TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #1
dkh7m

Hard drive swap questions

So it looks like one of my TiVo HDs hard drive is dying. Got three code 7s in the S.M.A.R.T. test. It's a 1TB drive that was swapped into it a few years ago (actually, I think I got it on EBay already upgraded). I have some other smaller drives lying around, so I'm wondering the following...

1. If I use a hard drive cloning dock, can I copy the dying HDD to a new one (preserving recorded shows, system settings, account info, etc.)?

2. Can I copy to a smaller HDD (e.g. 500GB) if I delete enough shows from the 1TB drive before the copy?

3. Will copying from the bad drive potentially write bad data to the new drive? Or is it more likely a hardware issue causing the code 7s?

I'm pretty computer savvy, so I could also do a traditional copy/swap. I just read that the cloning docs work faster. I also picked up another TiVo HD off Craigslist for $25. So if all else fails I can start fresh. Although I'd rather not lose all my shows (or have to TTG 1TB worth of content).
dkh7m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:45 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkh7m View Post
So it looks like one of my TiVo HDs hard drive is dying. Got three code 7s in the S.M.A.R.T. test. It's a 1TB drive that was swapped into it a few years ago (actually, I think I got it on EBay already upgraded). I have some other smaller drives lying around, so I'm wondering the following...

1. If I use a hard drive cloning dock, can I copy the dying HDD to a new one (preserving recorded shows, system settings, account info, etc.)?

2. Can I copy to a smaller HDD (e.g. 500GB) if I delete enough shows from the 1TB drive before the copy?

3. Will copying from the bad drive potentially write bad data to the new drive? Or is it more likely a hardware issue causing the code 7s?

I'm pretty computer savvy, so I could also do a traditional copy/swap. I just read that the cloning docs work faster. I also picked up another TiVo HD off Craigslist for $25. So if all else fails I can start fresh. Although I'd rather not lose all my shows (or have to TTG 1TB worth of content).
Look for a good deal on the WD20EURS.

Use WinMFS to copy the old drive(s) to it/them with the mfscopy option.

When it asks if you want to expand, say no, and exit that screen.

Then click on the mfsadd option to do the expanding.

I don't know why the one-step method it offers doesn't work, I just know that it doesn't.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #3
dkh7m

So I quasi-successfully achieved this swap/downgrade, but I wasn't able to save my shows. When I fired up WinMFS, I wasn't able to do the copy to the smaller drive as unitron suggested. The program wouldn't find the smaller destination drive. So I backed up the larger drive, kernel and bootpage and tried restoring those to the smaller drive. Still no luck. Got an error when it got to copying media partitions. Finally, I restored the backup to the original drive, effectively wiping all the shows off of it. I did not expand the drive when prompted. Instead, I did another backup of the original drive and restored that to the smaller drive. Voila! I put the smaller drive in the TiVo and after a green screen/repair, it's working like a charm.

I did back up a lot of the shows I wanted to keep to the computer via KMTTG, and am in the process of trying to push them back to the TiVo with pyTiVo. But that hasn't worked out too well so far. Still, I'm glad I was able to do the HDD swap. When I ran a diagnostic on the old 1TB drive, it had a lot of bad sector issues. So I doubt it would have lived much longer.
dkh7m is offline   Reply With Quote