TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2013, 02:29 PM   #1
Escape-Sat-TV

Tivo Premier be aware (beware?)

Long story short, I wanted to find an alternative to satellite tv. I installed an antenna and was able to get beautiful hdtv, but needed a way to record and do all the things vcr's used to do. Research told me Tivo Premier was the ticket. I ordered one thru their "refurbished" offer.
I got it in early April, set it up and it worked as advertised. We did not use it all the time, as I was trying to convert my wife to the new system. The first of June my wife was home sick and wanted to watch an old movie on Netflix.
What she got was "no service". Our internet connection was no more. As we have wifi, several computers and other devices that were working fine, I called tech support. They advised me that since I was using a non-TIVO wifi receiver with my box, they offered no support.
I bought a TIVO wifi device, hooked it to a laptop to set it up which took only seconds, because it would not set up at the TIVO box, then moved it to the TIVO box. NO INTERNET CONNECTION.
I spent literally hours on the phone and in chat with customer service and tech support trying and retrying a connection. Mind you, this was about 60 days after I bought the thing and I was told there was a 30 day warranty and a 60 day warranty by different reps.
I was advised they would not replace the machine, they could not say for sure that it did not operate. What am I supposed to do with a device that does not work and ,according to their website, has a 90 DAY WARRANTY?
I canceled my service.
The guaranty that TIVO does honor is that you will pay for the contract,working or not, if you cancel early. They are sending us to collection for $210 on a device that failed after no more than 60 days.
Be aware
Escape-Sat-TV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
jrtroo
User

Well, are you here to ask for help? This site is a great resource, but you'll need to provide more data. A good place to start is- How did your tivo get guide data between April and June?
Old 07-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Also, what model number Premiere and what brand/model # for the "wifi device"?

Is there any way you could try a wired ethernet connection?

Does the router see your TiVo at all? Could there be a conflict between dyanamic (DHCP) or static IP configuration between TiVo and your router? Actually what exact router or WAP or whatever equipment are you using in your network? There may be routers that don't work with TiVo via wifi, or need special setup, and this can be researched on this forum by searching for the Router model name/model #. Such info is much more likely to be available on this forum than via TiVo support.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Last edited by dlfl : 07-23-2013 at 03:54 PM.
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Escape-Sat-TV

Point is it worked fine for five or six weeks with the first setup and universal wifi receiver,NetgearWNCE2001. Also have Netgear Router with 2 desktops, 2 laptops, 2 printers, 2 smart phones, smart tv, Roku device (and partridge in a pear tree) all working fine on wifi. Borrowed a 100 foot cable from a neighbor to run across the house, Tivo box would like hook up. Premiere model TCD746500
Old 07-24-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
jrtroo
User

So, have you now hard-wired it (and done troubleshooting your setup)? That is always preferred as evidenced by Tivo moving to support MOCA.

What is not clear is does the Tivo not connect to the internet at all for anything, or is it just a netflix issue?

Anyhow, I never used the netgear bridge, but that seems the most likely issue. To the Tivo, it should appear that it is hardwired to a network and not wireless. So, have you verified that it works and is putting out a good signal? I would test by turning off a laptop's wifi radio and connect through ethernet.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:13 AM   #6
Escape-Sat-TV

Borrowed 100 foot cable from a neighbor to run down the hall and across the house. Tivo still would not connect. Laptop I used to program both wifi receivers has wifi off/on switch. We have numerous other devices using our wifi throughout the house.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Escape-Sat-TV

Worked fine until it didn't.
Old 07-26-2013, 10:17 AM   #8
Davisadm
TiVo is Back!!!!!!!!

If you want help from fellow TiVo members, please provide more detailed info.
i.e. What have you done to check if it connects to the internet, problem with Netflix only, troubleshooting steps you have done, difference between wireless and wired connections.

We are here to help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Escape-Sat-TV View Post
Worked fine until it didn't.

Davisadm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 12:51 PM   #9
NotNowChief
Addicted to TiVo

It already seems to me that this dude is just plugging and unplugging adapters and network cables without changing the network settings in the box.

Henceforth, no connections.
TiVo HDXL
TiVo HD
Retired: TiVo Series 2 ST, Philips Series 1 HDR212
NotNowChief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:36 PM   #10
Escape-Sat-TV

I had hoped the alert readers would note from the post that the device worked, stopped working during the warranty period and TIVO would do nothing to repair or replace. Not enough info for some, too much for others.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:09 PM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
I had hoped the alert readers would note from the post that the device worked, stopped working during the warranty period and TIVO would do nothing to repair or replace. Not enough info for some, too much for others.
The answer is that if you want folks to help, you have to give good information to them, if you want to just come in and gripe, then you've done great.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Not enough info for some, too much for others.
Actually, not enough information for anyone. So far it sounds like the issue is most likely one related to your own network, but you have proven unable or unwilling to provide enough information to several folks who have offered to help.
Old 07-28-2013, 12:08 AM   #13
lpwcomp

Are we supposed to believe that he had all of these problems in June and waited until now to complain? Color me skeptical. I also don't believe for a minute that TiVo refused to honor the warranty. I am getting a strong odor of troll.

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is online now   Reply With Quote