TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #61
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If all this update does is correct the expired cookie problem, they can take forever rolling it as far as I'm concerned. Now if they've added some tuning retries to fight SDV tuning failures, I'm getting excited.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 09:10 AM   #62
HerronScott

I'd guess we're still in the initial testing rollout which is usually 2 weeks before general rollout. I haven't seen it yet on either of my S3 OLED's or the HD.

Scott
HerronScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 04:54 PM   #63
wtkflhn

11.0m

I forced many re-connects to get 11.0m on my other 2 machines to no avail. I'm glad to hear it is still rolling, albeit slowly.

Don H.
wtkflhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:01 PM   #64
aaronw

Speaking of updates, I just got a stuck transfer going from my Premiere to my S3 HD and I have no idea how to unstick it. There's something in the recording history about a show unable to transfer due to error, and gives 12/31/69 as an error date. I've tried rebooting the S3 HD several times, turning off and on the video downloads via the website (a,a,a -> i,i,i and back) and every time I start a transfer it thinks about it for a bit, then puts on the blue light and says 'this transfer will start after other transfers have finished', and then that new one shows up in the to-do list but I can't find the 'old' one anywhere. Any other ideas?
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:22 PM   #65
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtkflhn View Post
I forced many re-connects to get 11.0m on my other 2 machines to no avail.
That's a bit like hitting the elevator button repeatedly. TiVo has already scheduled a day for your TiVo to be updated;* when it makes its daily call that day is when it will get the update, and not before. At most, you can shave a few hours off the update time by forcing a call, if you happen to already be at the appointed day.

* This may not be literally true -- I don't have inside knowledge -- but functionally, this is how it appears to work. I can tell you for certain that it's not based on "in X calls from now", nor is it a random probability that's invariant with each call (such that increasing the number of calls increases your chances).

wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 05:51 PM   #66
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw View Post
I've tried rebooting the S3 HD several times,
You have two Tivos involved in this. Did you restart the Premiere too?
Old 07-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #67
aaronw

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
You have two Tivos involved in this. Did you restart the Premiere too?
I didn't try restarting the Premiere, but I suppose maybe the S3 signals to the premiere "Hey, give me this show" and the Premiere says "hey, you forgot this one" and then the S3 says "what show?" and it gets confused. I'll try restarting the Premiere tonight and see if that makes it better.
Old 07-16-2013, 12:03 AM   #68
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw View Post

I didn't try restarting the Premiere, but I suppose maybe the S3 signals to the premiere "Hey, give me this show" and the Premiere says "hey, you forgot this one" and then the S3 says "what show?" and it gets confused. I'll try restarting the Premiere tonight and see if that makes it better.
The easiest way to fix problems like these is reboot both boxes at the same time. It doesn't need to be exactly at the same time, but you should restart the 2nd box before the 1st box gets to the almost there screen.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:28 PM   #69
aaronw

And looks like restarting the premiere has solved the issue - I did a transfer after rebooting it and it worked fine.
Old 07-16-2013, 11:42 PM   #70
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
I do think that treating kickstart as a regular maintenance procedure is bad advice.
The question I had is was it good advice? What exactly are you fixing if it ain't broke?

Prior to me having reboot problems with kmttg I think my HD had been up for over 6 months. My premier last rebooted on the last software release. I didn't realize they needed "regular maintenance". Now if it were windowz machines with memory leaks I could see an occasional reboot just to reclaim resources but I never saw the need to do anything but let mine do what they do best...
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:44 AM   #71
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
The question I had is was it good advice? What exactly are you fixing if it ain't broke?

Prior to me having reboot problems with kmttg I think my HD had been up for over 6 months. My premier last rebooted on the last software release. I didn't realize they needed "regular maintenance". Now if it were windowz machines with memory leaks I could see an occasional reboot just to reclaim resources but I never saw the need to do anything but let mine do what they do best...
Since my original SHARING, of that I routinely (at least every 6 months between), do a KickStart 52, which is technically called an "emergency software reinstall", on all of my TiVo HD units, a firestorm ensued...

All it does, is install a copy of the current software to the alternate boot/system partitions, and switches the TiVo over to use those, instead.

If you consider the situation of the current Premiere models, this scenario happens, roughly every six months, except NEW software is installed.

With the TiVo HD not receiving any new updates for years now, except the update this thread is about, which is an exception, it does not read/write/seek to the non-active partitions, and this leads to unbalanced wear/tear on the drive.

I've nuked all models of TiVos left and right doing unnecessary KickStarts, with the EXCEPTION of KS52. It's NEVER bricked a unit, for me.

I've seen people post about the partition switch, at the time of an actual update, bricking their units, because the partition changeover moved the active areas to areas with bad sectors. I have not seen any reports of a KS52 doing this, ALTHOUGH IT IS ENTIRELY POSSIBLE, if the drive is failing.

I've basically been accused of promoting early drive failure. A bad sector is a bad sector. A bad drive is a bad drive. All I've potentially done, by SHARING what I do (not recommending, or telling people to do), is to expose a drive that is already bad. What I shared will not make a drive bad, or make it bad faster.

IMHO, what I shared is a (kind of) DIY form of PWL (Pre-emptive Wear Leveling), by making sure that the drive reads/writes/seeks are more balanced, throughout the life of a TiVo that hasn't seen an update for years, or won't ever be seeing one.

For those who know how to access the TiVo's internal logs, there you will find a plethora of information as to what happens when you do a KS52.

EDIT/ADD: Is it a good idea? Is it something anybody else should do? Well, that's up to each and every person to decide. Like I said, from the beginning, it's something I do, hasn't caused me any trouble, and has sometimes stabilized a TiVo that seemed to be getting lethargic and/or started to just operate in ways that were not "usual" to me. To each their own. Do what you will. I could care less if I'm the only person who does it. I only shared that I do, along with some reasons why I do it, and how I feel it may be beneficial. If doing this bricks your TiVo, feel free to post about it. It would be the first I've seen of any such report. That doesn't mean it couldn't happen, or hasn't. I just haven't seen any reports of it, myself.

While my HD units updated to this new software, without a hitch, how sure is anybody that their alternate partitions are fine? I knew mine were, because of the Ping-Pong I played with the existing software twice a year.

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-17-2013 at 01:21 AM.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:43 PM   #72
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nooneuknow View Post
All it does, is install a copy of the current software to the alternate boot/system partitions, and switches the TiVo over to use those, instead..
I see, my HD is hacked so I would have to reapply them if I did this.

It sounds like it mostly makes you feel better since reinstalling an OS doesn't fix anything unless the old OS was broke. It's not like files wear out or anything like that.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 07:49 PM   #73
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
I see, my HD is hacked so I would have to reapply them if I did this.

It sounds like it mostly makes you feel better since reinstalling an OS doesn't fix anything unless the old OS was broke. It's not like files wear out or anything like that.
I can't comment on the first part. I have no idea.

Otherwise, like you said, it's not like the files are going to "wear out" by being copied, and it won't break them (unless installed onto bad sectors, which would have to already be bad, or already going bad).

Last edited by nooneuknow : 07-18-2013 at 07:56 PM. Reason: clarification addition
Old 07-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #74
moonscape

Spoke with Tivo today about my suggestions problem (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...62#post9747462) and as an aside asked about the 'M' update and she said 'K' was the last one - and would be.

Guess it's not surprising she had nothing new to bring to the table about my sudden out-of-the-blue suggestions issue!

I've not gotten the update on my Series 3 or HD either.
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 04:07 PM   #75
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonscape View Post
Spoke with Tivo today about my suggestions problem (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...62#post9747462) and as an aside asked about the 'M' update and she said 'K' was the last one - and would be.

Guess it's not surprising she had nothing new to bring to the table about my sudden out-of-the-blue suggestions issue!

I've not gotten the update on my Series 3 or HD either.
[sar]GASP a CSR that doesn't have the full info.. that never happens! [/sar]

m is out there, it's just a slow rollout
Old 07-27-2013, 04:26 PM   #76
moonscape

Yep - that's what I told her ... (not the part about her not knowing squat)
moonscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:03 PM   #77
wtkflhn

It sure IS a slow roll out. I still have only one of my 3 TIVO's updated.

D. H.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:22 PM   #78
CuriousMark
Forum Denizen

As I recall, they do an initial rollout to a small percentage of users and wait a few weeks to see if there is a spike in support calls and visits. If not, they then sent it to all the rest.
CuriousMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #79
HerronScott

I was just thinking the same thing. It used to be a 2 week period before general rollout. Neither of mine have gotten the new version yet.

Scott
Old 08-02-2013, 04:15 PM   #80
wtkflhn

I still only have 1 or 3 TIVO's updated. Last night my S3 got a bad Hard drive. I replaced with a new one, I thought maybe that would spark an update. In the past, when I have replaced the drive, they usually have an older version of the software. But this one had 11.0k, and that's what stayed.

Don H
Old 08-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #81
djl25
C64 hacker

Does anyone know for certain what is contained in this update? I agree, if it's just a fix for the expired cookie problem then it's not hugely compelling. It would be wonderful if they had taken the opportunity to roll in some other fixes, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
If all this update does is correct the expired cookie problem, they can take forever rolling it as far as I'm concerned. Now if they've added some tuning retries to fight SDV tuning failures, I'm getting excited.

djl25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 05:50 PM   #82
Dan203
Super Moderator

If there are any fixes, which I doubt, they'll probably only be bug fixes. I would not expect any visible changes or added features.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 06:07 PM   #83
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
If there are any fixes, which I doubt, they'll probably only be bug fixes. I would not expect any visible changes or added features.
The only major issue that really needs to be fixed is the diagnostic screen lock up. I doubt they'll fix that though.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:17 PM   #84
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
The only major issue that really needs to be fixed is the diagnostic screen lock up. I doubt they'll fix that though.
That would be an opinion, not a fact. There are plenty of bugs that affect some, and not others, due to how the HD is used.

I sure plenty of people that didn't make your ignore list feel differently on the HD Diag Screen lock-up being the "ONLY major issue that really needs to be fixed".
Old 08-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #85
morac
Cat God

Quote:

That would be an opinion, not a fact. There are plenty of bugs that affect some, and not others, due to how the HD is used.

I sure plenty of people that didn't make your ignore list feel differently on the HD Diag Screen lock-up being the "ONLY major issue that really needs to be fixed".
Any bug that locks up the box completely and requires pulling the plug is a major one in my opinion, regardless how often it affects users. Personally I rarely use my S3 anymore so if only hits me if I forget about the bug and go to check for cable signal problems.

And if your curious why I took you off my ignore lost, it's because I use the Forum Runner app to read the forums here and there's a bug in it where it won't mark a thread as read if the last poster is on my ignore list. Since you tend to be the last poster in almost every subscribed thread I read, ....
Old 08-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #86
HerronScott

One of my 2 S3 OLED's just got 11.0m with today's call in (had pending restart so I went ahead and restarted) so maybe the general rollout has started?

Scott

Last edited by HerronScott : 08-25-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:06 AM   #87
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Any bug that locks up the box completely and requires pulling the plug is a major one in my opinion, regardless how often it affects users. Personally I rarely use my S3 anymore so if only hits me if I forget about the bug and go to check for cable signal problems.

And if your curious why I took you off my ignore lost, it's because I use the Forum Runner app to read the forums here and there's a bug in it where it won't mark a thread as read if the last poster is on my ignore list. Since you tend to be the last poster in almost every subscribed thread I read, ....
The next time that happens, try just disconnecting the coax cable and see if the box recovers, then reconnect it. It has worked for me in the past.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:26 AM   #88
morac
Cat God

Quote:

The next time that happens, try just disconnecting the coax cable and see if the box recovers, then reconnect it. It has worked for me in the past.
It doesn't. TiVo has acknowledged the bug exists, but they just never plan on fixing it since it only happens occasionally and the Series 3 boxes are EOL.
Old 08-24-2013, 08:41 AM   #89
pgoelz

Wow, this was an informative thread! I now know that there is a reason our Tivo Desktop no longer works, the Premiere may have improved since the last time I considered getting one, and the fact that the diagnostic screen freezes my Tivo HD isn't just me. Thanks!

Can anyone confirm that the "m" firmware on an HD actually restores Tivo Desktop operation?

And I have to say that I am annoyed that Tivo (the company) does not continue to actively and promptly support the HD, EOL or not. We PAY for service each and every month. I can understand declaring something that was a simple purchase "EOL" and moving on, but not if we are required to pay for service every month.

Paul
pgoelz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2013, 11:11 AM   #90
morac
Cat God

There's a patch for TiVo Desktop 2.8.3. If you install the patch, TiVo Desktop will work with Series 3 boxes.

http://support.tivo.com/app/answers/...a_id/196#Known