Forum Jump

Old 08-10-2013, 09:52 PM   #271
daverita

OK - I'll try the WDidle3.exe tomorrow. Thanks
daverita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 09:54 PM   #272
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Well, you could try the WDidle3.exe with the /R option to report what its currently set at.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #273
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
Well, you could try the WDidle3.exe with the /R option to report what its currently set at.
This is a VERY GOOD suggestion. The /R only reports the status, without writing a change to the drive's firmware settings. It -should- report an error, if the drive can not be set with the utility. If it can't, then the drive doesn't use Intellipark, and then it can't be a problem (since it doesn't use it in the first place). Zero chance of harming the drive by a read-only operation.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 07:07 AM   #274
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverita View Post
Hello Greg, I tried DvrBKRS on a 120 Gig PATA drive with Philips HDR112 Tivo on it. I did a full backup and a full restore to a 250 Gig SATA drive (with an IDE to SATA adapter). After the restore I put the SATA drive with the adapter into the TiVo but it did not work. The TiVo started with "Your Recorder is starting up, Please wait a moment...", then a blue screen, then back to the "Your Recorder ..." message and back and forth continually but no progress past that. Is there any advice you can give me? Thanks, Dave
Quote:
I used a WD Blue 250GB SATA /16MB Cache WD2500AAKX. The adapter is an ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board. According to the WD support site the WDidle3.exe should not be used on my drive.
WD Blue drives won't work at all in a Series 1 for some reason. Any of their other drives are fine and the Blues run great in later models, but S1s just don't like them.

They're also fussier about SATA adapters.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 09:27 PM   #275
unitron

Quote:
I used a WD Blue 250GB SATA /16MB Cache WD2500AAKX. The adapter is an ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board. According to the WD support site the WDidle3.exe should not be used on my drive.
If you'd read through the adapter thread,

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=416883

which I got a mod to make sticky so it's always at the top of the Upgrade Center listings, you'd have seen that the Kingwin is generally not known to work in TiVos and that S1 TiVos have to have an adapter with a Marvell brand chipset, and I think it's mentioned in there a time or two that S1s also don't like Caviar Blues.

But it is true that Caviar Blues don't have Intellipark and therefore wdidle3.exe is unnecessary for them.

That Blue would probably make a nice Windows boot drive in your PC however.

What have you got in there now?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 AM   #276
klr650

Unclear which image to request

Hi, my TiVo just got stuck in a Green Screen Death Spiral. It is a Premiere 320 model but it was a model that had been "professionally upgraded" to 500 gig by a reseller. The drive seems to be toast. I desperately need a drive image but, because this unit was already upgraded, I don't know which image to ask for. I was planning on buying either a 500 gig or 1T drive. If someone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:05 PM   #277
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650 View Post
Hi, my TiVo just got stuck in a Green Screen Death Spiral. It is a Premiere 320 model but it was a model that had been "professionally upgraded" to 500 gig by a reseller. The drive seems to be toast. I desperately need a drive image but, because this unit was already upgraded, I don't know which image to ask for. I was planning on buying either a 500 gig or 1T drive. If someone could help me I would really appreciate it. Thanks!
You might as well try to find a 2TB WD20EURS on sale somewhere for about $100 and get more GB/$.

Old 08-12-2013, 05:48 PM   #278
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr650 View Post
PM sent.
Old 08-13-2013, 01:38 AM   #279
klr650

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
PM sent.
TiVo is now back up and running! Thanks so much!
klr650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:29 PM   #280
Stumptown Geek

I need an image for 648... Thanks.
Stumptown Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:17 PM   #281
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumptown Geek View Post
I don't have any Series 3 images except for one 652 that was already expanded to 2TB. Did you mean 748?
Old 08-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #282
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I don't have any Series 3 images except for one 652 that was already expanded to 2TB. Did you mean 748?
I think he means the S3 oLED.
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Last edited by ThAbtO : 08-14-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 08:36 PM   #283
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post8921060
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 08-17-2013, 08:16 AM   #284
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Keeping your images clean, while allowing a software update. Here's how:

Keeping your images clean, while allowing a software update. Here's how:

1. Leave the coax inputs disconnected.

2a. When you begin Guided Setup, if it's available, select Installer Express Setup.

2b. If the software is still old, it may not be available, just continue on, but select Cable Only.

2. Enter 00000 as your Zip Code.

3. Select "Tiny TiVo" under digital lineup (doesn't matter what you have)

4. If it asks about a cablecard, just say to worry about it later, and use the digital lineup anyway.

5. This will speed you through as fast as possible, while updating the software, and downloading minimal guide data (which is really empty entries).

6. If you have a cablecard installed, it may actually increase the amount of disk data that gets changed, and that DVRBARS will back-up. This gets worse if you have the coax connected, but still minimized, because the TiVo won't be automatically tune to any valid channel.

7. Yes, if you need to, you can pair a cablecard with this configuration (but you'll need to insert the card and connect the coax.

Hope this helps! I've never seen anybody post about this before, anywhere.

EDIT/ADD: Look for the next post from me to find out how to eliminate the need for the recipient of a pre-imaged drive, or drive image, from having to do a C&DE.

I'll add it here as well. Here's the trick:

When you are all done on your end, with everything else, do a C&DE, and have the time to babysit the TiVo. Once it finishes the C&DE, it will do another reboot (without ever fully booting all the way, throughout this). PROMPLY pull the power cord as soon as all the lights flash (after the C&DE screen is done), or within seconds of the "Welcome Powering Up" screen comes on (once it gets to "Just a few minutes more", it is too late). This will stop the drive from bonding itself to the TSN of the TiVo it is currently in, and will eliminate the need for a C&DE by the person who receives the drive, or the image made from it.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 08-17-2013 at 11:45 PM. Reason: updated
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:43 PM   #285
gsjmia

Hi, I have a brand new Premiere 4, lifetime subscription with a WD500AVDS and I am trying to upgrade using DVRBARS to a 2TB WD20EURS (manuf May, 2013).

I copied the disk and it works fine, it boots and plays and all shows are there, but I can't get it to expand or supersize. The new drive shows the same recording capacity.

I tried running the linux JMFS-rev104.iso on a bootable CD but it fails-says it can't open the CDROM.

So I put put in on a USB stick, and it boots and loads JMFS, but then it says that it can't find any Tivo drives. At the time, the Tivo drive is the only drive on the PC. Tried both the factory drive and the copied WD20EURS, same result, even though both of them boot and work fine on the Tivo.

I am doing this on an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo with Win 7-64.

I have dos command line experience, but unfortunately zero linux.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
gsjmia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 05:52 PM   #286
gsjmia

Hi, I have a brand new Premiere 4 with a WD500AVDS and I am trying to upgrade using DVRBARS to a 2TB WD20EURS (manuf May, 2013).

I copied the disk and it works fine, it boots and plays and all shows are there, but I can't get it to expand or supersize. The new drive shows the same recording capacity.

I tried running the linux JMFS-rev104.iso on a bootable CD but it fails-says it can't open the CDROM.

So I put put the JMFS iso on a USB stick, it loads and runs, but then it says that it can't find any Tivo drives. At the time, the Tivo drive is the only drive on the PC. Tried both the factory drive and the copied WD20EURS, same result, even though both of them boot and work fine on the Tivo.

I am doing this on an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo with Win 7-64. This motherboard has a mixture of SATA 2 and 3 plugs, I haven't checked which the drive is plugged into, will that matter?

Old 08-17-2013, 06:20 PM   #287
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjmia View Post
Hi, I have a brand new Premiere 4 with a WD500AVDS and I am trying to upgrade using DVRBARS to a 2TB WD20EURS (manuf May, 2013).

So I put put the JMFS iso on a USB stick, it loads and runs, but then it says that it can't find any Tivo drives. At the time, the Tivo drive is the only drive on the PC. Tried both the factory drive and the copied WD20EURS, same result, even though both of them boot and work fine on the Tivo.

I am doing this on an ASUS P8Z68-V Pro mobo with Win 7-64. This motherboard has a mixture of SATA 2 and 3 plugs, I haven't checked which the drive is plugged into, will that matter?

I'd stick with the SATA-2 ports, but that's about the only thing I have to offer. The linux distro that jmfs uses may not understand newer hardware, but that's only a wild-assed-guess.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:48 PM   #288
jmbach

If you cannot get the to work by moving to a different SATA port, try a USB to SATA plugged into a USB 2 port. JMFS does not recognize any USB 3 ports. At least as far as all the USB 3 ports I have tested.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:46 PM   #289
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Eliminate the need for a C&DE by the person who receives the drive, or the image:

Eliminate the need for a C&DE by the person who receives the drive, or the image:

Here's the trick:

When you are all done on your end, with everything else, do a C&DE, and have the time to babysit the TiVo. Once it finishes the C&DE, it will do another reboot (without ever fully booting all the way, throughout this). PROMPLY pull the power cord as soon as all the lights flash (after the C&DE screen is done), or within seconds of the "Welcome Powering Up" screen comes on (once it gets to "Just a few minutes more", it is too late). This will stop the drive from bonding itself to the TSN of the TiVo it is currently in, and will eliminate the need for a C&DE by the person who receives the drive, or the image made from it.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:24 AM   #290
gsjmia

Quote:
If you cannot get the to work by moving to a different SATA port, try a USB to SATA plugged into a USB 2 port. JMFS does not recognize any USB 3 ports. At least as far as all the USB 3 ports I have tested
Thanks jmbach, this worked. I dug out my mobo manual and I was wrong earlier, I have SATA 3 and 6 (not SATA 2 and 3, must have missed something the last 5 years). I checked all the other PC's in the house and they were all SATA 3 or 6.

I remembered I had an old IDE external clamshell SATA/USB thingy, so after locating a USB A/B cable, hooked it up and within 2 minutes it was done.

Thanks to everyone.

Greg
Old 08-19-2013, 08:14 PM   #291
Stumptown Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThAbtO View Post
I think he means the S3 oLED.
I did, and thanks to the link in your next post it's back in business.
Stumptown Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 09:13 AM   #292
ggieseke

If anyone gets a new Roamio, PLEASE consider running a DvrBARS full backup on the drive before you ever power up the box.

Back to the drawing board...
Old 08-20-2013, 06:04 PM   #293
jmbach

Quote:
If anyone gets a new Roamio, PLEASE consider running a DvrBARS full backup on the drive before you ever power up the box.

Back to the drawing board...
Especially that 3TB version. Would like to see that block structure to see how they expanded beyond 2TB.
Old 08-20-2013, 09:40 PM   #294
unitron

Quote:
I did, and thanks to the link in your next post it's back in business.
You're welcome.

Old 08-28-2013, 11:25 PM   #295
geekbrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Especially that 3TB version. Would like to see that block structure to see how they expanded beyond 2TB.
max signed 32 bit integer = 7F FF FF FF = 2,147,483,648 bytes
max unsigned 32 bit integer = FF FF FF FF = 4,294,967,296 bytes

I thought the 2TB limit had to do with hardware available at the time and possibly the OS not supporting an unsigned integer. I don't see a reason why it can't go to 4TB (other than high cost of drives).

The total sector count in partition 10 is actually a 64 bit entry - future goal of > 4TB???
geekbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #296
gold007eye
Since TiVo Series 1

Does anyone know where I can find a dvrBars image for 648 Series 3 OLED TiVo? My drive kicked the bucket before I was able to save it and I'm dead in the water.
gold007eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:35 AM   #297
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold007eye View Post
Does anyone know where I can find a dvrBars image for 648 Series 3 OLED TiVo? My drive kicked the bucket before I was able to save it and I'm dead in the water.
There isn't a DVRBars image for the TCD648250B, but there is a WinMFS and MFSLine version.
DVRBars does not even expand yet.

If you had bothered to look up a few posts on this page, you would see the same post with the same links.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...60#post8921060
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~

Old 08-29-2013, 05:53 AM   #298
ggieseke

I have a 648250 image at home, but it's identical to the 648 WinMFS image that's already out there in many posts.

In the useless information department, it's not hard to convert if you have Windows 7. In Disk Manager, create a blank dynamic VHD that's exactly the same size as the drive that the WinMFS image came from, but don't let Disk Manager initialize it. Use WinMFS to restore to the virtual drive, then dismount it.
Old 09-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #299
guustseo

I have a perfect image of a TCD748000 Premiere XL straight from the factory. I also have a nearly pristine TCD746320 Premiere image, but it's larger because it came from a drive that had already been through one upgrade. If you have a "virgin" drive laying around somewhere, run a full backup and send me a PM. Someday I hope to have clean images of every recent model available to the community.

Donate if you can. An awful lot of time and money has gone into this project so far, and the 100GB Dropbox account I set up for the images wasn't free either.

KUDOS:

Two members here (retiredqwest and jmbach) deserve a LOT of thanks and a big chunk of the credit. Their support and patience made it possible.

The pioneers who developed mfstools and jmfs also have my deepest thanks. DvrBARS is an entirely new work, but the basic knowledge of the MFS file system came from them.

AND FINALLY:

I'll shut up now. If you have any problems (and there are bound to be some) post the details here.

Enjoy!
Greg[/quote]

I have a TIVO TCD540140 WITH A NEW 120g MAXTOR DRIVE, do you have a clean image of this drive?
guustseo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #300
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by guustseo View Post
I have a TIVO TCD540140 WITH A NEW 120g MAXTOR DRIVE, do you have a clean image of this drive?
DVRBars may work on a Series 2 but its doubtful. Also it does not expand to take full use of the extra space.

Go here and you would need to use either MFSLive or WinMFS.
http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...85#post9160085
OTA! OTA! OTA!

~~~~~