TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Underground Playground > TiVo Upgrade Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2013, 04:38 AM   #1381
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmstr33 View Post
Unitron, thanks so much for posting the above links to the for the TCD648250B!

What would be the easiest way to setup a brand new 2TB WD AVGP HDD with the above image? I have a Windows 7 box that I plan to use to load up the drive.

I am getting an S3 that was already upgraded to 1Tb using WinMFS and and contemplating which would be easier:
1) Using the above image and loading it directly onto the new 2TB drive
or
2) Following Lussie's (Kevin's) helpful post in the 'Drive Expansion and Drive Upgrade FAQ Thread' and copy/expand the 1TB->2TB

Since I'll be the new owner, I have no intentions of keeping whatever is on the unit. I want to start fresh with at 2TB drive in the easiest way possible.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!
I no longer get reply notification emails, so didn't see your post until just now.

Use the WD diagnostic software to run the long test on that 2TB drive before putting it into service.

While you're doing that, make sure the 1TB is running version 11.0k (or later) of the TiVo software (look in system information).

If it's an earlier version than k, let it connect to TiVo until it updates.

That's necessary for it to be able to handle a 2TB drive.

Then take the 1TB drive and the 2TB drive, hook them up to a PC running XP or later with WinMFS loaded, boot into Windows, open WinMFS, select the 1TB drive, click on mfscopy, tell it the 2TB is the target.

If it offers you the chance to NOT use the "optimized" format/layout for partitions, DO NOT accept that offer.

You can increase the swap partition size if you want to--the way I see it, can't hurt, might help someday down the road, but others don't bother and seem to be getting along okay. I set it to 1000 or 1024

It'll take a while for mfscopy to finish, and it may well look like it's frozen, but it's not, just let it run 'til it finishes.

It'll say you have extra space and do you want to expand.

Say no.

Then select the 2TB.

Then click on mfsinfo, and make sure everything looks okay.

There will be a big Apple Free partition.

Then click on mfsadd to expand into that space.

For some reason you have to do it in two steps instead of the one step it offers to you.

The reason to copy the 1TB is that it already knows the TiVo Service Number of the TiVo and won't have to go through the error 51 fixing process the way you'd have to with using someone else's image.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 12:32 PM   #1382
jrmstr33

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitron View Post
I no longer get reply notification emails, so didn't see your post until just now.

Use the WD diagnostic software to run the long test on that 2TB drive before putting it into service.

While you're doing that, make sure the 1TB is running version 11.0k (or later) of the TiVo software (look in system information).

If it's an earlier version than k, let it connect to TiVo until it updates.

That's necessary for it to be able to handle a 2TB drive.

Then take the 1TB drive and the 2TB drive, hook them up to a PC running XP or later with WinMFS loaded, boot into Windows, open WinMFS, select the 1TB drive, click on mfscopy, tell it the 2TB is the target.

If it offers you the chance to NOT use the "optimized" format/layout for partitions, DO NOT accept that offer.

You can increase the swap partition size if you want to--the way I see it, can't hurt, might help someday down the road, but others don't bother and seem to be getting along okay. I set it to 1000 or 1024

It'll take a while for mfscopy to finish, and it may well look like it's frozen, but it's not, just let it run 'til it finishes.

It'll say you have extra space and do you want to expand.

Say no.

Then select the 2TB.

Then click on mfsinfo, and make sure everything looks okay.

There will be a big Apple Free partition.

Then click on mfsadd to expand into that space.

For some reason you have to do it in two steps instead of the one step it offers to you.

The reason to copy the 1TB is that it already knows the TiVo Service Number of the TiVo and won't have to go through the error 51 fixing process the way you'd have to with using someone else's image.
Thank you so much, unitron! This is extremely helpful. Will report back once I get the unit and the drive up and running. Quick q- Any need to follow any of Lussie's steps using iBored after the above?
jrmstr33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:21 PM   #1383
cxreixen

I have tried 3 different HDD's now along with different OS's Windows 7 and Vista. It still hangs at the end where it says "restoring media partitions". It freezes/crashes. It doesn't give me the option to wait until program responds. It just force closes. Someone please help me. What am I doing wrong?
cxreixen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 PM   #1384
lpwcomp

What are the drive models to which you are trying to restore the image?

"Jessica Fletcher visits Midsomer. Carnage ensues!"
lpwcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #1385
cxreixen

I have tried a IDE Maxtor 80GB, Western Digital's 40GB and 80GB. They all fail once WinMFS gets to the end.
Old 07-16-2013, 05:16 PM   #1386
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxreixen View Post
I have tried a IDE Maxtor 80GB, Western Digital's 40GB and 80GB. They all fail once WinMFS gets to the end.
According to this, that model came with an 80GB hard drive, so the 40GB is definitely too small and the 80GBs are probably slightly too small. Do you have a larger hd you can try, say a 120GB?

Old 07-16-2013, 05:35 PM   #1387
cxreixen

I haven't tried a larger drive yet. I will in a little bit. Would the SD - H400 start without a HDD inside of it? I know it wouldn't completely but I mean like would the display on the right with the time show up regardless? When I plug the system in the fan starts spinning as soon as it gets power but nothing else turns on, can't eject disk or anything. Is it a completely dead system or is the lack of HDD preventing everything from running?
Old 07-16-2013, 05:42 PM   #1388
ggieseke

Typically, the first Please Wait screen comes from the motherboard and everything else needs a working hard drive with the correct image.

If you get any image at all the motherboad is probably OK.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 07:23 PM   #1389
cxreixen

Yes, it shows up on screen as Please Wait!. Thank you!

I tried a Western Digital 320GB IDE and it fails in the end as well. I don't understand what I am doing wrong? Do I need to set up the HDD any paticular way before running WinMFS. Do I need to do something in CMD/Diskpart first?
Old 07-16-2013, 08:52 PM   #1390
lpwcomp

Quote:
Yes, it shows up on screen as Please Wait!. Thank you!

I tried a Western Digital 320GB IDE and it fails in the end as well. I don't understand what I am doing wrong? Do I need to set up the HDD any paticular way before running WinMFS. Do I need to do something in CMD/Diskpart first?
No, no preparation of the disk should bee required. My only guess is that there is something wrong with the image file. From where exactly did you get it? When I search this thread for H400, all I see is posts asking for one, saying they don't have one, and one saying PM them for access to one.

You might want to run the manufacturers diagnostics to make sure the h/w is working properly.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #1391
cxreixen

I got it from here. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...53#post9052253

I am thinking the same thing, the image file must be no good. Is there anywhere I can find another copy/link for SD-H400? I looked everywhere, cant find another!
Old 07-16-2013, 09:30 PM   #1392
lpwcomp

Quote:
I got it from here. http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...53#post9052253

I am thinking the same thing, the image file must be no good. Is there anywhere I can find another copy/link for SD-H400? I looked everywhere, cant find another!
Maybe you should PM motorcycle_rider and see if he has any ideas. You might inform him that two other users have reported no joy with that image and I see no reports of success.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:35 PM   #1393
cxreixen

I can't send any PM's yet. lol Need 10 posts before I am able to.
Old 07-16-2013, 09:36 PM   #1394
cxreixen

Thank you so much for trying to help me!
Old 07-16-2013, 11:46 PM   #1395
lpwcomp

Quote:
Thank you so much for trying to help me!
You're quite welcome. I looked a little further and did find one person who was able to use the image successfully - Orthanos. Reading the post here, what you might try is fdisk and delete any existing partitions on the disk, then do the restore from the .tbk file.

Old 07-17-2013, 02:04 AM   #1396
unitron

Quote:
Thank you so much, unitron! This is extremely helpful. Will report back once I get the unit and the drive up and running. Quick q- Any need to follow any of Lussie's steps using iBored after the above?
iBored, as I recall, is a hex editor, and it sounds like you aren't knowledgeable enough to use one.

I say that because I'm not sure I am, and I get the impression that I know more than you in this particular area.

Since I've upgraded both an S3 and an S3 HD to 2TB drives and didn't use anything except the WD long test and WinMFS, I'm pretty sure you don't need to do any hex editing.

Just make sure you're already running 11.0k or higher so that the TiVo can handle a 2TB drive.

(apparently there's a version--11.0m--just now being rolled out slowly)

Old 07-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #1397
wsware

Looking for a TCD540 image. Harddrive died. And what is the current software I should use to build a new one?
Old 07-18-2013, 04:55 PM   #1398
ThAbtO
TiVoholic by the bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsware View Post
Looking for a TCD540 image. Harddrive died. And what is the current software I should use to build a new one?
Go back a few pages and find the posts. Or "Search this thread" and enter "540." There is images for MFSLive (.bak) and WinMFS (.tbk).

~~~~~

The TiVo Apocalypse begins on Sat 2013 Feb 16 00:00 GMT!
ThAbtO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:13 PM   #1399
jrmstr33

Quote:
iBored, as I recall, is a hex editor, and it sounds like you aren't knowledgeable enough to use one.

I say that because I'm not sure I am, and I get the impression that I know more than you in this particular area.

Since I've upgraded both an S3 and an S3 HD to 2TB drives and didn't use anything except the WD long test and WinMFS, I'm pretty sure you don't need to do any hex editing.

Just make sure you're already running 11.0k or higher so that the TiVo can handle a 2TB drive.

(apparently there's a version--11.0m--just now being rolled out slowly)
Just an update.. Success with 318 hours! After performing a C&DE and upgrading to 11.0k, the MFSCopy transfer surprisingly took under 5 minutes!! Granted, I have a N40L server that I plugged the two SATA drives directly to, but I was a little weary at first. As advised, I did the long diagnostic test and didn't have to mess with iBored. (I've played with hex editors in my engineering days, but those are long over ;-))

Thank you so much unitron for the step by step. I followed it to a T and just made sure it was MFSSupersize was on (which it was).
Old 07-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #1400
unitron

Quote:
Just an update.. Success with 318 hours! After performing a C&DE and upgrading to 11.0k, the MFSCopy transfer surprisingly took under 5 minutes!! Granted, I have a N40L server that I plugged the two SATA drives directly to, but I was a little weary at first. As advised, I did the long diagnostic test and didn't have to mess with iBored. (I've played with hex editors in my engineering days, but those are long over ;-))

Thank you so much unitron for the step by step. I followed it to a T and just made sure it was MFSSupersize was on (which it was).
Glad to hear it all went well.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:37 PM   #1401
faithie999

Hr10-250

i have read this whole thread, so i assume the answer is "no", but...

does anyone have an HR10-250 image?

thanks in advance
faithie999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #1402
jrmstr33

Quote:
Glad to hear it all went well.
Hi unitron, in your experience is it normal for shows to show an exclamation mark on a freshly upgraded 2TB drive with no shows? Have my season passes setup to keep until needed and then changed to keep until I delete.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:23 AM   #1403
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
I could also use an HR10 image. Thanks.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:00 PM   #1404
RickySharon

My tivo wont update to new software please help. . Does anyone have a directivo rca dvr80 image with 6.4a latest update for winmfs tbk file ? Please please help. Thanks
RickySharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #1405
unitron

Quote:
Hi unitron, in your experience is it normal for shows to show an exclamation mark on a freshly upgraded 2TB drive with no shows? Have my season passes setup to keep until needed and then changed to keep until I delete.
I assume you're talking about taking a TiVo with a new 2TB drive and no shows on it and then recording some shows and immediately getting an exclamation point in the yellow circle?

Is this before or after setting up any season passes?

I've never really been able to discern any rhyme or reason to the TiVo "what to keep how long" decisions.

I've seen shows permanently deleted the next day and stuff in the Recently Deleted folder left untouched despite being months old.

My main gripe with TiVo is not being able to set KUID as the default whenever you hit record the way you can set a default recording quality.

Suggest you make all SPs KUID, and when setting up one-shot recordings in advance take the annoying extra steps to set Options to KUID, and when you find something you want and hit record right then before the 30 minute cache times out, go back and set it to KUID asap as well.

You can do that while it's recording.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:04 AM   #1406
faithie999

troubleshooting a dead HR10-250

there apparently are no images for the HR10-250 floating around.

i rescued a unit from the "recycle" pile at the town dump.

it stalls on the Powering Up screen--it doesn't appear to reboot every minute or so as i have read that other "dead" units do.

i attached the HD to my PC and booted into Win7, but bios doesn't recognize the drive, so WINMfs (nor a low-level formatting tool, either) doesn't see the drive. the drive does spin up.

before i spring for InstantCake, is there anything i can do to check for additional possible causes of failure? all the capacitors look OK. having said that, since the HD is profoundly dead, i think the odds of a new drive and InstantCake working are pretty good. too bad there's no "try before you buy" but there is obviously no way of policing that.

if i do get it running, will it work with a SWM-3 dish, or do i need to resurrect my old oval 3-lnb dish?

thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #1407
jmbach

Did you run WinMFS as an administrator.
Also see if DvrBARS can back it up.
Old 07-25-2013, 10:31 AM   #1408
lpwcomp

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmbach View Post
Did you run WinMFS as an administrator.
Also see if DvrBARS can back it up.
If the h/w doesn't see the drive, neither one of those options will help.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:23 AM   #1409
faithie999

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpwcomp View Post
If the h/w doesn't see the drive, neither one of those options will help.
Yes, that's what I was trying to say in my post.

What I'm trying to learn from those of you with lots of experience is if there are other common failure causes for an HR10 other than bad drive and bad caps.

If there are not other common failure reasons then I will be more tempted to spring for instantcake.

Am i right that:

The hr10 won't work with a SWM dish

And

There is no programming left on sat 110 and 119, and that the programming on 101 is SD?

Thanks
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #1410
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
The HR10 will not work with a SWM dish. As far as I know, all the programming the HR10 can receive is on the 101 satellite.

Steve