TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-30-2013, 01:43 PM   #121
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
Their three hour time slot with an excessive amount of commercials seems to allow about n hour and a half of programming. So if I want to see the movie I will have to find it somewhere.
Huh?

The serial they just showed was 1 hour 40 minutes long. The movie is 1 hour 29.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #122
Langree
The Gimp

Yup, they adjust the preamble to the episode depending on episode length, and for the 8th, well there isn't much to say. (The movie, books, and I think a few radio plays, they may mention changes the movie made from the canon).
Old 07-30-2013, 10:46 PM   #123
mattack

By "the preamble to the episode", do you mean the retrospective on each doctor?

BTW -- yes I admit my frequent rant -- are these Doctor Who serials edited? Though I admit in these cases, I may grit my teeth and watch the (edited) version, as I'm not likely to watch them on netflix if/when I resubscribe. (I have far too many video sources already...) These doctor retrospectives are currently available On Demand, and I can FF through commercials. So I have only watched the beginning part about each doctor for a few of them.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 11:09 PM   #124
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

The eps for the first 5 doctors were the only ones I cared about seeing. The first three because I knew virtually nothing about them and then T Baker and Davison because those are the ones I know and love. Numbers 6 and 7 just seem too cartoony and the use of the question marks is just completely ridiculous. I saw the movie with #8 about ten years ago and I wasn't impressed at all. It will be interesting to see what that episode of Revisited will be about. As for 9, 10, and 11, I've seen them all, no need to revisit them this soon.
Old 07-31-2013, 10:03 AM   #125
sieglinde

If the movie is not shown, unlikely since they have time for it, it is available on Netflix disc. I did not realize the episodes were so long. I never read the comics or books so the movie will be it for the eighth Doctor. Netflix also offers a disc of extras so it may cover the other media.
Old 07-31-2013, 11:15 AM   #126
pteronaut
Registered Snoozer

Quote:
If the movie is not shown, unlikely since they have time for it, it is available on Netflix disc. I did not realize the episodes were so long. I never read the comics or books so the movie will be it for the eighth Doctor. Netflix also offers a disc of extras so it may cover the other media.
The classic series stories were multi episodic arcs with each episode lasting 25 minutes counting the previous episode recap. Most stories lasted for four episodes but some were as short as two, and some as long as six.
pteronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:48 PM   #127
lachacg
Go Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pteronaut View Post
The classic series stories were multi episodic arcs with each episode lasting 25 minutes counting the previous episode recap. Most stories lasted for four episodes but some were as short as two, and some as long as six.
Or even a season long arc, like 4's "The Key To Time". Loved that multi-multi-arc as a kid...
lachacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 06:21 PM   #128
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
The eps for the first 5 doctors were the only ones I cared about seeing. The first three because I knew virtually nothing about them and then T Baker and Davison because those are the ones I know and love. Numbers 6 and 7 just seem too cartoony and the use of the question marks is just completely ridiculous.
Celery on Davison's lapel and question marks on his collars aren't silly at all.

Greg

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:19 AM   #129
sieglinde

I do like the costuming of the 21st century doctors better
Old 08-01-2013, 10:37 AM   #130
cheesesteak
Meh.

Quote:
I do like the costuming of the 21st century doctors better
Yeah, they got ridiculous after Peter Davison.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:46 AM   #131
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
Yeah, they got ridiculous after Peter Davison.
It's amusing that whenever anybody here criticizes trends that Peter Davison started, they say "after Peter Davison."
Old 08-01-2013, 10:50 AM   #132
Langree
The Gimp

The question marks are no more silly then them trying to jam "Doctor who" into dialogue in every episode.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:13 AM   #133
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langree View Post
The question marks are no more silly then them trying to jam "Doctor who" into dialogue in every episode.
Yeah, that's one unfortunate tendency of Moffat's...anything that's worth doing is worth doing over and over and over.
Old 08-01-2013, 11:36 AM   #134
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Let's all settle down and look at Ace.

Greg

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 12:00 PM   #135
TonyD79

They loo silly and outrageous today but they fit the times they were designed in. Outlandish but within the wilder guidelines of the times. Perspective.
Old 08-01-2013, 12:41 PM   #136
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD79 View Post
They look silly and outrageous today but they fit the times they were designed in. Outlandish but within the wilder guidelines of the times. Perspective.
Well, that's not how I remember it...I think Baker II or McCoy would have stood out in any crowd, even in the 80s.

And that's coming from a guy who worked at Shinders in the 80s! (Minneapolis in-joke)
Old 08-01-2013, 02:35 PM   #137
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Well, that's not how I remember it...I think Baker II or McCoy would have stood out in any crowd, even in the 80s.

And that's coming from a guy who worked at Shinders in the 80s! (Minneapolis in-joke)
Stood out. Yes. But not as ridiculous looking as they seem today. Heck, Matt Smith would stand out with a bow tie and the occasional fez.
Old 08-01-2013, 04:08 PM   #138
Gerryex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachacg View Post
Or even a season long arc, like 4's "The Key To Time". Loved that multi-multi-arc as a kid...
Was that the one with Romana II and a white and black time something-or-other that had a bird on the tops of their heads?

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:31 PM   #139
lachacg
Go Giants!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerryex View Post
Was that the one with Romana II and a white and black time something-or-other that had a bird on the tops of their heads?
Don't remember the bird thing but that was the last of Romana I before she became Romana II. Romana II (the actress) was in the keys of time serial playing a different character. When Romana regenerated into II she purposely chose the form of that character so they could explain away why the actress was the same.

That whole traveling with a female timelord companion always fascinated me.
lachacg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:56 PM   #140
Langree
The Gimp

Yes, the White Guardian was the one who sent the Doctor on the quest for the Key to Time. (with the "bird" on his head).

Black Guardian is the bad guy

Last edited by Langree : 08-01-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: color correction :p
Langree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 07:48 PM   #141
USAFSSO

Looks like the movie will air.

http://tennantnews.blogspot.com/2013...octor-who.html

USAFSSO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:53 PM   #142
TonyD79

Quote:
Originally Posted by USAFSSO View Post
Of course it is.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #143
Gerryex

Quote:
Yes, the White Guardian was the one who sent the Doctor on the quest for the Key to Time. (with the "bird" on his head).

Black Guardian is the bad guy
Ah yes, they were Guardians. I knew that one was dressed in white and the other in black and the one in black was the bad guy, but I forgot what their title was. Did both the white and black one have a bird on his head?

Gerry
Gerryex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:16 AM   #144
Church AV Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamakzie View Post
I assume they will skip Paul McGann and go right to Christopher Eccelston or will they show Paul McGann and the Doctor Who movie?
Quote:
They've said they are doing all 11. We will see how they handle it next month.

Added: FWIW, imdb lists 11 episodes and 8 on August 25.

BBC America webpage selling the DVD for 4 through 8 with the TV movie.
Well, they certainly showed the movie which was actually quit a bit shorter than some of the multi-part episodes.

I really, REALLY wish they had just skipped McGann completely. Being an American production, there were so many cringe-worthy moments, and extended moments, that I just wish they had declared it noncannon and let it go. There were at least two movies starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor that were left out.

Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.
Dr. Who and the Daleks

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it. - JOA
Church AV Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:25 AM   #145
Langree
The Gimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy View Post
Well, they certainly showed the movie which was actually quit a bit shorter than some of the multi-part episodes.

I really, REALLY wish they had just skipped McGann completely. Being an American production, there were so many cringe-worthy moments, and extended moments, that I just wish they had declared it noncannon and let it go. There were at least two movies starring Peter Cushing as the Doctor that were left out.

Daleks' Invasion Earth: 2150 A.D.
Dr. Who and the Daleks
The two movies are not canon, in fact, they are "Doctor Who" in name only, McGann is canon to the BBC series and counts as one of the regenertions,which is why they showed it.
Old 09-01-2013, 09:48 AM   #146
TonyD79

Quote:

The two movies are not canon, in fact, they are "Doctor Who" in name only, McGann is canon to the BBC series and counts as one of the regenertions,which is why they showed it.
Yup. The movies were contrary to canon, actually. Completely different take on the Doctor. I always considered them odd. The McGann movie was an attempt to continue the series and hence part of the story. There are oddities at odds with a lot of other canon but when a show runs for (now) 50 years, it is amazing that they are able to keep the level of continuity that they have.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #147
TonyD79

Just watched the movie. Not as bad as I remember. Actually, pretty decent. Fits pretty well with the new series.
Old 09-01-2013, 03:54 PM   #148
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Wow. You are very charitable. I thought it was incredibly bad.
LoadStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:01 PM   #149
nirisahn

Quote:
Just watched the movie. Not as bad as I remember. Actually, pretty decent. Fits pretty well with the new series.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoadStar View Post
Wow. You are very charitable. I thought it was incredibly bad.
I have to agree with Loadstar. I thought it was choppy and weird. It felt like it was made by someone who didn't really understand the show.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #150
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

It's interesting, though, how much it anticipates the new series. Kind of like a half-baked rough draft. All the elements are there, they just don't come together yet.

Maybe it was ahead of its time? Or maybe it was just half-baked. Still, I'd classify it as "interesting failure." And Eric Roberts makes a much, MUCH better Master than John Simm!