TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 05-07-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
cmshep222

Wireless HDMI, anyone tried it?

For a porch (w/in about 30ft of my XL4), I'm looking to use this Actiontec wireless HDMI device. This should enable my porch TV to watch whatever is on the XL4.

Anyone tried this?

ACTIONTEC WIRELESS HDMI

Last edited by cmshep222 : 05-07-2013 at 06:40 PM.
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 11:17 AM   #2
Beryl

Looks slick.

I use a Slingbox and a iMito with Slingplayer in my patio room to accomplish the same thing. I'm guessing that the picture quality is better using that receiver though.
Beryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 02:27 PM   #3
Philmatic

Embedding your Amazon referral code is not cool.
Philmatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
cmshep222

My bad, I didn't know that was against the rules. I truly did order it, and if anyone else happened to buy it...why not get the referral.

I had no bad intent, so I'll remove it.
cmshep222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:02 PM   #5
UCLABB

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmshep222 View Post
For a porch (w/in about 30ft of my XL4), I'm looking to use this Actiontec wireless HDMI device. This should enable my porch TV to watch whatever is on the XL4.

Anyone tried this?

ACTIONTEC WIRELESS HDMI
Could this be used in lieu of a TiVo Mini? Yes, you couldn't watch separate programs on the main TiVo and Mini, but this might be ideal for bedroom use when you retire for the night.
UCLABB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 12:50 PM   #6
bshrock

Kool should work. Cmshep222 can you PM me your referral code.
Thanks.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:01 PM   #7
Dan203
Super Moderator

I have a similar device made by Briteview. I used it to transmit video from one room to another about 15' away through one wall. The connection was hit or miss. Once I got it working it usually worked fine, but it usually took a few attempts to get it connected every time I turned it on. Once TiVo started allowing streaming I removed it and put a Premiere unit in that room instead. Much more convenient.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #8
WestTx

I'm using the Nyrius ARIES NAVS500 for sending the Tivo signal across a room (about 20 feet) and it has worked great. I understand though, that others have varying degrees of success going longer distances and/or through walls.
dead Tivo Series 2 w/Lifetime
WestTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 09:05 AM   #9
jcthorne

I also used a Briteview unit and while it mostly worked, the number of reboots and fiddeling with it to establish a connection was always less than satisfactory. Finally replaced it with a Premiere and stream nearly everything from the main unit over a MOCA connection. Works MUCH better.

Mine is now collecting dust in the closet with the other useless gadgets I have bought over the years.

Setup help for pytivo under windows:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jcthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
I also used a Briteview unit and while it mostly worked, the number of reboots and fiddeling with it to establish a connection was always less than satisfactory. Finally replaced it with a Premiere and stream nearly everything from the main unit over a MOCA connection. Works MUCH better.

Mine is now collecting dust in the closet with the other useless gadgets I have bought over the years.
That's exactly my experience.

Only reason I'm holding on to it is because I'd like to get a projector some day and I think it'll work OK for beaming the signal across the room to a projector.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #11
SNJpage1

Unless there are things preventing it, for about $50 you could just hard wire it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #12
JStanton617

I have two, one upstairs and one downstairs in my house, both connected to TiVo Premiers.

The downstairs one (about 30 feet away from the TV), from IO gear: w w w. iogear. com/product/GW3DHDKIT/ works great. Never any problems.

The upstairs one (about 5 feet away from the TV), from Actiontec (via Best Buy): w w w. actiontec. com/ products/product.php?pid=219#.UY0M3ytASHs is a POS. Needs rebooting (unplug - replug) 2-3 times a week. sometimes just the box connected to the TV, sometimes also the transmitter. Stay away.
JStanton617 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #13
Bigg

I have one from IOGEAR. It's basically in the same room as the rest of the stuff, just around the corner in the kitchen. I'm getting rid of it soon, but it's OK. The picture and sound is good, but the amount of time it takes to get the HDMI locked is kind of ridiculous. These things really are a kludge, and now that I'm moving, I'll have no use for it, and I'm going to move to a TiVo Mini/ Slingbox system.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:28 AM   #14
lrhorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
That's exactly my experience.

Only reason I'm holding on to it is because I'd like to get a projector some day and I think it'll work OK for beaming the signal across the room to a projector.
You might consider the projector I have. It is an Optoma HD81. It's no longer being manufactured, but they are still available new, I believe. One of the nice features is the projector itself is separate from the input / control / switch unit. All that goes to the projector is a power cable, an RS-232 serial cable, and an HDMI cable. The control unit can be across the room, next to the AVR and other gear.
lrhorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #15
janry

Has anyone else had experience with this device?

I have just set up a bunker "Man cave" in my basement that is directly below where I have my TiVo HD. The actual distance between the new TV and the TiVo HD is only about 15' but there is an 8" concrete floor between them.

It is my understanding the Aciontec device is wireless n. To test the signal this device might have, I have put my wireless n router in the bunker and my computer with a wireless n adapter in the room on the other side of the concrete floor. I'm getting an excellent signal and am streaming a 720p video with no problem so I'm tempted to try the Actiontec device.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #16
Bigg

It's not wifi. It's some proprietary wireless link.
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:13 PM   #17
janry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigg View Post
It's not wifi. It's some proprietary wireless link.
It doesn't use the home's wireless network but per Actiontec's website, it uses "Wireless 802.11n 5GHz (WiFi)" in it's own hardware. So, my test using my home network was just to see how well my 802.11n 5GHz would do with the concrete floor.
Old 08-01-2013, 10:34 PM   #18
janry

I decided on the IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT Wireless 3D Digital Kit. I got it from Costco for $180. Took about 10 minutes to setup. Watched a full length movie and I couldn't be happier (Knock on wood). I could not tell any difference than if the TiVo was connected directly to the TV.
Old 08-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #19
gtaylor

I'm also very happy with the Costco IOGEAR GW3DHDKIT, as I posted here back in June.

gary
gtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:07 AM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

I never had any trouble with the quality of the one I have, it looks great. It was just a bit unreliable getting it to work. Once they synced up it would work for hours without trouble, but if I can back to watch a few days later I'd usually have to fiddle with it to get it to resync. Was kind of a PITA.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:31 AM   #21
janry

I hope I don't have that issue with the IOGEAR but I'll admit, one of the requirements I had was that whatever I bought be easy to return.

My biggest concern, however, was would I get a good signal through the 8" concrete floor. So far, so good for that issue. Unless the signal weakens over time or I acquire some other device that interferes with it, I think I'm good to go.

I'll report back periodically with any issues I have with the IOGEAR.

EDIT TO ADD: One minor issue I've observed is once I start a TiVo video at the remote location, the audio doesn't start for one or two seconds after the video. They are in sync once both are going, just have to hit the 8 second back button to get the audio where I start.

Last edited by janry : 08-02-2013 at 06:00 PM.
Old 11-19-2014, 08:03 PM   #22
Frank R

Io gear problem

I installed an io gear GW3DHDKIT and I'm receiving the TiVo message that it is not compatible with HDCP digital rights management standards. Others seem to get this device to work, any way to get around this?
Frank R is offline   Reply With Quote