Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2013, 09:26 AM   #121
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyj View Post
Some people have argued right on this board that Catholics are not Christians. Even within Christianity, you can find the "I am right and you are an ignorant heathen" attitude.
I equate Christian = believe in Christ. I guess it's the same in all religions. Usually the religious fringes are the ones who go there. I am sure Shia and Sunni don't believe that the others are true Muslims, and I know that certain Orthodox Jewish sects would never consider me Jewish.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #122
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post

Considering China is a Communist country that discourages religion, maybe Chinese aren't considered Bhuddists?

As for Hindu, while there are a lot of Hindus, I don't think it compares to Christianity when you consider the vast majority of people in Europe, N. America, S. America and a good part of Africa are Christians. Even though India has a LOT of Hindus, around the world, it's not nearly as big.
China doesn't really discourage religion (anymore), but they don't promote it like is done in the U.S. and other countries. China does have Bhuddist temples (more spiritual than religious), Churches and even Synagogues, it's just that most Chinese aren't anything. Because of the culture there, there's no stigma against being non-religious.

India was formerly part of the British empire so there are actually a large number of Christians there.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #123
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
I equate Christian = believe in Christ. I guess it's the same in all religions. Usually the religious fringes are the ones who go there. I am sure Shia and Sunni don't believe that the others are true Muslims, and I know that certain Orthodox Jewish sects would never consider me Jewish.
I'm just joking here, but that makes Moslems into Christians (since Moslems believe in Christ!). I know what you mean, though. I was raised in a Catholic school and I can assure you they were Christians

The difference between Shia and Sunni is not religious (the Koran is the Koran. there are no arguments there). The difference stemmed from an argument about who should take over once Mohamed died. So it was more a political divide about who should lead (or had led) Moslems.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #124
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ereth View Post
Watch the interview. He accepts every word. A non-Christian would have challenged some of the parts of the story that Reza Azlan was offering. For instance, there's actually no historical evidence that Jesus existed at all. None.
That's what I thought, but he mentioned (IIRC) "Roman records" or "Roman documents", something like that. I haven't yet done more research (yeah, googling and such!) to figure out if that's BS or not.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #125
Hunter Green
Curmudgeon

Is this a Big Bang Theory thread?
Old 07-25-2013, 09:18 AM   #126
zalusky

John sure gave it to the Wiener last night or should I say he HANDED it to the wiener!

Last edited by zalusky : 07-25-2013 at 10:43 AM.
zalusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:45 AM   #127
Adam1115
20,000!!!

Quote:

I think you have a different definition than I do and you are trying to be clever or something. I don't get what you are trying to say. If you have some point you are trying to make, please make it, and quit trying to get there obliquely..
Being a Christian has nothing to do with what school you attended or how you were raised. Plenty of athirst were raised Christians. Irrelevant. If you accept Jesus as your lord and savior, you're a Christian. If you don't, you aren't. As you pointed out, he said he doesn't have a relationship with Jesus., that would mean he isn't. No doubt he seems to be educated on Christianity, and doesn't seem to have the hostility towards Christianity that you seem to think all non-Christians have. That means nothing.

He might be a Christian, he might not be. I have no idea, I tend to guess that he isn't one, but I wouldn't just assume that he is because he went to a certain school....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Adam1115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:49 AM   #128
sharkster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Green View Post
Is this a Big Bang Theory thread?
LMAO - I was just thinking that. This one definitely took a turn. I'm non-religious, so I'll just back out now.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:59 AM   #129
getreal
postcrastinator

Where is The Daily Show thread?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #130
Ereth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam1115 View Post
Being a Christian has nothing to do with what school you attended or how you were raised. Plenty of athirst were raised Christians. Irrelevant. If you accept Jesus as your lord and savior, you're a Christian. If you don't, you aren't. As you pointed out, he said he doesn't have a relationship with Jesus., that would mean he isn't. No doubt he seems to be educated on Christianity, and doesn't seem to have the hostility towards Christianity that you seem to think all non-Christians have. That means nothing.

He might be a Christian, he might not be. I have no idea, I tend to guess that he isn't one, but I wouldn't just assume that he is because he went to a certain school....
Non-Christians don't tend to go to leading Christian schools. Having Christianity forced down your throat is annoying to non-Christians.

He said he didn't have "much" of a relationship with Jesus Christ. I have no relationship with Jesus Christ. No more than I have with Captain Crunch, anyway.

I'm going to guess that you ARE a Christian. You really see this as an important point. To most people, it was clear he was Christian or Christian-leaning just from the way he acted in his conversation. Not even worth a conversation over, really, he just came across as a Christian. Certainly not an athiest, or a jew or a hindu or muslim or buddhist. But to you, it's important enough to split hairs over, while almost nobody else cares.

If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, it's probably a duck. John acted like a Christian in that interview

Which led to my mild musing about how different an interview with a man who wrote a book about what he thinks the life of Jesus the man might have been, would be with someone who did not have the same background, and who had been forced to live in the shadow of Christians their entire life. I still think that's an interesting thought. I note that you haven't commented on it at all, only interested in attacking whether Oliver is Christian or not. You have some personal issue here that I don't understand. Even if Oliver isn't a Christian by your standards, he gave the interview like a Christian, which is the only thing that really matters in this context.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Ereth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 PM   #131
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
Where is The Daily Show thread?
i was wondering the same.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:13 PM   #132
Ereth

I thought last nights episode was one of the best ever, excluding the interview. The interviewee was like a dead fish and Jon basically had to do both sides of the interview. He kept trying to draw him out, but it was painful.

Please do not "Fixed Your Post" on my posts. I find that rude and annoying. Thank you for your consideration.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:55 PM   #133
rorrim
Runs with Scissors

Quote:
I thought last nights episode was one of the best ever, excluding the interview. The interviewee was like a dead fish and Jon basically had to do both sides of the interview. He kept trying to draw him out, but it was painful.
Yeah, the show was great. But Bob Bradley did as well as an interviewee as he did as the coach of the US Men's soccer team. That means, for those of you who do not follow soccer, not so well.
rorrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:48 PM   #134
mrizzo80

Big Jon Stewart fan, but John Oliver has done an outstanding job. The show has more energy to it and the pace seems a bit quicker too.

I think he has proved he can host his own show in the future (if Comedy Central can find a good concept/spot for him). Yes, I realize he is benefiting from TDS talented writers.

Does anyone know if any of the correspondents also double as show writers? Or are they fully dedicated to just their own segments?
mrizzo80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #135
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrizzo80 View Post
I think he has proved he can host his own show in the future (if Comedy Central can find a good concept/spot for him).
They can call it Oliver's Twist

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:03 PM   #136
secondclaw

I believe Brian Williams, who was on TDS one of the last episodes before Jon left, asked him about this 'Oliver Twist' guy coming in to replace him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
They can call it Oliver's Twist
I do agree that John is doing a fantastic job. He was lucky having the British monarchy in the news at the time - as his unique perspective was quiet different from what Jon would have presented (and I bet JO would have been the senior royalty correspondent in a green-screen of London at the time).

He does seem a bit less restrained, with more 'colorful' delivery (ahh ... Weiner ), and even laughs at his own jokes, but I like that about him, and what the show has become. I think I'll miss him. as much as I like Jon.
secondclaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:12 PM   #137
capriz

I've been liking John Oliver's hosting quite a lot. For those that may not know - John co-hosts a weekly podcast called The Bugle that is consistently hilarious.
capriz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:50 PM   #138
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
Does anyone know if any of the correspondents also double as show writers? Or are they fully dedicated to just their own segments?
Yes, the correspondents also write general stuff for the show.
Old 07-29-2013, 03:58 PM   #139
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Big Jon Stewart fan, but John Oliver has done an outstanding job.

I've been watching the show a lot more since JO has been hosting.
waynomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #140
Ereth

I had thought that Jon Stewart had mentioned that John Oliver was the head writer for the Daily Show to begin with, back when Brian Williams was on and complaining that Stewart couldn't leave.

I may be misremembering, I suppose.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:35 PM   #141
trainman
Nice to see you

Quote:
I had thought that Jon Stewart had mentioned that John Oliver was the head writer for the Daily Show to begin with, back when Brian Williams was on and complaining that Stewart couldn't leave.

I may be misremembering, I suppose.
The head writer is Tim Carvell.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:28 PM   #142
logic88

Yesterday's interview with Gillebrand was interesting. His initial question about Gillebrand's ties to Wall Street was a zinger but it's a shame that he let her off the hook by not following up.

(Or maybe he did in the extended segment but I didn't "go to the web".)
logic88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #143
Ereth

She did the politician dance around that question very nicely, didn't she?

It's a comedy show, but it was a tiny bit sad that we didn't go farther there.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:08 PM   #144
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but I always find it interesting that some of the interviews spill over to the web and some don't. Do you think the guests who don't spill over are offended that their discussion was not deemed worthy enough to continue?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #145
secondclaw

This may be the difference between Jon and John ... JS may have pushed this topic a bit more.

Quote:
She did the politician dance around that question very nicely, didn't she?

It's a comedy show, but it was a tiny bit sad that we didn't go farther there.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #146
madscientist
Deregistered Snoozer

It seems like most of the actors / comedians / celebs don't go to the web, and most of the politicians / authors do go to the web.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:39 PM   #147
ElJay

Actors and celebs don't usually have much to talk about other than "go see my latest movie that I am currently contractually obligated to promote."
ElJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #148
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondclaw View Post
This may be the difference between Jon and John ... JS may have pushed this topic a bit more.
I was thinking the same thing. She did the political dance around the question and he really let her go.

One of our local sports guys on the radio here once made a point about asking tough questions. He said sometimes you can't push too hard because you want people to come on the show. If you get a reputation of always asking questions the interviewee doesn't want to answer, you'll never get guests. And he was right. For about a year, he couldn't get any guests on from the Jets because he called them out about something (of course it didn't help that the other sports station is the Jets flagship...but they still used to get guests on his show). So it's a fine line. I think Oliver was probably fine not pushing it, simply because his show is a comedy show and not Bill O'Reilly or Chris Matthews.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:15 PM   #149
logic88

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing. She did the political dance around the question and he really let her go.

One of our local sports guys on the radio here once made a point about asking tough questions. He said sometimes you can't push too hard because you want people to come on the show. If you get a reputation of always asking questions the interviewee doesn't want to answer, you'll never get guests. And he was right. For about a year, he couldn't get any guests on from the Jets because he called them out about something (of course it didn't help that the other sports station is the Jets flagship...but they still used to get guests on his show). So it's a fine line. I think Oliver was probably fine not pushing it, simply because his show is a comedy show and not Bill O'Reilly or Chris Matthews.
That's true. Kinda like how Nancy Pelosi told house members to not go on Colbert's show for awhile.

Also, since Oliver is just keeping the seat warm for Stewart instead of being on his own show, I'm guessing he doesn't feel that he has the latitude to bring the hammer down on guests.
logic88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:14 PM   #150
secondclaw

Yea its a balancing act, and I guess he has no incentive to rock the boat. In a way disappointing, but its a fact of life, and completely understandable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic88 View Post
That's true. Kinda like how Nancy Pelosi told house members to not go on Colbert's show for awhile.

Also, since Oliver is just keeping the seat warm for Stewart instead of being on his own show, I'm guessing he doesn't feel that he has the latitude to bring the hammer down on guests.