TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
It's generous of Netflix to allow even two streams at $8/mo. They should allow just one stream and options to bump the limit for perhaps a dollar per stream.

Of course the real question is: how much would you pay if they offered the recent and best movies and series?
They are still giving me four streams at $7.99. My streaming plan page has showed two choices for months. Watch on four devices and watch on two devices. Both at $7.99 a month.

Although, something has been messed up with my account page this weekend. I wanted to increase my disc plan, but every time I go to the change plan for discs, it takes me to the streaming page. And I can't view my disc shipping history either. They keep gong to a redirect loop. I have no problem with the same things for the streaming titles.
39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:03 PM   #32
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Availability:

Quote:
The new feature initially will only be available on Netflix's own website and several other viewing outlets, including the iPad, iPhone, Apple TV, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Apple TV and some smart TV models. It may take up to two weeks before the profiles choice pops up in these options. Profiles should be available on the Wii console before the end of August and on Android devices before the end of the year. Netflix subscribers who use Netflix on Roku's set-top box probably won't be able to use profiles on that device until early next year.
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/n...ccount08052013

I'm eagerly awaiting Android availability. That'll make the chromecast 100x better. (Since I'm not holding my breath on my Panasonic Viera app ever updating.)
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #33
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin View Post
(Since I'm not holding my breath on my Panasonic Viera app ever updating.)
It did in the Netflix Viera Connect app on my DMP-BDT220, on the day the feature was announced, as it did on the Netflix players in my Sony BDP-S390, WD TV Live and, of course, PS3. It has not shown up on my Panasonic DMP-BDT110, Roku 2 XS, Roku 3, Xbox 360 or the Win8 Netflix app. Its presence on the Netflix web site is subtle; you can create profiles here (I haven't found a link to that page on the web site; you can also create profiles on a PS3). Once you've created profiles you can switch between them on the web site by pulling down the menu of your account name on the top banner (above the search term field). I see no advertisement of this feature on Netflix.com at all.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
mikeyts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 09:50 PM   #34
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

How did you know it was there on the Viera? My account has profiles but I haven't seen anything on the TV about it.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:58 PM   #35
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

I ran the Netflix player in my DMP-BDT220 BDP and it came up asking me "Who's watching?" Maybe it's not in all Viera Connect/Cast Netflix players; as I said, it's not in the BDT110's.

"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
" -- hookbill
Old 08-06-2013, 10:37 AM   #36
marrone
Phased Member

I haven't seen this yet on the website, nor on the Windows 8 app.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM   #37
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

For the web site there's a link upthread for turning it on if it hasn't appeared on its own.
Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:43 PM   #38
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
It has not shown up on my Panasonic DMP-BDT110, Roku 2 XS, Roku 3, Xbox 360 or the Win8 Netflix app.
Profiles have now appeared on the Xbox 360.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 08-06-2013, 04:55 PM   #39
moyekj

Tried out profiles for 1 day and everyone in the family found it to be a PITA. So I deleted all but the main profile.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #40
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Tried out profiles for 1 day and everyone in the family found it to be a PITA. So I deleted all but the main profile.
What device where you using? On my Vizio TV it simply pops up a thing that says "who's watching" with your profiles listed. Prior to this update it had a similar option for Adult/Child so it's the same number of steps.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #41
danterner
Not it!

I wound up naming my pre-Profiles profile "Everyone" and then creating new profiles for each person.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:51 PM   #42
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
Expand on why you found it to be a PITA.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #43
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
Of course the real question is: how much would you pay if they offered the recent and best movies and series?
As much of a fan of Tivo as I am, I would pay AT LEAST as much as cable if I could just stream *current* shows (even delayed a week or two) _WITHOUT COMMERCIALS_. That is, I would cut the cord and use this theoretical service instead. And yes, I say at least. I would arguably pay more... But not the $2/episode that the various existing services charge per episode.. and it would have to clearly tell me when shows expire (I live in the real world, I realize contracts expire), so I can order my watching at least _partially_ based on expiration.

My 'fantasy' world would also allow me to watch shows faster than realtime with audio, which I do with podcasts on my iPhone, and do for some un-copy-protected things (news, documentaries, some reality shows) via dubbing to another recorder I have. I realize that's a very small use case, but I think the podcast case has made it slightly more well known.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:43 PM   #44
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
Expand on why you found it to be a PITA.
We share same computers and every time someone navigated to netflix.com you have to then select a profile before you could do anything else. Next we didn't find any easy way to copy instant queue items from main profile to a new profile. I tried keeping 2 different tabs each in its own profile and searching 1 by 1 and adding, but that got very tedious. When I had some things copied over to new profile I deleted them from main profile only to find that TiVo Netflix client only looks at the main profile to get titles, so the titles I had "moved" to my profile were no longer visible. i.e. Creating my own profile and attempting to put my titles in it was useless since TiVo couldn't see them.

So unless the clients you use can actually make use of profiles I see no point in creating profiles since you have to keep everything in main profile anyway, rendering alternate profiles useless.

Old 08-07-2013, 12:51 AM   #45
Dan203
Super Moderator

Well yeah, if the client doesn't support it then I agree it's useless. But there are several clients that do support it and if you use one of them it is very handy. Netflix promised to bring it to all clients eventually.
Old 08-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #46
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Well yeah, if the client doesn't support it then I agree it's useless. But there are several clients that do support it and if you use one of them it is very handy. Netflix promised to bring it to all clients eventually.
Believe or it or not aside from a computer which I don't find enjoyable to watch Netflix from, TiVos are the only clients we have in the house, and no plans to change that, especially with new TiVo hardware coming our way that theoretically will give us a much better experience if it's anything like the Mini running flash apps.

Old 08-07-2013, 05:42 AM   #47
Robin
w/ extra mean sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Yeah, I consider that a given.

Our tv is our primary netflix client so I hadn't bothered setting up profiles because it would be less than useless.
Old 08-07-2013, 07:14 AM   #48
sushikitten
Exhausted mama

We mainly use Roku so we have a long wait ahead...so it looks like we'll have to use AppleTV instead. That said, I haven't tried it yet after setting up two profiles.

sushikitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #49
cwoody222

My boyfriend's Western Digital streaming box now has Profiles. I was surprised a little-known box like that got it so quick. I expect my Roku will soon.

I'm not holding by breath for TiVo.
Old 08-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #50
hefe
Rebus Philbin

My Samsung TV has it now.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 01:44 PM   #51
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hefe View Post
My Samsung TV has it now.
Mine doesn't.

Did you have to update the app, or did it just show up without and update like it did in the iOS app?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #52
danterner
Not it!

On every device I have that has received the update, for profiles to appear I had to log out of Netflix on that device's Netflix app and then back in again. I was presented with the profile selection choice upon login. Except for the AppleTV, come to think of it - it just magically appeared on that.

| Facebook:
| XBOX LIVE gamertag:
| Twitter:
| Goozex:
danterner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 02:59 PM   #53
Dan203
Super Moderator

Just tried that, no dice. The Netflix app on my Samsung TV is basically identical to the one on TiVo.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #54
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
My boyfriend's Western Digital streaming box now has Profiles. I was surprised a little-known box like that got it so quick. I expect my Roku will soon.

I'm not holding by breath for TiVo.
Good thinking on TiVo.

As far as WD TV Products, which I own several of, they have ALWAYS been the first to update their firmware when any update rolls out for any service that has been updated, or WD chooses to begin supporting.

My several RoKu 2 units are always getting "channel" updates, but are the last of my non-TiVo devices to get anything like a client update.

TiVo has always been dead last, if at all, for me.

I gave up on TiVo for any online services long ago. If you own any other device that supports what TiVo does, it will likely be a better experience. But, I don't own EVERY alternate device out there, so there could be some as bad as TiVo, or worse.

If you don't own an alternate (other than TiVo) device for online services, The WD TV line is the best, but will set you back more than a RoKu (in most cases). These are the two devices I recommend, and if you have the extra cash, the WD TV line is my #1 pick. RoKu does not support DLNA, and uses it's own special (and limited) versions of the Netflix and Hulu Plus clients. WD uses the ones that are standardized, and all functions that the service has to offer will be available.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #55
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Weird. I just looked at the installed app on the TV, and it's version 3.229 that was last updated in October 2012. No update, but it shows profiles.

Old 08-08-2013, 06:47 PM   #56
Dan203
Super Moderator

Mine says version 3.105 and was last updated 10/19/2012. I think you might have a newer generation TV.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:18 PM   #57
mikeyts
Wireless Wiseguy

These players are primarily written in HTML5 for the Webkit layout engine, which allows them to make big changes to functionality and presentation in the HTML5 code which they download dynamically without any change to the underlying resident code. When they first introduced this player on PS3 they used this to test half a dozen different UIs on different machines before they settled on the one that they use now on pretty much everything. If you're a technical person, you can learn about how Netflix uses these tools here.

On the day that they announced this feature it was available on my PS3, WD TV Live, Panasonic DMP-BDT220 and Sony BDP-S390. My TiVo Premiere and Panasonic DMP-BDT110, which both have that UI, did/do not have profile support. The Xbox 360 (different UI) didn't, but it was added a day or two ago.

"
" -- hookbill
Old 08-09-2013, 05:16 PM   #58
hefe
Rebus Philbin

I have profiles on my Samsung TV, but it doesn't work.

I set up 3, one for me, and one for each kid.

When I start Netflix, if I select my profile, it proceeds to my screen of the queue and other stuff. If I select either of the kids', it goes into a loading screen, and hangs forever.

Old 08-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #59
marrone
Phased Member

It doesn't appear the Windows 8 app has it updated yet. Unless they just did it. I updated a few days ago and no profiles.

Now, I didn't do the logoff and log back in thing, but does anyone know any different?

(iPhone app hasn't been updated either)

-Mike
Old 08-16-2013, 01:45 PM   #60
stoli412

Quote:
Originally Posted by marrone View Post
It doesn't appear the Windows 8 app has it updated yet. Unless they just did it. I updated a few days ago and no profiles.

Now, I didn't do the logoff and log back in thing, but does anyone know any different?

(iPhone app hasn't been updated either)

-Mike
Not sure about Windows 8, but I had to log out and log back into the iPhone and iPad apps to get profiles.
stoli412 is offline   Reply With Quote