

Last edited by moyekj : 08-16-2013 at 10:39 PM.
Old 08-16-2013, 10:51 PM   #5550
alexofindy

Thanks, all.

I have previously tried some of the suggestions.

I'm pretty sure I found that pyTivo won't send the .Tivo program stream files back to the Tivo unless I first decrypted them. I think I also had to re-encode them. Also, even after I got them into a form that I could send back to the .Tivo with captions, with ts=on, the captions were corrupted - they were recognizable, but had many text errors. I'm leaving out details here, as I don't have my notes handy, but although it seemed like it should work, it just didn't.

On the other hand, if I decrypt the files and then run ccextractor either directly or using kmttg as a front end, the captions are uncorrupted.

I think burning them into the video using moyekj's syntax is my best bet. kmttg can do this in one step. If that doesn't work, I'll try a trial of videoredo, and purchase the program if that is successful.

moyekj: does it matter where in the command line of the encoding profiles I put the strings you mention? Is just before the "OUTPUT" OK?
alexofindy is offline   Reply With Quote