TiVo Community
TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2013, 08:36 AM   #1
neastguy

Question HD in attic.. worth it to go to roof?

Just wondering for you using OTA .. I have it in the attic and I get pretty good reception.. just wondering how much of a difference it might make to stick it on the roof.. is it really worth the effort? thanks....
neastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 AM   #2
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neastguy View Post
Just wondering for you using OTA .. I have it in the attic and I get pretty good reception.. just wondering how much of a difference it might make to stick it on the roof.. is it really worth the effort? thanks....
Really depends on where you live. It will make signals a bit stronger, but if there isn't anything else there, then it wouldn't help.
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #3
atmuscarella

I agree really depends on where you are and what issues you have if any. With an antenna on your roof you should get higher signal strength and also have fewer multi-path issues. However if you receive all your channels now and don't have any issues you gain nothing.
R.I.P. - 08/06 - TiVo
05/08 - TiVo HD
06/08 - Panasonic 50PZ800U 50" Plazma!!
03/10 - Series 3
11/10 - Premiere
09/13 - Roamio
atmuscarella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:42 AM   #4
neastguy

thanks.. Im pretty sure Im getting all the channels... guess I'll leave it alone...

how long of a run in the cable before you start to lose picture strength... I have to run it from my attic down to my basement 2 story and then back up 2 storys for my bedroom tv .....ugh....
neastguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
jakerock
Hey ho howdy!

Quote:
thanks.. Im pretty sure Im getting all the channels... guess I'll leave it alone...

how long of a run in the cable before you start to lose picture strength... I have to run it from my attic down to my basement 2 story and then back up 2 storys for my bedroom tv .....ugh....
You start to lose signal strength immediately with a cable and it has increased loss for every foot of length. Just like the inside attic vs roof question. If you don't have enough signal strength then you should consider doing something. Shorter cables, an amplifier (which should be as close to the antenna as possible so it boosts the signal where it has the best signal to noise ratio), move your antenna... all these things would improve your signal strength at the receiver. But if it's working you don't need to do anything.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:03 AM   #6
eric102

Quote:

That shouldn't be any problem.

On mine I run from my roof down 2 story's to the family room, split it 4 ways there, then one of the splits runs back up 2 story's to a 3 way splitter, then back across the whole length of the upper story to a TiVo in the bedroom. I'm getting excellent signal strength to all the splits and the nearest broadcasting tower is about 35 miles away. I do have a pre-amplifier on the antenna which really helped when I started doing all the splits. But before the splits it was working fine on a long run to a single device without the amplifier.
eric102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #7
smithken31100

One thing about digital signals is that they either work or they don't, there is very little in between. If you have a good picture all of the time then a higher signal strength isn't going to do you any good. If your picture freezes occasionally or you get digital artifacts then a higher signal strength might help.
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #8
hefe
Rebus Philbin

Depending on the exact frequency you're looking at, you'll lose about 1 dB every 20 feet with RG6 cable.

If you have even decent signal strength at the antenna, you're going to be fine. I have a passive attic antenna that runs from the second floor attic to a distribution panel in the basement. Each splitter output is about -10 dB, and those run anywhere from 15 to 50 feet to their final destinations. I installed thinking if I needed a preamp for the attic, I would put one in, but turns out I don't.

Hefe's a cruel man, but fair.~edhara
That hefe, he's really smart!~Fish Man
hefe is offline   Reply With Quote