Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #121
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
Terry Fador is doing pretty good though (estimated net worth $100 million)
Hence my "for the most part" clarifier. Terry's the exception to the rule though. Other than him and Jackie Evancho, who didn't win and was already a professional, the rest of the winning singers have had horrible album sales. Other than a half time performance at an NBA game, I haven't seen Olate Dogs mentioned anywhere this year.
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #122
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

10% even compunded annually makes the current value less than $25,000. No one would be willing to accept less than one year's return on the time payment, I'd suspect.
pdhenry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #123
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
10% even compunded annually makes the current value less than $25,000. No one would be willing to accept less than one year's return on the time payment, I'd suspect.
that doesn't make sense to me - did you drop a zero? The PV of 25k a year for 40 years at 10% is $244 thousand.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:28 AM   #124
morac
Cat God

Quote:
It depends. $25,000 forty years from now is going to worth a lot less than $25,000 today. With good interest rates, lump sum could be worth more overall. The major hit is the higher tax rate you pay with a lump sum payment.

For lotteries, lump sum payouts are usually around 60% of the total. 25% is taken for federal tax, plus whatever state tax there is, so $400,000 is a good ballpark after tax figure for a million dollar lottery. Most lotteries are annualized over 25 to 30 years though, so the AGT payout is likely to be lower.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:48 AM   #125
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Originally Posted by late for dinner View Post
that doesn't make sense to me - did you drop a zero? The PV of 25k a year for 40 years at 10% is $244 thousand.
I blame the calculator that I randomly chose (linked above).

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
It depends. $25,000 forty years from now is going to worth a lot less than $25,000 today.
Enthusiastically agreed, but 25,000 lump sum vs. 25,000 per year?
Old 07-24-2013, 12:17 PM   #126
Donbadabon
Geocacher

It is 2013 and we still can't sing 'get high with a little help from my friends' on tv. Crazy.

Let's spend some time together.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #127
morac
Cat God

Quote:
I blame the calculator that I randomly chose (linked above).

Enthusiastically agreed, but 25,000 lump sum vs. 25,000 per year?
I agree, there's no way the lump sum could be $25,000.
Old 07-24-2013, 01:26 PM   #128
late for dinner
Always Hungry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I agree, there's no way the lump sum could be $25,000.
4 % disc rate 494,819
6 % disc rate 376,157
8 % disc rate 298,115
10 % disc rate 244,476

before taxes
Old 07-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #129
nlsinger
w00tever

The show takes a significant agent's fee if you get gigs after the show.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mr.Slowplay was the MVP for sure... not his fault that nlsinger's charm and cunning had him fooled. :P --MickeS
nlsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:01 PM   #130
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Just finished watching last night's live show and I want to get my thoughts out before reading others and seeing any results:

Anna Christine - Ok performance but boring song.

Tellavision - Lame! Why did Howie stand up for that? I agreed with Howard.

American Hitmen - I like these guys, but I really didn't like that performance much. When Heidi said, "I want it harder", I wondered if she hears herself when she says things like that.

Special Head - He didn't disappear, his illumination went dark, they moved his prop offstage and he ran to the facade/balcony/whatever. I hate his gimmick and don't care for his presentation. Extremely dangerous??? Please! Glad the judges pretty saw it the same way.

Fresh Faces - Cute, yes. You work hard and are to be commended, but this is not a million dollar act. Your 15 minutes is over for now.

Collins Key - I was amazed and have NO clue about how he did that one! Definitely through to the semis.

Kevin Downey Jr - Dud! I hate this guys act from delivery to material. I would never pay to see this guy. This is the first time tonight my opinion is diametrically opposed to Howard's opinion.

Aarilyn & Izzy - Buh-bye!

Alexandria the Great - Might get through by default depending on how the rest of the night plays out. The narrative needs a LOT of work if it's supposed to add to the act.

KriStef - Kind of fun and very impressive. Their strength and athleticism amazes me.

Hype - Not sure what to think. I liked the old Gene Kelly-style music for a change of pace. Talented but not really a WOW performance.

Branden James - I know this is going come out wrong, but I am so over the "I'm gay, I need acceptance" having to play out on a national stage. Get on with your talent already. That said, there is something about the tone if his voice that just bugs the crap out of me. I don't see him as a million dollar talent, either.

I jotted my comments on paper before listening to the judges and was surprised that I mostly agreed with a lot of theirs.

If it were up to me the four going through would be Collins Key, KriStef, American Hitmen and I suppose Hype, or maybe Anna Christne (though I don't think either one will go much farther).

Now off to watch the results show!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:02 PM   #131
morac
Cat God

Can't say I'm surprised by the results.

Also they should just vote 2 and 2 every results show and "let America decide".
Old 07-24-2013, 10:45 PM   #132
Jayjoans

Collins Key= Watch when he sets the box down on the ladder, he doesn't just set it down, he "clicks" it into place. Offstage a person writes down the answers on the paper and installs it in the top step while he's making happy talk by going over each person's answers again. It's rolled up and then compressed into an oval to fit in the ladder. When he reaches into the box and removes it from the hiding place, it expands to a circle again, looking much too big to have come out of the ladder.

Easy peasy.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 05:53 AM   #133
MScottC

Did anyone else notice an audio level issue with last night's results show? I had to double my audio level just to bring it to a reasonable level, then commercials were blasting. WNBC in NYC over Comcast.
MScottC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 06:28 AM   #134
JLucPicard

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by MScottC View Post
Did anyone else notice an audio level issue with last night's results show? I had to double my audio level just to bring it to a reasonable level, then commercials were blasting. WNBC in NYC over Comcast.
I had the same issue (KARE on DirecTV). Coming out of FF at the commercial breaks and hitting the tail end of the commercial - yowza! That was loud!
JLucPicard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #135
Zephyr

Quote:
Yea, we're in a hotel in DE which further throttles the sound at about 60% so we could barely hear it. Worse, the show was so full of (noisier) commercials, I simply went to bed without surviving to the end.
Zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 08:32 AM   #136
scsiguy72
OTA Only..Free TV

Same thing in SF bay area. I had the sound at 60 (40 is average) and the commercials were screaming loud. Very annoying having adjust the volume up and down all night

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
scsiguy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:34 AM   #137
pmyers

And that's why you don't have 4 judges....
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:44 AM   #138
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
this. as soon as Nick said the judges were going to decide, I thought to myself that it was going to be a tie.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #139
getreal
postcrastinator

I was surprised that American Hitmen went out so soon!

I can't stand the sound on all of these talent shows where the producers encourage the youngsters in the audience to scream and clap rhythmically throughout performances. It makes me wonder how the judges, who are only feet from the audience, can hear anything!

getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:22 AM   #140
pmyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I was surprised that American Hitmen went out so soon!..
What's even more surprising was that Howard (who has been adament about finding a band) picked that girl over them....and I thought she did terrible.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #141
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
At least they didn't say in advance who was 4th in the voting and who was 5th (I think they used to in the past) - otherwise it might influence the voting.

Also, I am slightly surprised somebody (say, oh, I don't know, how about, the judge who reportedly demanded that the show move to the New York area because he didn't want to fly back and forth to do the show and his radio show) didn't "request" that his vote count double in case of a tie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I was surprised that American Hitmen went out so soon!
Something tells me they'll be back on August 27, which, if I counted correctly, is when the Wild Card round should be. In fact, I'm a little surprised there isn't a rule that says that each week's "top five" act that isn't voted through to the semi-finals automatically qualifies for the Wild Card round.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:54 AM   #142
jamesbobo
with a grain of salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayjoans View Post
Collins Key= Watch when he sets the box down on the ladder, he doesn't just set it down, he "clicks" it into place. Offstage a person writes down the answers on the paper and installs it in the top step while he's making happy talk by going over each person's answers again. It's rolled up and then compressed into an oval to fit in the ladder. When he reaches into the box and removes it from the hiding place, it expands to a circle again, looking much too big to have come out of the ladder.
Yes. There is really no need for someone to come offstage other then the fact that the responses are written offstage and someone has to get it to the box.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:06 PM   #143
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

The responses were removed from within a clear cylinder inside the box - it's not clear how it would have gone from inside the top step to inside the cylinder but I agree that that's the most likely scenario.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #144
Jayjoans

The cylinder is flexible too, but one's assumption is that it's a hard round cylinder. I noticed during the replay last night that the paper had actually creased to some degree when he unfolded it, it wasn't a flat sheet of paper.

I'd also like to add that his mannerisms are very annoying, the cheesy grin, the open mouth look of complete amazement every time they clap for him, the weepy eyes, the open mouth guffawing at the slightest hint of comedy is extremely bothersome. I get the sense that he's pretty proud of himself and actually does think he's the hippest, most handsome young magician on the planet. I also assume that dad is his assistant, always backstage.
Jayjoans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:59 PM   #145
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
I'd also like to add that his mannerisms are very annoying, the cheesy grin, the open mouth look of complete amazement every time they clap for him, the weepy eyes, the open mouth guffawing at the slightest hint of comedy is extremely bothersome.
Yeah... It was sweet at first when it appeared to be genuine and heartfelt. It's starting to seem deliberately put on now.

No matter how the contest ends up for him though, he's going to be waist-deep in 'tang for the foreseeable future....

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:40 PM   #146
mcb08
Hoya for life!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
Yeah... It was sweet at first when it appeared to be genuine and heartfelt. It's starting to seem deliberately put on now.

No matter how the contest ends up for him though, he's going to be waist-deep in 'tang for the foreseeable future....

Had to be done.
Old 07-26-2013, 07:11 AM   #147
loubob57
Cancer sucks!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:

Easy peasy.
I definitely noticed that the box was clicked into place onto the top step.

Quote:
OTA WFAA in DFW. I usually have my receiver at -20dB but had to crank it to like -8dB. So yes the audio was unusually quiet.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #148
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Ive rewatched this about 20 times and I dont see how they could come out of the ladder. The reason is because of the lid. If it was compressed, the lid would have had to compress too and I dont think it would have stayed on. I can see the tube compressing like you guys say but not the lid.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:48 AM   #149
crowtoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Ive rewatched this about 20 times and I dont see how they could come out of the ladder. The reason is because of the lid. If it was compressed, the lid would have had to compress too and I dont think it would have stayed on. I can see the tube compressing like you guys say but not the lid.
When he grabs the box, he definitely does "something" with his left hand. It looks like he is reaching into the box or through the box and grabbing the paper from the ladder with his left hand. Something is going on there, I just can't figure out exactly what.

Chris
crowtoo@gmail.com
crowtoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 10:50 AM   #150
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowtoo View Post
When he grabs the box, he definitely does "something" with his left hand. It looks like he is reaching into the box or through the box and grabbing the paper from the ladder with his left hand. Something is going on there, I just can't figure out exactly what.

Chris
crowtoo@gmail.com
I think he's just tripping the lever for whatever mechanism delivers the tube into the box (probably through the bottom).

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote