Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 08:43 PM   #61
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Helmerichs View Post
No sound on my recording, so I'm out unless they reshow it.

And what are the odds of that?

It was the sharks!! They ate the soundtrack...
Bierboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:38 PM   #62
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

They swim the atmosphere, endlessly seeking sound-waves to sustain them.

And when they find them, they strike! Silently, of course.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:04 AM   #63
cheesesteak
Meh.

I watched Blast Vegas and it was just awful. Not fun, I can't believe that just happened awful. Just awful. I give it 1 sharknado.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:44 AM   #64
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheesesteak View Post
I watched Blast Vegas and it was just awful. Not fun, I can't believe that just happened awful. Just awful. I give it 1 sharknado.
I gave it about five minutes.

They had a tornado.

No sharks, though. I kept hoping sharks would pop out of the tornado. But I guess magical Egyptian curse tornadoes don't come with sharks.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:26 PM   #65
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
No sound on my recording, so I'm out unless they reshow it.

And what are the odds of that?

You can always get the Blu-ray Disc(or DVD) that is being released on September 3rd.

http://www.amazon.com/Sharknado-Blu-...ords=Sharknado
40TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3
XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme
aaronwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 12:30 PM   #66
mrdazzo7

Couldn't do it. My friend texted me Thursday night when it was on and I turned it on buy could only do five minutes. It's cool that so many people were into though. Like someone else said, I'm surprised this one got so much buzz when they've been doing these movies for years.

The part I saw was closer to the end so I was a little surprised at the airport hanger where the guy comes out and sees Tara Reid and is all "Mom?"... I just looked the two actors up and she's like seven years older than him. lol...

The other part I saw was Ian Ziering shooting flying sharks with a pistol - did anyone else think he must have gone to the same shooting school as everyone on The Walking Dead? lol
Old 07-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #67
heySkippy
oldweakandpathetic

I liked it! Lots of movies try for "so bad it's good" and fail, but this one nailed it.

meh
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #68
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

I watched the rest of it this morning. The second half was so bad. I laughed out loud like 5 times. The end with the great white, chainsaw and surprise contents of great white's stomach were too much. I also loved how a tiny gas grill canister and flare are a bomb that can stop a tornado.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #69
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

I know campy, and this was not campy! Actually was bored, so I deleted it after about 30 minutes.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:32 PM   #70
TIVOSciolist
Bye to High Society

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoffer View Post
The end with the great white, chainsaw and surprise contents of great white's stomach were too much. I also loved how a tiny gas grill canister and flare are a bomb that can stop a tornado.
My favorite final touch was ending the movie with the word "FIN." I haven't seen that done since the old black and white European movies from the 1960s.
TIVOSciolist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:04 AM   #71
Dawghows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
Personally, I'd like to see SyFy start up a new series late at night that showcases old horror and Sci-Fi movies like they used to do on the local TV stations on Saturday nights hosted by Vampira or some other local ghoul. They could bring back Alf or some other character to host it.
Quote:
Except nobody would watch it or at least not enough people for them to make money off of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.unnatural View Post
There would be little overhead involved and certainly wouldn't cost them as much to produce as original feature length movies. Saturday night is pretty much purgatory for any programming except for this type of schlock. I think it would probably attract more viewers than you realize, but hey, I'm no programming expert (then again, neither are most of the network execs ).
I've been wanting someone to do this for years. I'd watch it every single week.
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:24 AM   #72
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Tempted to indulge but don't want to accelerate "Idiocracy"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 09:58 AM   #73
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Tempted to indulge but don't want to accelerate "Idiocracy"
By some metrics, Sharknado actually raises the average intelligence of human culture...
Old 07-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #74
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

All I know is I've tried watching these dumb SyFy movies in the past. I have never lasted more than 20 minutes. I'm not exactly sure what it means that I watched all of Sharknado.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #75
cheesesteak
Meh.

Was Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus the SyFy movie where the shark jumped out of the water and bit a 747 in midair? That's something only a 7 year old could dream up.

A Cheesesteak always pays its debts
cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:29 AM   #76
Dawghows

I realize asking this question is going to make it seem as if I think there was an actual story in this movie, which is giving more credit than I should, but anyway:

Was there any connection at all between the people on the boat (at the beginning) and anything that happened later when the action moved to L.A.?
Dawghows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:40 AM   #77
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawghows View Post
I realize asking this question is going to make it seem as if I think there was an actual story in this movie, which is giving more credit than I should, but anyway:

Was there any connection at all between the people on the boat (at the beginning) and anything that happened later when the action moved to L.A.?
I was listening to the "How did this get made" podcast. This was like the first thing they mentioned. That the opening segment had nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

That opening scene was pretty dumb. How this business suit dude is having a meeting on a fishing boat in the middle of the ocean. Then when they get in a gun fight, where the hell is the business suit dude going? Was he going to kill everyone on the boat and head back to shore with the money and shark fins?
Old 07-22-2013, 10:51 AM   #78
ehusen
Geek not Nerd

Well I watched it, painful as it was. Like a moth to a flame I continue to burn myself on these atrocious movies.

Although at least there was a shark filled tornado so the name was correct. When I watched "Atomic Twister" I was fully ready for a Nuclear Cyclone of death but no, there was no Atomic Twister!! Frankly, I felt quite betrayed by that.

But Sharknado did indeed have a twister full of Sharks. So in the realm of "animals merged with weather" movies I give it the highest rankings.

I must admit I did laugh when the woman said "We're gonna need a bigger chopper..." (I'm sure Spielburg loved that one...)
Old 07-22-2013, 10:53 AM   #79
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Was Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus the SyFy movie where the shark jumped out of the water and bit a 747 in midair? That's something only a 7 year old could dream up.
Reminds me of Axe Cop, first a comic book and now a TV show, created and plotted by a comic book artist's 5-year-old brother.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #80
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I read that they have a budget of no more than 1 million for each these movies. And they do them very quickly on a very tight schedule.

And they have also never lost money on a movie they have made.
Old 07-23-2013, 01:48 PM   #81
aaronwt
HD Addict

Quote:
I was listening to the "How did this get made" podcast. This was like the first thing they mentioned. That the opening segment had nothing to do with the rest of the movie.

That opening scene was pretty dumb. How this business suit dude is having a meeting on a fishing boat in the middle of the ocean. Then when they get in a gun fight, where the hell is the business suit dude going? Was he going to kill everyone on the boat and head back to shore with the money and shark fins?
I thought the connection was the aggressive sharks swimming in swarms at the boat. Then the water spouts picked them up later in the movie.

Anyway it sounds like the company that makes these movies is a good one to own. If they are making money on each movie they proiduce, that is more than the big movie studios can say about their movies. And in the end it's all about the bottom line.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:05 PM   #82
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
I read that they have a budget of no more than 1 million for each these movies. And they do them very quickly on a very tight schedule.

And they have also never lost money on a movie they have made.
...and therein lies the reason these films are unadulterated schtako...
Old 07-23-2013, 02:12 PM   #83
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Anyway it sounds like the company that makes these movies is a good one to own. If they are making money on each movie they proiduce, that is more than the big movie studios can say about their movies. And in the end it's all about the bottom line.
Then again, a well-run big studio will make enough money on the movies that win to more than cover their losses on the ones that don't. And the kind of profit we're talking about for a single big studio movie is more than Asylum will see in its entire existence.

The downside, of course, is that if a big studio has a long-enough losing streak, it can lose astonishing amounts of money (as opposed to the astonishing amounts of money they "lose" on every movie they make, through creative accounting practices).
Old 07-23-2013, 03:55 PM   #84
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Quote:
Then again, a well-run big studio will make enough money on the movies that win to more than cover their losses on the ones that don't. And the kind of profit we're talking about for a single big studio movie is more than Asylum will see in its entire existence.

The downside, of course, is that if a big studio has a long-enough losing streak, it can lose astonishing amounts of money (as opposed to the astonishing amounts of money they "lose" on every movie they make, through creative accounting practices).
Yeah, take Disney. John Carter and The Lone Ranger are thought of as huge failures. Losing millions of dollars. Disney is still making buckets of money on their other films. Granted Disney probably can't have a huge lose every year for the next 10-20 years, or maybe they could.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:04 PM   #85
Rob Helmerichs
I am Groot!

Quote:
Yeah, take Disney. John Carter and The Lone Ranger are thought of as huge failures. Losing millions of dollars. Disney is still making buckets of money on their other films. Granted Disney probably can't have a huge lose every year for the next 10-20 years, or maybe they could.
Plus John Carter didn't actually lose all that much money in the real world. They wrote off all its expenses against its first quarter earnings, but it kept earning money after that (a fair amount in the international and DVD markets). Which was no doubt written off against expenses on other movies.

It probably never broke even, but it also probably wasn't any kind of company-threatening disaster, no matter how bad they made it look on paper.

Remember, Lord of the Rings never "made a profit." Nor did the Babylon 5 DVDs, with half a billion in sales.

I suspect Asylum doesn't have access to that kind of revenue-twisting, which explains why it can afford to make a profit on its movies.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:10 PM   #86
Bierboy
Seasoned gas passer

I don't think this has been posted, but, for those who don't want to sit through the whole thing, here's two minutes of AWESOMENESS...
Old 07-24-2013, 12:33 AM   #87
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bierboy View Post
I don't think this has been posted, but, for those who don't want to sit through the whole thing, here's two minutes of AWESOMENESS...
That was great! I have NOT seen Sharknado and really love that they did this for those that haven't. What fun! In fact, I don't know if I could watch the whole thing, but the short version made me laugh.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #88
sieglinde

It evidently is on On Demand. My criteria for a movie like this was did I get bored. Nope. Felt sorry for the sharks who in real life would have died rather quickly and if surviving the tornado, would have been thrashing around but not actively trying to feed.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:14 AM   #89
janry

I've seen worse movies.
janry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 11:30 AM   #90
cheerdude
Reed & Juliet's CPA

Next Friday, Regal Cinemas is doing a midnight showing
cheerdude is offline   Reply With Quote