TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #31
sieglinde

I agree. Despirate people would even use wood paneling as fire wood.
Old 07-29-2013, 10:35 AM   #32
Sromkie
TiVoed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
??? How would he know there was no reward until he's torn apart the house to see what was there?
This. There comes a point where people are trying to find any last thing of value (value in the new world) they can find. Maybe the first scavengers to hit the house were more judicious with where they looked, but eventually someone's going to come by and try to find every last scrap they can because they are just that desperate.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:54 AM   #33
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieglinde View Post
I agree. Desperate people would even use wood paneling as fire wood.
And insulation as, well, insulation. (I wonder how many homes in Boston have fireplaces and/or wood-burning stoves?)

In a place with winter but no power grid, winter stops being something to bitch about and starts being something that will kill everybody who doesn't take active measures to survive.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:05 AM   #34
danterner
Not it!

This was the first episode of the series my daughter has seen. She walked into the room right as it began and sat down. She went in knowing nothing about the show; not knowing that there were aliens or anything like that. It was very amusing, seeing her reactions as things went from normal to askew. Mostly, it was a lot of "I'm so CONFUSED!"
| Twitter:
danterner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 AM   #35
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
And insulation as, well, insulation. (I wonder how many homes in Boston have fireplaces and/or wood-burning stoves?)

In a place with winter but no power grid, winter stops being something to bitch about and starts being something that will kill everybody who doesn't take active measures to survive.
which always confuses me about people who settled in Canada and New England. Why didn't they move south the minute they landed?
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 12:19 PM   #36
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
which always confuses me about people who settled in Canada and New England. Why didn't they move south the minute they landed?
Winter kills off a lot of the pests.

Including the ones that move south because they're too wimpy to handle winter.

Seriously, though, the first time I went south, the bugs just FREAKED ME OUT. Cockroaches you could put on a leash! Around here, the only way bugs can survive is by being small enough to hide in the walls.

So there's that.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #37
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I've always wondered that as well. I mean, if the first settlers were the Vikings and they were used to Scandanavian winters, that would make sense. But for the settlers that came from England, where the winters are much more mild due to the jet stream, I'd think they'd head south as soon as they could after they saw what winter in New England was like.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 AM   #38
sieglinde

Depends on what lands they are granted by their governments also.