TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Reply
Forum Jump
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,013
Dexter - S08E04 - "Scar Tissue" - OAD 7/21/2013 *spoilers*

Surprised there is no thread yet. You guys have been pretty talkative about this show for the first few episodes of this season.

Anyway, did they finally acknowledge in this episode that Batista still owns the restaurant? I had found it odd up until now that he retired last year and opened a restaurant, and then this season he's been promoted to lieutenant without any mention of his retirement or his restaurant.

So Harry probably killed himself because he couldn't live with what he turned Dexter into, and now Deb wants to kill both herself and Dexter. Obviously she didn't succeed. It will be interesting to see if this changes how Dexter feels about her.

Still waiting to see how Deb's boss fits into this whole thing. I refuse to believe he's nothing more than an ex-cop who is now a PI and Deb's boss.

Interesting that the Brain Surgeon guy would clear out of his house and take all the shoes, but leave his computer and everything else in the basement lair.
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Interesting that the Brain Surgeon guy would clear out of his house and take all the shoes, but leave his computer and everything else in the basement lair.
I was not 100% convinced that Yates is the brain surgeon. His reaction when he saw Dexter was strange -- "Vogel has found herself a hero". But the brain surgeon already knew that Vogel had a man with her, since he sent his & hers brain pieces. He should have said something like "Vogel's man is trying to be a hero". Also, the woman in the cabinet did not appear to have anything done to her head or brain. I suppose Yates could have been planning to do the brain surgery later and got interrupted. So the evidence is not conclusive, and Yates could be the brain surgeon, but I am not yet convinced.

Deb is still very confused. She tried to kill Dexter (and herself), but then she saved Dexter's life (although that was a strange scene -- the guy who pulled Deb out just disappeared).
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 04:15 PM   #3
mooseAndSquirrel
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: Whatsamatta U
Posts: 2,493
"previously on Dexter" showed somebody telling Dexter that Harry killed himself. I don't remember ever seeing that on the show.

And yeah, leaving a stabbed but not dead girl in your basement isn't very good fleeing!

And you're right, they definitely showed Angel retiring. Of course, there are so many unrealistic parts to this work environment. Like a lab technician having oodles of time to go killing and investigating. A real lab tech is probably working 70 hour weeks and is highly accountable. Instead, it's here's a brown bag of clothes from the stabbed girl. Nice chain of custody there!

I still enjoy the show, but I'm not thrilled with this wrap up season.
__________________
__
see my IT and technology blog at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mooseAndSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:08 AM   #4
Sromkie
TiVoed
 
Sromkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL / Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post
Deb is still very confused. She tried to kill Dexter (and herself), but then she saved Dexter's life (although that was a strange scene -- the guy who pulled Deb out just disappeared).
Deb couldn't live with herself if she killed Dexter. The only way it would work for her is if she died at the same time--that way, she doesn't have to live with it. As soon as she was rescued, that plan was foiled, and she had to save him. She still loves him. She hates him too, of course (which is more of a reflection on her hating herself, really--she hates what she became because of him), but she loves him.

She was also acting rashly and in the moment. Once she was rescued, she probably had a change of heart as the reality of her actions set in.
__________________
-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
brebeans
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 469
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Still waiting to see how Deb's boss fits into this whole thing. I refuse to believe he's nothing more than an ex-cop who is now a PI and Deb's boss.
Also agree that I'm not so sure that Yates is the brain surgeon. Something else happening here.

I know there are some loose ends with the series, especially the last couple of seasons. however, I am enjoying this season more than I thought I would and I love Charlotte Rampling as Dr. Vogel. She used to be quite hot, back in the day.

The previews looked like Dex was angry at Debra for the attempt at taking both their lives, but we'll see. I'm interested in where all of this goes....Debra line, Harry line, Vogel line, Yates (or other) line and Matthews and Deb's ex beau........
brebeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 AM   #6
Sromkie
TiVoed
 
Sromkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL / Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by john4200 View Post

I was not 100% convinced that Yates is the brain surgeon. His reaction when he saw Dexter was strange -- "Vogel has found herself a hero". But the brain surgeon already knew that Vogel had a man with her, since he sent his & hers brain pieces. He should have said something like "Vogel's man is trying to be a hero". Also, the woman in the cabinet did not appear to have anything done to her head or brain. I suppose Yates could have been planning to do the brain surgery later and got interrupted. So the evidence is not conclusive, and Yates could be the brain surgeon, but I am not yet convinced.
I agree with this. It would be too easy if Yates were the killer. That was an interesting catch you had with his wording, too... It did sound like e didn't expect Vogel to be working with someone. If this were the killer, he probably would have responded more like you proposed. Maybe Vogel recommended the brain surgery procedure on more than one of her patients.
__________________
-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #7
Sromkie
TiVoed
 
Sromkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL / Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Anyway, did they finally acknowledge in this episode that Batista still owns the restaurant? I had found it odd up until now that he retired last year and opened a restaurant, and then this season he's been promoted to lieutenant without any mention of his retirement or his restaurant.
With Laguerta's death, it's not surprising that plans could change and he'd come back. It's likely he was the best person to fill the role on short notice. It was nice to see acknowledgement if the restaurant, though. Angel must be a busy man.
__________________
-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #8
ADG
Allan
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: New Jersey, USA
Posts: 1,822
VERY strange writing. The car goes into the water, a stranger sees it happen and dives in. Pulls Deb to shore and................ then vanishes from the face of the earth?
__________________
Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
ADG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:39 AM   #9
DevdogAZ
Give em Hell, Devils
 
DevdogAZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Arizona
Posts: 37,013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sromkie View Post
With Laguerta's death, it's not surprising that plans could change and he'd come back. It's likely he was the best person to fill the role on short notice. It was nice to see acknowledgement if the restaurant, though. Angel must be a busy man.
Yes, I think it's perfectly plausible that with LaGuerta's death and Deb's breakdown, Capt. Matthews convinced Batista to come back and be Lt. The only reason I brought it up is because they've never told us any of that information. We simply went from Batista being retired and owning a restaurant to Batista being back on the force as Lt. with no mention of the retirememt or the restaurant for 3+ episodes. That just seems like the type of thing that should have been mentioned in the season premiere, with a throwaway line from Matthews to Batista saying something like, "Thanks again for coming out of retirement to help us out."
__________________
"You don't own a TV? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribbiani
DevdogAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #10
Test
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 3,390
Harry faked his death and went into hiding. He is back to clean up his mess and get rid of Dexter and the good Doctor.
__________________
.
Test is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:37 PM   #11
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
VERY strange writing. The car goes into the water, a stranger sees it happen and dives in. Pulls Deb to shore and................ then vanishes from the face of the earth?
I actually blame the camera angle. What I believe happaned was the fat guy was absolutely exhausted and "passed out" on the beach after saving Deb. I do agree they could have handled it better though.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #12
pmyers
Registered User
 
pmyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Gilbert, AZ
Posts: 14,159
OK....who else said "If Deb's boss gives her another "drink" this week the Tivo board is going to go crazy...." during their scene together? lol. I know I did!
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Sromkie
TiVoed
 
Sromkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL / Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Yes, I think it's perfectly plausible that with LaGuerta's death and Deb's breakdown, Capt. Matthews convinced Batista to come back and be Lt. The only reason I brought it up is because they've never told us any of that information. We simply went from Batista being retired and owning a restaurant to Batista being back on the force as Lt. with no mention of the retirememt or the restaurant for 3+ episodes. That just seems like the type of thing that should have been mentioned in the season premiere, with a throwaway line from Matthews to Batista saying something like, "Thanks again for coming out of retirement to help us out."
Yeah, including a throwaway line like that wouldn't have hurt, that's for sure. I give most shows a pass om stuff like that if, when I watch it, I can come up with a reasonable explanation of what happened. It's only when I can't figure out how we logically could have gotten from point A to point B that it bothers me. I can totally see why it would be brought up, though; it was a pretty big deviation from how things were left last season.
__________________
-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #14
Sromkie
TiVoed
 
Sromkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Orlando, FL / Brooklyn, NY
Posts: 685
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
OK....who else said "If Deb's boss gives her another "drink" this week the Tivo board is going to go crazy...." during their scene together? lol. I know I did!
Well, he did give her a beer that she didn't drink
__________________
-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sromkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
getreal
postcrastinator
 
getreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,399
I'll be the first to predict that Vogel will be the brain surgeon. I just rewatched the first episode of this season and she said to Dexter that they were both drawn to murder and that maybe they were both a little bit crazy.

The first scene at the park bench dedication to La Guerta, Angel Batista said that it took Maria's death to make him realize that all he wanted to do was catch bad guys. I think that was meant to explain his return to Miami Metro Homicide and we were left to connect the dots.
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
john4200
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,151
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
I'll be the first to predict that Vogel will be the brain surgeon.
I don't think you are the first (unless you posted in another thread) because I'm pretty sure someone already made that prediction.

If Vogel is involved, it is more of a supervisory role, since she is not physically capable of some of the acts involved. But I will be disappointed if she is directing things -- the facts just do not add up very well for such a conclusion, and any idea of motive is just too far-fetched.
john4200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:38 AM   #17
Sacrilegium
that weird guy
 
Sacrilegium's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by DevdogAZ View Post
Yes, I think it's perfectly plausible that with LaGuerta's death and Deb's breakdown, Capt. Matthews convinced Batista to come back and be Lt. The only reason I brought it up is because they've never told us any of that information. We simply went from Batista being retired and owning a restaurant to Batista being back on the force as Lt. with no mention of the retirememt or the restaurant for 3+ episodes.
You guys all have even worse memories than I do, and I didn't think that was possible

In the beginning of the first episode of the season, when they're all standing around doing the exposition on what happened between seasons, Batista says LaGuerta's death is what caused him to come out of retirement and join the force again.
Sacrilegium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
DUDE_NJX
Registered User
 
DUDE_NJX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADG View Post
VERY strange writing. The car goes into the water, a stranger sees it happen and dives in. Pulls Deb to shore and................ then vanishes from the face of the earth?
Alligators.
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:26 AM   #19
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,343
Yeah, the car in the water thing was weird but the guy only saving Deb and disappearing, I guess although it felt wonky, was about HER being the one to go back in and save Dexter - or not.

I'm feeling so weird this season. I think part of it is watching the show in the summer and the other part is that I'm bummed it's going to end with this season and I have a little anxiety about how it will end.

But to go all superficial - WTH is with Quinn's hair? Why do guys, especially still fairly young guys with a full head of hair, hack it all off like that? It's too short, for my liking anyway, but it looks like it was cut with a lawn mower.

Strangely, because I really never found her appealing at all, I was almost having a little bit of a girl-crush on Deb right after she got it together. She looked kind of hot there for a minute.

I definitely see the doc having something to do with the Brain Surgeon killings but I don't really think it's her. She kind of freaks me out a little. I think it's the actor, though, and not so much the character.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:34 AM   #20
DUDE_NJX
Registered User
 
DUDE_NJX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 8,262
Quinn is typical WT. No matter what he does, it shows.
DUDE_NJX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #21
sharkster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: NV
Posts: 2,343
Good point, Dude.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #22
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Now you see him


Now you don't (<2 sec. later)

__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.

Last edited by scandia101 : 07-24-2013 at 07:00 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #23
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacrilegium View Post
You guys all have even worse memories than I do, and I didn't think that was possible

In the beginning of the first episode of the season, when they're all standing around doing the exposition on what happened between seasons, Batista says LaGuerta's death is what caused him to come out of retirement and join the force again.
Well, to be accurate Batista never said that. What he said was the he realized that all he ever wanted to do is "chase bad guys." And to be fair, getreal stated this in post #15.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:22 PM   #24
squint
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 593
Maybe the rescuer was just a figment of her imagination and she really just swam to shore herself?
squint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 05:10 PM   #25
getreal
postcrastinator
 
getreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Well, to be accurate Batista never said that. What he said was the he realized that all he ever wanted to do is "chase bad guys." And to be fair, getreal stated this in post #15.
Thank you.

BTW, Scandia, I cannot translate your signature line. I'm guessing it's something like "discipline is healthy"?
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #26
Cainebj
Registered User
 
Cainebj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New York
Posts: 2,595
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
I actually blame the camera angle. What I believe happaned was the fat guy was absolutely exhausted and "passed out" on the beach
that was exactly as i saw it
he saved Deb and was exhausted when she dove back in to get Dexter
the camera followed Deb
i didn't have a problem with that or felt like he disappeared
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:14 PM   #27
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!
 
Rob Helmerichs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Minneapolis
Posts: 30,830
Quote:
Originally Posted by getreal View Post
BTW, Scandia, I cannot translate your signature line. I'm guessing it's something like "discipline is healthy"?
Missed it by THAT MUCH!!

"Our students are the dumbest."
__________________
“This is the moment of truth. Are you my friend, or are you some bloodsucking network vampire?”
“Why do I have to pick one or the other?”
Rob Helmerichs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am
 
scandia101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MN, greater TC metro area
Posts: 8,979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
that was exactly as i saw it
he saved Deb and was exhausted when she dove back in to get Dexter
How far and how fast did he crawl to do this?
The screenshots I posted are no more than 2 seconds apart and the second one shows a wider view.
Fat exhausted men don't move that fast.

Clearly it's just a continuity issue caused by not having that actor there, but there are better ways.
__________________
discipuli nostrum bardissimi sunt.

Last edited by scandia101 : 07-24-2013 at 07:13 PM.
scandia101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #29
getreal
postcrastinator
 
getreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Earth
Posts: 3,399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
Missed it by THAT MUCH!!

"Our students are the dumbest."
LOL! That IS "much"!
__________________

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
getreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:55 PM   #30
VegasVic
Craps Player
 
VegasVic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Craps Table
Posts: 2,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseAndSquirrel View Post
And yeah, leaving a stabbed but not dead girl in your basement isn't very good fleeing!
But he did manage to take all the shoes
__________________
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'. - Bob Newhart.
VegasVic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Forum Jump




Thread Tools


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Advertisements

TiVo Community
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media

(C) 2013 Magenium Solutions - All Rights Reserved. No information may be posted elsewhere without written permission.
TiVo® is a registered trademark of TiVo Inc. This site is not owned or operated by TiVo Inc.
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:57 PM.
OUR NETWORK: MyOpenRouter | TechLore | SansaCommunity | RoboCommunity | MediaSmart Home | Explore3DTV | Dijit Community | DVR Playground |