TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 AM   #1
ahwman

Tuning adapter question

I have two Motorola tuning adapters and both exhibit the same behavior, so I believe I can rule out a hardware issue. That said, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the following:

Every time my cable company experiences an outage or my power goes out, my tuning adapters go out of sync with a flashing amber light and has caused me to miss recordings especially if I'm traveling. No matter how long I leave them, they will never go back in sync unless I power cycle them and this usually solves the issue. There are times however, where multiple power cycles are necessary to get them back in sync. My cable company (Bright House) seems clueless as to why this is happening and can't seem to produce an answer.

Yet another frustrating issue with tuning adapters and SDV...
ahwman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
stevewjackson
Steve W. Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahwman View Post
I have two Motorola tuning adapters and both exhibit the same behavior, so I believe I can rule out a hardware issue. That said, I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the following:

Every time my cable company experiences an outage or my power goes out, my tuning adapters go out of sync with a flashing amber light and has caused me to miss recordings especially if I'm traveling. No matter how long I leave them, they will never go back in sync unless I power cycle them and this usually solves the issue. There are times however, where multiple power cycles are necessary to get them back in sync. My cable company (Bright House) seems clueless as to why this is happening and can't seem to produce an answer.

Yet another frustrating issue with tuning adapters and SDV...
I know that you, like me, are one of those who have experienced the issue with suggestions not recording when a TA is in use. As a workaround, I have chosen to buy a timer and have mine turn off for 4 hours twice each week. I've found that often, but not always, my TA (which is also Motorola) will be blinking when we get up on a morning after it's been turned off. We haven't had a power failure long enough to outlast my UPS since getting the TA, but I'm sure it could happen there too. But when this happens, I also find that it's sometimes necessary to power cycle the TA multiple times to get it to reconnect.

I have Charter, so we don't have a common provider.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewjackson View Post
I know that you, like me, are one of those who have experienced the issue with suggestions not recording when a TA is in use. As a workaround, I have chosen to buy a timer and have mine turn off for 4 hours twice each week. I've found that often, but not always, my TA (which is also Motorola) will be blinking when we get up on a morning after it's been turned off. We haven't had a power failure long enough to outlast my UPS since getting the TA, but I'm sure it could happen there too. But when this happens, I also find that it's sometimes necessary to power cycle the TA multiple times to get it to reconnect.

I have Charter, so we don't have a common provider.
Thanks for the confirmation. It's just too bad that we have to use so many creative bandaids to work around issues. What do we pay all of this money to our cable companies/TiVo for? Frankly, SDV has been nothing but a pain since day one for me...
Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM   #4
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Thanks for the confirmation. It's just too bad that we have to use so many creative bandaids to work around issues. What do we pay all of this money to our cable companies/TiVo for? Frankly, SDV has been nothing but a pain since day one for me...
Imagine how much they'd charge if everything worked correctly.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
ahwman

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Imagine how much they'd charge if everything worked correctly.
Good point!
Old 07-25-2013, 01:27 AM   #6
unitron

Anything that needs not to get screwed up by a power blip or outage needs to be on a UPS.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #7
dlfl
Cranky old novice

Quote:
+1 Me too.

Of course the reason is that CableCARD and Tuning Adapters, and TiVo, are just a PITA to cable cos., and (surprise!) even the majestic powers of our federal government are insufficient to make them perform reliably. TiVo isn't able to fix the SDV issues, and the Cable Cos don't have the motivation. Guess who's left holding the bag.

Perhaps a small consolation is that even subscribers who use cable co-provided DVR's have problems with SDV channels on occasion.

I have a neighbor who uses a TWC-furnished DVR. He pays about the same price for his package WITH the DVR as I pay for my similar package (with me furnishing the TiVo DVR). He has had problems with SDV channels, but not as many as I do.

My TiVo has a lifetime sub. I've been considering going just OTA with the TiVo and signing up for the TWC DVR package my neighbor has. It won't cost me any more overall and I get to say goodbye to the Tuning Adapter. Only about one third of my season passes are cable-only. I will use other features that the TiVo provides beyond OTA, including pyTivo with the PlayOn plugin, and Amazon VOD. I don't use TiVo for Netflix because I have better devices for that.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote