Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-26-2013, 01:59 PM   #151
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I think he's just tripping the lever for whatever mechanism delivers the tube into the box (probably through the bottom).
Unless there is a serious optical illusion going on, the tube cant come from the base of the ladder for the reasons I mentioned. He unscews the lid so the lid isnt collapsible.. if it was, it would come off.

Now I can see him grabbing the paper and sliding it through a false bottom in the cylinder.. pull the cylinder out, unscrew it and voila.

I dunno.. it looks like he just uses his left hand to support himself when he's going down the ladder.

Either way, it was a hell of a trick. Ive watched the video about 100 times now and still dont have any idea how he did it.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:26 PM   #152
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Either way, it was a hell of a trick. Ive watched the video about 100 times now and still dont have any idea how he did it.
I was just going to say that whatever the gimmick, he executed flawlessly.

I think we can all agree that the paper didn't go into the tube blank and magically get the answers written on it. Everything else makes it an impressive iilusion in my book.

Contrast that to chakra-head and it's absolutely no contest!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 02:48 PM   #153
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Since you can use the box within 6 feet of the audience:

http://www.wellingtonent.com/product...icpredict.html

It has to be simply a printer inside the box, and the values are inputted wirelessly by someone off stage.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 03:31 PM   #154
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Since you can use the box within 6 feet of the audience:

http://www.wellingtonent.com/product...icpredict.html

It has to be simply a printer inside the box, and the values are inputted wirelessly by someone off stage.
Thats gotta be it. I dont see any other explanation. Here's a video of this device in action with Criss Angel using it.

After looking at the output he shows, Im 100% sure this is what he used. I had seen this mentioned a few pages back and after seeing someone else use it, you hit the nail on the head.

Criss Angel performs Malloy Modern Magic's Master Prediction System on
You need to upgrade your Flash Player

Old 07-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #155
2004raptor

I can't see how it could be a printer on the criss angel one. If so, the audience guy would have seen it in the box or he would have been in on it. But then it also was sealed it the jar.
2004raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 04:36 PM   #156
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2004raptor View Post
I can't see how it could be a printer on the criss angel one. If so, the audience guy would have seen it in the box or he would have been in on it. But then it also was sealed it the jar.
If you notice, Criss moves him away from the box pretty quick.

Collins was also sealed in that plastic tube.

Lemme show you another series. Id love to see the inside of that box.

All of them appear to be sealed in the jar. This next series is OLD and its even the same.

Master Prediction System (Part I) by Malloy Modern Magic

Master Prediction System (Part II) by Malloy Modern Magic

Master Prediction System (Part III) by Malloy Modern Magic

Old 07-26-2013, 06:00 PM   #157
getreal
postcrastinator

A collapsible soft plastic tube can very easily have a separate loose lid applied before extracting from the case by a sleight-of-hand expert in order to complete the illusion that the lid was already on the tube.

ETA: Criss Angel's trick: his own writing (he signed the bottom and added the date "6•3•04") of the number "3" did not match the handwriting from the person who actually wrote "his prediction" for him and secreted it into the secret compartment of the table top onto which the case was placed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by getreal : 07-26-2013 at 06:09 PM.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 09:41 PM   #158
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Im telling you, its the Master Prediction System.. look at this. Its not in English but the payoff is almost exactly the same.

Master Prediction System By Tonny Jan

Old 07-26-2013, 09:47 PM   #159
busyba
The Funcooker

I don't think anyone is disputing that at this point. The sales page for that device doesn't say how it actually works though; I think we're all just speculating on the details now.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #160
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Looks like there are actually two "authorized" versions of this box. Here is the one Collins used and apparently somehow the ladder does play into the trick as they sell the ladder he used as well. If you dont get the ladder, you get the base.

http://www.malloymodernmagic.com/pro...edictionSystem
Old 07-27-2013, 11:33 AM   #161
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Looks like there are actually two "authorized" versions of this box. Here is the one Collins used and apparently somehow the ladder does play into the trick as they sell the ladder he used as well. If you dont get the ladder, you get the base.

Well, since that webpage now has Collins Key video embedded in it I think the mystery is solved.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 AM   #162
2004raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubob57 View Post
Well, since that webpage now has Collins Key video embedded in it I think the mystery is solved.
I agree but I just watched the Criss Angel one at the car race. I just don't see how some printer can print all that writing and fold up that large piece of paper.

Maybe I'm just slow.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:37 AM   #163
loubob57
Running Fool

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
I agree but I just watched the Criss Angel one at the car race. I just don't see how some printer can print all that writing and fold up that large piece of paper.

Maybe I'm just slow.
The box also has an elf inside.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #164
2004raptor

Quote:
Now I get it.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:05 PM   #165
Goober96

Quote:

For that price I'd hope so.
Goober96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:33 PM   #166
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:

Maybe I'm just slow.
I dont either and I really wonder if thats how this thing works. For the price, there has to be more to it than a box and a fake base but the videos of this thing are older than technology that would have printed and done all this stuff.

Ive searched and searched for someone that reveals exactly how this thing works and I cant find anything.. I can find plenty of people talking about it but no one that talks about how its done. I guess magicians really are great about keeping their secrets.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:32 PM   #167
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:

I originally thought printer, but now I am onboard with it being a fake base in the ladder.

Listen to Collins' video on that site. He is miked, and it picks up an audible 'click' when he has the box on the ladder.

He climbs up the ladder, unlocks the box from the chain and sets it squarely on the ladder.

He says "Let's try this" and lets out a grunt. Then you can hear a click when his left hand is out of view behind the box.

The click must open a trap door between the ladder and the bottom of the box, where the plastic tube (which looks collapsible to me) contains the paper that was filled out by an assistant off stage.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 06:53 PM   #168
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Occam's razor was on the side of offstage assistant loading the ladder all along.
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 02:50 PM   #169
getreal
postcrastinator

Quote:
I dont either and I really wonder if thats how this thing works. For the price, there has to be more to it than a box and a fake base but the videos of this thing are older than technology that would have printed and done all this stuff.

Ive searched and searched for someone that reveals exactly how this thing works and I cant find anything.. I can find plenty of people talking about it but no one that talks about how its done. I guess magicians really are great about keeping their secrets.
In the Magic Castle video, the stage magician put the case on a rollable table and produced from the cylinder an envelope containing a folded letter-size (probably typed) letter containing the "predictions", complete with the fakeout on the last answer and the grand reveal of the correct "prediction" at the end of the message. Even during the act, the audience suggestions clearly threw the magician for a loop as he responded initially with surprise, then ad libbed some jokes about the suggestions. Of course, as the prediction letter was read by an audience member, he acted as if he knew the answers all along.

In the AGT video, Collins put the case on the ladder and produced from the cylinder a large folded black sheet with the handwritten "predictions", complete with the fakeout on the last answer and the grand reveal of the correct "prediction" handwritten on the back.

In the Mindfreak video, Criss Angel put the case on a table and produced from the cylinder a large folded flipchart sheet with the handwritten message in markerpen, all on the front side of the sheet, along with his signature (i.e., trademarked brand).

The bases (on which each case was placed) all activate the false base in the case and the false top of the base, where the "predictions" had all been prepared offstage for the magician and delivered to them for the big reveal.

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 04:06 PM   #170
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Something else I noticed, if you watch the AGT video, I swear you can see his hand at the bottom of the case when he sticks it in there... I thought maybe it was a reflection of something else but I showed it to my wife and she thinks its his hand also. I wonder if he didnt get the box centered exactly right and there was a gap.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #171
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Something else I noticed, if you watch the AGT video, I swear you can see his hand at the bottom of the case when he sticks it in there... I thought maybe it was a reflection of something else but I showed it to my wife and she thinks its his hand also. I wonder if he didnt get the box centered exactly right and there was a gap.
His right hand is inside the box. The reflection is of his left hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Listen to Collins' video on that site. He is miked, and it picks up an audible 'click' when he has the box on the ladder.
The "click" is the metal O-ring that is attached to the top of the box falling back against the top of the box. The O-ring was what the box was suspended from.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:54 PM   #172
bruinfan

how do they decide how to group the acts for the live show... I'm seeing tonite's lineup, and the American hitmen would beat most of them...
bruinfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #173
morac
Cat God

Was there purple lights shining on the third act? The reason I ask is that I've been having a cable problem recently with the picture becoming too purple, but it usually lasts a few seconds. The light and smoke from the flare was all purple on my TV for the entire time it was lit, so I want to know if that's actually what the picture looked like or it was another cable issue.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:10 PM   #174
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

I think the cameras were overdriven by the brightness of the flare. I saw purple while the flare was lit as well.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:39 PM   #175
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
I think the cameras were overdriven by the brightness of the flare. I saw purple while the flare was lit as well.
It's good to confirm that, though after I posted I realized I recorded it off antenna and not cable.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #176
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Wow the judges usually complain about the acts doing the same thing each week and not taking it to the next level but then they go and gush over Tone the Chiefrocca. Even though tonight was meh if he gets a spot over even someone like Dave err... whats his name... I think I will be annoyed.

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #177
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Wow the judges usually complain about the acts doing the same thing each week and not taking it to the next level but then they go and gush over Tone the Chiefrocca. Even though tonight was meh if he gets a spot over even someone like Dave err... whats his name... I think I will be annoyed.
I've found most of what the Judges say (other than Howard), to be idiotic so I just fast forward through them. Actually I FF through everything, but the performances. I can watch the whole 2 hour show in about 20 minutes.
Old 07-30-2013, 10:38 PM   #178
morac
Cat God

Other than a few acts, most of the acts were average or below. My predictions are Innovative Force, Ciana Pelekai and Forte.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:26 AM   #179
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I've found most of what the Judges say (other than Howard), to be idiotic so I just fast forward through them. Actually I FF through everything, but the performances. I can watch the whole 2 hour show in about 20 minutes.
While I agree with you, the judges have a direct influence over who goes through. Usually getting a bad review from Howard or Howie is the kiss of death.. Mel B and Heidi dont seem to wield the same influence over voting tho.

I hope like hell Tone the Chiefroca doesnt go through. He is the epitome of one trick pony. But sadly there just werent that many standouts last night so he probably will. Im going to say we'll see Alexandr Magala, Ciana Pelekai, Forte and Innovative Force go through. If Tone goes through, he probably bumps Innovative Force.

I was really disappointed Marty Brown bombed.. he was one of my early picks to win it.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:49 AM   #180
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Alexandr Magala
Is that the sword swallower guy?

His handstand slip on the wet (lighter fluid?) floor wasn't an act and he was noticeably shaky after that. I have no desire to see him eviscerate himself on national TV.