TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-25-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
jeremy3721

What should I do with deactivated TiVo premier's?

I deactivated my two premier boxes in January when I signed up for DirecTV and they are just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I still have 2 older series 2 boxed that I pay $6.95 each for but I haven't been using them either and I'm considering cancelling but just hate to lose the cheap pricing.

My question is this, have any new options become available over the past 6 months or so where I might be able to utilize my premier boxes with over the air TV more cheaply than paying $15 a month each? It's just not worth it at more than $10 a month (especially since they aren't compatible with DirecTV, and I really don't see why TiVo wouldn't let me transfer my $6.95 plans over. I've already paid a small mint for the boxes plus a couple of years worth of service at $20 a pop, per month for each. Anyway just deciding on trying to figure something out or I might just deactivate it all and throw it in the trash if there's not a reasonably priced option.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:16 PM   #2
Dan203
Super Moderator

Actually there is a special price for boxes setup for OTA only. I think it's $10/mo

Edit: That may have been a limited time promo thing. You'd have to call to find out for sure.

Edit2: Some people have convinced TiVo CSRs to transfer their old $6.95/mo accounts to Premiere units. You might want to try that first.
Dan203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
MeInDallas

Even if you dont want to reactivate them at this time, there was an offer at one time (end of 2012) that people got in email for a $50 lifetime on old boxes. You might just wanna wait that out and see if it comes around again, especially since there are new boxes supposed to come out this fall. Might be worth the wait. I wouldnt throw anything away like that.
MeInDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:52 PM   #4
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Even if you dont want to reactivate them at this time, there was an offer at one time (end of 2012) that people got in email for a $50 lifetime on old boxes. You might just wanna wait that out and see if it comes around again, especially since there are new boxes supposed to come out this fall. Might be worth the wait. I wouldnt throw anything away like that.
$99 Lifetime on an old TiVo I have seen but $50 ?? I never heard of that low a price, did I miss this offer??

Old 07-25-2013, 09:08 PM   #5
jeremy3721

I've never received any kind of offer like these from TiVo and been when them since the beginning. I have 3 deactivated boxes sitting around and the two series 2 that are still activated but not being used. Maybe if I call with the intention of finally canceling the last two they'll make me an offer to keep me as a customer.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:09 PM   #6
MeInDallas

I guess you did. I remember these 2 threads on it.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...+tivo+lifetime

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...d.php?t=500034
Old 07-25-2013, 09:16 PM   #7
MeInDallas

Quote:
Originally Posted by lessd View Post
$99 Lifetime on an old TiVo I have seen but $50 ?? I never heard of that low a price, did I miss this offer??
Surely you mustve known about it because you posted in that second thread, and I even posted a screenshot of the email offer they sent me

I know I know, it was a long time ago
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
mattack

You should have gone lifetime!
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:27 PM   #9
jeremy3721

Wasn't possible when I originally bought the boxes. They weren't cheap at the time.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:50 AM   #10
lessd

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeInDallas View Post
Surely you mustve known about it because you posted in that second thread, and I even posted a screenshot of the email offer they sent me

I know I know, it was a long time ago
Getting old, I now remember if you had a monthly service (on some TiVos) you could xfer the monthly to a $49 lifetime..sorry.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:29 PM   #11
moyekj

I have a perfectly functional lifetime S3 OLED unit collecting dust in a closet and once in a while TiVo sends a "we miss you" email urging to upgrade to series 4, but never include any irresistible offers.
Cox - Motorola CableCards & TAs
Slingbox 350 via TiVo Mini & TiVo Stream for remote viewing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
moyekj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:52 PM   #12
jeremy3721

Yeah, I searched through gmail last night to see if I missed anything. The only offers I found were promotions to upgrade my boxes.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
HarperVision

I received and took them up on the $49 Lifetime offer on my TiVo HD, so it was real.
HarperVision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 01:18 PM   #14
spaldingclan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan203 View Post
Actually there is a special price for boxes setup for OTA only. I think it's $10/mo

Edit: That may have been a limited time promo thing. You'd have to call to find out for sure.

Edit2: Some people have convinced TiVo CSRs to transfer their old $6.95/mo accounts to Premiere units. You might want to try that first.
there's a $10/month OTA only option?
spaldingclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 02:48 PM   #15
atmuscarella

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaldingclan View Post
there's a $10/month OTA only option?
It was a short (about 3-4 months?) promotion that TiVo had around the same time the CM7400 OTA DVR was being released. The deal was a $99 Premiere with $10/mo service for OTA only. The CM7400 ended up not being a really good OTA DVR and the promotion ended and has not come back.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:38 AM   #16
jeremy3721

Can anyone confirm they were able to get their premier added to a $6.95 a month plan? I just don't see how I can pay more than $10 per month.
Old 07-30-2013, 11:56 AM   #17
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
Can anyone confirm they were able to get their premier added to a $6.95 a month plan? I just don't see how I can pay more than $10 per month.
There have been multiple threads where the $6.95 plan has been able to be assigned to a Premiere, but it's not written in stone.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #18
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I have a 320gb Premiere on an old $6.95 plan. It took a phone call to TiVo to get it done.
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 07:25 PM   #19
jeremy3721

I guess I suck at searching.

I've contacted TiVo by phone now 4 different times over the year with no luck. Did you talk to the regular customer service number or were you escalated?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:28 PM   #20
Arcady
Stargate Fan

I just talked to the first guy that answered and told him I wanted to move my $6.95 plan from a TiVo HD to a Premiere, and I also bought $99 lifetime for the HD at the same time. After it was set up, I sold the HD on eBay. Maybe the lifetime purchase helped?
Two TiVo Minis

Left DirecTV 4/15/07. Left TWC 8/8/11. Now on Comcast Xfinity.
Arcady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 09:52 PM   #21
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcady View Post
I just talked to the first guy that answered and told him I wanted to move my $6.95 plan from a TiVo HD to a Premiere, and I also bought $99 lifetime for the HD at the same time. After it was set up, I sold the HD on eBay. Maybe the lifetime purchase helped?
Did you have to buy the Premiere through TiVo, and did you have to pay full MSRP (not the subsidized price they advertise)?

The stories I've heard of people moving their grandfathered subs to a Premiere involved having to do both of the above.

And there is this, a current screen shot of TiVo's service plan options for the current 2 tuner Premiere:

OP, you just need to call TiVo and mention what I highlighted in the above screen shot.
First, that you want a no commitment plan by telling him/her that you would be willing to pay full price for the Premiere, and then mention that you would like to move the sub from your TivoHD to that new Premiere.
Don't take no for a first answer. Ask to be elevated to a supervisor. Be a squeaky wheel.
Be firm, but be nice about it if you can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TiVo service plan.JPG (67.6 KB, 112 views)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F*CK CANCER!

Last edited by steve614 : 07-30-2013 at 10:02 PM.
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 10:33 PM   #22
shwru980r

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy3721 View Post
I deactivated my two premier boxes in January when I signed up for DirecTV and they are just sitting on the shelf collecting dust. I still have 2 older series 2 boxed that I pay $6.95 each for but I haven't been using them either and I'm considering cancelling but just hate to lose the cheap pricing.

It doesn't make sense to pay a monthly subscription on an S2, because you can buy used lifetime S2's for around $100 or less. Call Tivo and tell them to either cancel the two S2 subscriptions or to transfer the premieres to the $6.95 plan. Let Tivo make the decision to lose or retain your business.
Humax DRT800-Lifetime-OTA
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Series 2-Lifetime-Cable
Toshiba SD-H400-Basic-Cable
shwru980r is offline   Reply With Quote