TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-07-2013, 08:43 PM   #31
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiodane View Post
So, as it stands today, the card has not been paired, has not been activated, but I have gotten some kind of channel map.
Well, today marks 101 days since the above comment was made. 901 still doesn't tune, but all the other free OTA re-broadcast channels (nbc, cbs, abc, etc) still tune just fine and record just fine. So the 90 day concern that was raised earlier seems to not be the case. Getting the proper card on eBay for the proper head unit, at least in my case, seems to have worked like a charm.

Now, to be clear, before someone misunderstands me-- I am NOT getting channels I didn't pay for! I am NOT getting free cable! What I'm getting are the free broadcast channels (abc, cbs, nbc, pbs) that I' already paying for (even with basic analog cable), in digital HD format. The channels that anyone can already be getting with an antenna. THOSE are the channels I'm getting..

happy tuning!
..dane
audiodane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #32
mattack

Yeah, I didn't reread the whole thread, but the title is misleading. As I said above, I knew that you could get broadcast data for OTA-rebroadcast channels with an unpaired card.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:40 PM   #33
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Yeah, I didn't reread the whole thread, but the title is misleading. As I said above, I knew that you could get broadcast data for OTA-rebroadcast channels with an unpaired card.
Well, yes, thanks, but when I started this thread, that answer was certainly not very well understood, and also fairly hotly debated.. Hindsight is what it is. Not only is the card not paired, it's also not even activated. For that matter, it's not even from the same cable company. So I think this thread has done some good to clear some things up, at the least..

And yes, the title is probably not very clear. I would be happy to request a thread re-name, but honestly I don't know what would be the best new title? It fit when the thread was stated, but has morphed into what it is now..

cheers,
..dane
Old 06-10-2013, 12:29 PM   #34
shwru980r

Quote:
someone with basic analog cable who wants to also get the fcc-mandated free broadcast channels without the hassle of an OTA antenna..

cheers,
..dane
Why not pay a professional installer to install an antenna in your attic or on the roof, since you don't want the hassle of installing it? It would still be even cheaper in the long run. You've spent a great deal of time installing cable cards and rerunning guided setup to get this to work. The time you spent with these cablecards could have been spent setting up an antenna and then you could cancel cable.

Premiere-$99 Lifetime-OTA
HD-Lifetime-OTA
S3 OLED-Lifetime-OTA
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #35
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by shwru980r View Post
Why not pay a professional installer to install an antenna in your attic or on the roof, since you don't want the hassle of installing it? It would still be even cheaper in the long run. You've spent a great deal of time installing cable cards and rerunning guided setup to get this to work. The time you spent with these cablecards could have been spent setting up an antenna and then you could cancel cable.
Two part answer- I have, and I can't. I have, in that I had tried several antennas, including several tried and true DIY approaches as can be researched at AVSforum (one of the most knowledgeable places for antenna design). Things improved a good bit, but not enough to fully transition season passes to OTA-only recording. We live in a valley in between two close hills... tvfool.com confirms we're in a tough spot.. I can't, in that even if that had worked, we have a large number of family programming recorded that is not carried on broadcast channels. So even if the antenna work succeeded, we'd still have our cable bill for the other shows we watch. So, why bother with iffy OTA? If we're keeping cable anyway, why not get cablecards working and get those same HD channels.. So in the end that's what brought me down this road..

cheers,
..dane
Old 06-16-2013, 10:29 AM   #36
real_goose

Thanks dane. This thread was very useful to me. I ordered an M card and now I have guide data for all the clear QAM stations on my local FiOS system. I mainly use the HD for OTA, but there are several QAM channels I was also watching. The addition of guide data makes me very happy.

Last edited by real_goose : 06-16-2013 at 10:34 AM.
real_goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 01:37 PM   #37
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by real_goose View Post
Thanks dane. This thread was very useful to me. I ordered an M card and now I have guide data for all the clear QAM stations on my local FiOS system. I mainly use the HD for OTA, but there are several QAM channels I was also watching. The addition of guide data makes me very happy.
great! I am so glad that others are finding this thread useful!

..dane
Old 08-05-2013, 04:40 PM   #38
JimG19

Audiodane or anyone,

I am currently attempting to do this as well. When you inserted the unpaired card, did you then run guided set-up with the card in or had you already run guided setup (saying you would get the card later) and merely insert the unpaired card?

If it is the latter, did you get the "acquiring channel information" screen, and if so, for how long? Also, did you have to reboot afterward to get the channels to come up? Anything you can recall, I would appreciate.

Jim
JimG19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2013, 12:32 AM   #39
audiodane

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimG19 View Post
I am currently attempting to do this as well. When you inserted the unpaired card, did you then run guided set-up with the card in or had you already run guided setup (saying you would get the card later) and merely insert the unpaired card?

If it is the latter, did you get the "acquiring channel information" screen, and if so, for how long? Also, did you have to reboot afterward to get the channels to come up? Anything you can recall, I would appreciate.
Sorry Jim for not responding sooner. I don't come around here too often right now. So many things going on, it's hard to juggle them all.

I think my TivoHD did NOT make me re-run guided setup, since I had already set it up using the digital lineup. The "acquiring channel information" twirly wheel did come up, and after about 10 minutes of it I rebooted the Tivo, as I recall. Long story short, I think I finally decided to just leave it alone, and eventually it popped up a screen that it was downloading a firmware update (which took a while.. 30 minutes?). After that, things worked automagically.

Now, with all that said..

WOW (was Knology) just decided to really mess with things.. Both our Tivo's are acting up in different ways. But even some channels are out with the CATV straight into the back of the TV. I called WOW today and they acknowledged that they're undergoing some system changes right now. They've offered to roll a truck, but I'm currently messing with the two spare CC's that I have along with some Tivo settings first to see what I can do about it on my own first. I don't think shows that the unpaired CC idea is flawed, but I do think it shows that it may entirely depend on how they have the system configured. It may have been more lenient before and it may be more strict now.

WOW said that our market will be going all-digital in a few months and they are beginning to prep for that. They said when that happens two DTA's will be free per household. I can only hope that means my personal CC's in my Tivo's will be free too and they won't try to sneak in some "digital outlet fee" again like they've done in the past. I'll just have to wait a few months for all that to settle out though and see what happens.

good luck!
..dane
Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #40
Teeps

Quote:

WOW said that our market will be going all-digital in a few months and they are beginning to prep for that. They said when that happens two DTA's will be free per household.

I can only hope that means my personal CC's in my Tivo's will be free too and they won't try to sneak in some "digital outlet fee" again like they've done in the past.
I have 2 TiVos that use cable cards, 3 cards in total.
TimeWarner charges for all 3 cable cards, though card #1 is discounted.
They also charge for a second outlet.
They also incorporate SDV which requires a tuning adapter for each TiVo; but it is supplied for "no extra" (yea right!) charge.

Do you have FIOS in your area? That could be a better alternative.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 12:29 PM   #41
JimG19

Quote:
Sorry Jim for not responding sooner. I don't come around here too often right now. So many things going on, it's hard to juggle them all.

I think my TivoHD did NOT make me re-run guided setup, since I had already set it up using the digital lineup. The "acquiring channel information" twirly wheel did come up, and after about 10 minutes of it I rebooted the Tivo, as I recall. Long story short, I think I finally decided to just leave it alone, and eventually it popped up a screen that it was downloading a firmware update (which took a while.. 30 minutes?). After that, things worked automagically.
Hi Dane,

Glad you took the time to get back to me. Almost given up. When I first got the card, I put it in and it seemed to stay on the acquiring channels screen, so I just took the unpaired card out at that time. I will try again and see if it can "automagically" happen for me. Would be nice to get guide data on the locals.

Thanks.

Jim
Old 10-02-2013, 08:56 PM   #42
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcbrine View Post
There was a suggestion recently in another thread that a CableCard purchased from eBay worked for mapping, even though it couldn't be authorized or paired, and so couldn't decrypt anything. I can't vouch for this, but it's an intriguing possibility.
Now I can.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 09:30 AM   #43
JimG19

Did not work for me. Got a Motorola card, which is the same as my cable company uses. When I inserted card, it updated to latest software however it stayed stuck on "Acquiring channel information" screen.

Jim
Old 10-22-2013, 06:39 AM   #44
wrkalot

Quote:
WOW said that our market will be going all-digital in a few months and they are beginning to prep for that. They said when that happens two DTA's will be free per household. I can only hope that means my personal CC's in my Tivo's will be free too and they won't try to sneak in some "digital outlet fee" again like they've done in the past. I'll just have to wait a few months for all that to settle out though and see what happens.

good luck!
..dane
Dane,

I suspect you are in FL? I am in Clearwater, FL and the WOW digital transition is starting at the end of the month. After doing a channel scan yesterday we now get about 15 channels labeled 0-0, with no guide data. Like you we have the Expanded Basic line up that is provided through a "bulk" account through our condo association.

I am very curious to find out if they are going to charge for the CC we will need for our TiVoHD. The did send the 2 DTA's but they are really any good to us.
wrkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2013, 06:20 AM   #45
wrkalot

@audiodane Were you able to get the CC for free?
wrkalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #46
teasip

So for those of us with FiOS, the general consensus that a single Motorola M card, acquired off eBay, and non-activated, will allow for installation into a TiVoHD and channel mapping of QAM channels, correct?