TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #1
jttehall

Old Series 1

Thought I might post what I did with my two old Tivo's. I have a series 1 Sony and also a Philips 112. The Sony 's hard drive started acting up after just 13 years. Haha. It has a lifetime subscription and I use it in my basement work out room. So thought about weekknees but wasn't sure the 100 bucks was worth keeping it going. So I had the Philips sitting in a closet for quite a few years. I know the capacity is low but it's not that important. So I pulled the hard drive out of both of them and installed the Phillips in the Sony. Booted right up and once I did the guide set up the lifetime subscription is working and no more skipping and audio screw ups.
jttehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:36 AM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by jttehall View Post
Thought I might post what I did with my two old Tivo's. I have a series 1 Sony and also a Philips 112. The Sony 's hard drive started acting up after just 13 years. Haha. It has a lifetime subscription and I use it in my basement work out room. So thought about weekknees but wasn't sure the 100 bucks was worth keeping it going. So I had the Philips sitting in a closet for quite a few years. I know the capacity is low but it's not that important. So I pulled the hard drive out of both of them and installed the Phillips in the Sony. Booted right up and once I did the guide set up the lifetime subscription is working and no more skipping and audio screw ups.
When you put the Phillips drive in the Sony, were you able to continue to use the Sony remote, or did you have to switch over to the Philips remote?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
jttehall

Well actually I used an extra series 2 remote. Programmed using "0" as the option to control all TiVos.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #4
mr.unnatural

If the image was from a Philips Tivo then any non-Sony Tivo remote or universal remote with the Tivo codes would work. If he had put the Sony drive in the Philips then only the Sony remote would work.
mr.unnatural is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
stevel
Dumb Blond

TC CLUB MEMBER
That would be the "Philips" remote. However, you have done what was once warned about in a famous thread many years ago labeled "Don't be a moron." I can't find it now, but Richard Bullwinkle (aka Tivolutionary) cautioned against putting a disk from one model TiVo in another, such as you did. While it may seem to work, what happens is that the box will call into TiVo and repeatedly try to download the "correct" software version, and it will fail. TiVo doesn't like this.

With some of the TiVo-branded Series 2 models you can do this, but not in this case.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:11 AM   #6
jttehall

Well I'll follow up with this. Should get some sort of message possibly. Still working fine.
Old 07-25-2013, 06:13 AM   #7
jttehall

I wonder after over 10 years if it still does this. Also I have the network card installed. No 800 number being used.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:48 PM   #8
jttehall

Well I couldn't get the guide updates. It looked like it was downloading but never would index the info. Had to repeat the guided setup and bingo back in business. We'll see if it cont. To work

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 AM   #9
ggieseke

If it fails during the next download just keep forcing a daily call until it succeeds. The downloads continue from the previous failure point as long as you don't make a test call or run Guided Setup again. During some previous years when S1s had guide problems (usually in Nov) I've had it take almost 20 attempts.

Once you have a full 12-day guide the daily calls are much smaller and they will usually complete in one session.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
jttehall

Will do.