TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 06-09-2013, 10:25 PM   #1
overFEDEXed

Strange V58 error problem

Yesterday I turned in one of my three Cox Cablecards. I sold the unit and no longer needed it so...a big $2 a month savings.

Anyway, today my Elite started giving me the "Channel not authorized, V58" message, along with a black screen. A reboot fixed the problem, but only for a couple of hours.

I called the 800 number for Cox cablecard activation. I explained to the rep my problem and told him that I had just turned in a CC, the day before. I asked him was it just a coincidence.
He said "I see the problem. The card that you turned in was the number one card of the three". I think that he called it a Lead card. He switched the number three card to number one and it fixed the error instantly.

I have never run into this problem before and I thought that I would pass it on. Honestly, I thought that he just sent a "Hit" to the card, but he said no, he didn't.
overFEDEXed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Teeps

Had a v58 error today; no SDV channels.
I did the following:
Rebooted tuning adapter both soft & hard.
Removed and reinserted the cable card.
Restarted TiVo, via menu selection.

Called Time Warner.
They had me:
Reboot tuning adapter:
disconnected power and usb cable.
restored power.
Sent a "Hit" to tuning adapter.
connected usb cable.

Viola! SDV channels restored.
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had something weird happen last night. I was watching Dexter and about 1/2 way through I got horrible pixelation and couldn't watch the show. I figured it was a bad capture so I setup a later recording of the same episode. However I wanted to make sure I wasn't having signal problems so I went to live TV where I discovered I couldn't tuner any channels and got the V58 error. I tried rebooting the TA but it didn't help. So finally I just pulled the plug on the TiVo itself. When it rebooted not only were all the channels working again but the pixelation in Dexter was gone and I was able to watch the rest of the episode without issue. So it seems something was actually so messed up it was causing a problem with playback as well as tuning. Never seen anything like that before.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 11:28 PM   #4
XIBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I had something weird happen last night. I was watching Dexter and about 1/2 way through I got horrible pixelation and couldn't watch the show. I figured it was a bad capture so I setup a later recording of the same episode. However I wanted to make sure I wasn't having signal problems so I went to live TV where I discovered I couldn't tuner any channels and got the V58 error. I tried rebooting the TA but it didn't help. So finally I just pulled the plug on the TiVo itself. When it rebooted not only were all the channels working again but the pixelation in Dexter was gone and I was able to watch the rest of the episode without issue. So it seems something was actually so messed up it was causing a problem with playback as well as tuning. Never seen anything like that before.
I have had the same thing happen to me with a XL4 several times. I do a soft reboot under the help menu to keep from cutting power from the hardware and it always fixes the problem which makes me believe it is software as the hardware is not powered down.... Also see loosing all channels thread...
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 01:21 AM   #5
moyekj

Quote:
Yes, welcome to losing all tuners world brought to you almost exclusively by the TiVo Elite and the "wonderful" Maxlinear tuners. You're a little late to the party though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:25 AM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

I had someing similar happen once a lo time ago, but I didn't really attempt to trouble shoot it, I just immediately pulled the plug without much thought. That time I lost an entire nigs recordings. This time it seemed to record everything they just didn't play right until after the reboot.

2 times in about as many years isn't that bad.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:05 PM   #7
cosmo4u
c

Just got Time Warner and put my cable in card. Do I need a tuning adapter or is it optional for my ppv channels and such. Case ive tried getting my channel lineup updated to TW from cablevision and its just not working. Its stuck on Loading info screen (preparing to load). Been this way for hours now

p.s. im also seeing the v58 errors on channels

Last edited by cosmo4u : 08-06-2013 at 04:13 PM.
cosmo4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #8
Dan203
Super Moderator

Tuning Adapter is required by Time Warner.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:46 PM   #9
cosmo4u
c

Quote:
Tuning Adapter is required by Time Warner.
that would have been awesome if the installer had set that up.

edit got off the phone with the cable card support. they stated I do not need a tuning adapter for the m-card to work and they are correct I now have my regular and HD channels up and running. But she did say that alot of regular channels will not work with out the TA. and I am finding that out as well. Will grab a TA tomorrow morning and do the setup again.

Should I just split the cable from the TA to the tivo? Or is there an easier more efficient way?

Last edited by cosmo4u : 08-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Did they at least give you one? If so they're not that hard to install yourself.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:36 PM   #11
cosmo4u
c

Quote:
Did they at least give you one? If so they're not that hard to install yourself.
They did not, that why i was asking in my last post if I should split the cable from the TA to the tivo or set it up a different way
Old 08-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #12
Dan203
Super Moderator

Depends on the brand. The Motorola ones are known for having really crappy pass-through ports so they'll typically recommend you split the cable. I think the Cisco ones have an OK pass-through port so you can use that by running cable from wall to TA, then a short cable from TS to TiVo. With both setups you still need a USB cable going from the TA to the TiVo. (some people assume that when using the pass-through port the TiVo can talk to the TA via coax, it can't)
Old 08-07-2013, 07:03 AM   #13
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I have FIOS and a Premiere and a Premiere4 AND a TIVOHD

I turned on my Premiere 4 to watch some HD, after about 4 seconds, V58, reproducible on most channels.

Problem here is it also happens on my Premiere!!!

It only happens on HD channels, the SD channels do not fail. Fios has no analog channels BTW

Now the wierd part. It happens on my TIVOHD!!! Well, no v58 message, but it freezes after 4 seconds.

So this cannot be a tivo problem, the Tivohd hasnt changed in 3 years

Iguess a call to Fios tonight is in order. I just know they are going to make me jump through hoops that cannot possibly be related to all 3 exhibiting the same symptoms. Sigh.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
Teeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
So this cannot be a tivo problem, the Tivohd hasnt changed in 3 years

Iguess a call to Fios tonight is in order. I just know they are going to make me jump through hoops that cannot possibly be related to all 3 exhibiting the same symptoms. Sigh.
If you can check the coax cable connections at the fios box.
That's where "they" should start...
Teeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #15
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teeps View Post
If you can check the coax cable connections at the fios box.
That's where "they" should start...
I've checked them
I've run signal strength on the offending channels on each Tivo(well 5-6 of them). All show normal
Of course, my real cable box does not exhibit any of this.
I had their system rehit each box
I've reset the ONT terminal (Power failed it with battery unconnected)
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 01:13 PM   #16
TLTypeS

Philhu,

I got this error on Verizon FIOS this AM on my Premiere, too. However, my problem was on a SD channel, 101. My HD channels seemed to be fine. Weird.
TLTypeS is offline   Reply With Quote