TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
bsnelson
I'm an Android, baby

TC CLUB MEMBER
Falling Skies "Strange Brew" OAD 7/21/13

Ummm....

I get that this was mostly an episode where the evil chick was trying to get information from Tom, but dang. That was... weird. Some good subtle background info, though.

Who else expected something like this to come at the end of his daydream with him and his wife: "...there's nothing left for you here, but before you go, please tell me one thing... will you be going to Boston, Chicago, Jacksonville or New York?"

Brad
bsnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #2
trainman
Nice to see you

I did really like getting a glimpse of the Masons' lives "before."

Couldn't help but notice something that belied the Canadian filming location: a flashing green traffic light in what was supposed to be Boston. (Or perhaps we were supposed to take that as a sign that what we were seeing wasn't real...?)
Old 07-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #3
[NG]Owner

I'm wondering how Tom is going to get from Boston to Charleston, SC. That's damn near 1000 miles by foot.

[NG]Owner
[NG]Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:42 PM   #4
dthmj
Hinky

I liked this episode. I told my daughter it was nice seeing everyone all cleaned up.

Spoiler:
I was surprised that Moon Bloodgood was in the episode, I think she's on maternity leave - but I also read where she said she filmed some scenes out of sequence. I liked that she really was pregnant when the character was pregnant - but she still looked pregnant in this episode.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Gaming Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- My brand new personal blog!
dthmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:50 PM   #5
stellie93

So are she and the baby really dead? If they somehow impregnated her with alien DNA, I can't see them killing the baby.

One thing about apocalypse shows--you really appreciate sitting in your warm house with a full fridge and running water. Maybe these are the good old days--we should enjoy them.
stellie93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:29 PM   #6
cheesesteak
Meh.

I was surprised to see Noah Wiley clean shaven. I wonder when they filmed this episode in relation to the others.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:48 PM   #7
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I was surprised to see Noah Wiley clean shaven. I wonder when they filmed this episode in relation to the others.
I was curious about that too. They might have shot it after last season, cuz Wyle looks to have about a 4-6 month growth. They could have removed it digitally, but that would seem prohibitively expensive for a TV show.

(I had Fun, fun, fun 'til Katrina took my Ti-Vos away)

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
RGM1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 PM   #8
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post

I was curious about that too. They might have shot it after last season, cuz Wyle looks to have about a 4-6 month growth. They could have removed it digitally, but that would seem prohibitively expensive for a TV show.
Or those scenes could have been the last episode shot (after the next 2 episodes).
morac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:15 PM   #9
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
Or those scenes could have been the last episode shot (after the next 2 episodes).
That's true too. I didn't think that the season's eps are in the can well before they air.

I was just re-watching the snow scenes. I don't know when it stops snowing in Canada, but parts of those scenes could have been shot well before Wyle was inserted into them with green screen.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 07-23-2013, 06:43 AM   #10
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGM1138 View Post
That's true too. I didn't think that the season's eps are in the can well before they air.
These short-run cable shows are usually shot well in advance, sometimes as much as a year. So it's very easy for them to mess around with the shooting order if needed.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:54 AM   #11
zordude
WDW Fan

TC CLUB MEMBER
This was my least favorite episode of the season, I just didn't care.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
RGM1138
I wanna Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
These short-run cable shows are usually shot well in advance, sometimes as much as a year. So it's very easy for them to mess around with the shooting order if needed.
Yeah, that's what I was trying to say, I just used the wrong words. I meant to say that I wasn't thinking about the fact that these shows are shot well before air, unlike most full season series.

Dean Vernon Wormer
Faber College
Old 07-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

I kind of liked this episode. It had a Lost vs. The Prisoner feel to it. I too am confused if mother and baby are dead. Also, how did Tom get to Boston? That would have taken a long time to get there (the timeline on this show is very screwed up). And how is he getting back? And where is Karen? Is she in Charleston? Boston? Hell? Could she have transported him to Boston?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I kind of liked this episode. It had a Lost vs. The Prisoner feel to it. I too am confused if mother and baby are dead. Also, how did Tom get to Boston? That would have taken a long time to get there (the timeline on this show is very screwed up). And how is he getting back? And where is Karen? Is she in Charleston? Boston? Hell? Could she have transported him to Boston?
Tom was captured by the Aliens and it seems he was brought to Boston. Last time they had a car which got them to Charleston, who knows how he will get back now.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
Tom was captured by the Aliens and it seems he was brought to Boston. Last time they had a car which got them to Charleston, who knows how he will get back now.
episode before they were on horseback. I don't remember if they had the horses after they had the run in with the Dad and his Bro/boys. They showed three brothers come back to Charleston on foot, right?

So "I guess" this episode was weeks after the last one? Months?
Old 07-23-2013, 08:33 AM   #16
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
episode before they were on horseback. I don't remember if they had the horses after they had the run in with the Dad and his Bro/boys. They showed three brothers come back to Charleston on foot, right?

So "I guess" this episode was weeks after the last one? Months?
I don't think they were necessarily too far away to begin with...they were flying to DC, right? And they got shot down somewhere between Charleston and DC. Then they started back to Charleston on horseback...we don't know how far they had to go, and how far they got before they met that family. So they could have been just a couple days' walk away by then.

Remember that Cochise was able to walk from the crash site to Charleston (carrying the president).
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #17
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
I don't think they were necessarily too far away to begin with...they were flying to DC, right? And they got shot down somewhere between Charleston and DC. Then they started back to Charleston on horseback...we don't know how far they had to go, and how far they got before they met that family. So they could have been just a couple days' walk away by then.

Remember that Cochise was able to walk from the crash site to Charleston (carrying the president).
I'm almost positive that Tom came back to Charleston after the plane crash with Pope. Then set out with the boys on the search party.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #18
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
I'm almost positive that Tom came back to Charleston after the plane crash with Pope. Then set out with the boys on the search party.
Oops, you're right.

Which would make it even closer (horses don't go much faster than humans for more than a short sprint). The advantage of the horse is you don't have to do the work, you can carry more stuff...and you get the short sprints if needed.

And I guess you can see further from up there...
Old 07-23-2013, 11:31 AM   #19
HIHZia
Mad Turk

So what was the unbelievable reveal they kept teasing leading up to this episode? I don't remember anything being revealed, much less something unbelievable.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:24 PM   #20
aaronw

The person in the lounge talking to Peralta had his character's name subtitled as 'Cochise' and Tom called him 'Dr. C' which was a clever way of not giving it away.
aaronw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #21
mrdbdigital
The TBS Archives

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronw View Post
The person in the lounge talking to Peralta had his character's name subtitled as 'Cochise' and Tom called him 'Dr. C' which was a clever way of not giving it away.
I thought Cochise was the alien that carried the President back to Charleston and that is helping them build the "big gun"?
mrdbdigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:25 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdbdigital View Post
I thought Cochise was the alien that carried the President back to Charleston and that is helping them build the "big gun"?
That's exactly who Cochise is.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 PM   #23
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
That's exactly who Cochise is.
AKA Doug Jones, who built a career playing creatures under heavy make-up (Abe Sapien in Hellboy, the Faun in The Labyrinth, the Silver Surfer), but has done enough work with his own face to be recognizable. Having him appear out of make-up was basically an in-joke for people who know who he is.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:18 AM   #24
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Pile of poo....

Wow...what a heaping, steaming pile of schtako that was....complete waste of time. Episode opens -- blah blah, grid deployed, Tom escapes, blah blah -- episode over. Just awful....

My finger was millimeters away from the SP delete button...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 09:34 PM   #25
windracer
joined the 10k club

It was nice to see Dai again too.

|
windracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
DouglasPHill

Wife and I both felt this was a completely useless episode.
DouglasPHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #27
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

I know it doesn't matter, but it bugged me how the house was ransacked like a tornado blew through it. If people scavenged for food, why destroy things?

It would have been a much more emotional coming home if the house had been almost normal; which it should have been minus some broken windows and empty pantry.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 08:43 AM   #28
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
I know it doesn't matter, but it bugged me how the house was ransacked like a tornado blew through it. If people scavenged for food, why destroy things?
It would have been ransacked for anything that could possibly be useful, including the kinds of stuff that a lot of people keep hidden (guns, jewelry, etc.).

I suspect in a post-apocalyptic world, keeping a house tidy is pretty low on the priority list of the average ransacker.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #29
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
It would have been ransacked for anything that could possibly be useful, including the kinds of stuff that a lot of people keep hidden (guns, jewelry, etc.).

I suspect in a post-apocalyptic world, keeping a house tidy is pretty low on the priority list of the average ransacker.
But the average ransacker wouldn't waste time and energy when there is no reward. This house was messed up for the sake of being messed up.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #30
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
But the average ransacker wouldn't waste time and energy when there is no reward. This house was messed up for the sake of being messed up.
??? How would he know there was no reward until he's torn apart the house to see what was there?