TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Stream
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-07-2013, 12:18 PM   #151
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
Well, I'm not sure how clear that was in 2011, honeycomb was slooow and buggy; nobody purchased the Xoom in volumes anywhere close to expectations. It took until Ice Cream Sandwich for these to have the smoothness necessary to gain market acceptance.
ICS was released only a few months later in 2011.

My main point in all this is saying that it was silly if Tivo believed that the iPad would be the only real option for a tablet. Just look at iPhone vs Android numbers by mid 2011. No crystal ball is needed to see the clear trend of what would happen with the tablet market.
mr_smits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #152
Dan203
Super Moderator

Yes but it wasn't clear that Android wouldn't support HLS properly. Apple submitted it to be an open standard. It was a reasonable assumption that it would be accepted and supported on most devices by now. They couldn't foresee that the standard would stall and that Googles implementation of it would be half assed and broken.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:02 PM   #153

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_smits View Post
ICS was released only a few months later in 2011.

My main point in all this is saying that it was silly if Tivo believed that the iPad would be the only real option for a tablet. Just look at iPhone vs Android numbers by mid 2011. No crystal ball is needed to see the clear trend of what would happen with the tablet market.
You keep saying things like this...

The bottom line is this...

iOS devices have way higher user engagement. When you track web usage and ad stats and anything relevant, iOS is beating Android between anywhere from 2:1 (phones) to 9:1) tablets.

On average app developers make 4 times as much revenue from iOS app sales than they do from Android App sales. This includes revenue from ads.

Google themselves makes more money serving ads to iOS users than they do to Android users. They testified this fact in front of congress.

It's (generally) a lot easier and cheaper to program apps for iOS than it is for Android.

Put all of these things together and it's not rocket science.

No one really knows how many Android tablets are out there. No one puts out real numbers. All we get are estimates from various research firms. Who knows how accurate they are. Google doesn't tell anyone how many Nexus tablets the sell. Samsung doesn't tell anyone how many Galaxy tablets they sell. Amazon doesn't tell anyone how many Kindle Fire's they sell and on and on down the list. It's all an unknown.

You keep talking about how the market is headed over and over again. I'm not sure it really matters. Android has had a sizable lead for years now and yet the numbers still dictate that iOS is the lead development platform. Real companies with real products looking at real customer usage stats and real financial numbers look at both platforms and all choose iOS as the lead.

It's not a conspiracy. It's economics. They aren't pro-apple. They're pro money. And pro reality.

Repeating over and over and over again that the whole world is (obviously) moving to android isn't going to make it happen any sooner, no matter how much some people wish it to be true.

Maybe someday it will be. And when that day comes, and it makes economic sense for companies to put their weight behind Android, they will.

That's not to say that TiVo shouldn't have an Android app by now, or that Android isn't a platform worth supporting... because Android is a great platform, and TiVo probably should have had the app done by now...

But I'm guessing that a combination of low overall Stream sales coupled with development complications has made them prioritize other more important things.

Last edited by ort : 08-07-2013 at 04:12 PM.
ort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 04:58 PM   #154
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
My favorite claims are these- "its only a small change", or "a minor tweak in functionality".

If it were that easy, I'm sure it would have been done already. By easy, I mean both technically and through customer acceptance. I'm not sure why the delays, but my personal guess is we will have a lot of tivo news in the fall, this included.

At this point we can continue to gripe, but it will do us no good.
I'm not just babbling here, I write code for a living. While I personally do not write java for android, members of my team do.
Grakthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 PM   #155
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin Bike View Post
So, you're basically saying that if TiVo dropped an app on the market tomorrow but your platforms were not supported you'd be happy?

Everyone agrees that not all platforms will be supported, as long as it is not their platform that is left behind.

I had this issue with silicon development. A socket-compatible processor that worked with "most" of our partners' platforms.

Back to the drawing board because you can't tell a company "it will work on these and not those, even though they all have the same socket and you built both systems to spec.

I would at least recognize progress and assume that they would be here soon.

I am "happy" that I got 4G signal about 1 hour away from my house last week, because it means 4G is coming this direction soon.

Again, netflix did this. Stop pretending you can't do something that netflix did.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:24 PM   #156
Dan203
Super Moderator

It's not about whether or not they "can" do it. Pretty much anything can be done with sufficient resources. It's about economics. Unless they think adding Android support is going to significantly boost Stream sales there is very little economic incentive for them to add it. If Android actually supported HLS properly and it was easy to do, then I'm sure they'd do it just for posterity. However it doesn't sound like that's the case. So they have to decide if the resources needed to add support will boost sales enough to make them money. If not then they may still do it for posterity but it'll probably be very low priority with limited resources dedicated to the project.

That being said TiVo showed an interesting feature at the cable show where basically they had the entire TiVo UI running in a web browser, including the ability to play videos. They didn't really give much details on how it worked, but if that is something they can get going for consumers then you may be able to stream your TiVo shows to pretty much any device.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:34 PM   #157
mr_smits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ort View Post
Google themselves makes more money serving ads to iOS users than they do to Android users. They testified this fact in front of congress.

It's (generally) a lot easier and cheaper to program apps for iOS than it is for Android.
All of that may be true, but none of it is relevant to Tivo offering Android compatibility for its Stream product. No one is clamoring for an extreme position like a Symbian OS compatible app with a fraction of a percentage of the market. Is supporting the platform that represents the most popular mobile OS in the US too logical a position?

Total market share does matter. Lead development platform doesn’t matter for companies that aren’t start ups. The only companies that release on iOS only (or significantly before Android) are those fledgling companies that are struggling to even make it to the next quarter.

Who said it is a conspiracy? I said it is poor leadership at Tivo that has led to the current situation. I believe some of it is likely due to Apple centric thinking by Tivo leadership, and that is unfortunate since it can be avoided.

I’m simply repeating the well-established facts about the growing Android market share in both phone and tablet formats. Trends are important to know for long term planning, and especially if Tivo is looking to survive and thrive in the changing television and internet streaming landscape.

I think the Stream has faced a chicken and egg scenario that has stymied sales, especially in non-Apple households. I know Tivo is coming out with an Android Stream app someday, but in the meantime, the Stream has been labeled as an Apple-only device and has turned potential customers away. It’s already difficult for Tivo to recruit new non-MSO customers since it requires significant up-front fees and often also requires giving up access to carrier on demand content. Tivo should give customers another reason to switch (or stay) instead of giving them a reason to consider attractive alternatives.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:00 PM   #158
BigJimOutlaw

The rumor continues to be November. Too long to wait since launch? Yes, but welcome to Tivo's long list of dragged out affairs. The long wait for Android is not a personal slight against it. That just makes them slow, which we knew for the better part of a decade. We can hope and wish they weren't, but that has always been the long and short of it.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 03:53 PM   #159
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
The only companies that release on iOS only (or significantly before Android) are those fledgling companies that are struggling to even make it to the next quarter.
Zynga, a very popular game company, has several apps that are only available on iOS. Only their top 3 apps are available on Android. (i.e. Words w/Friends, Hanging w/Friends and Draw Something 2) And those three lagged behind their iOS counterparts for years.

I don't know if it's market share, ease of development or the fact that iOS users buy more stuff, but a LOT of companies favor iOS over Android even today. This is not unique to TiVo.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #160
Grakthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
It's not about whether or not they "can" do it. Pretty much anything can be done with sufficient resources. It's about economics. Unless they think adding Android support is going to significantly boost Stream sales there is very little economic incentive for them to add it. If Android actually supported HLS properly and it was easy to do, then I'm sure they'd do it just for posterity. However it doesn't sound like that's the case. So they have to decide if the resources needed to add support will boost sales enough to make them money. If not then they may still do it for posterity but it'll probably be very low priority with limited resources dedicated to the project.

That being said TiVo showed an interesting feature at the cable show where basically they had the entire TiVo UI running in a web browser, including the ability to play videos. They didn't really give much details on how it worked, but if that is something they can get going for consumers then you may be able to stream your TiVo shows to pretty much any device.
Totally agree. It is about the economics. That's why any claims of "we're working on it, it just takes a long time" are bogus. They aren't working on it. If they were working on it for a year, it would be done. It would have been done months ago.
Old 08-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #161

But only TiVo knows the numbers.

If they know that 500,000 people downloaded their iOS app and they know that 250,000 people use it regularly... and they also know that 100,000 people downloaded the Android app and that 50,000 people use it regularly... then those are the only numbers that matter to them.

Total marketshare is meaningless. You go to where your actual users are.

EDIT:

Looking at total reviews on both on the google play store and apple app store...

Now reviews obviously aren't downloads or actual usage stats, but they should paint a general picture.

Google Play
Phone Version: 1,203 total reviews
Tablet Version: 264 reviews

Apple App Store
Universal (iPhone + iPad) 4,956 total reviews

Going by reviews I think it's fairly safe to say that iOS is roughly 3 times as popular amongst TiVo users.

Going beyond that, it possible that the numbers are even further off, because I'd imagine that a very small percentage of users actually bother to review most apps, and the kind of engaged and concerned person who would is way more likely to leave separate reviews for both the phone and tablet versions of the Android app, slightly inflating the number when you add both together.

Probably more notable though is that most of 264 android tablet reviews are 1 star reviews. The iOS app has a 4 star average, which, in the persnickety world of iOS app reviews is actually quite high. People who like an app and have no issues are way less likely to bother reviewing it. So it's pretty safe to guess that an overall larger percentage of android TiVo app users bothered to review it, throwing the numbers off even more.

Last edited by ort : 08-09-2013 at 01:23 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #162
atmuscarella

Quote:
But only TiVo knows the numbers.

If they know that 500,000 people downloaded their iOS app and they know that 250,000 people use it regularly... and they also know that 100,000 people downloaded the Android app and that 50,000 people use it regularly... then those are the only numbers that matter to them.

Total marketshare is meaningless. You go to where your actual users are.

EDIT:

Looking at total reviews on both on the google play store and apple app store...

Now reviews obviously aren't downloads or actual usage stats, but they should paint a general picture.

Google Play
Phone Version: 1,203 total reviews
Tablet Version: 264 reviews

Apple App Store
Universal (iPhone + iPad) 4,956 total reviews

Going by reviews I think it's fairly safe to say that iOS is roughly 3 times as popular amongst TiVo users.

Going beyond that, it possible that the numbers are even further off, because I'd imagine that a very small percentage of users actually bother to review most apps, and the kind of engaged and concerned person who would is way more likely to leave separate reviews for both the phone and tablet versions of the Android app, slightly inflating the number when you add both together.

Probably more notable though is that most of 264 android tablet reviews are 1 star reviews. The iOS app has a 4 star average, which, in the persnickety world of iOS app reviews is actually quite high. People who like an app and have no issues are way less likely to bother reviewing it. So it's pretty safe to guess that an overall larger percentage of android TiVo app users bothered to review it, throwing the numbers off even more.
I think you haven't factor in that by default everyone who has bought a stream has downloaded the IOS app and most likely on multiple devices. - For Android users unless we want our phone/tablet to be the remote why would we bother with it? Not to mention as you indicated that most people using android have given the android apps bad ratings. So again why would an android user want to download a app with bad ratings that doesn't do much?
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 08-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #163
mr_smits

Quote:
Probably more notable though is that most of 264 android tablet reviews are 1 star reviews. The iOS app has a 4 star average, which, in the persnickety world of iOS app reviews is actually quite high.
Tivo released their original iOS app 6 months before the Android version -- even longer if you count bug fixes that made the Android app friendly enough to use regularly. Furthermore, the Android app was not even designed with OS updates in mind. I remember receiving a Jelly Bean update and suddenly the Tivo app stopped working on my Galaxy Nexus. Clearly, the team responsible for the Android app really fell down on the job.

Tivo's numbers are useful to know, but again, they suffer from a chicken and egg type situation with Android- app released later the iOS and buggy, and atmuscarella's point that without Stream support Android users have little reason to use what amounts to a glorified remote control.

I'm not sure how much can really be read into online reviews. I suppose the most I can say is that Tivo created a nice app for iOS and created a ****ty app for Android.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:36 PM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by atmuscarella View Post
I think you haven't factor in that by default everyone who has bought a stream has downloaded the IOS app and most likely on multiple devices. - For Android users unless we want our phone/tablet to be the remote why would we bother with it? Not to mention as you indicated that most people using android have given the android apps bad ratings. So again why would an android user want to download a app with bad ratings that doesn't do much?
I really think the TiVo Stream has shipped out in minuscule numbers.

I think it's more of a beta product or proof of concept at this point.
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #165

Quote:
Tivo released their original iOS app 6 months before the Android version -- even longer if you count bug fixes that made the Android app friendly enough to use regularly. Furthermore, the Android app was not even designed with OS updates in mind. I remember receiving a Jelly Bean update and suddenly the Tivo app stopped working on my Galaxy Nexus. Clearly, the team responsible for the Android app really fell down on the job.

Tivo's numbers are useful to know, but again, they suffer from a chicken and egg type situation with Android- app released later the iOS and buggy, and atmuscarella's point that without Stream support Android users have little reason to use what amounts to a glorified remote control.

I'm not sure how much can really be read into online reviews. I suppose the most I can say is that Tivo created a nice app for iOS and created a ****ty app for Android.
Which goes back to what I was saying before. TiVo doesn't want to make a bad Android app. They made a bad Android app because it was either harder to get it right than it was financially worth, or there simple weren't enough users to justify the time and expense of getting it right. Or more likely, a combination of both.

Which makes it more obvious why they aren't pushing the Android version of stream out the door.

More of their customers use iOS and it's cheaper to develop for it.

Anyway, it's a free app. If you're a tech nerd and a TiVo user, you're pretty much guaranteed to at least check it out. Regardless of reviews or whether or not you have a Stream. And at this point, I would say that the vast majority of TiVo users are probably are tech nerds of some sort. You have to make a real conscious effort to be a TiVo customer these days. And supporting it is a pain compared to calling up the cable company and asking for a tech to come hook up a DVR. I bet TiVo customers, as a group, are some of the most well informed and savvy consumers out there. Tech geeks, home theater nerds, etc... You kind of have to be. People in that crowd are going to know the app exists and they are going to download it.

Last edited by ort : 08-09-2013 at 03:44 PM.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:50 PM   #166
mr_smits

Quote:
TiVo doesn't want to make a bad Android app. They made a bad Android app because it was either harder to get it right than it was financially worth, or there simple weren't enough users to justify the time and expense of getting it right. Or more likely, a combination of both.

Which makes it more obvious why they aren't pushing the Android version of stream out the door.

More of their customers use iOS and it's cheaper to develop for it.
Tivo doesn't want to make a bad Android app because they already made a bad Android app and it is too hard and expensive to make a good Android app? I think it's a strategic mistake for Tivo to not prioritize a good, functional Anrdoid app with Stream support. To lead the market and increase customers, you don't abandon the most popular mobile OS in the world because it is cheaper to develop for iOS.

I agree with your comments about Tivo users being tech nerds. You do really have to put effort into being a Tivo customer.
Old 08-13-2013, 12:12 PM   #167
button1066

Quote:
To lead the market and increase customers, you don't abandon the most popular mobile OS in the world because it is cheaper to develop for iOS.
If there is no money to be made by doing this then it won't happen. Supporting Android devices is one step up from well meaning but pointless charity work as far as I can see. Android users might say they want more functionality but the truth is they aren't so willing to either pay for it or even use it if they are given it.
button1066 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #168
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by button1066 View Post
If there is no money to be made by doing this then it won't happen. Supporting Android devices is one step up from well meaning but pointless charity work as far as I can see. Android users might say they want more functionality but the truth is they aren't so willing to either pay for it or even use it if they are given it.
I would be interest in hearing how you decided that TiVo Premiere owners with android tablets and/or phones don't want to stream video from their Premiere DVRs to those devices .
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #169
button1066

Quote:
I would be interest in hearing how you decided that TiVo Premiere owners with android tablets and/or phones don't want to stream video from their Premiere DVRs to those devices .
Have you read the other comments on this thread or is your reading comprehension somewhat selective? I didn't even say that TiVo Android users wouldn't want to stream video did I?

There are links that show Android tablet use is *bizarrely* low despite there being so many Android devices sold. Android apps sell less than iOS apps even though the potential market is larger. There are numerous complaints of the TiVo Android app being useless anyway (do YOU even use the thing LOL?) This is all on top of the explanations of the technical difficulties of trying to support Android.

There is even a post by an Android user who explains the reasons he himself hates using his Android tablet.

Real world Android use is miniscule compared to iOS. You have to do more than just ignore that particular elephant in the room otherwise there will never be an end to this particular discussion.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:48 PM   #170
atmuscarella

Quote:
Have you read the other comments on this thread or is your reading comprehension somewhat selective? I didn't even say that TiVo Android users wouldn't want to stream video did I?

There are links that show Android tablet use is *bizarrely* low despite there being so many Android devices sold. Android apps sell less than iOS apps even though the potential market is larger. There are numerous complaints of the TiVo Android app being useless anyway (do YOU even use the thing LOL?) This is all on top of the explanations of the technical difficulties of trying to support Android.

There is even a post by an Android user who explains the reasons he himself hates using his Android tablet.

Real world Android use is miniscule compared to iOS. You have to do more than just ignore that particular elephant in the room otherwise there will never be an end to this particular discussion.
Yes I am guilty of selective reading; the topic of concern is being able to stream video from a TiVo Premiere to a android tablet or phone.

I don't really care to debate anything about IOS versus Android but have responded to those who for some reason refuse to see that Android has move from a nearly irrelevant tablet operating system to the dominate one in the last 24 months. I certainly don't care what apps people buy or don't buy or what other uses (beyond streaming video from a TiVo Premiere) people have or don't have for their phones and tablets. When it comes to streaming video from a TiVo Premiere to a tablet or phone all of that other stuff is really irrelevant.

Regarding the current TiVo android app - it seems to do what they designed it to do, but it is irrelevant or worthless to me as I find no need to use my tablet as a remote control and the same would be true if I had an IOS device and that was all the IOS app did.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
Old 08-13-2013, 04:02 PM   #171
button1066

Quote:
When it comes to streaming video from a TiVo Premiere to a tablet or phone all of that other stuff is really irrelevant.
Well that stuff is not really 'irrelevant' when it has been pointed out a gazillion times that it fully explains why you are unable to stream from your TiVo to your Android device.

Quote:
Regarding the current TiVo android app - it seems to do what they designed it to do, but it is irrelevant or worthless to me as I find no need to use my tablet as a remote control and the same would be true if I had an IOS device and that was all the IOS app did.
So what exactly DO people use their Android devices for? Doorstops? Every reply from Android users in this thread just reinforces my impression that these devices are just not used. At all. And believe it or not I didn't start with that opinion.

Also, I can't help but be amused at the fact that you even say the TiVo Android app is 'irrelevant' to you. There is a severe logic fail going on here. This thread is about streaming to the TiVo app which is not supported on Android. Do you want streaming or not? Is it relevant to you or not?
Old 08-13-2013, 04:14 PM   #172
button1066

I looked the TiVo app up on the Amazon app store for Android. It does more than function as a remote control. It has pretty good reviews as well.

Conclusion: Android users just hate Android. At least the TiVo ones. You can lead them to the apps but they just won't use them.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:40 PM   #173
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm not sure that logic really applies. The Stream provides a very specific function. If someone buys a Stream then they will use the app, regardless of the usage statistics for their specific platform.

I really think the problem here is technical. People can argue that TiVo was short sighted, but as it stands the Stream uses a video technology that is only supported correctly on iOS. The only way they can "fix" that is to either a) license a 3rd party SDK or b) completely change the underlining technology they use. Both options have drawbacks. Licensing an SDK is probably easier, but could potentially cost more money especially if it has a per seat cost. Plus they have to deal with support from another company and potential issues that might crop up if that company does not stay abreast of any compatibility issues with future OS updates. Completely changing the technology is obviously a lot harder, plus there are issues with getting approval from CableLabs and having to deal with updating the Stream hardware as well as the app to support this new technology.

If Android properly supported encrypted HLS natively I'm betting they would have Android support available already. Because it doesn't they're stuck with one of the above options which makes development more difficult and more costly. If sales of the Stream have not been great then they may just decide it's not worth the cost.
Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #174
button1066

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm not sure that logic really applies. The Stream provides a very specific function. If someone buys a Stream then they will use the app, regardless of the usage statistics for their specific platform.
It could give them a reason/excuse to use their Android device?

I don't know. If Android owners hate turning the things as much as it seems they do then I doubt the temptation to buy a device that streams video to them would be hard for them to resist.

There is no obvious reason why a Stream enhanced TiVo app would interest Android users more than all the other apps they don't bother with.

To be honest the best analysis I read of Android speculated that its sales are skewed to more price conscious people who are not overly interested in the technology per se and instead just want cheaper gadgets. Not really the average TiVo user I would imagine.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:16 AM   #175
atmuscarella

Quote:
Well that stuff is not really 'irrelevant' when it has been pointed out a gazillion times that it fully explains why you are unable to stream from your TiVo to your Android device.
The opinions we all post on this forum are just that opinions. We may guess correctly or not, and likely will never know one way or another. If this thread has correctly stumbled upon the reasons TiVo does not currently support streaming to Android devices will never be known (I think Dan has actually outlined the likely reasons quit well). In the end the reasons TiVo does not support streaming to android devices are irrelevant to android devices owners. all that matters is we are not getting support for streaming to android devices.
Quote:
So what exactly DO people use their Android devices for? Doorstops? Every reply from Android users in this thread just reinforces my impression that these devices are just not used. At all. And believe it or not I didn't start with that opinion.
I would assume Android device users use their devices for whatever they want just the same as IOS devices users do. I would also assume that the way the Android devices are advertised and reviewed allot of the use has to do with streaming video.

Quote:
Also, I can't help but be amused at the fact that you even say the TiVo Android app is 'irrelevant' to you. There is a severe logic fail going on here. This thread is about streaming to the TiVo app which is not supported on Android. Do you want streaming or not? Is it relevant to you or not?
What does not wanting to use an app that makes my tablet a poor remote controls have to do with wanting to streaming video to it? I certainly would like the option to stream video to it and would have purchased a Stream if it worked with my tablet.

I am not loyal to products or companies and use what ever product or device that I think makes sense to me. At this point have have no desire to have a phone or tablet replace a computer or TV so yes I do not use my Tablet extensively but I do use it pretty much every day and have about 150 apps on it of which I would guess I use maybe 5-10 regularly and the others not so much. I am typing this on a computer because dual 24 inch monitors and a full size keyboard and mouse work better for me than a 7 inch tablet screen even with the blue tooth keyboard and mouse I bought for it. If I were sitting in my Gazebo streaming video to my tablet would certainly work better than bring my TV out their on the other hand streaming video to my tablet in my living room in front of my TV seems pretty foolish to me.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio

Last edited by atmuscarella : 08-14-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 PM   #176
mr_smits

Quote:
There is no obvious reason why a Stream enhanced TiVo app would interest Android users more than all the other apps they don't bother with.

To be honest the best analysis I read of Android speculated that its sales are skewed to more price conscious people who are not overly interested in the technology per se and instead just want cheaper gadgets. Not really the average TiVo user I would imagine.
The focus for Tivo should be bringing new customers into their tv ecosystem and retaining existing customers. Providing an app that works with the majority of smartphones in this country and the rapidly growing tablet market should be a priority, not an afterthought. Again, market trends for smart phones were clear years ago. Tablet trends are going the same direction.

Even if the 'analysis' that Android users are price conscious consumers is accurate and the real reason why these users are different than iOS users, it shouldn't matter to Tivo since, again, they are appealing to grow their business, not shrink it by sticking with iOS support only. The Tivo app is free on both platforms, and unless the plan is to begin charging for it, it doesn't matter if one market is more price sensitive. Almost everyone watches tv, and many people want a DVR.

Frankly, the 'analysis' about iOS vs Android users is being continuously misused and misinterpreted to support preconceived notions about superiority of the Apple brand and its more expensive products. Apple still has snob appeal, although like its market share, even that is waning.
Old 08-14-2013, 02:33 PM   #177
Dan203
Super Moderator

But the Stream is really not intended for phones. It works on phones, but it's geared toward tablets. And 2 years ago when they were designing it Android tablets barely even existed. Now things are changing, but in the US Apple still holds the lead. Unfortunately they've now hit a technological barrier so adding Android support is not as easy as they had probably originally anticipated.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #178
button1066

Quote:
I would assume Android device users use their devices for whatever they want just the same as IOS devices users do. I would also assume that the way the Android devices are advertised and reviewed allot of the use has to do with streaming video.
And you will go on assuming that despite all evidence to the contrary won't you?

Quote:
What does not wanting to use an app that makes my tablet a poor remote controls have to do with wanting to streaming video to it? I certainly would like the option to stream video to it and would have purchased a Stream if it worked with my tablet.

I am not loyal to products or companies and use what ever product or device that I think makes sense to me. At this point have have no desire to have a phone or tablet replace a computer or TV so yes I do not use my Tablet extensively but I do use it pretty much every day and have about 150 apps on it of which I would guess I use maybe 5-10 regularly and the others not so much. I am typing this on a computer because dual 24 inch monitors and a full size keyboard and mouse work better for me than a 7 inch tablet screen even with the blue tooth keyboard and mouse I bought for it. If I were sitting in my Gazebo streaming video to my tablet would certainly work better than bring my TV out their on the other hand streaming video to my tablet in my living room in front of my TV seems pretty foolish to me.
You're going off on a bit of a tangent here. Little too much unsolicited information about your personal life so I'll just stop here.

For the record the Android app does way more than function as 'a poor remote control'. I have sympathy for Android users who enjoy and get good use out of their devices and who want more TiVo functionality but it really does turn out that these people are in short supply. I'm amazed at how the stereotypes stack up and I honestly used to think I would end up buying an Android device. Dodged a bullet I think.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:26 PM   #179
button1066

Quote:
Even if the 'analysis' that Android users are price conscious consumers is accurate and the real reason why these users are different than iOS users, it shouldn't matter to Tivo since, again, they are appealing to grow their business, not shrink it by sticking with iOS support only. The Tivo app is free on both platforms, and unless the plan is to begin charging for it, it doesn't matter if one market is more price sensitive. Almost everyone watches tv, and many people want a DVR.

Frankly, the 'analysis' about iOS vs Android users is being continuously misused and misinterpreted to support preconceived notions about superiority of the Apple brand and its more expensive products. Apple still has snob appeal, although like its market share, even that is waning.
You grow a business with 'price conscious' people by selling Mcdoubles not Filet Mignon. Try to fob a Filet Mignon off on an Android user and he'll be lecturing you about how 'irrelevant' and 'worthless' steak is in no time. And telling you about his Gazebo.

The analysis alluded to above of Android users is that they are not just Mcdouble eaters but also intimidated by and resistant to geeky tech stuff.

I honestly don't think Apple has much to worry about in terms of a market for its products in the near future. The way to beat them will be to innovate with something better not swamp the market with cheaper devices that no-one uses.
Old 08-21-2013, 07:25 PM   #180
tlc

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...407128012.html

Quote:
The TiVo Roamio box, top, and the new TiVo app for iOS, above, lets users choose between watching shows on a TV or on an iPad. An Android version is in the works.
Quote:
I also used a test build of a revised TiVo app for Apple's iOS mobile operating system that adds support for outside-the-home streaming. TiVo says an Android counterpart to this forthcoming iOS app will follow roughly six months later.
Of course, it doesn't explicitly say it will work with the Stream.

As for streaming outside the home:
Quote:
In every spot except the Apple store, which had an exceptionally fast connection for a public place, the TiVo streaming quality was terrible, almost unwatchable. Buffering was lengthy, video was fuzzy and stuttering and stopping frequent.

Granted, all the locations other than the Apple store had very slow Internet connections, generally under 2 megabits per second. But on other services like Netflix, video—sometimes even the same shows—came in fine at those locales.

TiVo acknowledges this situation but points out I was testing a very early version of the Roamio's global streaming ability and the iOS app.