TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-16-2013, 10:43 AM   #1
mwhip
All better

Ray Donovan S1 thread *Spoilers*

Seeing as we only had a episode 1 thread and not one for 2 or 3 I think a whole season will suffice.

I really like this show so far. The characters are deep and complex and Ray is just a great character.

His support staff is mysterious as well, what is up with the chick? Is she a lesbian? The Russian guy is just a complete bad ass and liked when Ray tried to punch him and he just turned it around on him. Good to have a guy like that on your side.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 01:21 PM   #2
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

I believe Avi is Israeli, not Russian

My wife and I really like this too, though she did accidentally call it Roy Orbison yesterday.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Look at the cast...

Denise "Tasha Yarr" Crosby is Ezra's mistress.

Ask the FBI guy if you can try his tasty burger. WHAT? WHAT ain't no language I know. Do they speak English on "What?"
He also knows where Jimmy Hoffa is.

You notice who Terry's curly-haired nurse new date is? It took me a few weeks to place her. No fair checking IMDB. I didn't.

That Mickey is a real card, telling butt rape jokes to victims. "A mouth is a mouth"
"You killed the wrong priest."

There must be a Showtime rule that every gay guy knows every other one as on Shameless. (The closet Mr. Box Office is texting Ray's kid, who told Grandpa he wasn't gay.)
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MikeAndrews : 07-16-2013 at 02:21 PM.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
VegasVic
Craps Player

I like the show for the most part. Mickey is way over the top, almost a cartoon character, I like Voight and I imagine he enjoys hamming it up.

Spoiler:
I made the mistake of looking up someone on IMDB. I should have known better. Seeing how many episodes this season each character appears in can give you a hint of who may live and who may not live. It's not foolproof, some characters may just not appear in every episode but it's a possible spoiler anyway. If someone has been in every episode so far and you see there are only in 5 for the season it could mean... Many people don't care about spoilers, but I do. I never watch previews, don't like knowing anything about what's coming up

Old 07-16-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
You notice who Terry's curly-haired nurse new date is? It took me a few weeks to place her. No fair checking IMDB. I didn't.
I only figured it out because I had watched "The Bridge" right before the last episode and Ted Levine is in "The Bridge" so it was fresh on my mind.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 PM   #6
pmyers

I'm enjoying the show more and more each episode.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
TIVO_GUY_HERE
I miss the ocean

It's been picked up for Season 2
TIVO_GUY_HERE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasVic View Post
I like the show for the most part. Mickey is way over the top, almost a cartoon character, I like Voight and I imagine he enjoys hamming it up.
To the point where, for me, it hurts the show. Anybody as obnoxious and stupid as Mickey is could never have survived in the underworld to be Voight's age.
Quote:
Spoiler:
I made the mistake of looking up someone on IMDB. I should have known better. Seeing how many episodes this season each character appears in can give you a hint of who may live and who may not live. It's not foolproof, some characters may just not appear in every episode but it's a possible spoiler anyway. If someone has been in every episode so far and you see there are only in 5 for the season it could mean... Many people don't care about spoilers, but I do. I never watch previews, don't like knowing anything about what's coming up
As a point of reference, several of the regular cast members who were in this episode (1x03) are not listed on IMDB, so I wouldn't read too much into their credits or lack of same. E.g., according to IMDB Bunchy wasn't in this episode.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #9
Anubys
KMT Soccer Playa

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post

That Mickey is a real card, telling butt rape jokes to victims. "A mouth is a mouth"
"You killed the wrong priest."

There must be a Showtime rule that every gay guy knows every other one as on Shameless. (The closet Mr. Box Office is texting Ray's kid, who told Grandpa he wasn't gay.)
You have to admit, though, the "that's a big word for an 8-year old" was pretty funny!

I did not read into this that the kid is gay. Yes, the famous guy might be a predator (which is weird since he seems to like adults well enough), but Ray's kid seems to be just a regular kid in awe of the big action hero actor. Pedophiles don't target gay children.
Anubys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:51 PM   #10
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

I don't get the love for Mickey. I doubt that teenagers would be all excited to meet an old man they'd never met who just got out of prison after 20 years. The same goes for Mom, especially when she knows that Ray absolutely hates the guy.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #11
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubys View Post
You have to admit, though, the "that's a big word for an 8-year old" was pretty funny!

I did not read into this that the kid is gay. Yes, the famous guy might be a predator (which is weird since he seems to like adults well enough), but Ray's kid seems to be just a regular kid in awe of the big action hero actor. Pedophiles don't target gay children.
I don't think the kid is gay, but I do think he'll accept Mickey's words "a mouth is a mouth" and eventually do something he wouldn't otherwise do with the actor.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:52 PM   #12
VegasVic
Craps Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I don't get the love for Mickey. I doubt that teenagers would be all excited to meet an old man they'd never met who just got out of prison after 20 years. The same goes for Mom, especially when she knows that Ray absolutely hates the guy.
Mickey was giving out a lot of cash. Teens love that
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Mickey was giving out a lot of cash. Teens love that
The kid was begging to be with the old man long before he started getting generous.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:17 PM   #14
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

What is the complain here, because I must not understand it. You are finding it surprising that someone wants to meet their grandfather and/or that a wife who has been cordially corresponding via letter with her father in law wants to meet him?
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:38 PM   #15
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

After EP3 we see that the kid didn't know that Tommy "is a pervert."

That kid is as worthless scum and snotty as his dad. He deserved worse.

There must a genre for these dramas that hint plot points that they reveal in flashbacks as they go along. We keep getting hints of plot points that we don't know about and later explanations.

Who was the girl who was shot, and who really shot her? Musta been that other actor. Ezra wants to confess. They must have set up Mickey as the killer.

Where did Mickey steal the $1/2 million from and why did his GF need it?

How did she keep Mickey's Caddy in running condition for 15 years?

I would have sworn that she was Gladys Knight.

Nice to see Hutch, or it Starsky?
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:32 PM   #16
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
I don't get the love for Mickey....The same goes for Mom, especially when she knows that Ray absolutely hates the guy.
I agree about the mom/wife. I guess Ray didn't disclose enough information to her about what his dad did, to get her on board with him.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 05:57 PM   #17
danielhart
Nerp Nerp

The scene at the end with Voight dancing in the gay bar was priceless..not a big Voight fan as far as real life, but the dude can act. Gotta give him that.

This show is developing nicely - definitely a keeper.
danielhart is offline   Reply With Quote