TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #631
SuperGonz

It was an odd experience.

He came, he saw, he did his thing & left.

No headaches & only twenty minutes.

There is hope (well, nah, he's probably the exception)
SuperGonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:16 AM   #632
drhankz

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsm1980 View Post
"What buzz words should I use when speaking to my [Comcast] cable rep when I'm trying to explain to them what they need to do to properly pair/validate my cablecard?"

Still trying to figure this out, after 5 installers and 15 calls to Comcast. "Initialize" and "cold initiate" haven't done the trick yet.
TYPING is the KEY WORD

They need to Type the Numbers Correctly
drhankz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:51 PM   #633
mattack

Was smsm1980's message deleted?

Anyway, you need to also be calling the CABLE CARD #. I called the main # (the one the cable card tells you to call!), and they told me about a different #:
1-877-405-2298
for cablecard setup
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:26 PM   #634
BarnB

So, Im moving. Actually already moved. Still using Comcast but starting a new service. Do i need a new Cable Card? The second tech just left without being able to pair the new card with the tivo (PremierXL). Hes saying i have to call tivo an have them reset the card pairing or some crap. Any help is greatly appreciated.
BarnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 06:03 PM   #635
a68oliver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnB View Post
So, Im moving. Actually already moved. Still using Comcast but starting a new service. Do i need a new Cable Card? The second tech just left without being able to pair the new card with the tivo (PremierXL). Hes saying i have to call tivo an have them reset the card pairing or some crap. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Did you get your cablecard problem solved? Cablecards are provisioned by Comcast for the particular headend. If you move to a new headend, your cablecard has to be replaced, or at least reprovisioned.

I have no idea what the tech is talking about Tivo reseting the pairing. I have heard stories about cards that had been previously paired with a Tivo not being able to be paired with a new Tivo without first having something special done. That may be what he is talking about, but that is a Comcast issue and not a Tivo issue.
Tivo HD November 2007
a68oliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 05:34 PM   #636
BarnB

No i haven't. Mainly because i haven't had time to reschedule a tech to come out for the 3rd time. I'm going to return the old card along with some other equipment to Comcast an see if they will give me one to try the setup on my own. They probably wont go for that though an will require a tech to come out.
Can I use a cable box with the Premier XL or is the cable card my only option? Thanks for the reply and I will post when something, anything happens.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:48 PM   #637
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
No i haven't. Mainly because i haven't had time to reschedule a tech to come out for the 3rd time. I'm going to return the old card along with some other equipment to Comcast an see if they will give me one to try the setup on my own. They probably wont go for that though an will require a tech to come out.
Can I use a cable box with the Premier XL or is the cable card my only option? Thanks for the reply and I will post when something, anything happens.
Comcast supports self-install, there's no need for a truck roll on a new CableCARD install.

And no, you can not use a set top box with an S3 or higher HD Tivo
Old 07-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #638
daverita

I have the TiVo HD with a cable card. I am having trouble with my Tivo drive and want to replace it myself. Does anyone know if a replaced hard drive will require a repairing and re-validating by the cable company? I have Time Warner Cable in New York City.

Thanks
daverita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 08:45 PM   #639
mattack

AFAIK, if you copy the image from your existing hard drive, it will retain pairing.

But really, all it means is a somewhat infuriating call to the cable company to re-pair it.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 AM   #640
BarnB

Ok So....New card is paired but is not validated. Called back this AM because im only getting basic channels. Rep said she resent signal to validate but it still showing a "?" in the VAL field.
I reran the guided setup after the call but still no digital/prem channels.
2 options i was given if card doesnot validate are to switch out the card or have another tech come back.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:15 AM   #641
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Ok So....New card is paired but is not validated. Called back this AM because im only getting basic channels. Rep said she resent signal to validate but it still showing a "?" in the VAL field.
I reran the guided setup after the call but still no digital/prem channels.
2 options i was given if card doesnot validate are to switch out the card or have another tech come back.
Based on numerous past experiences reported in this forum, the fix will turn out to be something they can do without a tech coming to your home, or replacing a CableCARD. Isn't it fascinating that supposedly their STB's and DVR's use the same CableCARD as a TiVo, but they don't have these problems.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 12:42 PM   #642
BarnB

so ill try another card i guess
Old 08-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #643
BarnB

Success!!! New card worked an no tech appt involved. Thanks to all who inquired. Its been a month but its back.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:48 AM   #644
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick578 View Post
When installing a CableCARD in a supported device, refer to the setup ... FAQs. If I have a CableCARD, do I still need my digital set-top box to get Digital TV?
No. However, if your cable system uses SDV you will need a TA (tuning adapter, another kind of STB) to get all your channels. The trend is toward more systems using SDV because they can pack more channels in that way.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try

pyTivo users: Try
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 02:30 PM   #645
mattack

The Cablecard makes the device *INTO* a "digital set top box".
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 PM   #646
ustavio

I have a TiVoHD with lifetime that I've been using without a cable card for transfers from my Roamio Pro. I would like to stick in a Fios CC and use it to view cable and record again. Back in August it was a pain to pair the Fios CC I pulled out of the TiVoHD with the Roamio and found that it needed a specific card with a specific number to properly handle Cinemax/HBO and h.264 channels like MGM and Sony. I understand that all this was fixed in an update and that ANY Fios CC will work now with the Roamio.

Does the same apply to the TiVoHD? Will any Fios CC pair and handle the encryption issue? Or do I need the same specific CC part number? I am also told that no matter what card I use, the TiVoHD will not deliver h.264 channels. Is this correct? Are there any options other than going back to TWC or buying a new TiVo? Does the Premiere handle h.264? Can I make a case to transfer my lifetime to a newer model?
ustavio is offline   Reply With Quote