TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > TiVo TV Talk > Now Playing - TV Show Talk
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-19-2013, 10:48 PM   #1
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Lots of Premium Channel shows to watch over the next few weeks

I watch several premium TV shows, but since I'm cheap, I only subscribe to the Premium channels a few months per year. Called D* tonight to see if they had any specials and scored all 4 movie channels (HBO, SHO, MAX, STARZ) for $25 per month for the next 3 months.

Currently downloading via VOD the following most recent seasons:

Game of Thrones
Nurse Jackie
Veep
Hunted
Banshee
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena
Spartacus: Vengeance
Spartacus: War of the Damned
Da Vinci's Demons

Also, the first three episodes of Dexter and the first episode of The Newsroom (and set up my series recordings for the rest of them).

I should be good until January or February when I do it again.

Man, I love Video On Demand.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:42 PM   #2
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Finished the whole season of Veep today (excellent) and just started on Nurse Jackie (on the third episode now).

I wonder if the Premium Channels realize they're losing revenue by keeping episodes of all series available On Demand?

I could pay for Premiums one month per year and see all their shows (but usually have them 3-4 months).
Old 07-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
Hoffer
Captain Chaos

Ray Donovan is currently airing on Showtime I think. I have it on my DVR, but haven't watched an episode yet. It might be worth watching.

Also, you don't like Boardwalk Empire? That's a great show. Maybe you're already caught up. I think a new season starts soon.

I gave up on True Blood this year. I watched the first 2 episodes of this season and just quit. I don't care about what's happening in that show anymore.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:18 PM   #4
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

I'll look into Ray Donovan, and yes, I'm all caught up on Boardwalk Empire. I probably won't have any premiums by the time it airs, so I'll have to catch up on the upcoming season of BE next year.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
I watch several premium TV shows, but since I'm cheap, I only subscribe to the Premium channels a few months per year. Called D* tonight to see if they had any specials and scored all 4 movie channels (HBO, SHO, MAX, STARZ) for $25 per month for the next 3 months.

Currently downloading via VOD the following most recent seasons:

Game of Thrones
Nurse Jackie
Veep
Hunted
Banshee
Spartacus: Gods of the Arena
Spartacus: Vengeance
Spartacus: War of the Damned
Da Vinci's Demons

Also, the first three episodes of Dexter and the first episode of The Newsroom (and set up my series recordings for the rest of them).

I should be good until January or February when I do it again.

Man, I love Video On Demand.
Make sure you check the watch by dates. They don't let you keep the shows forever. And I'm not sure if those shows are available once you cancel your sub to that channel.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:52 AM   #6
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartanstew View Post
Finished the whole season of Veep today (excellent) and just started on Nurse Jackie (on the third episode now).

I wonder if the Premium Channels realize they're losing revenue by keeping episodes of all series available On Demand?

I could pay for Premiums one month per year and see all their shows (but usually have them 3-4 months).
See my post above. They don't let you keep the shows a full year. Only a couple of months usually. For instance, I downloaded the first S2 episode of The Newsroom, and I had to watch it by 10/1.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
aindik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveknj View Post
See my post above. They don't let you keep the shows a full year. Only a couple of months usually. For instance, I downloaded the first S2 episode of The Newsroom, and I had to watch it by 10/1.
I think the point is you pick a couple months a year and watch everything, on demand, during those months, and don't pay for the channels the other, say, 9 months. You could, for example, pay for premiums in June, July and August and watch everything since September of the prior year.
aindik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #8
Steveknj
Lost in New Joisey

Quote:
Originally Posted by aindik View Post
I think the point is you pick a couple months a year and watch everything, on demand, during those months, and don't pay for the channels the other, say, 9 months. You could, for example, pay for premiums in June, July and August and watch everything since September of the prior year.
Ahhhh, ok. Makes sense. Just better put a lot of time aside for TV
Old 07-22-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
spartanstew
Thanks 4 the Update

Correct, all the shows have expiration dates once downloaded (most are about 3-6 months away), so I just have to watch them before that date, which shouldn't be a problem.

Anything downloaded stays on the harddrive whether you cancel the premium channel or not.

I just finished the 2013 season on Nurse Jackie last night, and added all the Ray Donovan's.