TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2013, 12:53 PM   #1
aindik

Newsroom 7/21/2013

Much better this week. I feel like I have to watch this show in total silence to get the dialog. Headphones help, too. Which means I'll be watching it, like I did this one, after midnight when everyone else in the house is asleep.

I still didn't hear all the dialog in the scene with Lisa. There was one line she said that I didn't hear after trying three times.

Will screaming at the cop was a bit much. As was MacKenzie throwing a drink at Will for some not very well explained reason.

But the major plot points of Genoa and Maggie in Africa seem to be moving forward. We can only assume she ends up held captive.
aindik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
busyba
The Funcooker

I just turn on the CC now. I'm glad that it's not necessarily because I'm getting old.

"of course, you are 100% correct" --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"busyba is officially my favorite poster." --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

busyba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 PM   #3
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyba View Post
I just turn on the CC now. I'm glad that it's not necessarily because I'm getting old.
Yeah. I'm watching again with CC on just to get all the Sorkinese.

Olivia Munn was almost back to line spewing again. "Now I need to re-evaluate my life..."

We hear for the first time that Will is a lawyer who was a prosecutor and the ACN legal correspondent.

I think the whole Sex in the City romance is way overblown.

Once again, those tweeter internet geeks are such asshats.
Mac Mini NAS with 9 7 x 2TB drives.
UVerse and OTA

MikeAndrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #4
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by netringer View Post
We hear for the first time that Will is a lawyer who was a prosecutor and the ACN legal correspondent.
I believe that we already knew from Season 1 that he used to be a prosecutor.

The legal correspondent thing is definitely new though.

Old 07-23-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
Satchel

I could really do without the whole Maggie/Jim relationship, it's really dragging the show down for me.
This is a well-written show, but I fear I may be losing interest. Knowing how the Occupy Wallstreet turns out and other items are only compelling if you care about the characters.

Sloan and Will are the only ones I care about anymore.

The whole Genoa fiasco coming up is boring. Since we know they get in trouble, I'm going on the assumption that they were set up to make Obama look bad or to get someone there fired. The flash-forward to lawyers and depositions takes most of the fun out if it for me.
Satchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 01:17 AM   #6
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satchel View Post
I could really do without the whole Maggie/Jim relationship, it's really dragging the show down for me.
Yep. I don't even remember what triggered Maggie's rant at the SiTC bus.

Quote:
The whole Genoa fiasco coming up is boring. Since we know they get in trouble, I'm going on the assumption that they were set up to make Obama look bad or to get someone there fired. The flash-forward to lawyers and depositions takes most of the fun out if it for me.
Sorkin said there was a real CNN fiasco where the producer turned the guy saying "If there was Sarin gas..." into "there was Sarin Gas."

We saw the Gunny saying he dropped the gas. Sorkin's story is a bit more bonifide.
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-23-2013, 01:33 AM   #7
Satchel

Quote:

Sorkin said there was a real CNN fiasco where the producer turned the guy saying "If there was Sarin gas..." into "there was Sarin Gas."

We saw the Gunny saying he dropped the gas. Sorkin's story is a bit more bonifide.
Yeah but I can't help but think they're getting set up. Maybe not though.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:04 AM   #8
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

I have a BINGO!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mauree...f=maureen-ryan
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-23-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
Yeah but I can't help but think they're getting set up. Maybe not though.
The story has to be wrong enough that somebody sues ACN.
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #10
busyba
The Funcooker

Quote:
She was in a bad mood to begin with, then as she was walking down the sidewalk, the SitC bus came by and hit a huge puddle and she got totally soaked by the splash, just like in the opening credits of SitC.

Quote:
The Operation Genoa plotline is loosely based on CNN's coverage of Operation Tailwind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tailwind

Old 07-23-2013, 09:12 AM   #11
GoPackGo

Quote:
The Operation Genoa plotline is loosely based on CNN's coverage of Operation Tailwind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tailwind
Sails on boats use... Tailwind!

Last edited by GoPackGo : 07-23-2013 at 09:11 PM.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #12
smak
TV MA SLV

Is Genoa the first thing that has been totally made up? I mean, I know it's based on something real, but the rest of the show has been about actual real events.

-smak-
smak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 PM   #13
aindik

Well, given the lawyers, I'm not so sure Genoa isn't made up in the show universe, too.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:18 PM   #14
MikeAndrews
Registered abuser

Quote:
...The Operation Genoa plotline is loosely based on CNN's coverage of Operation Tailwind. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Tailwind
You watch. "Gunny is 86 years old and wasn't sure what he remembered and what he did in training...."
UVerse and OTA

Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
NorthAlabama
tabasco rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
Much better this week.
agreed, it met my expectations much more than last weeks ep.
Quote:
Olivia Munn was almost back to line spewing again. "Now I need to re-evaluate my life..."
that line seemed out of character to me. if she's as big a nerd as she professes, wouldn't she already be aware of the ignore button on cell phones? they've been around since she was in high school.
Quote:
i'm so glad the love triangle (rectangle, maybe polygon?) was disolved so the characters can explore other avenues in their lives outside the office. those relationships almost took over the first season.

The truth will set you free. But not until it is finished with you. - David Foster Wallace
NorthAlabama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 09:18 AM   #16
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Much better this week. I feel like I have to watch this show in total silence to get the dialog. Headphones help, too. Which means I'll be watching it, like I did this one, after midnight when everyone else in the house is asleep.

I still didn't hear all the dialog in the scene with Lisa. There was one line she said that I didn't hear after trying three times.

Will screaming at the cop was a bit much. As was MacKenzie throwing a drink at Will for some not very well explained reason.

But the major plot points of Genoa and Maggie in Africa seem to be moving forward. We can only assume she ends up held captive.
I also liked this episode a lot better, and yes, it's hard to follow all the dialog and found myself rewinding a couple of times. I also think I'll start watching with CC on as well.

They also started falling into Sorkin speech / dialog patterns much more this episode. In one case, I could almost guess the next line.

I like Jim sparring with the other Romney reporter. "I get it, competition"

My son caught the A-Rod reference!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:17 AM   #17
TAsunder
Debates Ghee vs Gi

Anyone who was hoping that the romance storylines would be good hasn't seen an Aaron Sorkin show before. They are ALWAYS poorly written in his shows.
TAsunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 10:19 AM   #18
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
I also liked this episode a lot better, and yes, it's hard to follow all the dialog and found myself rewinding a couple of times. I also think I'll start watching with CC on as well.

They also started falling into Sorkin speech / dialog patterns much more this episode. In one case, I could almost guess the next line.

I like Jim sparring with the other Romney reporter. "I get it, competition"

My son caught the A-Rod reference!
How long as Mac been in America? Does she really follow baseball enough to know that reference off the top of her head?

Imagine someone with that accent calling into Mike Francesa.

Mac in Manhattan, what's up Mac?

Also, September of 2011 was before the whole pinch hit and bench in the postseason thing. Arod was still Arod then, even though he only hit 16 HRs and only played in 99 games. He was still, as I recall, batting third.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:12 AM   #19
Idearat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthAlabama View Post
if she's as big a nerd as she professes, wouldn't she already be aware of the ignore button on cell phones? they've been around since she was in high school.
She's aware of the ignore button, just not the implications of using it. If you call someone and it immediately goes to VM then the phone is off or out of coverage.

If it rings on and on before going to VM then the person is not near the phone, doesn't hear it or for some other reason doesn't answer.

But if it rings only a couple times before going to VM then most likely the person saw who it was and rejected it. What she didn't realize was that she'd been announcing the fact she was rejecting specific calls to the callers for years.

Me, if I want to reject an incoming call without announcing the fact I mute the ringer and let it time out out on it's own. For persistent callers I mark them in my phonebook as "send straight to VM" and it goes straight there with the phone only lighting up briefly. I'll later blame it on being in a poor coverage area or my flaky phone.
Idearat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 02:31 PM   #20
Jonathan_S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idearat View Post
She's aware of the ignore button, just not the implications of using it. If you call someone and it immediately goes to VM then the phone is off or out of coverage.

If it rings on and on before going to VM then the person is not near the phone, doesn't hear it or for some other reason doesn't answer.

But if it rings only a couple times before going to VM then most likely the person saw who it was and rejected it. What she didn't realize was that she'd been announcing the fact she was rejecting specific calls to the callers for years.

Me, if I want to reject an incoming call without announcing the fact I mute the ringer and let it time out out on it's own. For persistent callers I mark them in my phonebook as "send straight to VM" and it goes straight there with the phone only lighting up briefly. I'll later blame it on being in a poor coverage area or my flaky phone.
I was just about to write something almost like this.

As a nerd, if I was designing an ignore button it wouldn't let the caller know they were being ignored. I'm not shocked that someone, even a nerd, would be aware of the button but not aware it changed the voicemail behavior the caller observed.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM   #21
Jesda
CAPTAIN AWESOME

Interesting show with crap characters, just like last season.

Jim and Panface girl could be easily replaced by more compelling actors. Heck, just drop that entire storyline.

My blog:
Jesda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:04 PM   #22
Shaunnick

I like Jim. If only we could get rid of Maggie.
Shaunnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
scooterboy
Wookin' Pa Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesda View Post
Panface girl
Ok that made me laugh. I just told my wife last night that with every new show/movie I see her in, her head has gotten bigger and rounder.
scooterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 03:41 PM   #24
Regina
I've got Jewbs!

Flip & Fry Wall Street!

"In a world..."

Made me LOL for real!
Old 07-24-2013, 04:00 PM   #25
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
How long as Mac been in America? Does she really follow baseball enough to know that reference off the top of her head?

Imagine someone with that accent calling into Mike Francesa.

Mac in Manhattan, what's up Mac?

Also, September of 2011 was before the whole pinch hit and bench in the postseason thing. Arod was still Arod then, even though he only hit 16 HRs and only played in 99 games. He was still, as I recall, batting third.
I thought the same thing. It did seem weird coming from her. But his name was in the news a lot so I guess, from a pop culture standpoint she might know it.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #26
Gunnyman
Super FunBall

Quote:

Well I DID have black beans in my burrito at lunch
Old 07-24-2013, 04:10 PM   #27
busyba
The Funcooker

Anybody else freaked out by how in some (most?) scenes this season, Maggie looks like she has no eyebrows?

Old 07-24-2013, 04:49 PM   #28
GoPackGo

Quote:
Anybody else freaked out by how in some (most?) scenes this season, Maggie looks like she has no eyebrows?
Allison Pill was adorable last season. I don't know what happened, but she is not remotely attractive to me this season.
GoPackGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 04:54 PM   #29
Satchel

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
Allison Pill was adorable last season. I don't know what happened, but she is not remotely attractive to me this season.
Totally...and the short pink hair in some of the newer scenes doesn't do her any favors.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:09 PM   #30
gchance
4 8 15 16 23 42

Quote:
Totally...and the short pink hair in some of the newer scenes doesn't do her any favors.

|
|
|

5k:
10k:
13.1M
26.2M
gchance is offline   Reply With Quote