TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 02:36 PM   #61
cwoody222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Yep, I got that feeling too. It's the "cool" thing to vote for a cable show. And we know the "critics" love everything cable.
But "critics" don't vote for the Emmys. Emmys are voted on by peers... other actors, writers, directors, etc.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:10 PM   #62
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielhart View Post
Best. Show. Ever.

until Breaking Bad came along....
Well, somebody had to post this
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #63
mwhip
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
But "critics" don't vote for the Emmys. Emmys are voted on by peers... other actors, writers, directors, etc.
This is why I am big fan of the Television Critics Association awards. People who watch TV for a living and if you look at their lists and nominees in years past they are pretty good.

Gamertag - mwhip
mwhip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:01 PM   #64
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwhip View Post
This is why I am big fan of the Television Critics Association awards. People who watch TV for a living and if you look at their lists and nominees in years past they are pretty good.
And this year other than comedy (I don't count reality) their nominations are 98% cable as well.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:20 PM   #65
DLiquid
Progressive User

It's nice to see Vera Farmiga get a nod for Bates Motel. I think she is very good in that role.

I've never really thought of Enlightenment as a comedy. Certainly Laura Dern's part was not comedic, though she was good at being very annoying.
DLiquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:46 PM   #66
mattack

Quote:
The sad part to me is that you have to pay EXTRA to see so many of these shows. If you don't have HBO or Showtime, you miss out on a lot. And now Netflix as well.
Sad? I kind of hope House of Cards wins, and I've never seen it, just to give positive feedback to the original series on alternative platforms.

Plus, "if you don't have HBO or Showtime", you can just rent the DVDs. I did that for many years.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:41 PM   #67
Cainebj

Quote:
well prior to reading that I thought the two biggest snubs were Tatiana Maslany and Keri Russell (i love Connie Britton but her performance in Nashville over those 2?)

after reading I have to agree on The Walking Dead and Jennifer Carpenter.

Last edited by Cainebj : 07-19-2013 at 10:46 PM. Reason: more
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 02:43 AM   #68
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post

well prior to reading that I thought the two biggest snubs were Tatiana Maslany and Keri Russell (i love Connie Britton but her performance in Nashville over those 2?)

after reading I have to agree on The Walking Dead and Jennifer Carpenter.
Totally disagree. Walking Dead is not even close to on par with the Best Drama nominees. It's a fun show, but it's not got the quality of acting or writing necessary to be nominated.

And Jennifer Carpenter has always seemed like the weak link in the Dexter cast. She can swear and freak out with the best of them, but ask her to do anything else and she's out of her depth.

I can't even believe True Blood was mentioned in that article.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:06 AM   #69
Cainebj

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Totally disagree. Walking Dead is not even close to on par with the Best Drama nominees.

And Jennifer Carpenter has always seemed like the weak link in the Dexter cast.
I didn't mean Walking Dead as best drama - I meant more so that is was snubbed completely.
Andrew Lincoln had a moment in one episode that is going to remain with me long after I even recall any of the best actor nominees performances.

The same goes for Jennifer Carpenter - yes her character is exactly as you described - but she has had incredible tour de force scenes that if you don't recognize = her revelations with Dexter and the climaxing scene with LaGuerta
- I dunno you must be watching another show.
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:31 AM   #70
Hcour

Just finished the first season of Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany is just extraordinary. It's silly and pointless to dwell on awards, of course, but really, if they're going to claim to recognize outstanding performances this has to be one of the great snubs in the history of the Emmy's. Not only does she run the gamut of emotions in the lead role, she runs the gamut in several supporting roles. Without overacting the different characterizations, she manages to make, what, five or six characters into distinct, believable individuals.

A most egregious omission if ever there was one.
Hcour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #71
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwoody222 View Post
Never said they did. I'm just saying that the "critics" love the cable shows, and it's part of the reason why those shows are the "cool" things to watch. And I watch them too.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:06 PM   #72
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattack View Post
Sad? I kind of hope House of Cards wins, and I've never seen it, just to give positive feedback to the original series on alternative platforms.

Plus, "if you don't have HBO or Showtime", you can just rent the DVDs. I did that for many years.
Doesn't change the fact that you have to pay extra to see them either by their original content provider or via rental.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #73
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hcour View Post
Just finished the first season of Orphan Black. Tatiana Maslany is just extraordinary. It's silly and pointless to dwell on awards, of course, but really, if they're going to claim to recognize outstanding performances this has to be one of the great snubs in the history of the Emmy's. Not only does she run the gamut of emotions in the lead role, she runs the gamut in several supporting roles. Without overacting the different characterizations, she manages to make, what, five or six characters into distinct, believable individuals.

A most egregious omission if ever there was one.
I'm with you. I think she's so good, that I watch and half the time I forget it's the same actress playing all those parts.

And I'll bet there are a few more clones she's going to have to play next season too
Old 07-24-2013, 01:34 PM   #74
aindik

Quote:
As I don't own a TiVo I'm not quite sure what TiVo has to do with the discussion. I'm assuming by OTA he means the broadcast Networks (ABC, NBC, etc.) as opposed to Cable and OD channels. Perhaps he means that with OTA it gives you more flexibility when to watch those shows which are usually shown only once, where cable shows, (especially the premiums) are shown multiple times. I THINK that's what he's getting at.
I think what he meant was, he didn't want to hear people complaining that new TiVo models don't work with OTA, because who cares, there's nothing good on those channels anyway.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:55 PM   #75
zalusky

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
I think what he meant was, he didn't want to hear people complaining that new TiVo models don't work with OTA, because who cares, there's nothing good on those channels anyway.
It was a bit of thread creep on my part but yes this thread came with some data to support that future.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #76
LooseWiring

When I saw the nominations listed my only thought was "Bob Newhart better be nominated(and WIN) for Best Guest Star in a Comedy".

He was perfection. Every second he was on the screen.

The only other guest star I would have liked to have seen on the list was John Ratzenberger for Legit.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #77
mattack

Quote:
Doesn't change the fact that you have to pay extra to see them either by their original content provider or via rental.
So what? You have to pay to see movies too.. Should there be no Oscar awards then?
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 10:07 AM   #78
jsmeeker
Vegas Boy

Or Tony awards. You have to pay to see those plays/musicals. PLUS, you have to go to New York. How fair is THAT!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
jsmeeker is offline   Reply With Quote