TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Big Brother: Are we getting a fair representation of the house guests? (spoilers?)

NOTE: The news media has reported on some of the goings on in the house. While CBS hasn't shown any other houseguest saying racist comments, I believe it's been reported in many news outlets. This may contain spoilers!!

Just read this article:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/

We know Aaryn has been painted as a racist by the producers on the the CBS broadcast of the show, but as of yet have ignored comments by others in the house that would be considered bigoted. Should CBS at least mention these comments? Considering that the viewers have a stake in the game this year, should CBS paint a fairer picture of the house guests than they are now? Should Aaryn's comments be the only ones broadcast and mentioned?
Old 07-22-2013, 02:41 PM   #2
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Wrong forum sir.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

You are quite right. Glad it got moved. I had a meeting right after I posted that and forgot to request the move.

Sucks getting so old and forgetful
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
verdugan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Big Brother: Are we getting a fair representation of the house guests?
It's reality TV. By definition, we are not.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Watching the disclaimer again last night (for what reason it was there, I don't know), I kept thinking that a better disclaimer would have been. "Warning, what you are seeing is a representation of the last 48 hours of Big Brother. We are only showing you scenes we want to show you to move along the story line. Because of this, objects on your screen may not be as they really are. CBS retains the right to manipulate the story as we see fit."

Old 07-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #6
Shaunnick

I will say it is fair enough. The showrunners have three hours to show 168 hours worth of stuff. They have certain storylines they want to present (it is a TV show, after all) and not everything is as big a deal in the house as it is outside of the house.

Aaryn's actions have had more impact on the house than the actions of either Spencer, GinaMarie, Kaitlyn, or Jeremy. Aaryn's actions have been a part of the major divide in the house and continues to be a subject that comes up again and again in the house.

So again, it is as fair as it can be with the limited time they have to show us stuff.

And I say that as a show watcher and a live feeder.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:23 AM   #7
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
I will say it is fair enough. The showrunners have three hours to show 168 hours worth of stuff. They have certain storylines they want to present (it is a TV show, after all) and not everything is as big a deal in the house as it is outside of the house.

Aaryn's actions have had more impact on the house than the actions of either Spencer, GinaMarie, Kaitlyn, or Jeremy. Aaryn's actions have been a part of the major divide in the house and continues to be a subject that comes up again and again in the house.

So again, it is as fair as it can be with the limited time they have to show us stuff.

And I say that as a show watcher and a live feeder.
Since I know what has happened (since it's been in the media) with the bigoted comments by others than Aaryn, and as a viewer, this season we have a real impact on the game. I would feel terrible aiding someone like Jeremy for instance, or Spencer win this game with my vote, if it came out afterwards that this stuff is happening. If this had been a normal season, I'd totally agree with you.

And it's funny, because I think they could have shown Aaryn as a terrible person without the racist actions. She's made plenty of other nasty comments as well. So why single out one person with racism. At least mention that others have said racists things, but Aaryn is the worst.

Oh well, I guess I'm just obsessing too much on this. It's not the first time Big Brother has annoyed me. And I'm still watching this season.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
Shaunnick

I don't know how else to put it (I feel like I am working for the producers and not getting paid ) but the showrunners don't care what impact it has on you as a viewer voting for MVP, they only care what impact the actions houseguests make is to the other houseguests. No one has been as upset, hurt or bothered in the house with anyone as much as Aaryn. Aaryn brought Howard to his knees, where he cried and prayed for like ten minutes in private for the patience and strength to stand up to someone who was being not just ignorant, but cruel.

And I think that is what it is, while the others have said things in ignorance, Aaryn has gone out of her way seevral times to be cruel. She is a monster and has no sense of sympathy. She is a foolish girl who is very shortsighted.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:37 AM   #9
MonsterJoe
$('.electric').slide

Entertain me.

I think people should mind their own business and enjoy the show for what it is...Entertainment.

I don't care what story they tell because outside the house, these people mean nothing to me and impact my life in no way.
MonsterJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
Ment

No its not a fair representation of the houseguests...yes its always been that way in BB.
Ment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
bryhamm
randomize

Quote:
NOTE: The news media has reported on some of the goings on in the house. While CBS hasn't shown any other houseguest saying racist comments, I believe it's been reported in many news outlets. This may contain spoilers!!

Just read this article:

http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/

We know Aaryn has been painted as a racist by the producers on the the CBS broadcast of the show, but as of yet have ignored comments by others in the house that would be considered bigoted. Should CBS at least mention these comments? Considering that the viewers have a stake in the game this year, should CBS paint a fairer picture of the house guests than they are now? Should Aaryn's comments be the only ones broadcast and mentioned?

The viewers don't have a staked in the game. I think you meant "part" instead.

Bry, normally I would say you can hammer me any time baby -- Zevida

I should have frickin' bryhammed your balls yesterday -- KMan
bryhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:56 AM   #12
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaunnick View Post
I don't know how else to put it (I feel like I am working for the producers and not getting paid ) but the showrunners don't care what impact it has on you as a viewer voting for MVP, they only care what impact the actions houseguests make is to the other houseguests. No one has been as upset, hurt or bothered in the house with anyone as much as Aaryn. Aaryn brought Howard to his knees, where he cried and prayed for like ten minutes in private for the patience and strength to stand up to someone who was being not just ignorant, but cruel.

And I think that is what it is, while the others have said things in ignorance, Aaryn has gone out of her way seevral times to be cruel. She is a monster and has no sense of sympathy. She is a foolish girl who is very shortsighted.
I don't think they showed Howard on his knees.

Again, I don't care what the showrunners care or don't care, only what is right. I get Aaryn is a despicable human being. As long as we the viewers have a stake in the game, we deserve to see people in all their glory and base our vote on that. No MVP, I'd totally agree with you.

Of course the MVP was manipulated in the first place, so I'm probably whining about the wrong thing
Old 07-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryhamm View Post
The viewers don't have a staked in the game. I think you meant "part" instead.
semantics
Old 07-23-2013, 12:16 PM   #14
dimented
Comfortably Numb

Quote:
I don't think they showed Howard on his knees.
...snip
We absolutely did. In the episode where they showed Aryn flip over Candice's bed and Howard carried her away. After that they showed him on his knees praying to God to help give him the strength to get through this.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM   #15
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimented View Post
We absolutely did. In the episode where they showed Aryn flip over Candice's bed and Howard carried her away. After that they showed him on his knees praying to God to help give him the strength to get through this.
OK

I guess this is bothering me more than anyone else. Well me and the blogger I posted.

Move along.