TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #241
tvmaster2

thanks - the quick restore seemed to work, and since there was nothing else on the drive it's likely OK. What's your recommendation for checking drives for errors once they've been formatted for use in the Tivo?
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #242
ggieseke

Personally, I trust SpinRite as the ultimate drive test / recovery software more than anything else. The downside is that it takes forever and it only runs in DOS.

Most of the time I just use the factory diags from Seagate or WD depending on who made the drive.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 07:59 PM   #243
tvmaster2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
Personally, I trust SpinRite as the ultimate drive test / recovery software more than anything else. The downside is that it takes forever and it only runs in DOS.

Most of the time I just use the factory diags from Seagate or WD depending on who made the drive.
I didn't realize the WD app would work if the drive was formatted for Tivo. Cool. thanks. Agreed - Spinrite can take a loooooonnnnnggggg time
tvmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 02:56 PM   #244
HerronScott

Greg,

Great tool! I just used to get truncated backup of an original TiVoHD 160GB drive (used though). Size was 1.1GB while the WinMFS truncated backup was only 466MB. Just curious how the 2 compare?

I did donate as well.

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #245
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
Greg,

Great tool! I just used to get truncated backup of an original TiVoHD 160GB drive (used though). Size was 1.1GB while the WinMFS truncated backup was only 466MB. Just curious how the 2 compare?

I did donate as well.

Scott
First of all, THANKS!

WinMFS is pretty aggressive when it comes to truncated backups. It leaves out all of the "alternate" partitions, the swap partition, and even the /var partition. It also uses a proprietary file format and compression.

That's cool and it has saved countless folks over the years including me, but after more than 20 years in IT my basic instinct is to back up everything and I used a published file format. When I started DvrBARS my only real goal was to back up Premieres, and I wanted the result to fit on a single-layer DVD or a cheap flash drive, so anything under 4.7GB was fine with me.

There's also a fair amount of compression still on the table if you zip or rar the VHD image. DvrBARS uses 2MB blocks, and even if only 512 bytes are needed the entire 2MB block it lives in is still copied. Zipping them seems to give about 40% compression on truncated images, and there's an option to skip the alternate Root partition which will shave another few hundred meg or so.

Spike's still the true genius that figured out enough of the proprietary MFS file system to let folks like me stand on his shoulders. I'm waiting for the S5s this fall since some predictions are that they've broken the 2TB barrier. THAT's gonna be a challenge...
Old 07-06-2013, 08:17 PM   #246
HerronScott

Greg,

Thanks for the explanation. I'm in IT as well and backups are a good thing (the more the merrier). So in that spirit, I pulled out my original S3 OLED 250GB hard drives (we have 2) and performed truncated backups with DvrBARS. Interestingly, one was 2.54GB and the other was 5.08GB in size. These had been in use for about a year and a half before I upgraded both to 1TB drives using WinMFS.

Scott
HerronScott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #247
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerronScott View Post
I pulled out my original S3 OLED 250GB hard drives (we have 2) and performed truncated backups with DvrBARS. Interestingly, one was 2.54GB and the other was 5.08GB in size.
Maybe a web download, Amazon movie, or something along those lines snuck in. Basically I add every file to the backup, then for truncated backups I go back through the /Recording directory and remove the shows listed there.

I'm just guessing. tvmaster2 got some unusual results too (7GB one day, 2.8GB the next). I should probably add a detailed log to the next version.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:21 AM   #248
MTWomg

Could I get the 746320 image?
MTWomg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 08:35 AM   #249
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWomg View Post
Could I get the 746320 image?
PM sent.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #250
CJDOG

Hey Greg, I'm unable to get past this error (dvrBARS) during startup: running Vista 64 (I know)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14590322@N02/9392178395/

Any ideas?
CJDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:08 PM   #251
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJDOG View Post
Hey Greg, I'm unable to get past this error (dvrBARS) during startup: running Vista 64 (I know)
http://www.flickr.com/photos/14590322@N02/9392178395/

Any ideas?
Wow, that's one I haven't seen before. Microsoft's description of that error code is "The semaphore timeout period has expired". I have no idea what the heck that means.

That DeviceIoControl call has been troublesome since I released DvrBARS, but I thought that I had covered all of the weird hardware configurations that I've come across so far and it won't work without it. I have a beta that ignores all errors and continues on despite them. I'll send you a PM link.

Vista is the one OS that I haven't really tested it against due to my utter horror at what MS came up with in that fit of insanity. XP (because I still love it), 7 & 8 have been pretty solid so far.

If you run Disk Manager (don't let it initialize anytnig it finds) what does it say about Disk 2?
Old 07-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #252
CJDOG

Yeah, the system I have with eSATA connectors came with Vista so...
OK, after the virtual disk driver eventually calmed down I can see the drive and was able to restore my original 160GB image to it.
Thanks!
CJDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2013, 06:13 PM   #253
dougdingle
HD Tech

So I just discovered that if I'm doing a restore where the VHD file is on a network share, the green progress bar never appears, although I do have other indications that the file is being pulled across the network and the target drive is writing.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

Edit: My mistake. It was the painful slowness that stopped the bar from appearing. Over a gig network, by my calculations it would have taken a mere 300 hours to copy a 1TB VHD file to the drive. I moved the drive to the machine where the file lives, and things are going much faster now.

Last edited by dougdingle : 08-03-2013 at 06:37 PM.
dougdingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 07:09 AM   #254
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
So I just discovered that if I'm doing a restore where the VHD file is on a network share, the green progress bar never appears, although I do have other indications that the file is being pulled across the network and the target drive is writing.

Is this a bug or a feature? ;-)

Edit: My mistake. It was the painful slowness that stopped the bar from appearing. Over a gig network, by my calculations it would have taken a mere 300 hours to copy a 1TB VHD file to the drive. I moved the drive to the machine where the file lives, and things are going much faster now.
It's definitely not by design. I use standard Windows API calls like CreateFile & ReadFile, and a restore is basically just a bunch of sequential 2MB reads.

If you're using Vista or Windows 7, some routers like my old Cisco 831 don't play well with certain features that the new IP stack uses. It drove me nuts because smaller packets like web browsing were fine but when it started using larger packets to download files it slowed down to about 5MB per hour. If you think that could be happening in your case open a Command Prompt as Administrator and enter the following command.

netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

IMHO that autotuning layer is useless anyway and you can always turn it back on if it doesn't help. Unless every piece of hardware and software in your network supports "huge" packets and the ability to negotiate packet sizes over the MTU settings it doesn't help, and in some cases it may hurt a lot.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #255
dougdingle
HD Tech

On a slightly different note, if you are working on a new version, please consider supporting drive to drive copies.

And what would be REALLY cool is an option to continue on read errors without manual intervention, with a log at the end of the process if there were any errors.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:15 PM   #256
ggieseke

Adding direct copy from drive to drive is my next goal, and since I already have most of the code written for that it shouldn't be a problem. The continue / log on error will take more coding but it's something I have been thinking about, but as noted in my first post, "It is not intended as a recovery tool for corrupt or failing drives". Don't be surprised if v1.0.0.5 doesn't have it.

That's my disclaimer and I'm sticking to it.

Seriously though, it's a big jump from backing up or restoring a healthy drive to compensating for all of the problems that a corrupt or failing drive might present. The "if this or that error occurs" decision trees are endless. I set my basic design goals back in 2012 - back up a working Premiere to a 4GB file or less. Adding S1-S3 compatability along the way was just me being stubborn because I still use old TiVos.
Old 08-04-2013, 07:17 PM   #257
jmbach

All that might be more of a DvrExplorer feature.
Old 08-05-2013, 12:57 AM   #258
dougdingle
HD Tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggieseke View Post
The continue / log on error will take more coding but it's something I have been thinking about

Seriously though, it's a big jump from backing up or restoring a healthy drive to compensating for all of the problems that a corrupt or failing drive might present. The "if this or that error occurs" decision trees are endless.
Yes, I can see that.

But the program already stops on source disk read errors when creating a vhd file, and will ignore the error and continue once I click "OK". I want the option for the program to click "OK" and carry on so I don't have to babysit it.

The log would just be a bonus, so I knew the drive had unrecoverable read errors.
Old 08-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #259
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougdingle View Post
Yes, I can see that.

But the program already stops on source disk read errors when creating a vhd file, and will ignore the error and continue once I click "OK". I want the option for the program to click "OK" and carry on so I don't have to babysit it.

The log would just be a bonus, so I knew the drive had unrecoverable read errors.
While there are a few things I'd like to see modified or added, I wouldn't be so aggressive in "I want this, and I want that", without clicking on the Donate button. If you have given a donation, then to you.

Even then, I wouldn't feel entitled to demand changes.

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems like some people are getting a bit aggressive, over things that they want in a FREE program.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 01:25 PM   #260
dougdingle
HD Tech

I made a donation immediately after the current version of the program allowed me to back up a failing drive, where nothing else would.

And I'm not demanding anything. I am suggesting what I consider to be useful features. The author seems quite receptive to suggestions, and so I'm making them.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:36 AM   #261
yeahbut wellum

Were you able to find a virgin 746320 image? If so, can I get a copy?
yeahbut wellum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 05:49 AM   #262
ggieseke

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeahbut wellum View Post
Were you able to find a virgin 746320 image? If so, can I get a copy?
PM sent.

It was plugged in once and got updated from 14.5 to 20.2.0, but it works fine. Don't forget to run Clear & Delete Everything after it's back in the TiVo to "marry" the drive to the motherboard.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:49 PM   #263
jj2me

Seagate DB35 120 GB refurb PATA: $13 shipped, Newegg

Excuse this off-topic post, but since I don't have the requisite 5 posts in order to create a thread, and this seems a great deal for those who might want a 120 GB PATA drive. Maybe someone else could start a thread if you think it's worthy of alerting others. (Otherwise, feel free to delete this post.)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148723

(Missing h t t p... because it won't even let me post URLs.)
jj2me is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:31 AM   #264
ccrider2

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jj2me View Post
Excuse this off-topic post, but since I don't have the requisite 5 posts in order to create a thread, and this seems a great deal for those who might want a 120 GB PATA drive. Maybe someone else could start a thread if you think it's worthy of alerting others. (Otherwise, feel free to delete this post.)

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148723

(Missing h t t p... because it won't even let me post URLs.)
Thanks for the heads-up. Good deal for the shelf....My old Replay thanks You!

ccrider2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM   #265
daverita

Hello Greg, I tried DvrBKRS on a 120 Gig PATA drive with Philips HDR112 Tivo on it. I did a full backup and a full restore to a 250 Gig SATA drive (with an IDE to SATA adapter). After the restore I put the SATA drive with the adapter into the TiVo but it did not work. The TiVo started with "Your Recorder is starting up, Please wait a moment...", then a blue screen, then back to the "Your Recorder ..." message and back and forth continually but no progress past that. Is there any advice you can give me? Thanks, Dave
daverita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #266
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by daverita View Post
Hello Greg, I tried DvrBKRS on a 120 Gig PATA drive with Philips HDR112 Tivo on it. I did a full backup and a full restore to a 250 Gig SATA drive (with an IDE to SATA adapter). After the restore I put the SATA drive with the adapter into the TiVo but it did not work. The TiVo started with "Your Recorder is starting up, Please wait a moment...", then a blue screen, then back to the "Your Recorder ..." message and back and forth continually but no progress past that. Is there any advice you can give me? Thanks, Dave
What brand/model drive did you use? Also what SATA adapter? The adapter could be a factor in the issue. Another factor is if the drive is a a Western Digital Drive, it may be needed to have WDidle3.exe run.

I recently did an upgrade on my Series 2 TCD540080 with original drive to a Western Digital 1 TB drive. I used an image downloaded from here. It would not get past the "Powering up" screen. It went back in to my PC and booted up on Ultimate Boot CD and ran WDidle3 /D. When it was back in the Tivo, Booted up and running now with 1268 hrs. I was forced through Guided Setup, but I knew I needed to run Clear & Delete Everything, and then Guided Setup.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 07:49 PM   #267
daverita

I used a WD Blue 250GB SATA /16MB Cache WD2500AAKX. The adapter is an ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board. According to the WD support site the WDidle3.exe should not be used on my drive.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #268
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
I used a WD Blue 250GB SATA /16MB Cache WD2500AAKX. The adapter is an ADP-06 SATA to IDE Bridge Board. According to the WD support site the WDidle3.exe should not be used on my drive.
The adapter I used had foam tape backing on the reverse side to prevent short circuiting.

Would you be willing to try another adapter? I think there are reports here of incompatible Sata/IDE adapters.

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 08:45 PM   #269
daverita

The adapter that I used has a foam backing. I bought it at Microcenter and it is the only adapter they sold. Do you think that I should try a clean and delete everything on the Maxtor drive and then try the restore again? And, if so, can you tell me how to do a clean and delete everything.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 PM   #270
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
It's OK to ignore that warning. None of the drives it says are OK to use it on are even ones we use to upgrade TiVos, or come in TiVos (which have it set to disabled). I've seen no reports of it damaging a drive, only that some drives will say they couldn't be set (generally, PATA or very old SATA drives).

I haven't a clue why they warn against using it. My best guess, is that if used in a computer, a drive with the setting disabled, or changed to a longer timeout, wouldn't be as green as the specs say it is, or would otherwise deviate from the published specs, in the case of a non-green drive).

In a TiVo, the setting serves no purpose, as the drive isn't given a chance to park the heads and spin down, except it will do that (or try to) in the brief time the TiVo isn't forcing the drive to stay spun-up and un-parked, at the time of a reboot, or sometimes (rarely, if ever) even a cold boot.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote