TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Mini
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-17-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
sbiller

Little known facts about setup that most Tivo support personnel don't know

Mike's review linked below summarized some interesting info on a 'zero-tuner' Mini set-up...
  • Set-up requires allocation of a live tuner followed by deallocation
  • The Premiere 4/XL4 doesn't have MoCA enabled by default
  • The Premiere 4/XL4 can stream recorded programs to three different Mini's and still be recording four programs at the same time

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFODK4LKO8RA8
sbiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #2
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbiller View Post
Mike's review linked below summarized some interesting info on a 'zero-tuner' Mini set-up...
  • Set-up requires allocation of a live tuner followed by deallocation
  • The Premiere 4/XL4 doesn't have MoCA enabled by default
  • The Premiere 4/XL4 can stream recorded programs to three different Mini's and still be recording four programs at the same time

http://www.amazon.com/review/RFODK4LKO8RA8
I set up mine without allocating a tuner at all.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazelW View Post
Interesting. I allocated a tuner prior to set-up so I can't say one way or the other. Would like to see TiVo post a faq on this and other Mini questions.
Old 07-17-2013, 11:19 AM   #4
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

Quote:
I also set up my Mini without allocating a tuner on my XL4.
Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
mscroggin

Hi Folks,

I'm the person who posted the Amazon review.

I noticed during setup the screen that shows all of your premiere boxes on your network also has the option "I don't see my premiere" or something like that. Is that what you chose to get around having to allocate and then deallocate a tuner?
mscroggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #6
Dan203
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davisadm View Post
I also set up my Mini without allocating a tuner on my XL4.
Me too.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:32 PM   #7
HazelW

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscroggin View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm the person who posted the Amazon review.

I noticed during setup the screen that shows all of your premiere boxes on your network also has the option "I don't see my premiere" or something like that. Is that what you chose to get around having to allocate and then deallocate a tuner?
If I recall correctly, it just asked during setup if you wanted to allocate a tuner, and you could choose not to allocate one.
HazelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #8
mscroggin

Quote:
If I recall correctly, it just asked during setup if you wanted to allocate a tuner, and you could choose not to allocate one.
Maybe Tivo changed the setup because I'm sure I wasn't asked that.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:40 AM   #9
Dan203
Super Moderator

I don't remember being asked that, but I do remember some screen that mentioned that if I wanted to watch live TV I had to allocate a tuner on the host. But it's not like it was going to do it automatically. It was just explaining the process.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:00 AM   #10
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
I don't remember being asked that, but I do remember some screen that mentioned that if I wanted to watch live TV I had to allocate a tuner on the host. But it's not like it was going to do it automatically. It was just explaining the process.
+1. That's my recollection as well. I seem to recall selecting the Host DVR.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #11
mscroggin

I'm going to buy another one in a week or so and I'll pay close attention to the setup steps.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:50 PM   #12
mscroggin

I just finished hooking up my 2nd mini. Setup definitely forces you to allocate a tuner and then you can un-allocate it if you wish.

An interesting thing happened this time when I called to pay for the lifetime service. After I paid, the person said he needed to tell me a few things about setup. He told me you need to allocate and then un-allocate the XL4 tuner. He told me three minis can be on the same XL4. He also told me the Mini has a built-in tuner that in the future will be used to tune live tv and you won't need to allocate a XL4 tuner.

The Minis are working great.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:12 PM   #13
moyekj

Quote:
He also told me the Mini has a built-in tuner that in the future will be used to tune live tv and you won't need to allocate a XL4 tuner.
I call BS on that one. Even if Mini has internal tuner (which I highly doubt) it would need a CableCard to tune most digital channels, and there is no CableCard slot anywhere in the Mini. Maybe he was confusing Mini with Preview which does have a tuner plus CableCard slot.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
BigJimOutlaw

Quote:
He also told me the Mini has a built-in tuner that in the future will be used to tune live tv and you won't need to allocate a XL4 tuner.
Yeah, there's no way that last one is correct. He may have been confused about the dynamic tuner allocation coming soon that will release the tuner back to the host when live TV isn't being used.
BigJimOutlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 PM   #15
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJimOutlaw View Post
Yeah, there's no way that last one is correct. He may have been confused about the dynamic tuner allocation coming soon that will release the tuner back to the host when live TV isn't being used.
Agreed... I think the CSR was was probably referring to dynamic tuner allocation which I'm hearing may be released late August or early September.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:32 PM   #16
mscroggin

Actually I asked him if using the built-in tuner was Dynamic Tuner Allocation and he told me yes. But you're right, it would need a cable card.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:40 PM   #17
moyekj

To be clear, the Mini itself already has dynamic tuner behavior. Case in point is you can have only 1 tuner allocated to 2 Minis and they can both grab that same tuner (not at same time of course), or another tuner from same host if made available. So Dynamic Tuner Allocation feature will be a change to the host unit, not the Mini.

Old 07-26-2013, 01:21 AM   #18
Dan203
Super Moderator

They use to make a Mini with a built in tuner that they sold to cable companies. It was called the Preview. The Mini does not have a tuner. The only reason it has a coax port is because it supports MoCa.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:52 AM   #19
sbiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by moyekj View Post
To be clear, the Mini itself already has dynamic tuner behavior. Case in point is you can have only 1 tuner allocated to 2 Minis and they can both grab that same tuner (not at same time of course), or another tuner from same host if made available. So Dynamic Tuner Allocation feature will be a change to the host unit, not the Mini.
Complete speculation on my part but I would surmise that they could be making changes on both devices (Host DVR and Mini) to implement Dynamic Tuner Allocation.
Old 07-29-2013, 04:29 AM   #20
Dan203
Super Moderator

They may need some software tweeks on the mini side to deal with tuner conflicts (i.e. show needs to record using the tuner the Mini has allocated) but moyekj is right in that the allocation of the tuner itself is already dynamic on the Mini's end. Although for all we know those conflict screens already exist in the current Mini software and the Tivo side just isn't setup to send out the message to display them yet.

I wonder if, once this is live, we'll see real live TV support in the iPad app with Stream? Rather then the record and play macro they use now.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #21
ckelly33

I am considering a mini. I know that it requires a TiVo Premiere 4 to function .... BUT can it 'see' and watch content from my other TiVo Premiere's (all TiVo Premeire 3's) that are on the network once it is functional?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:39 AM   #22
moyekj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckelly33 View Post
I am considering a mini. I know that it requires a TiVo Premiere 4 to function .... BUT can it 'see' and watch content from my other TiVo Premiere's (all TiVo Premeire 3's) that are on the network once it is functional?
YES.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 AM   #23
Hi8
TiVoPro - wanabe!

New to TiVo Mini --- Question(s)

I've just ordered a Premiere 4XL & a TiVo Mini

I had two Series3 HD OLED boxes that I'm sad to see go, as they have treated me very well in since 2007. However I should be able to save some money on cable card charges and I'll be adding Lifetime to my new boxes.

MoCa connections, is it better(faster) than Wired Ethernet?

I have wired ethernet in both locations Premiere4XL & Mini, I also have the ability to utilize the coaxial cable that I no longer need where the Mini is going to be installed. Seems like many are using MoCa to connect between the two.

It seems MUCH easier and cleaner to just stick with a wired ethernet RJ45 for both. ???

(3) TiVo THX HD S3
(1) Roamio - Basic 3TB
(1) PremiereXL4 & (1) TiVo Mini
Hi8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:41 AM   #24
moyekj

Wired ethernet should always be 1st choice if available.

Old 07-30-2013, 11:11 AM   #25
mscroggin

Quote:
I had my old Tivo hd boxes connected via ethernet and when I replaced them with minis I switched to Moca. I don't know why I did that, probably just to see if I could. Why is ethernet better?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #26
atmuscarella

Quote:
Quote:
I had my old Tivo hd boxes connected via ethernet and when I replaced them with minis I switched to Moca. I don't know why I did that, probably just to see if I could. Why is Ethernet better?
I am not sure without knowing how a person's house is wired if anyone can really say if one is "better" than the other. Heck I am not even certain what one would say being "better" means. If it works without issues it works without issues.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 12:36 PM   #27
h2oskierc
I'm a 2-Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Me too.
How? Does that mean I could do it with my 2 tuner, even though they say you can't? That would kick arse!
Old 07-30-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
moyekj

Quote:
I had my old Tivo hd boxes connected via ethernet and when I replaced them with minis I switched to Moca. I don't know why I did that, probably just to see if I could. Why is ethernet better?
Well for one you become dependent on MoCA host being alive. For example if you are using your XL4 as a MoCA host and it goes down while you are streaming to Mini from a different Premiere in your house or streaming from YouTube, then your stream will be interrupted until the MoCA host recovers. With wired ethernet you wouldn't have that concern.
I'm not saying that MoCA is bad (I've used it for years and love it), but if I was all wired up for ethernet I would certainly choose that option instead.

Old 08-01-2013, 08:37 AM   #29
mscroggin

Quote:
Well for one you become dependent on MoCA host being alive. For example if you are using your XL4 as a MoCA host and it goes down while you are streaming to Mini from a different Premiere in your house or streaming from YouTube, then your stream will be interrupted until the MoCA host recovers. With wired ethernet you wouldn't have that concern.
I'm not saying that MoCA is bad (I've used it for years and love it), but if I was all wired up for ethernet I would certainly choose that option instead.
Good point, I didn't think about that.