TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2013, 11:31 PM   #91
RonDawg

I was wondering if the ending was going to be the "Battle of the Second Place Finishers" with Chris and Gunny doing pretty well. But then I realized that Gary finished #3 in his season (Mike Hughes was second) and the highest-scoring Season 4 contestant still remaining is William (with Greg, Kyle and Chee already being eliminated).

I earlier had my predictions of Kelly going to the last episode or two. But with him gone, my predictions are now:

Spoiler:
Chris, Gunny, and Gary, with Chris being the most consistent of them all. His first (and so far, only) performance at the Proving Ground was definitely an anomaly.

RonDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:14 AM   #92
sieglinde

It seems that people, both his fellow shooters and the audience, did not like Kelly. I think his loss will improve the show and the house
Old 07-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #93
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
It seems that people, both his fellow shooters and the audience, did not like Kelly. I think his loss will improve the show and the house
The other competitors didn't like him because they were intimidated. Can't imagine the audience not liking him. I LOVED watching him perform.

Granted, I don't watch the house stuff much.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 03:16 PM   #94
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Ya, I'm kind of missing where the audience not liking him is coming from.

As for the house, I've heard comments about him being more of a loner and such, but I didn't get the impression he was doing things to alienate others in the house. Not like some in past seasons that were in people's faces, etc.

Just
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:40 PM   #95
RonDawg

I agree. Even in Season 1, where his conflicts with Bill, and later Adam, were well featured, I couldn't see why those two had a problem with Kelly. Bill and Kelly have since buried the hatchet (Bill invited Kelly over on his radio show after the season concluded) and from what Adam said about him at the end of the elimination challenge, it seems like he's buried it as well.

I think the loner part, the fact that's he's so much younger than most of them, and perhaps the lack of commonality outside of firearms (no prior military and/or law enforcement like most of them are) might have fueled the dislike. But he wasn't the troublemaker like George or especially Jake was. And yet George has his defenders (not so much Jake).
Old 08-01-2013, 08:47 PM   #96
RonDawg

I really enjoyed this week's main challenge. Just when you thought one pair were going to be just fine (Chris and Phil) and another were going to choke completely (William and Adam), they both surprise you.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #97
snowjay
40mph couch potato

I dunno, Kelly rubs me the wrong way. Sure he's a good competitor but something about his "lonerness" just gets to me. It seems like he didn't even try to fit in. With all the other life experience in that house if I was his age I'd be trying to tap into that and expand my horizons.
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #98
sieglinde

I agree. He didn't try being just friendly. Though he was not a troublemaker.
Old 08-04-2013, 10:32 AM   #99
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowjay View Post
It seems like he didn't even try to fit in. With all the other life experience in that house if I was his age I'd be trying to tap into that and expand my horizons.
Quote:
I agree. He didn't try being just friendly. Though he was not a troublemaker.
If I'm not mistaken, there was basically just the one shot of him sitting reading a book with one of the other guy's in voice over talking about him being a loner, etc.

He could have been the nicest guy and gotten along just fine with everybody, but if that's all the producers decided to show, to support a fabricated 'tension' in the house, I just can't jump to some of the conclusions about him not trying to fit in, etc.

He's basically a different generation, and when everybody is sitting around telling stories, sharing experiences, etc., it's natural that he'd be a fish out of water. He could be soaking in all kinds of knowledge, but at some point he'd be more like a fly on the wall and it's natural that he'd seem distant.

I just don't buy that he's universally disliked or anything like how the producers may have been trying to portray him. But in the end, that's just my opinion. :shrug:
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 11:00 AM   #100
sieglinde

His personality did not really play a role in this season. I hope future seasons with new shooters also don't play up personalities. Getting rid of teams and nomination rounds helped greatly.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:59 PM   #101
RonDawg

Gunny really saved himself during Elimination. I didn't think he was going to get the perfect score necessary to win, given how poorly he did during the Proving Ground.

The smoke from the main challenge was annoying. I know the explosions look great for the sake of TV, but as we could see from the POV-cam it made it really hard to see the targets near the top of the circle.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 AM   #102
sieglinde

Gunny was amazing. The zip line looked very stable so his planning and focus could come into play
Old 08-18-2013, 08:15 PM   #103
RonDawg

BTW after he threw that shot at Proving Ground, what did Chris ask him that caused Gunny to say "At Colby's feet"? I've tried replaying the scene several times but Chris' voice was too low and muffled for the microphones to pick up clearly.

(I'm guessing Chris asked "So where did the shot go?" and Gunny's response was that his aim was so far off it might as well have hit Colby's feet. But that's just a guess.)
Old 08-18-2013, 10:03 PM   #104
Unbeliever
Random Nobody

In essence, you guessed correctly.

--Carlos V.
Unbeliever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:39 PM   #105
pmyers

Quote:
Gunny was amazing. The zip line looked very stable so his planning and focus could come into play
I have to say that I was disappointed in both the stability and the speed of that zipline. There was about zero movement and it was way too slow. I was expecting more "drama" from the zip line.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 02:47 PM   #106
Ment

Yeah I wanted the zip to go faster, they could line up and aim pretty easily in this one.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 08:09 PM   #107
snowjay
40mph couch potato

They should be hanging upside down from the zip line while spinning in a circle!
snowjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 04:06 PM   #108
gschrock

I've got to agree, I actually thought the challenge seemed a bit easy. There seemed to be plenty of time to line up on the targets as the zipline moved. Maybe if it'd been at least 50% faster there'd have been some, but I'm actually surprised the one guy missed a target.
gschrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #109
Ment

how about starting from the bottom and going up, they'd have choose whether to stay with a target they missed or try and hit the one closest to them.
Ment is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:41 AM   #110
pmyers

I would have preferred they gone down a regular zipline. The ones where your butt is just basically in a sling and your feet are dangling. That "slide" they had them in just gave way too much stability, especially with their feet and legs being supported.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:17 AM   #111
RonDawg

Awesome season finale. Phil was not one of my predictions to even make it to the final episode, much less win the season. He finished #6 in his season, and yet he pulled ahead of two #2's (Chris and Gunny) and a #3 (Gary). Technically, he also beat another #2 (Greg) as well, though that happened on the first episode. He absolutely smoked the first two competitions, and while he almost lost his initial lead on Chris after initially smoking the third compeition, took advantage of Chris' difficulties with the crossbow to win it.

I do hope that not only does the series continue, but that they continue to adopt the "proving ground" method of going to elimination, rather than being "nominated." Colby, when he sat down with the final contestants at the house, was really impressed with the level of sportsmanship, as was I. Hopefully he can convince the producers at Pilgrim TV to continue with the revised format.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:11 AM   #112
ClutchBrake
Pass the gravy!

Fantastic finale. I had been rooting for Chris and Gary since the beginning but I have to admit by the end I found myself rooting for Phil. That was easily the best season yet and I hope we get more in a similar format. The sportsmanship among these guys truly made it a pleasure to watch.

Bachelorhood: Life, liberty, and the happiness of pursuit.

Xbox Live: ClutchBrake
ClutchBrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:43 AM   #113
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

Phil won a couple of those final contests with his feet. That guy can sprint.

meh
heySkippy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #114
Donbadabon
Geocacher

I hope they keep the method of elimination (no voting each other out, all based on performance) in the next season. It works so much better than the tribal votes.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:47 PM   #115
RonDawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
Phil won a couple of those final contests with his feet. That guy can sprint.
Yup. Chris even acknowledged this when he said Phil made him "feel old" for the first time.
Old 09-01-2013, 10:05 AM   #116
Odds Bodkins
Doug's Dad

Season was fantastic and every contestant seemed honored to be there, ergo, no manufactured drama. I agree that the Proving Ground has to stay.
Odds Bodkins is offline   Reply With Quote