TiVo Community
TiVo Community
Go Back   TiVo Community > Main TiVo Forums > TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs
TiVo Community
Forum Jump

Old 07-21-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
willp2

Tivo HD - Some program data not missing

Hello, my Tivo HD's guide seems to be damaged or something. If I bring up the guide, everything seems to be there, but if I go into a show and look for additional showings, none are there for most shows.

As a result, most shows aren't recording. Some are, but most aren't.

I did the guided setup and nothing has changed.

is there any way to fix this without losing all my season passes and recorded shows?

Thanks

Last edited by willp2 : 07-21-2013 at 12:24 PM.
willp2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 02:09 PM   #2
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Have you done troubleshooting step #1 and rebooted it?
After that I'd force a manual service connection to Tivo
Old 07-21-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
willp2

Sorry, step #1 of what exactly?

I have did reboot and force a manual connection however.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

Quote:
Originally Posted by willp2 View Post
Sorry, step #1 of what exactly?

I have did reboot and force a manual connection however.
Troubleshooting step #1 in almost any situation is "reboot/restart the device" as much as folks like to think they have common sense, the number of times someone has not done a reboot is always higher than we'd suspect, thus I had to ask.

Sub-rule #1A, never assume the OP did anything unless they say so explicitly.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
willp2

And here I was thinking I was missing an FAQ or something

I work in IT and yes agreed, first thing we do is have people reboot. If people ever figure that out on their own, I'll be out of a job.

So yes, I did do several reboots as this has been going on for awhile now. I also tried a kick start 57 for good measure.

If I do end up having to wipe this thing out, is there a way to restore the season passes? I'd think its odd that you can transfer them to a new box, but not back to the same one.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:52 PM   #6
ggieseke

If it was a Premiere you could back up your SPs with kmttg, but I don't think that works on S3s.

In the old days if you subscribed to Guru Guides or turned on Kid Zone your SPs would be backed up to TiVo's webservers and would restore in the case of catastrophic failure. I'm not sure if that still works.

I'd grab my phone, go into the SP Manager, and start taking screen pics.

P.S. If you have another TiVo you can copy them to it online at tivo.com.
ggieseke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
unitron

Quote:
Hello, my Tivo HD's guide seems to be damaged or something. If I bring up the guide, everything seems to be there, but if I go into a show and look for additional showings, none are there for most shows.

As a result, most shows aren't recording. Some are, but most aren't.

I did the guided setup and nothing has changed.

is there any way to fix this without losing all my season passes and recorded shows?

Thanks
Hit the Guide button on the remote, go to any channel, go to the right, and then use the channel down button and see how far into the future you can go.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
willp2

It's got a couple of weeks of programming listed and it will add more when it connects.

But if I go into any show and try and look at additional showings, there are none there. Even shows that are listed back to back in the guide. So a marathon of a show is running and I select one and look for additional showings and there are none there listed.

There are a hand full of shows, mostly stuff that records in the morning for some reason that are working and have all the info.
Old 07-22-2013, 02:33 PM   #9
bshrock

Force a re-calculation by swapping the order of a couple of lower numbered Season Passes.
bshrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
willp2

I have now tried that. I also tried running the guided setup again, but picked a different cable provider entirely, hoping to get it reset completely to different info.

Then once that was done I ran through it again and reset it to the correct provider and I'm still getting the same thing. The guide is there full of program data, but if you go to view additional showings nothing is there. And the to do list shows only a few shows that for some reason seem to be not affected by this.

Very odd stuff.
Old 07-23-2013, 09:23 PM   #11
dianebrat
Uncontrolled Force

At this point I'd offload the recordings to a PC, then replace the drive with a new image on a fresh larger drive. A fresh image is available in a few threads, time for that 2TB expansion!
Old 07-24-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
willp2

Sadly I'm just not sure I'm willing to do that at this point. While I love my Tivo, it's getting harder and harder to justify the trouble and the cost.

I'll have to think about this and see if its maybe time to give up on it and move to something else.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:37 AM   #13
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Sadly I'm just not sure I'm willing to do that at this point. While I love my Tivo, it's getting harder and harder to justify the trouble and the cost.

I'll have to think about this and see if its maybe time to give up on it and move to something else.
Buh Bye!
Tivo (S2-retired, 500gb HD, 2 units)
TivoHD (2tb HD, chip mod, 2 units)
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Tivo Premiere4 (2tb (JMFS) HD)
philhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:04 AM   #14
dlfl
Cranky old novice

If you use a Tuning Adapter try either powering it down for 4 hours or disconnecting the USB cable for 4 hours. There are several strange behaviors that this fixes, although I haven't heard of the particular one you're having.

What is the GC date in System Information, third screen? If this is a week or more old, that is probably causing the problem and can usually be fixed by <see first paragraph>.

"It must be swell to be so perfect and odor-free" -- Del Griffith

VideoReDo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

pyTivo users: Try
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
dlfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
willp2

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
Buh Bye!
Nice. I guess I was hoping for someone to set me straight as I just hate the idea of using a cable company DVR. But thanks, that helps make the decision a little easier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfl View Post
What is the GC date in System Information, third screen? If this is a week or more old, that is probably causing the problem and can usually be fixed by <see first paragraph>.
The GC date is yesterday. I do have to do the power down thing every few weeks to keep my guide data up to date. And I did leave it off yesterday for good measure when I did the guided setup again.

Thanks again for trying to help with this.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:15 AM   #16
unitron

Quote:
Nice. I guess I was hoping for someone to set me straight as I just hate the idea of using a cable company DVR. But thanks, that helps make the decision a little easier.

The GC date is yesterday. I do have to do the power down thing every few weeks to keep my guide data up to date. And I did leave it off yesterday for good measure when I did the guided setup again.

Thanks again for trying to help with this.
Don't give up on the TiVo just yet on account of one snarky reply from someone who really should be old enough to know better.

"I am altering the deal. Pray I don't alter it any further."

Darth TiVo, 14 February, 2011
unitron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:06 AM   #17
willp2

Well now I've had a couple random reboots, so I'm thinking hard drive.

Now I'm debating either the cable co DVR or double down and get a Premier 4. Is there any way the get a new Tivo but keep my current rate?
Old 07-25-2013, 06:45 AM   #18
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Yes

You caught me on a bad day. Sorry

Disk corruption and problems sure can cause all sorts of symptoms
Due to db errors during read
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 07-25-2013, 07:20 AM   #19
steve614
what ru lookin at?

Quote:
Is there any way the get a new Tivo but keep my current rate?
Most likely, but you would have to purchase the new DVR through TiVo, and pay full price for the hardware.

F*CK CANCER!
steve614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #20
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve614 View Post
Most likely, but you would have to purchase the new DVR through TiVo, and pay full price for the hardware.
That is one of my pet peeves about tivo. No upgrade discount, no tools to transfer programs to a new tivo and very flakey season pass transfer options. Tivohd to premiere do not work right

Worse is not allowing transfer of lifetime service for a fee, like half new purchase
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 AM   #21
scandia101
Just the facts ma'am

Quote:
Originally Posted by philhu View Post
That is one of my pet peeves about tivo. No upgrade discount, no tools to transfer programs to a new tivo and very flakey season pass transfer options. Tivohd to premiere do not work right

Worse is not allowing transfer of lifetime service for a fee, like half new purchase
That is one of my pet peeves about tivo. I'm entitled, but they won't give me what I want.

Worse is not allowing transfer of product lifetime service to another product for a fee, like half new purchase

Old 07-25-2013, 07:52 PM   #22
willp2

Agreed. It's almost like Tivo isn't interested in keeping or gaining new customers.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:03 PM   #23
philhu
User Since Day ONE!

I think they see their future as suing companies like dish and closed circuit broadcasts to govt and hospitals
Tivo Premiere (2tb HD)
Old 07-26-2013, 01:45 PM   #24
andyw715

Our TWC has been adding/removing/moving channels almost weekly around here.

I finally got the dreaded message about running out of program data on 7/7/2013. That day came and passed and guide data still existed and everything recorded properly.

Seem like trying to reselect what programming package you have does the trick (maybe the cable co renames the package or something).

So I went through the smallish Q&A about what is on which channel and picked my programming package.

Seems to work fine now.
andyw715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:20 AM   #25
willp2

So I bit the bullet and picked up a Premier 4 tonight. Plugged it in, flashes the welcome screen the all the leds and the screen flash over and over again and it never boots

I think the universe is telling me to give up on Tivo.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #26
HomeUser

Well Mr Freeling you might want to move you and your family out of that house at 4267 Roxbury Street.

Seriously, did you have any problems exchanging the broken DVR from where you picked it up?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:18 AM   #27
nooneuknow
TiVo User Since 2007

Quote:
So I bit the bullet and picked up a Premier 4 tonight. Plugged it in, flashes the welcome screen the all the leds and the screen flash over and over again and it never boots

I think the universe is telling me to give up on Tivo.
That usually is an indication that the drive isn't connected, or the TiVo can't sense that there is one.

Sometimes, it's just poor Quality Assurance/Control, and if you pop the lid, you may find the drive isn't plugged in, or isn't plugged in completely.

If you don't care to pop open the case, I'd just exchange it, if purchased at a local retail store.
nooneuknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 06:49 PM   #28
willp2

I've got no problem opening these things and wish I would have thought to do that. I returned it yesterday as they didn't have anymore in stock to exchange. So I'm back to square 1.

I think for the moment I'll put in a new hard drive in the HD as I have a spare 2TB drive. I was hoping to not go through that again on this old system, but I'm going through withdrawals and need something until I get a long term solution.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #29
HomeUser

Probably best that you returned it. If there was enough vibration / force to disconnect the cable no telling what else may of been damaged. Did you check how long it would take to get a replacement?
Old 07-29-2013, 01:11 AM   #30
willp2

Not really sure. I got it from the local Frys and could try at BestBuy. If I decide to stick with Tivo, I'll probably just order it from Amazon.

Right now I am thinking seriously about Directv. With discounts they offer through Costco and AAA, it looks like I can get into a whole house DVR with all the hardware I need for several TVs and save around $400-$500 over 2 years. More if you factor in the cost of a new Tivo and I'd still wouldn't have a whole house DVR.

I've never been a huge fan of Satellite, but money talks.