TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #1
Alfer
WOOSAH!

Thumbs up ME-TV found a new fan...Me

Not sure how many folks have access to it. Plus you probably wouldn't appreciate the nostalgia of it if you're under say 40 or so. It's only available via OTA antenna for now but I really dig a lot of the old classic shows they have.

They show everything from the old Batman series, Bob Newhart, Bewitched, Twilight Zone, Star Trek etc.

If you like "old school" TV from the 50's,60's,70's, I highly recommend trying to tune it in.

http://metvnetwork.com/
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
Not sure how many folks have access to it. Plus you probably wouldn't appreciate the nostalgia of it if you're under say 40 or so. It's only available via OTA antenna for now but I really dig a lot of the old classic shows they have.

They show everything from the old Batman series, Bob Newhart, Bewitched, Twilight Zone, Star Trek etc.

If you like "old school" TV from the 50's,60's,70's, I highly recommend trying to tune it in.

The community center for seniors that I work with has an OTA antenna (I set it up) and we watch this channel. They switch between this and the Judge shows (Judge Judy, and such). Much better than watching Jerry Springer which is their other fave.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 AM   #3
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

It's on one of the "UHF" stations here in the NYC area, and DirecTV picked up the station. I watch some old episodes of M*A*S*H on it. not HD, but then again neither was their content!
Old 07-23-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
cmontyburns
Excellent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
It's on one of the "UHF" stations here in the NYC area, and DirecTV picked up the station. I watch some old episodes of M*A*S*H on it. not HD, but then again neither was their content!
That's exactly what I watch on it. My TiVo always grabs a couple of episodes of M*A*S*H each day as suggestions. I like to unwind before bed with an ep or two. Funny that I can quote almost all of them from memory.
cmontyburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:25 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmontyburns View Post
That's exactly what I watch on it. My TiVo always grabs a couple of episodes of M*A*S*H each day as suggestions. I like to unwind before bed with an ep or two. Funny that I can quote almost all of them from memory.
I can quote just about any of them from the Henry Blake years almost word for word. I was ok with the early Potter years, but once Winchester joined, I really only watched out of habit. Never liked the character. So I rarely watch those reruns.

Every time I make ribs now, my boys call them Adams Ribs
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM   #6
betts4
I am Spartacus!

TC CLUB MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
Every time I make ribs now, my boys call them Adams Ribs
And I get that!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"He's a freak!! Take him apart and lose the pieces under the couch!"
betts4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #7
nyc13

Love the four-shot of Brady Bunch on late Sunday morning (they call it Brady Brunch ) Especially since it usually means the three-part episodes (e.g. Hawaii trip) are back-to-back.
nyc13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 AM   #8
nirisahn

We get it in Denver. I've been watching old Perry Mason episodes. "It's incompetent, irrelevant, and immaterial" seems to be their favorite line.
nirisahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:53 PM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

meTV comes from Chicago from WCIU, which was a small independent UHF channel.

And I can't get it. It's blocked on UVerse. I guess I'm considered too far away.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:11 PM   #10
sharkster

I like it too! I've mostly been watching 'That Girl'. They were airing it every morning at 8:00, M-F, in order, and I was loving it. Each afternoon I watched that day's ep and then, shortly into season five, they stopped and put something yucky there. Now they just have it here and there, and not in order so I was forced (ha!) to buy the DVDs so I can watch it all on my own.

But I kept my SP because I like snagging the episodes here and there. Am working on the DVDs too, when I have time.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #11
ferrumpneuma
fading fast

I made a mythTV dvr and 90% of what it records in on the ME family of stations.
ferrumpneuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:50 PM   #12
Azlen

Cox cable in Phoenix has a few of the secondary digital stations in their lineup so I get it through that and not OTA. ThisTV is very similar. It shows Patty Duke, Green Acres etc. but also movies and more recent shows like Sabrina
Azlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 02:50 PM   #13
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Like Azlen already said, it is available on cable, maybe not all cable, but it is carried.
We just recently got a new channel called MOVIES! which also originated in Chicago
Old 07-23-2013, 03:39 PM   #14
gossamer88
HDTV Snob

Never heard of this channel 'til today. Cablevision does carry it, but only in CT. I'm hoping to get it soon since The Honeymooners, The Odd Couple and The Dick Van Dyke Show are on there.
gossamer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 05:12 PM   #15
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

watched every ep of the mary tyler moore show on metv, and when they got to the last episode, instead of showing it, they started over.

i looked the series finale up on youtube, but they didn't earn any points from me for leaving off the finale after i stuck with them through all seven seasons.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:56 PM   #16
jcondon

It is also Verizon Fios in the NY Metro area. We watched Emergency on it.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
mattack

I'd watch them if the shows weren't highly edited. I haven't proven that they are, but they almost certainly are. Probably at least 10 minutes are cut out of each episode.. (e.g. original Trek episodes were about 51 minutes IIRC.. Current 'hour' shows are about 42 minutes, and cable stations often put even more commercials than broadcast networks.)
mattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #18
Hot4Bo
Finally an Avatar!

TC CLUB MEMBER
I wish I could get this channel! Apparently, it's only available on Uverse here in South Florida.

Hot4Bo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #19
Michael S

I only started watching it in April. Because here in St. Louis it started on local the MyNetwork station. Which is a pain to receive since they have such a lousy signal. Then in April luckily they switched to the local CBS station. Mostly been watching it for M*A*S*H and Svengoolie on Saturday night.
Michael S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 AM   #20
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by gossamer88 View Post
Never heard of this channel 'til today. Cablevision does carry it, but only in CT. I'm hoping to get it soon since The Honeymooners, The Odd Couple and The Dick Van Dyke Show are on there.
If you can get OTA by other means, it's Ch. 43 (UHF)
Old 07-24-2013, 08:24 AM   #21
allan
I survived the Mayan

It doesn't look like DirecTV has it in Kansas City.

BEEP
allan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:32 AM   #22
sharkster

I'm wondering if some people have the channel but cannot tell, and here's why I say that -

In my market, if you didn't actually tune in the channel to see the logo during programming you'd never know what the channel is. On the channel guide it's not called MeTV. It's called KAME (as in call letters) - something or other - as a local affiliate type of channel.
sharkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #23
pdhenry
Every Day's Saturday

It's the only ".2" channel in my local area that's not carried by Comcast. But the corresponding ".1" channel airs about half their content as MeTV (the other half is religious programming).
pdhenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

There are a few other similar channels. I think a lot of these shows they show are cheap or in the public domain for syndication. So these channels have been popping up as a way to sell advertising without having to pay a lot for content.
Old 07-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #25
waynomo
My One Time

Here in Virginia on FIOS we have Antenna TV. It's on channel 482. They are playing one of my old all time favorite shows, The Burns and Allen Show. This show was a bit before my time, but I remembering discovering it as a kid and thinking I had found a gold mine. I loved the humor. My wife and I are watching a few a week.

I find it hard to believe that all these shows are in the public domain. Wikipedia reports:

Quote:
The kinescope recordings of the live telecasts from the 1950–1952 seasons of The George Burns and Gracie Allen Show have fallen into the public domain. . . . All of the TV shows were produced under the banner of McCadden Productions, the company that George Burns ran. The McCadden catalog is owned by Sony Pictures Television.
(It ran through 1958.)

Seems they are running the entire catalog whether in the public domain or not.

No matter, I am sure they can be broadcast for real cheap. The copyright holders are probably thrilled to monetize their value anyway they can.

Last edited by waynomo : 07-24-2013 at 01:02 PM.
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 12:48 PM   #26
waynomo
My One Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfer View Post
It's only available via OTA antenna for now

If you put in your zip code in the search box on the right, it will tell you what channels it is available on in your area. For example:

You can watch Me-TV Washington, DC on the following stations:
WJLA (Over the air): 7.2
Comcast: 204
Cox: 804
Verizon: 462
Antietam Cable TV: 174
waynomo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 01:45 PM   #27
n548gxg

In the NYC market, we have ME TV, CoziTV, AntennaTV, Bounce (features programming geared toward blacks and African Americans in the 25-54 age range.) and ThisTV
n548gxg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #28
SueAnn
Minion

Im embarrassed to say that I've been watching Little House on the Prairie on Me-Too.
SueAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:08 PM   #29
Linnemir

Quote:
Originally Posted by n548gxg View Post
In the NYC market, we have ME TV, CoziTV, AntennaTV, Bounce (features programming geared toward blacks and African Americans in the 25-54 age range.) and ThisTV
I'm in NH, and comcast has had ME and This for well over a year (my sense of time is lousy ) ... Cozi just arrived; it was formerly Retro. My hubby and I LOVE most of the oldies, though Dick Van Dyke and Mary Tyler Moor are not faves!

On the downside, we recently lost WeatherScan, which I loved as it gave the pollen and allergy counts.
Linnemir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #30
Bettamojo5
Rolling Along

In Indianapolis we have ME TV, CoziTV, AntennaTV, Bounce and ThisTV
I like watching Svengoolie on ME TV on Saturday nights. Reminds me of Sammy Terry who was a local host of Friday and Saturday night horror movies in Indianapolis.