Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 08-01-2013, 04:55 PM   #31
gl9500

still no go

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl9500 View Post
I did try rescanning and the tivo did not find them, and at varying channel locations (even tho i know the signals are good and strong).

I was hoping to avoid merging the signals onto the cable input side, in part because i don't have filters to make sure the signal does not go back outside my house.

Thanks
I finally got around to testing if I could feed my "analog security camera" channels (via RF modulator) as a cable channel (instead of OTA UHF), and it didn't work. I suspect it's the same "bug" and/or that I use a cablecard.

I guess I don't really understand how RF modulation works, because I tried to search the web for a DIGITAL modulator, but couldn't find one (or find one that wasn't really, really expensive)
gl9500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:03 PM   #32
Dan203
Super Moderator

AFAIK there is no such thing as a consumer grade QAM or ATSC modulator. There are a few "low cost" options in the professional space that some of the guys on AVSForum use for whole house distribution, but they're like $3-5K so probably not what you're looking for.

You might be better off finding a cheap S2DT TiVo with lifetime and using that instead for the security cameras.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #33
gl9500

Thanks Dan... yeah, $3-5K is just a wee bit too costly :-)

FWIW, I already do use a S1Tivo (with lifetime) for one of the security cameras, but then I take the channel 4 output from that into my Premier (which has a slingbox), yada yada...
Old 08-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #34
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I bought a security camera DVR on woot.com that lets you record from 8 cameras at the same time (and included the 8 cameras) for like $150.
Slingbox M1

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 08:23 PM   #35
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by gl9500 View Post
I finally got around to testing if I could feed my "analog security camera" channels (via RF modulator) as a cable channel (instead of OTA UHF), and it didn't work. I suspect it's the same "bug" and/or that I use a cablecard.
The latter. You can't scan for cable channels if you have a CableCARD installed.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2013, 11:31 AM   #36
gl9500

FWIW, just for grins, I tried this again...
still does not work under the Fall 2013 update.
sucks that Tivo would just take away previous functionality
(and one of the reasons I bought this particular model)
Old 11-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #37
unitron

The TiVo should tune NTSC signals on the cable tuner, 'cause that's what analog cable is, the same thing as over the air used to be (except for the carrier frequencies of some of the channels).

Of course if you're trying to use it for TV watching as well as camera recording that probably doesn't help you.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #38
Bigg

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
The TiVo should tune NTSC signals on the cable tuner, 'cause that's what analog cable is, the same thing as over the air used to be (except for the carrier frequencies of some of the channels).

Of course if you're trying to use it for TV watching as well as camera recording that probably doesn't help you.
Not all of them are lined up the same way. For the OP, it should be set up as cable, as that's what would be RF modulated. Who is watching analog anymore anyways? It must look horrible. If I had some back-asswards station that wasn't broadcasting HD by the early- to mid-2000's, I'd sure as heck have gotten DirecTV a long, long time ago!
Parents: XFinity Motorola AnyRoom DVR
80 HR Series 2 Lifetime 4/11/04 DEAD as of 11/2010
Bigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 01:28 PM   #39
JosephB

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post

The problem is, if you have a CableCard the channel map from the card overrides analog channel scanning. For example, my system has digital simulcast of all of the analog channels, so if I hit channel 2 on my TiVos with a CableCard, I get the digital equivalent of channel 2, not the actual analog signal.

Former: S1, S2 TiVos, UltimateTV, SD DirecTiVo (x3), SA 8300HD w/Passport Echo, DirecTV HR-24 (x2) , DISH 722k, DirecTV Genie + 2 mini
JosephB is offline   Reply With Quote