TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #1
atotten

"Go Backward" input command on S3 remote?

Hello all - found a somewhat related topic here but not exactly the info I need.
I bought a WD TV Live PLus (http://goo.gl/sVtfI9) so I could watch HuluPlus on tv, since, as we all know, S3 doesnt support flash /hulu plus. Anyway I was wondering if there is a remote control command to go BACKWARDS thru the inputs. I have like 10 inputs that the RC goes thru and I only use 2, so it would a real timesaver to go up and down only ONE input.
Tried holding input button and down button (near SELECT) and of course that didnt work. Also searched for guide on all the commands you can do with the remote and couldnt find anything beyond the basics. Would love a link to one if it is available.
Thoughts?
atotten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
unitron

Quote:
Originally Posted by atotten View Post
Hello all - found a somewhat related topic here but not exactly the info I need.
I bought a WD TV Live PLus (http://goo.gl/sVtfI9) so I could watch HuluPlus on tv, since, as we all know, S3 doesnt support flash /hulu plus. Anyway I was wondering if there is a remote control command to go BACKWARDS thru the inputs. I have like 10 inputs that the RC goes thru and I only use 2, so it would a real timesaver to go up and down only ONE input.
Tried holding input button and down button (near SELECT) and of course that didnt work. Also searched for guide on all the commands you can do with the remote and couldnt find anything beyond the basics. Would love a link to one if it is available.
Thoughts?
Are you saying your television has 10 separate source inputs?

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:08 PM   #3
atotten

Inputs

Well, I have to go thru about 10 inputs, so I guess so. So I want to go back from the tivo (6) to the WD (5), not all the way back around.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

Some TVs can skip unused inputs.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:37 PM   #5
atotten

Anyone know where I can find an online resource for some of the more arcane RC commands like the 5 second skip etc? Maybe it would be in there?
Old 07-23-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
wmcbrine
Resistance Useless

The answer is no -- no such code exists. Or rather, if there were such a code, it would be specific to that model of TV; but it wouldn't be in the TiVo's code database, because the TiVo remote has no standard way to send such a code. If it exists for your particular TV (I doubt it), and if you have one of the learning-capable TiVo remotes, then you could assign it yourself.

What actually happens with most modern TVs is that the "Input" code pulls up a menu, which you can navigate -- with the TV's own remote, but not with the TiVo remote -- with arrow and select keys. On some TVs, a second press of Input with the menu already on-screen will then advance to the next input, allowing compatibility with the single-code system. But I doubt that anyone ever implemented a reverse code -- it's either the old, advance-only system, or they go directly to the menu system. There doesn't seem to be a logical space for a reverse code to occupy.

The 30-second skip (there's no 5-second skip) isn't a separate remote code; rather, that key always sends the same code (which TiVo calls "Advance"), but when you enter the backdoor sequence, the TiVo changes the way it interprets that code. There are no special tricks you can do with the remote, AFAIK, besides programming it. There are a few other backdoor sequences, which IMHO are largely uninteresting (on-screen clock, hide the play bar faster, show a test pattern), and there are a few discrete codes that the TiVo recognizes (Standby, List, Stop) that aren't on the standard TiVo remotes, but can be programmed into a universal remote. That's about it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wmcbrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:29 PM   #7
mattack

VERY slight nitpick, those other buttons are on old versions of Tivos.. e.g. the Hughes (I think that's the one in the thread I just read), and/or the old DirecTV Tivos.
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 06:44 AM   #8
atotten

thanks mcbrine! free bradley manning!
Old 07-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #9
poppagene
User

Quote:
Thoughts?
hulu and hulu plus can be viewed on the S3 tivo using playon software on your windows computer in conjunction with pytivo to deliver playon to your tivo.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...on#post9582103

Last edited by poppagene : 07-24-2013 at 09:00 AM.
poppagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013, 07:17 AM   #10
bmgoodman

Quote:
Well, I have to go thru about 10 inputs, so I guess so. So I want to go back from the tivo (6) to the WD (5), not all the way back around.
Using the Tivo remote, I don't think there's anything you can do, but if you have a universal remote that can work with discrete codes, you could do a search for your model TV and "discrete codes". You may well find a separate code for each input. JP1 remotes can handle this, but be prepared to do a LOT of reading and work.

Alternately, the Logitech Harmony remotes often have the discrete codes already for many TVs.
bmgoodman is offline   Reply With Quote