TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #31
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by XIBM View Post
On Demand requires this network traffic...
Yes, but on Demand has a far lower utilization than this would, where essentially everything is on demand.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
XIBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
Yes, but on Demand has a far lower utilization than this would, where essentially everything is on demand.
What about Netflix, Amazon, Hulla, etc.
XIBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #33
lpwcomp

Quote:
What about Netflix, Amazon, Hulla, etc.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:39 AM   #34
Pacomartin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
I'd surmise that rather than actually recording ten shows and storing them for you online it's actually just putting the shows in a VOD queue and allowing you to access them at your leisure.
Absolutely not. Such a system would be technically simpler, but is illegal.

Cablevision won the court case in 2008 because they could show that all of the logical steps using the DVR service were the same as using a home VCR. That way they were covered under the Jan 17 1984 Supreme Court ruling that saved The VCR From Certain Death.

Aereo would have never proceeded with their business plan without the CableVision ruling. They reasoned that if DVR services were legal than they could add a personal remote antenna under the same legal principal.
Old 12-21-2014, 10:34 AM   #35
Hank
AC•FTW

CableVision is now offering a 15 tuner DVR service,
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:44 AM   #36
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
Is that to compete with Comcast and their 15 tuner X1 system. Three X1 boxes give you fifteen tuners. And Comcast has also been rolling out Cloud Storage for the recordings too.
53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3--32TB unRAID1a
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 11:45 AM   #37
timchi29

Regardless if it can record 10 shows at the same time...get out of the house!!
timchi29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 12:10 PM   #38
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank View Post
More precisely, you can record 15 things simultaneously to your personal storage on their servers. No tuners involved.

Same munificent () 500GB of storage.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:21 PM   #39
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Is that to compete with Comcast and their 15 tuner X1 system. Three X1 boxes give you fifteen tuners. And Comcast has also been rolling out Cloud Storage for the recordings too.
I have no idea.. I just dumped Cablevision for Verizon FIOS.. they tried to use this to keep me to stay "record up to 15 shows at once!!!"... I was like "who in their right mind would ever want to do that???"

Quote:
Originally Posted by timchi29 View Post
Regardless if it can record 10 shows at the same time...get out of the house!!
Yeah, this!!

I think the biggest conflict we've ever had in this house was Sunday night with The Walking Dead and Homeland being on at the same time.. and the TWO TUNER Verizon DVR took care of that no problem. Now we have a Roamio basic with four tuners.. one is taken with the Tivo Mini, but three tuners? I don't see ever using all three at one time. 10 tuners? Get out'a here.
Old 12-21-2014, 01:47 PM   #40
tootal2

there are pcs with 16 tuners and a 8 tb drive

there are pcs with 18 tuners and a 8 tb drive
tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #41
lpwcomp

I have 4 TiVos* with 14 HD tuners and 7.5TB of storage. My THD is connected to both cable and antenna. Plus I can offload to my PC.

* Not counting the Series 2 connected to a cable box.

Old 12-21-2014, 03:16 PM   #42
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
I have 4 TiVos* with 14 HD tuners and 7.5TB of storage. My THD is connected to both cable and antenna. Plus I can offload to my PC.

* Not counting the Series 2 connected to a cable box.
Relevance?
Old 12-21-2014, 04:32 PM   #43
lessd

A discussion about how many programs one home should record at once is a dumb discussion, like saying that paying over $30,000 for a new car is dumb, every family is different, I have 3 Roamios Plus and I guess my home could record 18 things at once, I don't think we ever have, but having 6 tuners has made programing much better as I can add time to say 60 minute and other CBS programs that night when a game in on CBS and not be concerned about any other stuff I may to also record that night, for this each to their own.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:31 PM   #44
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
A discussion about how many programs one home should record at once is a dumb discussion, like saying that paying over $30,000 for a new car is dumb, every family is different, I have 3 Roamios Plus and I guess my home could record 18 things at once, I don't think we ever have, but having 6 tuners has made programing much better as I can add time to say 60 minute and other CBS programs that night when a game in on CBS and not be concerned about any other stuff I may to also record that night, for this each to their own.
Exactly. Everyone's viewing and recording habits are different. While my HTPC technically has access to 17 tuners (nine cablecard and eight ATSC), I rarely record more than 6 or 7 shows simultaneously. Five of the tuners are networked and shared between other HTPCs and used primarily for watching live TV on three separate HDTVs The rest are available for use on my primary HTPC, but I don't think all of them have ever been used simultaneously except once when I experimented to see how many I could record from at the same time. I believe I had up to 13 of them recording while watching another show that had previously been recorded, but that was done with an older configuration of tuners. The additional tuners are mostly there as a safety net in case I ever need a few extra. That's the benefit of using WMC instead of a Tivo. You can add all the tuners you want for only the cost of the hardware.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 06:01 PM   #45
Pacomartin

Quote:
Exactly. Everyone's viewing and recording habits are different.
A gambler/mathematician always said to me it's not the mean that counts, it's the variance.

It's like the guy that buys an electric car that goes 73 miles on a full charge because your average person drives less than 50 miles per day. The variance can make that car owner's life into hell.

I just wasn't aware there was such a big demand out there for people who want to cover their extreme situations. I think the poster who said that the engineers who designed the mega-Tivo should have given more consideration to a 12 tuner model as that feature would be much more valued than 24 terabytes of storage.
Old 12-21-2014, 06:46 PM   #46
gastrof
Look 32' in reverse

Location: We would like the golden glade but for the standing. Velvilio has not the tin. Do not take marmosets that you cannot return to the encapsulation.
Quote:
...I rarely record more than 6 or 7 shows simultaneously...

Old 12-21-2014, 07:10 PM   #47
mr.unnatural

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastrof View Post
LOL. Just so you know, most of the simultaneous recordings are due to overlap and not simultaneous time slots. I pad everything by 10 minutes before and after to ensure I don't miss anything. Three shows airing in the 9-10PM time slot will overlap with three shows airing between 10 and 11PM by 20 minutes, resulting in six simultaneous recordings during that period. I don't think I've ever recorded more than four or five shows airing in the same time time slot between cable and network TV.

For some reason, many of the cable channels like to air their best shows in the same time slot as several of the shows I watch on network TV, resulting in a lot of shows being recorded at the same time. The nice thing is that I no longer have to pick and choose between shows airing at the same time like I used to due to a shortage of available tuners. OTOH, I have found that I usually have to limit my recordings to a maximum number of shows per week or I'll never have the time to watch them all.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2014, 09:56 PM   #48
Bigg

There is no practical use for a 15-tuner DVR, but that's not the point. CableVision and Verizon got into a pissing match, because they were trying to out-do each other without actually competing on price in the relatively affluent (well parts of it anyway) New York City market. CableVision just upped the limit to 10 tuners, which is basically a software parameter on a multicast IP network, in their Cloud DVR service in order to do something that Verizon couldn't that would sound cool in ads, cost CableVision almost nothing, and wasn't actually useful in real life with a wimpy 500GB of storage.

Well, Verizon got sucked into said pissing match, and made the 12-tuner Quantum DVR or whatever it's called. So CableVision, determined not to win the completely pointless DVR tuner pissing match, upped the limit to 15 tuners just to outdo Verizon's 2 6-tuner boxes. In the process, because Comcast competes with FIOS, primarily in Boston, Philly, and DC [metro areas], Comcast got sucked into this ridiculous pissing match, and in order to beat FIOS's 12 tuners, decided to roll out their kludge-on-a-kludge 15-tuner X1 that's made up of 3 X1 boxes.

The whole thing is ridiculous, as they are just trying to avoid actually competing on anything that anyone actually cares about, while being able to advertise that they have "more" than the other guy.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #49
hytekjosh

Quote:
On Demand requires this network traffic...
Depends how on demand and cloud DVR are being delivered: IP versus QAM. I haven't read the specs on some of the major provider's cloud DVR offerings in a while but I'm pretty sure they will not impact one's internet bandwidth.
hytekjosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 07:45 PM   #50
tootal2

I cant find many shows I like on tv anymore. since the history channel has become a reality TV channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
There is no practical use for a 15-tuner DVR, but that's not the point. CableVision and Verizon got into a pissing match, because they were trying to out-do each other without actually competing on price in the relatively affluent (well parts of it anyway) New York City market. CableVision just upped the limit to 10 tuners, which is basically a software parameter on a multicast IP network, in their Cloud DVR service in order to do something that Verizon couldn't that would sound cool in ads, cost CableVision almost nothing, and wasn't actually useful in real life with a wimpy 500GB of storage.

Well, Verizon got sucked into said pissing match, and made the 12-tuner Quantum DVR or whatever it's called. So CableVision, determined not to win the completely pointless DVR tuner pissing match, upped the limit to 15 tuners just to outdo Verizon's 2 6-tuner boxes. In the process, because Comcast competes with FIOS, primarily in Boston, Philly, and DC [metro areas], Comcast got sucked into this ridiculous pissing match, and in order to beat FIOS's 12 tuners, decided to roll out their kludge-on-a-kludge 15-tuner X1 that's made up of 3 X1 boxes.

The whole thing is ridiculous, as they are just trying to avoid actually competing on anything that anyone actually cares about, while being able to advertise that they have "more" than the other guy.

tootal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #51
Hank
AC•FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I cant find many shows I like on tv anymore. since the history channel has become a realityscripted TV channel
FYP

BTW, I totally agree.
Old 12-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #52
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by hytekjosh View Post
Depends how on demand and cloud DVR are being delivered: IP versus QAM. I haven't read the specs on some of the major provider's cloud DVR offerings in a while but I'm pretty sure they will not impact one's internet bandwidth.
They're QAM-based. XoD only uses IP on TiVo, where there is no upstream QAM path available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootal2 View Post
I cant find many shows I like on tv anymore. since the history channel has become a reality TV channel
And Discovery. Both used to be good channels. Now I find that most of the good content is either PBS or HBO, and then there's sports, and everything else I want to watch is either Netflix or Blu-rays.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote