TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #31
cannonz

We have all of them in Orlando Me, Antenna, Retro, This, etc. I assumed would be lots of similar channels once digital came out with subs. Surprised to hear these aren't pretty much everywhere now.
cannonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:03 PM   #32
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Never heard of this channel 'til today. Cablevision does carry it, but only in CT. I'm hoping to get it soon since The Honeymooners, The Odd Couple and The Dick Van Dyke Show are on there.
The Odd Couple is my favorite show on ME...I loved the show when I was a kid and I love it even more now!

What does it say about the state of TV these days that I would rather watch something on Netflix, Hulu, or 40 year old reruns than just about anything on Network TV?
Old 07-25-2013, 01:53 AM   #33
JYoung
Series 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
I'd watch them if the shows weren't highly edited. I haven't proven that they are, but they almost certainly are. Probably at least 10 minutes are cut out of each episode.. (e.g. original Trek episodes were about 51 minutes IIRC.. Current 'hour' shows are about 42 minutes, and cable stations often put even more commercials than broadcast networks.)
It may be less than you think.

Based on my informal timings, ThisTV runs about 9 minutes of commercials per hour. I don't think that the episodes of the Outer Limits that they were showing were cut at all.

Antenna TV seems to run about 10-11 minutes per hour.
Me TV appears to be the worst offender at 13-14 minutes per hour.

"I aim to misbehave"
JYoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:32 PM   #34
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

They can just speed up playback to get that many more ads in. No need to cut content.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:03 PM   #35
mattack

I forgot to mention that, but yeah, personally, sped up does not really count as editing (even though you obviously are removing frames). Though you can only speed up a few percent at most (IIRC) before people notice it. Though I'm so used to listening to podcasts at 1.5x and 2x (and watching lots of shows on my other recorder at IIRC 1.5x, maybe 1.25x) that once in a while I have to check if I'm at faster than realtime or not, since I'm so used to it.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:06 AM   #36
Inundated
Severe Lurker

Cleveland has:

MeTV - on the .2 subchannel of WOIO/19 (CBS 19.1). Here in the southern part of the market, we have trouble with WOIO's main signal, but there's a handy digital translator I can pick up just fine. I just moved, and still get it perfectly, and am back with a working OTA receiver.

Antenna TV - on the .2 subchannel of WJW/8 (Fox 8.1). Had trouble getting it before (high VHF) but I must be in a better spot now.

This TV - on the .3 subchannel of WBNX/55 (CW 55.1). No trouble getting it in either place.

No Cozi here. Retro TV is on a pair of weak LPTVers, but I can see it again now due to being in the part of the TWC system that gives it analog cable carriage.

TWC carries all of the above except for This TV. That network's carriage was tied to the carriage agreement of the previous affiliate (WUAB 43.2, MyNet, owned by the WOIO folks). That station dropped This TV for Bounce, but WBNX apparently doesn't have a carriage agreement that includes This TV, so it's not on TWC...Bounce was added as soon as it took over 43.2.

Except for Retro TV, as noted above, and the absence of This TV, TWC carries all the remaining local digital subchannels in the high 900s, a back tune from the HD locals (1000s).

I love MeTV and am thrilled to have it back. Favorite show, aside from the MTM stuff? Columbo on Sunday nights.

I also like WKRP in Cincinnati, also Sunday nights on Antenna TV.
Inundated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #37
Langree
The Gimp

I found Me-TV in Houston just about 2 years ago via antenna, it was added to Comcast here not long after.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #38
nyc13

Just caught a very interesting episode of an anthology series called "Suspense Theatre" (AKA "Crisis"). It was recorded (from Antenna TV, I think) as a suggestion. Quite a lot of quality stuff to be found OTA these days.
nyc13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #39
brebeans

Love this...for Dick Van Dyke, Mary Tyler Moore, MASH, Twilight Zone, Thriller and even The Rifleman......brings me back in, mostly, a good way!
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #40
cannonz

Saw a promo this weekend about big schedule announcement (I forgot date) hope it's not some "original" programs that would be beginning of the end.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #41
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannonz View Post
Saw a promo this weekend about big schedule announcement (I forgot date) hope it's not some "original" programs that would be beginning of the end.
I'd be surprised if that was it. The existence of channels like MeTV is possible because the syndication rights for most of these shows is extremely low or even non existent, so these networks can broadcast them, and make money on commercials and lots of Infomercials. That's why you are seeing a bunch of these channels pop up, mostly on sub channels.

I wish DirecTV would carry some of these subchannels. We get MeTV because it's on a regular OTA channel here in NY. But I think Cabelvison carries Antenna TV on a subchannel and a few others (I keep basic cable for those times when I get severe rain fade). I haven't checked in awhile.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #42
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I'd be surprised if that was it. The existence of channels like MeTV is possible because the syndication rights for most of these shows is extremely low or even non existent, so these networks can broadcast them, and make money on commercials and lots of Infomercials. That's why you are seeing a bunch of these channels pop up, mostly on sub channels.

I wish DirecTV would carry some of these subchannels. We get MeTV because it's on a regular OTA channel here in NY. But I think Cabelvison carries Antenna TV on a subchannel and a few others (I keep basic cable for those times when I get severe rain fade). I haven't checked in awhile.
I don't know if they still do a while ago one of the satellite companies (don't remember which) had the Retro TV feed.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #43
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

It's one of my favorite channels. It's what TVLand use to be.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #44
aadam101
Future Prez of ABC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina View Post

What does it say about the state of TV these days that I would rather watch something on Netflix, Hulu, or 40 year old reruns than just about anything on Network TV?
I find the selection of old TV shows on Netflix to be very poor. They should have more old sitcoms. I don't understand why they can't secure rights to some of the less popular ones.
Old 08-05-2013, 04:10 PM   #45
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
I find the selection of old TV shows on Netflix to be very poor. They should have more old sitcoms. I don't understand why they can't secure rights to some of the less popular ones.
One of my favs on there is Kolchak-The Night Stalker
Old 08-05-2013, 11:15 PM   #46
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadam101 View Post
It's not even the same service you refer to, but as a single data point, Amazon has "Everybody Loves Raymond". I never really watched it when it was on originally (I probably saw an ep here or there, but I think it conflicted with some show my younger self liked far better), but watched the pilot so far on Amazon Prime instant video.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:59 PM   #47
Michael S

Quote:
Actually the new schedule is better. There adding Gilligan's Island, F Troop, The Love Boat, Taxi and a show starring Steve McQueen called Wanted Dead or Live. Also on Friday nights their going to have something called Me-tv made for tv movie. It suppose to be made for tv movies based on iconic tv shows.

http://www.metvnetwork.com/fallforme2013.php
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #48
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post
Actually the new schedule is better. There adding Gilligan's Island, F Troop, The Love Boat, Taxi and a show starring Steve McQueen called Wanted Dead or Live. Also on Friday nights their going to have something called Me-tv made for tv movie. It suppose to be made for tv movies based on iconic tv shows.

You've never heard of it?

Youngins.....
Old 08-09-2013, 12:13 AM   #49
Azlen

Quote:
I heard that it was going to be Dark Shadows. Just speculation though.
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 12:24 AM   #50
Michael S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post

Youngins.....
Nope never heard of it. I was born in 75 and mostly grew up watching 80s stuff. I always thought Steve McQueen mostly did movies.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #51
Davelnlr_

If you happen to have a retro 8 or 10 foot C band dish, MeTV is available on SES1 at 101W as well. I watch it that way, because the picture quality is great compared to the bitstarved subchannel on my local OTA affiliate.
Davelnlr_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:35 AM   #52
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
Thanks to this thread we've been watching a lot of these shows, i am especially enjoying Thriller and The Dick Van Dyke Show.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:05 AM   #53
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Man! No more Bewitched or I Dream of Jeanie!? Boooo.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:01 AM   #54
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael S View Post

F Troop. Cool. Loved that show as a kid. To this day, whenever I see a hot air balloon I say...."It is Ballooooooon". My kids have no idea where that came from, but now I can show them!
Old 08-09-2013, 12:32 PM   #55
alansh

Here in Phoenix it's OTA 7.2, or Cox cable 93.

DVD/Netflix releases of old TV shows can be a problem due to rights issues, especially music. The original agreements with everybody who worked on the shows only covered broadcast rights, so Me-TV is fine with that. But they do not cover home video releases.

So this may lead to the time consuming, expensive, and/or impossible task of finding all the people with a claim and getting their permission. Sometimes they can't even find the people, or whoever inherited their rights.

Currently produced shows negotiate the home video rights up front.
alansh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:26 PM   #56
cannonz

Quote:

Youngins.....
Thanks, glad they got that up I forgot to watch announcement last night.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:31 PM   #57
cannonz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
I'm sure they will show up on Antenna TV, surprised they weren't there to begin with being owned by WGN.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:33 PM   #58
cannonz

Quote:

Youngins.....
Love, the Winchester opening.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 PM   #59
cannonz

Cannon back at 5PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #60
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
where's green acres?

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote