TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Help Center
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-22-2013, 01:24 PM   #1
Larry3570

Channel Selection on TiVo HD

I just got through talking to a TiVo CSR about setting the channels I want to receive, that is going through the channel list and deleting "The Jewelry Channel", channels in languages I don't understand, etc. The following is our conversation:

"Larry: When I am selecting which channels I want to see or not see on the channel select screen how do I decide whether to select the low channel number like "25 WFXT" or the high number like "865 WFXTHD" they both give me a HD picture. In fact for reasons I don't understand some channels have 3 or more channels like "25 WFXT", "865 WFXTHD" and "132WFXT" (made up channel numbers). And I'm not counting 25-2, 25-3 etc.

Matthew: That is completely up to you.
Matthew: I always watch the higher up channel as that is generally the HD one. If both are HD to you, it is then completely up to your preference.

Larry: So there is no difference at all??? Why is there even an option?

Matthew: That is up to your cable provider. Generally those lower end channels are standard definition.

Larry: OK

Matthew: Are there any other questions I can assist you with today?"

Is that true? I currently have all of the available channels checked and if I have a Season Pass for, say, "CSI: Rest Area" the Upcoming Episodes list shows the same episode 2 or 3 times, once for each channel number. However somehow TiVo knows which one to record.

But maybe I should have just one selected, but which one?

Any suggestions or comments?

Thanks, Larry

TiVo HD, Denon Receiver, Pioneer Plasma, Local channels OTA (and they look better than Comcast)
Larry3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Season passes are, and have always been, channel specific. When you set a season pass to record CSI: Grammar School Cafeteria on channel 287, that's the only channel that program will be recorded from.
Old 07-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
bshrock

Press info when tuned to the channel to see what the video quality is.

Changing a Program's Aspect using the Zoom / Aspect button the digital channels will not change.

If you have a Cable Card then the "25-2, 25-3 etc" are broadcast channels received from the antenna.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 05:31 PM   #4
Larry3570

Quote:
Originally Posted by scandia101 View Post
Season passes are, and have always been, channel specific. When you set a season pass to record CSI: Grammar School Cafeteria on channel 287, that's the only channel that program will be recorded from.
Very interesting scandia. I thought if I made a Season Pass for CSI: Truckstop Restroom on channel 666 it would prioritize 666 but if 666 was not available for the next episode TiVo would select another channel.

Do you think it makes any difference whether I have multiple channel numbers for the same network selected?

Based on the CSR's story I guess I should delete the lower number channels leaving at least 1 channel for each network/station. However I wonder if I do that if I will lose single digit control of my primary channels (IE: 2,4,5,7) and have to remember (843, 791, 868, 853) or whether there is some scheme to have 4 turn on 791?
Larry3570 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry3570 View Post
Very interesting scandia. I thought if I made a Season Pass for CSI: Truckstop Restroom on channel 666 it would prioritize 666 but if 666 was not available for the next episode TiVo would select another channel.
That doesn't even make sense. If ABC Family is delivered on three different channels, the programming on all three channels would be identical.

Quote:
Do you think it makes any difference whether I have multiple channel numbers for the same network selected?
Yes and no.

Quote:
Based on the CSR's story I guess I should delete the lower number channels leaving at least 1 channel for each network/station. However I wonder if I do that if I will lose single digit control of my primary channels (IE: 2,4,5,7) and have to remember (843, 791, 868, 853) or whether there is some scheme to have 4 turn on 791?

Old 07-23-2013, 08:58 AM   #6
jrtroo
User

Quote:
However I wonder if I do that if I will lose single digit control of my primary channels (IE: 2,4,5,7) and have to remember (843, 791, 868, 853) or whether there is some scheme to have 4 turn on 791?
You can still enter any channel number you wish. It never ceases to amaze me how many folks with Tivo watch live TV.
Old 07-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #7
Soapm

Quote:
"Larry: When I am selecting which channels I want to see or not see on the channel select screen how do I decide whether to select the low channel number like "25 WFXT" or the high number like "865 WFXTHD" they both give me a HD picture. In fact for reasons I don't understand some channels have 3 or more channels like "25 WFXT", "865 WFXTHD" and "132WFXT" (made up channel numbers). And I'm not counting 25-2, 25-3 etc.)
Your question isn't really a Tivo question per se, it's more of a cable question though it seems like you have an antenna hooked up also (or you did "25-2").

My suggestion would be to go to the channel selection screen and deselect the channels you don't want. According to your cable provider channel 25 isn't HD but channel 865 is. Deselecting channels leaves no doubt which Tivo pays attention to.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 07:39 PM   #8
Soapm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrtroo View Post
You can still enter any channel number you wish. It never ceases to amaze me how many folks with Tivo watch live TV.
How do you know what new season passes to add? My opinion, DVR's are mainly for people who watch little TV so to make sure they see just what they want when they want you record and have it at the ready. Now, once you've seen your recorded shows then live TV is next on the list.
Soapm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
My opinion, DVR's are mainly for people who watch little TV so to make sure they see just what they want when they want you record and have it at the ready. Now, once you've seen your recorded shows then live TV is next on the list.
Because people that watch a lot of TV can just watch whatever is on at the moment?
Your statement is very naive
Old 07-23-2013, 10:22 PM   #10
jrtroo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soapm View Post
How do you know what new season passes to add?
Suggestions, primarily, along with word of mouth.