TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-04-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
Turtle

Mirroring fee for second receiver

Is it still $5.00

turtle
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #2
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
$6 now
Old 08-07-2013, 08:46 AM   #3
DrSmith

Actually my bill changed from DVR fee $5.00 to "Additional TV $6.00". Not sure what this means except DirecTV can claim they did not raise rates. They eliminated a fee (yay!) and created a new fee (boo!). Guess I've been a customer too long because when I signed up for DTV one of the features was no additional charges for additional TVs.
DrSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 AM   #4
joed32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
Actually my bill changed from DVR fee $5.00 to "Additional TV $6.00". Not sure what this means except DirecTV can claim they did not raise rates. They eliminated a fee (yay!) and created a new fee (boo!). Guess I've been a customer too long because when I signed up for DTV one of the features was no additional charges for additional TVs.
I've been with them since the 90s and they have always charged for extra receivers, but only one DVR fee per household.
joed32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
DrSmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by joed32 View Post
they have always charged for extra receivers
Correct, but that's not what my bill now says. I'm paying a fee for "Additional TV". Subtle, but significant difference. I routinely hang 2 or 3 TVs off of a single receiver.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSmith View Post
Correct, but that's not what my bill now says. I'm paying a fee for "Additional TV". Subtle, but significant difference. I routinely hang 2 or 3 TVs off of a single receiver.
...in which case, you'l only pay for one "additional TV".
Old 08-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #7
DrSmith

Technically no. We currently don't incur the Additional TV charge until we have a 2nd receiver, regardless of how many TVs are attached to any one receiver. So the old rules are still in effect, but the labels have changed.

So are they now calling the same fee "Additional TV" for marketing purposes (didn't raise rates) or for future billing plans?
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM   #8
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

That's what I meant.

Additional TV makes more sense than Additional Receiver. Well, it's easier to explain to the average (or below average) customer!
Old 08-07-2013, 01:10 PM   #9
DrSmith

Doh! It's probably because of the DirecTV Genie product. I should have recognized this on my first post. Genie HD DVR allows one receiver to do all the work. But that's a loss of revenue to DTV, charging for only one receiver now. Thus "Additional TV" charge keeps the revenue intact for customers that only have one receiver, but several DLNA devices.

Any Genie users reading this post that can confirm or deny?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
TonyTheTiger
Pro Troll Magnet

You can't view Genie programming without a D* client, be it a receiver, DVR or client.

I have an HR34 Genie and an HR22 DVR and can stream between the two with a total of seven tuners. I could have the basic client, which doesn't have a tuner or recording capabilities and my bill would be exactly the same. I can't do Whole Home without at least one other D* device.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:25 PM   #11
DrSmith

But if you had the simplest of Genie configs, for example one Genie HR34 and 2 DLNA enabled TVs attached would you pay the Additional TV $6?

I have an ancient Hughes HDVR2 with 3 TVs attached (yes, actual wires) and I do not pay an "Additional TV" charge for this configuration.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 PM   #12
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
In my case I have one TV and two DVRs and pay the "additional TV" fee. Silly name.

I am pretty sure that a generic DLNA client can play recordings from the Genie.