TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Premiere DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-29-2013, 03:41 AM   #31
garycase

Tivo capabilities r.e. PC Transfer

Considering buying a Premier (or two) ... but have some questions about long term archival storage.

=> What are the restrictions on transferring shows to a PC via Tivo Desktop? I know shows you can't transfer are marked -- but since I don't have a Tivo unit yet, I have no idea how common that is. Are most major network shows freely transferrable? Cable networks? etc. I'd guess that the restrictions are primarily on premium channels (HBO, etc.), but would appreciate some feedback from those of you who have these units.

=> Is there a limit on the size of the datastore for Tivo Desktop? i.e. if I map a drive to a large RAID array [e.g. 10TB or larger] will it work okay with that?

=> Can you watch shows saved on a PC from another PC that's also running Tivo Desktop?

=> Basically the "Tivo infrastructure" I'm thinking about is a new 4-tuner XL4, with a bunch of PCs running Tivo Desktop. My understanding is this will let me watch anything that's recorded from any PC on our network. Is this correct? The 2nd part of that is to transfer everything we want to keep for a while to the main Tivo Desktop system (with the BIG storage array), so it doesn't have to occupy space on the XL4. I'd appreciate any feedback on whether or not this will all work okay as I'm planning it. [e.g. do shows transferred to a PC via Tivo Desktop have to stay on the XL4? ... which would, of course, kill my idea !!]
garycase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 05:04 AM   #32
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

The first Question is who is your Cable Provider, and City.

With Cox and TWC basically everything except the Local stations are copy protected and cannot be transfers off the TiVo, to a PC or even another TiVo. Copy protected recordings can only be Streamed between Premieres and a Mini using TiVo's Multi-Room Streaming.

For transferring non-copy protected recordings you will want to look at KMTTG and pyTivo along with Streambaby, also, will make life much easier.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 07-29-2013 at 05:14 AM.
CoxInPHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 07:31 AM   #33
ggieseke

There are no size limits, and you can watch the recordings on another PC as long as Desktop is installed and set to the same Media Access Key.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 04:54 PM   #34
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoxInPHX View Post
The price of an XL4 right now is $300, lowest price since the Woot sell-off of the Elite branded XL4 model.
Dropped another $10 now $290.67 or $284.99 from Yogi Computers via Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Premiere-...dp/B005TI1ILS/

Old 08-01-2013, 09:38 PM   #35
mattack

Quote:
Originally Posted by garycase View Post
Considering buying a Premier (or two) ... but have some questions about long term archival storage.

=> What are the restrictions on transferring shows to a PC via Tivo Desktop? I know shows you can't transfer are marked -- but since I don't have a Tivo unit yet, I have no idea how common that is. Are most major network shows freely transferrable? Cable networks? etc. I'd guess that the restrictions are primarily on premium channels (HBO, etc.), but would appreciate some feedback from those of you who have these units.

=> Is there a limit on the size of the datastore for Tivo Desktop? i.e. if I map a drive to a large RAID array [e.g. 10TB or larger] will it work okay with that?

=> Can you watch shows saved on a PC from another PC that's also running Tivo Desktop?
For *many* people, only premium channels (e.g. HBO) are protected. I think that's the case for me, though I have a smaller set of channels than I used to at my previous house (though I still have HBO due to a package deal). As someone else said, some cable networks protect even more.

They are legally required to NOT protect the cable versions of broadcast channels, so you can complain to the FCC if those are protected.

The "datastore" is just a drive you connect to your computer. After you download (and decrypt) the files, they're just regular MPEG files.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #36
CoxInPHX
COX Communications

Quote:
The price of an XL4 right now is $300, lowest price since the Woot sell-off of the Elite branded XL4 model.
Quote:
Dropped another $10 now $290.67 or $284.99 from Yogi Computers via Amazon.
Closeout???
Price just keeps dropping, How low will it go?
Dropped another $15 now $274.85
http://www.amazon.com/TiVo-Premiere-...dp/B005TI1ILS/

Best Buy appears to be out of stock.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Premiere...der/3438692.p?

Last edited by CoxInPHX : 08-06-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:19 PM   #37
HarperVision

Yeah I could've sworn I saw the XL4 on Amazon new for ~$223 a day or so ago!
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #38
Dan203
Super Moderator

I'm sure they're trying to get rid of stock. Rumor has it the new S5 will be released in the next couple months.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 02:37 PM   #39
Rose4uKY

I just bought a new Premiere I guess it's the XL 4 the 300 hour one and I was told I couldn't keep my 6.95 if I bought from Amazon and they knocked 50 bucks off the price and I got 2 minis and they gave me a free Moca so that wasn't bad. I've been with them for 10 years and stuck with them over the Hopper and Joeys. I love the new Premiere over my series 3 and we still can't get over how many shows we have and only 13% full. I have 66 HD shows when before I only could have 20 and never had it over 10-15 to save space LOL! This thing is awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarperVision View Post
Yeah I could've sworn I saw the XL4 on Amazon new for ~$223 a day or so ago!

Just got our Roamio Plus today and am able to return our 3 1/2 week old 2TB Premiere. Still have my Series 3 with LT and not using my other 2 x series 3 trying to sell them. 10 Year Customer.
Rose4uKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 03:12 PM   #40
HenryFarpolo

The XL4 is $266 today on Amazon with free shipping if you have a Prime acct.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 06:49 PM   #41
davezatz
Funkadelic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I'm sure they're trying to get rid of stock. Rumor has it the new S5 will be released in the next couple months.
I'm thinking available for purchase in September and I'm really hoping they don't announce before Labor Day when everyone's on vacation... but signs are pointing that way. Hope I'm wrong.
davezatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 10:39 AM   #42
HenryFarpolo

The XL4 is $248 and the Premiere 4 is $148 at my local BB. (Salem NH) if you are interested. Only one of each on the shelf.
HenryFarpolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #43
stack

I am in the same boat. Thinking of picking up a 4 with lifetime so i can get a mini as well. Moving into a place with Cox cable and need to figure out the best route to take and how long to wait before everyone starts putting their 4's online for sale with lifetime.
stack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 06:58 AM   #44
thyname

Quote:
Originally Posted by stack View Post
I am in the same boat. Thinking of picking up a 4 with lifetime so i can get a mini as well. Moving into a place with Cox cable and need to figure out the best route to take and how long to wait before everyone starts putting their 4's online for sale with lifetime.
Well, Romeo is out. Check Tivo website. This is the new Series 5 tivo with 6 tuners and built in Tivo Stream!
thyname is offline   Reply With Quote