Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 08:13 AM   #91
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuCow View Post
Same with the opera guy.. he was better than the gay kid.. they kept the gay kid because of "his story."

I thought just the opposite, the young kid was much better than the older guy. I didn't even think it was close.

then again I am no opera critic.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:31 AM   #92
newsposter
Poster of News

i'm almost ready to cancel the SP but instead just FF thru it because i do love the magic. anyone know how the book ripped page trick is done?

the woman with the person going thru her body was really not polished at all. seemed very amateur

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

monsterjoe - You aren't wrong; spartanstew- I agree with newsposter
newsposter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #93
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by newsposter View Post
i'm almost ready to cancel the SP but instead just FF thru it because i do love the magic. anyone know how the book ripped page trick is done?
Just a pure guess from me, but I think the playing card had a small piece of the page 60 attached to it.

When he showed them the page number and the first word, notice he didn't open the book all the way - he just turned the edge back just enough for them to see it.

So page 60 had been torn out before he started, he had a small 'page 60' piece from another copy of the book attached to the playing card, and that is what they saw when he gave them a peek.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:03 AM   #94
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Re: The people sent home from Vegas without being able to perform again.

A) Don't they do this every season?
B) Hey, at least they got a free trip to Vegas, right? Unless they have to find their own way, of course. Then it would suck.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #95
markz
Hilarity Ensues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donbadabon View Post
Just a pure guess from me, but I think the playing card had a small piece of the page 60 attached to it.

When he showed them the page number and the first word, notice he didn't open the book all the way - he just turned the edge back just enough for them to see it.

So page 60 had been torn out before he started, he had a small 'page 60' piece from another copy of the book attached to the playing card, and that is what they saw when he gave them a peek.
That makes perfect sense. I couldn't figure out how it was done.

markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 04:27 PM   #96
That Don Guy
Now with more GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Don Guy View Post
The fact that there are 60 acts going to Radio City Music Hall makes me think they're going to do something I don't think they have done in a while - break the acts up into 4 groups of 15, only to tell five of the acts in each group on live television that they're eliminated without being able to perform again (unless they're invited to the Wild Card round). It's bad enough when the judges send someone to Vegas, only to tell them to get on the next plane home without giving them the chance to perform again.

Then again, I also haven't heard anything about a "YouTube's Got Talent" round this year; maybe there will be 5 weeks of 12 finalists rather than 4 weeks plus the YouTube round.
The TV listings say that 12 acts will perform on Tuesday, so it looks like all 60 will get to perform (and there probably won't be a YouTube week this year) - let me see if I can work out a schedule based on last year (all dates are Tuesdays):
7/23, 7/30, 8/6, 8/13, 8/20 - 12 performances per week; 4 per week advance to the semi-final 24
8/27 - Wild Card week; four more advance
9/3, 9/10 - 12 performances per week; 3 per week go to the final 6
9/17 - final 6; this is the final week, as NBC has announced Chicago Fire's season premiere is the following Tuesday.

Quote:

When I first saw it, I thought that the book was specially printed somehow with a "Page 60" somewhere else in the book - and I don't think I was alone, as after the trick, Howie is looking through the book, probably searching for Page 60. Then again, the magician is using one of his pinkies to hold down the bottom of the card - probably so no one will look closely at the book and notice that the "Page 60" text is followed immediately by Page 58 text.
That Don Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #97
nlsinger
w00tever

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Re: The people sent home from Vegas without being able to perform again.

A) Don't they do this every season?
B) Hey, at least they got a free trip to Vegas, right? Unless they have to find their own way, of course. Then it would suck.
For how the trip there was structured, it could have been anywhere in the world.

Mr.Slowplay was the MVP for sure... not his fault that nlsinger's charm and cunning had him fooled. :P --MickeS
nlsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #98
MarkofT

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlsinger View Post
That's for damn sure. They put our boys on a 5am plane, they went from airport to hotel waiting room for 12 hours, went to bed, got up the next day, waited I don't know how long, just for Howie to tell them they weren't continuing.
And the thing is, they had to know, they only had a few of the boys come to Vegas.
I was wondering if they made it or not. I didn't see any large group like the choir in any of the wide shots so I wasn't sure what happened.
MarkofT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:35 PM   #99
nlsinger
w00tever

There was a lot of strange stuff happening surrounding their participation, but the first part was fun for all of them, so I'm glad they had the experience.

Mr.Slowplay was the MVP for sure... not his fault that nlsinger's charm and cunning had him fooled. :P --MickeS
nlsinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:24 AM   #100
Cainebj

Does anyone remember the band from NY with the 3 siblings - two sisters and a brother?

I don't remember seeing them at all during the callbacks and was wondering if they got sent right through to NY or if they dropped out or something?
Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 01:09 PM   #101
Cainebj

well i did my own research they were called 212 Green from Harlem - they aren't listed as contestants in the live show - i wonder what happened to them?

Cainebj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 01:03 PM   #102
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cainebj View Post
well i did my own research they were called 212 Green from Harlem - they aren't listed as contestants in the live show - i wonder what happened to them?

Their web page doesnt mention it either. I thought they were pretty good.. kind of odd.. wonder if they got a better offer and had to drop out.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:33 PM   #103
bryhamm
randomize

Three of the acts stood out to me and should move on:

Collins Keys
Kristeff Brothers
Tellavision

The last one was a bit tougher, but I give it to Branden James

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #104
morac
Cat God

#tuchas

Assuming the judges weren't in on It, I have no idea how Collins Key did this. Obviously he had to write down the hash tags after they were said, but I didn't see any time he would have had a chance to do so. It was a good trick, but I don't think it was Radio City Music Hall good.

The Kristef Brothers were very good.

Of the other groups, Anna Christine and American Hitmen were good.

TellAvision was pretty good, but not great. There were some timing issues in the performance.

Maybe it was just me, but I thought Branden James was slightly off key. I didn't think he was that great. I skipped over his story so maybe that was skewing the judges.

I though the comedian (Kevin) was okay. He had some good jokes, but there was something off about him.

Hype was just okay. I agree with Howard.

The escape artist (Alexandria) was okay, but I've seen it before and I've seen some escape artists take longer than a minute.

Fresh Faces are talented, but their routine was a mess.

Special Head, uh no. Screaming girl, definitely NOOOOOOOOO!
morac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:40 PM   #105
Einselen
ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsıƃǝɹ

Can someone tell me where the city of Tampa Bay is? I know NBC/AGT said it was in Florida but I still can't find it on the map. (sorry pet peeve)

S2 526 HR - Lifetime
Premiere XL4 300 HR - Lifetime

XBL Gamertag - UnseenThought
Einselen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #106
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einselen View Post
Can someone tell me where the city of Tampa Bay is? I know NBC/AGT said it was in Florida but I still can't find it on the map. (sorry pet peeve)
I don't think Tampa Bay is a city. It's a bay. Tampa is a city.

Map link
Old 07-23-2013, 11:59 PM   #107
LoadStar
LOAD"*",8,1

Quote:
Originally Posted by morac View Post
I don't think Tampa Bay is a city. It's a bay. Tampa is a city.

Map link

... well, not a joke, but that was Einselen's point.
LoadStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:12 AM   #108
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
#tuchas

Assuming the judges weren't in on It, I have no idea how Collins Key did this.
Near as I can figure, it gets carried in on the ladder, filled in offstage. There were one or two opportunities for sleight of hand when he's opening the box as it sits on the top step of the ladder. But still it was executed flawlessly,
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:07 AM   #109
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Near as I can figure, it gets carried in on the ladder, filled in offstage. There were one or two opportunities for sleight of hand when he's opening the box as it sits on the top step of the ladder. But still it was executed flawlessly,
I thought I spotted those moves as well, until I saw the size of the paper that the stuff was written on.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #110
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Yeah, it was only a guess based on my presumption of the only opportunity to accomplish it. Maybe it's some compartment built into the top step, so when he removes it from the box he's really removing it from the compartment in the step (I'm working from memory).
Old 07-24-2013, 08:56 AM   #111
Donbadabon
Geocacher

Quote:
#tuchas

Assuming the judges weren't in on It, I have no idea how Collins Key did this.

The box is similar to the "Master Prediction System", as seen here:

http://www.wellingtonent.com/product...icpredict.html

My pure guess is the box has a printer of some sort inside, and the paper is wrapped around it. When the judges give their answers, someone back-stage types in their answers on a keyboard, which then gets transmitted to the printer.

If anyone here has $2995 burning a hole in their pocket, we can find out for sure.
Donbadabon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:23 AM   #112
morac
Cat God

Quote:

The box is similar to the "Master Prediction System", as seen here:

http://www.wellingtonent.com/product...icpredict.html

My pure guess is the box has a printer of some sort inside, and the paper is wrapped around it. When the judges give their answers, someone back-stage types in their answers on a keyboard, which then gets transmitted to the printer.

If anyone here has $2995 burning a hole in their pocket, we can find out for sure.
The box certainly looks the same. It doesn't say anything about printing out to look handwritten, but for nearly $3000 it might. It does say it folds the paper and seals it in an envelope.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #113
KungFuCow
Thread Killer

You can usually predict whos going through by the judge's comments. That being said, Im going with Anna Christine, The Kirstef Brothers, Brandon James (Although I didnt think he did that well) and Collins Keys.

They were critical of Anna but all of them praised her. If the judges are split, they usually dont get put through.
KungFuCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #114
pmyers

I really enjoyed the "kid" magician. I like that he used modern technology in his act.

The one thing that KILLS me about this show is right at the end there is the following disclaimer (paraphrased)

"The $1million prize is paid out over a 40 year annuity but the winner may chose to take the present value cash equivalant".

Really! You can't just give them the $1mill. That's $25k a year!

What is the present cash value equivalant of $1mill based on 40 years?
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:05 AM   #115
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmyers View Post
What's your discount rate?
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM   #116
morac
Cat God

Quote:
Really! You can't just give them the $1mill. That's $25k a year!

With taxes, it's not even that. Also any of those ensemble groups would split the prize, so at most they are getting a few thousand dollars a year. I won't even get into inflation.

Really the prize isn't that great. If someone is doing it for the million dollars, he/she will be disappointed. The prize also includes touring and a show in Vegas. I'm assuming the winner gets at least some of the proceeds from that.

Still there's a reason past winners for the most part have vanished into obscurity.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #117
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Terry Fador is doing pretty good though (estimated net worth $100 million)
Old 07-24-2013, 11:14 AM   #118
pmyers

Quote:
With taxes, it's not even that. Also any of those ensemble groups would split the prize, so at most they are getting a few thousand dollars a year. I won't even get into inflation.

Really the prize isn't that great. If someone is doing it for the million dollars, he/she will be disappointed. The prize also includes touring and a show in Vegas. I'm assuming the winner gets at least some of the proceeds from that.

Still there's a reason past winners for the most part have vanished into obscurity.
Totally agree. The prize isn't that great and the real money is in what MIGHT happen after the show is over, but I still believe the producers/owners should be ashamed of just not paying out the prize in one lump.
pmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 AM   #119
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

Quote:
Around $400K but it depends on the rate used. I used the particular calculator's default of 2.3%
Old 07-24-2013, 11:26 AM   #120
late for dinner
Past Expiration Date

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdhenry View Post
Around $400K but it depends on the rate used. I used the particular calculator's default of 2.3%
too low of a rate. An appropriate discount rate for a structured settlement funding transaction is between 8-14% depending on who's making the payment.