TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-06-2013, 11:36 PM   #2311
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cook View Post
Hello all.

I have a 2 tuner Premiere that I was having problems with so I was trying to upgrade from an original 320gig to a 1tb WD10EURX using jmfs-rev104.

The original drive must of been bad cause after a few hours of what I thought was going well of copying I got a "Copy did not finish successfully" error. I don't really care about the shows that I had on the old drive, can I just delete what I started on the new drive then expand and supersize without copying? I'm stuck at knowing what to do from here so any help would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Try reseating all the cables for starters.

This is why I put my original stock drive (after syncing with the Cableco) on the shelf when I upgrade.
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:42 PM   #2312
cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Try reseating all the cables for starters.

This is why I put my original stock drive (after syncing with the Cableco) on the shelf when I upgrade.
Thank you ThreeSoFar,
I guess I had a little power surge and was the reason for the uncompleted copy. Started the copy again last night and let it run, it's been over 12 hours with USB sata adapter for both HD's (average rate 6212kb's) and now at the "trimming failed blocks" part. My original 360gig drive is definitely bad as it has over 2,400 errors (wow!) and errsize of 325 mbs showing.

You think the Tivo will recognize the new hd and will start up with that many errors on the original?

Thanks again.

UPDATE: Now at "Splitting failed blocks" I have no idea what this means?

Last edited by cook : 08-07-2013 at 06:03 PM.
cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:35 AM   #2313
L David Matheny

Quote:
UPDATE: Now at "Splitting failed blocks" I have no idea what this means?
It means the program (ddrescue?) is retrying the blocks that were originally unreadable by reading them in smaller pieces (fewer sectors) to try to recover as much data as possible as quickly as possible. It will eventually subdivide bad blocks until it's retrying the unreadable parts one sector at a time, and then finally it will give up on any individual sectors which still have errors.
L David Matheny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:46 AM   #2314
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by L David Matheny View Post
It means the program (ddrescue?) is retrying the blocks that were originally unreadable by reading them in smaller pieces (fewer sectors) to try to recover as much data as possible as quickly as possible. It will eventually subdivide bad blocks until it's retrying the unreadable parts one sector at a time, and then finally it will give up on any individual sectors which still have errors.
You'll probably need a lot of patience too.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:58 AM   #2315
cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
You'll probably need a lot of patience too.
Tell me about it..
It's been going for about 36 hours since I first pushed the copy command, still on "splitting failed blocks" but the errsize has been slowly going down from almost 400mb to now 88870 kb and the ipos & opos has been going up and both are now at 317813mb with a rescued size of 319984MB which hasn't moved. Is that good? Can I stop it now and expand, supersize or does it have to finish completely? Time from last successful read is going well past 40 min. when yesterday it was in the seconds.
My patience is wearing a little thin. At this point I don't really care about the shows on the original drive.

Thank you for any advice and help.

Last edited by cook : 08-08-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:31 PM   #2316
ggieseke

If the damage is just in the shows, no problem. If it's in a critical part of the file system or the TiVo software itself...

There's no way to know for sure what's on the bad spots that it's trying to recover, so if you can stand the suspense just sit back and wait it out. That still won't guarantee a working TiVo but at least you gave it your best shot. If it won't boot and run correctly after that there are clean images you can download, but saving your Season Passes, thumbs ratings, shows, settings, etc is worth trying.
Old 08-08-2013, 03:46 PM   #2317
cook

Quote:
If the damage is just in the shows, no problem. If it's in a critical part of the file system or the TiVo software itself...

There's no way to know for sure what's on the bad spots that it's trying to recover, so if you can stand the suspense just sit back and wait it out. That still won't guarantee a working TiVo but at least you gave it your best shot. If it won't boot and run correctly after that there are clean images you can download, but saving your Season Passes, thumbs ratings, shows, settings, etc is worth trying.
Copy that, will do. Whats one more day anyway?

Thanks ggieseke, although I don't post much I do lurk around this community a lot for info (I have a couple Series 3 and a Premier) and I see your a great contributor, it's very much appreciated when a voice of reason responds.

I'll get back when it completes, hopefully by tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:16 PM   #2318
ggieseke

Hope it works, but there are several options if it doesn't. I was a lurker here for almost 8 years before I made my 1st post.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:18 PM   #2319
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Hope it works, but there are several options if it doesn't. I was a lurker here for almost 8 years before I made my 1st post.
Unfortunately, I am like you, and having not joined until I needed to post, I'm always getting those who joined 8 years before me looking down their noses at me and telling me that my join date and/or post count somehow limits what I know, and/or lowers the value of the things I post...

The way I see it, the TRUE experts are the ones who have no need for the forums, or don't find themselves needing to post a question, which negates a need to join (since you can simply Google your issue, and find the relevant posts here, often easier than trying to read a 23,456 post long thread)...
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:42 PM   #2320
cook

SUCCESS...

After 4.5 days of grinding away the copy finally finished. I expanded and super-sized, plugged the sucker in and wahla, 1tb of Tivo goodness.

Thank you ggieseke for talking me off the ledge, all shows were there plus season passes and cable card worked liked a charm..I'm just not used to seeing 25% on the capacity bar.

Thank you again.
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #2321
ThreeSoFar
FourNow...WaitFive

Quote:
SUCCESS...

After 4.5 days of grinding away the copy finally finished. I expanded and super-sized, plugged the sucker in and wahla, 1tb of Tivo goodness.

Thank you ggieseke for talking me off the ledge, all shows were there plus season passes and cable card worked liked a charm..I'm just not used to seeing 25% on the capacity bar.

Thank you again.
Nice! Never give up on ddrescue, I guess.

If it booted, there's no catastrophic errors in the OS areas. Keep an eye out for any 'glitches in the matrix' when you watch those recordings...
ThreeSoFar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 07:31 PM   #2322
cook

Thank you too ThreeSoFar.

My wife had no faith and since she's always right it was a really anxious few minutes for me waiting to see if it would fire up but when I saw that intro Tivo "cartoon" it was a happy day.

I got a pat on the back and now she's cooking me her famous lasagna.

So far the recorded shows are all looking good but I'll keep a eye on them. I don't know if it's just me but the picture looks much better too.

Last edited by cook : 08-09-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #2323
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeSoFar View Post
Nice! Never give up on ddrescue, I guess.
Amen!

In my experiences, GNU DD_RESCUE never fails to complete, unless the computer itself crashes, or the source drive fails entirely (beyond being able to try again).
Old 08-09-2013, 08:01 PM   #2324
cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
Amen!

In my experiences, GNU DD_RESCUE never fails to complete, unless the computer itself crashes, or the source drive fails entirely (beyond being able to try again).
I am a fan now of dd_rescue.
With those usb adapters it was a long, slow process but the drive did have a lot of errors.

I didn't realize what I was getting into but in the end it was worth it..so far.
Old 08-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #2325
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

Quote:
I am a fan now of dd_rescue.
With those usb adapters it was a long, slow process but the drive did have a lot of errors.

I didn't realize what I was getting into but in the end it was worth it..so far.
also it's a good idea to have the PC & drives plugged into a UPS.

nothing worse than waiting a couple of days, and just before it's done... get a power glitch, just long enough to reboot your PC.

That's when a professional will be required to talk you off the ledge.

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #2326
RandallW

jmfs doesn't run from bootup, black screen

So I'm attempting to upgrade my TiVo Premiere drive to a WD Green 1 TB drive from a restored image. The restore with DVRBARs worked fine, but now I'm stuck on the process of booting up into jmfs. (I need to expand the drive after using DVRBARS).

I burned the .iso to a cd, and rebooting my PC starts into the process, but after two files loading, it then loads a blank black screen. I've let it sit there for about 10 minutes with no change before manually shutting off my PC.

I read earlier in the thread (Or maybe the TiVO HD jmfs Upgrade thread) that there's some issues from using a Gigabit motherboard, but I'm using a MSI motherboard.

Any ideas on what I can do to run jmfs on my PC? Thanks!
RandallW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:10 PM   #2327
jmbach

It is possible but rare that the iso you downloaded got corrupted during the download. Redownload it and burn it again.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:25 PM   #2328
RandallW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
It is possible but rare that the iso you downloaded got corrupted during the download. Redownload it and burn it again.
I reburned the same jmfs iso twice on my PC and once on my Mac, then burned the prior version on my Mac all with the same results of the blank black screen after loading two files.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:56 AM   #2329
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallW View Post
I reburned the same jmfs iso twice on my PC and once on my Mac, then burned the prior version on my Mac all with the same results of the blank black screen after loading two files.
I may have missed but have you tried using jfms on the mac?
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:38 AM   #2330
L David Matheny

Quote:
I burned the .iso to a cd, and rebooting my PC starts into the process, but after two files loading, it then loads a blank black screen. I've let it sit there for about 10 minutes with no change before manually shutting off my PC.
Have you burned .ISO images before? For example, in my (older) version of Nero Express, the program asks, "What would you like to burn?", and you select "Disc Image or Saved Project", then select "Files of type: Image Files (*.nrg;*.iso;*.cue)", then select your .ISO image file. If you burn it as a data disc, you'll just end up with a copy of the .ISO on your CD. I suppose it's also possible that the .ISO image doesn't contain some driver required by your motherboard or video card, if they're unusual in some way. Does the CD go through a fairly lengthy boot process before ending up at the black screen? Does it display anything during that time?
Old 08-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #2331
cook

Try booting from a USB flash drive instead. I was having the same problem with the jmfs iso burned to a cd but after I used it on a usb flash it booted up fine (Don't know why)

As comer say's "To make bootable USB, search google and download "Universal USB installer", start it and follow the instructions. When asked what type of Linux, uncheck "download ISO", choose either "Other" or "Slax 6" and navigate to ISO file."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgN4XQQNQDE is a Youtube tutorial.

Last edited by cook : 08-14-2013 at 06:17 PM.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:15 PM   #2332
RandallW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I may have missed but have you tried using jfms on the mac?
Haven't tried on a Mac yet, as I have the HD in my PC, and don't have a spare enclosure to attach via USB to my Mac, good thought though!

Quote:
Have you burned .ISO images before? For example, in my (older) version of Nero Express, the program asks, "What would you like to burn?", and you select "Disc Image or Saved Project", then select "Files of type: Image Files (*.nrg;*.iso;*.cue)", then select your .ISO image file. If you burn it as a data disc, you'll just end up with a copy of the .ISO on your CD. I suppose it's also possible that the .ISO image doesn't contain some driver required by your motherboard or video card, if they're unusual in some way. Does the CD go through a fairly lengthy boot process before ending up at the black screen? Does it display anything during that time?
Pretty familiar with burning CDs and .ISO's, though I wasn't using Nero (what I was most used to on PC). I was using Toast Titanium on Mac, which I'm very familiar with now.

System starts, shows basic bios loading, then display info screen, then loading /boot/vmlinuz........ /bot/initrd.gz........ then a blank black screen.

Quote:
Try booting from a USB flash drive instead. I was having the same problem with the jmfs iso burned to a cd but after I used it on a usb flash it booted up fine (Don't know why)

As comer say's "To make bootable USB, search google and download "Universal USB installer", start it and follow the instructions. When asked what type of Linux, uncheck "download ISO", choose either "Other" or "Slax 6" and navigate to ISO file."

I'll try out the USB boot drive next. Just got the replacement fan in for my premiere from Newegg, so excited to get everything up and running again.

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 PM   #2333
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

There are some "issues" with JMFS and some hardware.

I have a pile of various ECS boards that Fry's bundles with their CPUs, when they do the "get both for less than the cost od the CPU alone" type promos.

JMFS will boot with some of the boards, but JMFS won't (fully) recognize the VIA chipsets, so it won't recognize the SATA controllers, or anything attached, or it will do as described over the past few posts, and just not boot all the way. Yes, everything is integrated on-board. No 3rd-party boards are in use.

Since the sourcecode is available, an expert in Linux-based utilities *should* be able to add the necessary drivers, and it *should* then work fine.

Unfortunately, I'm not an "expert" on Linux, and have no clue how to do this. A step-by-step guide in adding the drivers for the hardware would be just the ticket for me. Otherwise, I'm stuck using standard Intel chipset boards to use JMFS.

Anybody willing to post a step-by-step "sticky" on this? It would be GREATLY appreciated...
Old 08-14-2013, 11:56 PM   #2334
RandallW

Quote:

Just tried the step by step for both "Other" and "Slax 7" (the only available Slax install with the latest Universal USB Installer). Didn't work on my system. After booting and attempting to start up via USB, it just goes to a blank black screen again. Hmm... Maybe I'll have to see if I can do this at work with a PC there.
Old 08-15-2013, 10:50 AM   #2335
L David Matheny

Quote:
Pretty familiar with burning CDs and .ISO's, though I wasn't using Nero (what I was most used to on PC). I was using Toast Titanium on Mac, which I'm very familiar with now.

System starts, shows basic bios loading, then display info screen, then loading /boot/vmlinuz........ /bot/initrd.gz........ then a blank black screen.
The screens go by quickly, but I think I'm seeing the same thing from my jmfs live CD rev. 104, so your CD is probably burned correctly and starting to boot correctly. But then my screen clears and two Linux penguins appear in the upper left corner, followed a few seconds later by more text lines as the system continues to boot. My guess would be that the system doesn't have correct display drivers for your hardware.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #2336
RandallW

Quote:
The screens go by quickly, but I think I'm seeing the same thing from my jmfs live CD rev. 104, so your CD is probably burned correctly and starting to boot correctly. But then my screen clears and two Linux penguins appear in the upper left corner, followed a few seconds later by more text lines as the system continues to boot. My guess would be that the system doesn't have correct display drivers for your hardware.
I thought of two things I'll try later today. There is an onboard video card for the Motherboard, that maybe it's trying to output to instead? (Then again, the initial boot up sequence shows up fine). The other is I'll remove my original SATA HD in the SATA 1 slot and move the TiVo HD in that same spot, as the only HD plugged in. All else fails, I'll try it here at work.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:25 PM   #2337
RandallW

Ended up bringing the drive to work along with the CD. Worked fine to load/boot linux with the penguins via CD and expanded the drive. Is it only supposed to take about a second to expand a drive? LOL.
Old 08-16-2013, 03:29 PM   #2338
ggieseke

Quote:
Ended up bringing the drive to work along with the CD. Worked fine to load/boot linux with the penguins via CD and expanded the drive. Is it only supposed to take about a second to expand a drive? LOL.
Yup.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:38 PM   #2339
unitron

Quote:
"Expanding", on a TiVo drive, is basically just re-writing the header on a partition to tell it that it ends further down the road than it thought it did.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:36 PM   #2340
RandallW

Nice, HD worked fine, now I just have to go back and connect with TiVo as my lifetime subscription doesn't seem to be working (listed as 11: Evaluation, and won't let me record anything).